Do I need nutes?

Vetro78

420 Member
Hi first time grower long time smoker:rollit:so I'm using ffof and there seems to be a split on adding nutes or not. I have 4 og kush plants from seed in a small home made grow box(30w x32t x16w) plants are 14 in tall and I started flower light schedule . Homemade 100w 110v cob chips full spectrum. I trust the good folks on this site on weather nutes are needed. 1 gal pots. Using big bloom 4tbsp/gal.
Thanks in advance Mark

Attachments

• 20200304_184103.jpg
    20200304_184103.jpg
    568.5 KB · Views: 86
:welcome: to :420:Mark

Hi first time grower long time smoker:rollit:so I'm using ffof and there seems to be a split on adding nutes or not. I have 4 og kush plants from seed in a small home made grow box(30w x32t x16w) plants are 14 in tall and I started flower light schedule . Homemade 100w 110v cob chips full spectrum. I trust the good folks on this site on weather nutes are needed. 1 gal pots. Using big bloom 4tbsp/gal.
Thanks in advance Mark
You should have been feeding once a week, after the seedling stage, just follow the FF nutrient chart...here...
Fox Farms trio.PNG

All in all the plant looks great. It's hard to tell in the pic but maybe a couple of the lowest leaves are turning yellow. If they are it could be a lack of N or the fact she has outgrown the pot.
Nice job :thumb:
Could be nutes like it could be light distance. FFOF is farelly reliable on its own '' giving the.. Let say plant was repoted before flowering... '' always check if watering is adequate and lighting close enough before playing with nute...

If the plants were transplanted before flowering and roots havent reached the outer layer of pots then the soil still has enough nutes left..
the trick with organic soil to limit the amount of nutes needed further down the road by providing enough rich soil for roots développement ... I would suggest starting a brew compost tea '' adding compost to a bucket of water and put an air stone and add a few spoon of unsulfured molasses or small amouth of fish emulision to the mix and let it sit and ferment for a day or two.. do a full watering to all your plant with it.
You can also foliar spray It on the underside of leaf if filter (coffee filter works great)

It will boost microbiological fungus and bacteria within your FFOF soil

And provided very little nutient to leaf but enough to help it bounce back to a healty level more efficiently . Organic nutes needs to breakdown (the job of beneficial bacteria found in compost ) and chemical nutes can easily mean serious damage if wrongly dosed. So little more often is key here.. Bottom leaf always dies so focus on overall health of plant and less on small details that can misslead you out of your way. Use the lower and older leaves deficiency cies has a alert and and newer growth deficiencies as an emergency... Nitrogen is used allot by the plant in the first weeks of flowering has the roots slowly stop developping if the pot is undersized it will need nutrient intakes since the roots will have outgrown its feeding ground

So what to take from this.. If light penetration is deep enought to reach lower canopy leafs and watering is done fully during feeding and the plant pot size is the right sized leaf should be green. If any of these factor aren't in check then fix. If the pots that plant are in are a little too small then the plant will need water more often and nutes will be needed to compasate the lack of ammended organic soil. Good luck

Thanks for the great info it's all much appreciated! I can build and fix anything from metal,wood,glass but growing plants is far from my wheelhouse. While I'm on the subject of glass anyone have experience with using mirrors in grow room/box?
I own a custom glass company and I've been thinking of making custom glass grow box with mirror interior.

Thanks in advance Mark
If you just follow the chart you will be fine, don't try brewing tea unless your in organic soil, it's a waste of money and time:thumb:

Could be nutes like it could be light distance. FFOF is farelly reliable on its own '' giving the.. Let say plant was repoted before flowering... '' always check if watering is adequate and lighting close enough before playing with nute...

If the plants were transplanted before flowering and roots havent reached the outer layer of pots then the soil still has enough nutes left..
the trick with organic soil to limit the amount of nutes needed further down the road by providing enough rich soil for roots développement ... I would suggest starting a brew compost tea '' adding compost to a bucket of water and put an air stone and add a few spoon of unsulfured molasses or small amouth of fish emulision to the mix and let it sit and ferment for a day or two.. do a full watering to all your plant with it.
You can also foliar spray It on the underside of leaf if filter (coffee filter works great)

It will boost microbiological fungus and bacteria within your FFOF soil

And provided very little nutient to leaf but enough to help it bounce back to a healty level more efficiently . Organic nutes needs to breakdown (the job of beneficial bacteria found in compost ) and chemical nutes can easily mean serious damage if wrongly dosed. So little more often is key here.. Bottom leaf always dies so focus on overall health of plant and less on small details that can misslead you out of your way. Use the lower and older leaves deficiency cies has a alert and and newer growth deficiencies as an emergency... Nitrogen is used allot by the plant in the first weeks of flowering has the roots slowly stop developping if the pot is undersized it will need nutrient intakes since the roots will have outgrown its feeding ground

So what to take from this.. If light penetration is deep enought to reach lower canopy leafs and watering is done fully during feeding and the plant pot size is the right sized leaf should be green. If any of these factor aren't in check then fix. If the pots that plant are in are a little too small then the plant will need water more often and nutes will be needed to compasate the lack of ammended organic soil. Good luck
I'm just going to say, WRONG!!
To add a little info... Its always great to seek info on the strain you sre growing some strain are more demanding then other like OG kush likes low humidity temperature that are cooler 65-80 (68-72 been a sweet spot) compost to boost imunity to powdery mildow and such and they will need a boost of calcium and magnésium..
A little better but, anything below 68F w/o a fan blowing on it will get PM
Thanks for the great info it's all much appreciated! I can build and fix anything from metal,wood,glass but growing plants is far from my wheelhouse. While I'm on the subject of glass anyone have experience with using mirrors in grow room/box?
I own a custom glass company and I've been thinking of making custom glass grow box with mirror interior.
No mirrors :thedoubletake::thedoubletake: they reflect the heat as well as the light and may burn your plants, mylar emergency blankets are cheap at walmart :thumb:

Again, just follow the FFOF nutrient chart and your ladies will be beautiful...no need to make it harder than it needs to be...I have used FFOF and the trio nutrient line for some time now with excellent results...no need for anything else..

If you just follow the chart you will be fine, don't try brewing tea unless your in organic soil, it's a waste of money and time:thumb:

I'm just going to say, WRONG!!

A little better but, anything below 68F w/o a fan blowing on it will get PM

No mirrors :thedoubletake::thedoubletake: they reflect the heat as well as the light and may burn your plants, mylar emergency blankets are cheap at walmart :thumb:

Again, just follow the FFOF nutrient chart and your ladies will be beautiful...no need to make it harder than it needs to be...I have used FFOF and the trio nutrient line for some time now with excellent results...no need for anything else..

Great response.. But you can't say wrong whitout explaining what is wrong... Loke im saying.. I'm pointing out factors that causes lower leafs to turn yellow and reasons. Thoses aren't wrong.... They are actually right... Lack of water lack of light lack of nutes will have this effect..... Roots system stop developping into flowering that is a fact.. The reason we don't transplant into flowering... Brew tea was mention for organic soil... And chem nute was mention to be used is small amount more often rater then used full amount every now and then... Chart are for people that are starting and need an understanding... Those who understand there plants need don't follow chsrts because all strain meets diffrent need... Nothing i mention was wrong.. Unless you proved me wrong...

Great response.. But you can't say wrong whitout explaining what is wrong... Loke im saying.. I'm pointing out factors that causes lower leafs to turn yellow and reasons. Thoses aren't wrong.... They are actually right... Lack of water lack of light lack of nutes will have this effect..... Roots system stop developping into flowering that is a fact.. The reason we don't transplant into flowering... Brew tea was mention for organic soil... And chem nute was mention to be used is small amount more often rater then used full amount every now and then... Chart are for people that are starting and need an understanding... Those who understand there plants need don't follow chsrts because all strain meets diffrent need... Nothing i mention was wrong.. Unless you proved me wrong...
Well first Fox Farms soil is not organic, it has good stuff yes, but organic, no...I make my own organic soil for my outside vegetable garden. It's all decomposed leaves & grass cuttings, cow/horse manure, coffee grinds, fish guts, worm castings, chicken guano...etc...etc.

Fox Farms is a PH buffering soil, which means it buffers the PH to between 6.3 and 6.8 just right for cannabis, but if you add microbes and beneficial bacteria and start making teas...well the microbes and beneficial bacteria are going to die, and the tea a waste of time because the good stuff that would benefit from the tea is dead because you have epsom salts, and garden lime in the soil which is what buffers your PH....and yes the chart is just a reference for noobs like this guy, but if followed your girls will be bigger, happier, healthier and give you awesome buds at harvest time

Not saying all your info was wrong, but it was wrong to throw all that at a noob, he needs the basics first then after he's comfortable, he can go full on experienced level...and BTW roots continue to grow after they start flower, hence air and fabric pots for air pruning the roots as they continue to grow...I've only been growing since '07 and I'm still learning but open to new things :peace::snowboating:

Well first Fox Farms soil is not organic, it has good stuff yes, but organic, no...I make my own organic soil for my outside vegetable garden. It's all decomposed leaves & grass cuttings, cow/horse manure, coffee grinds, fish guts, worm castings, chicken guano...etc...etc.

Fox Farms is a PH buffering soil, which means it buffers the PH to between 6.3 and 6.8 just right for cannabis, but if you add microbes and beneficial bacteria and start making teas...well the microbes and beneficial bacteria are going to die, and the tea a waste of time because the good stuff that would benefit from the tea is dead because you have epsom salts, and garden lime in the soil which is what buffers your PH....and yes the chart is just a reference for noobs like this guy, but if followed your girls will be bigger, happier, healthier and give you awesome buds at harvest time

Not saying all your info was wrong, but it was wrong to throw all that at a noob, he needs the basics first then after he's comfortable, he can go full on experienced level...and BTW roots continue to grow after they start flower, hence air and fabric pots for air pruning the roots as they continue to grow...I've only been growing since '07 and I'm still learning but open to new things :peace::snowboating:
Nice nugs!! I never thought I'd say that to another dude..lol :laugh:

After reading on limestone and espom salt i've came to a conclusion that limestone is good for organic soil and will not harm beneficial bacteria enough to kill it epsom salt will kill some beneficial bacteria but not much... In conclusion subcool and all these organic grower would not add limestone and epsom salt to their mix if it wasent beneficial to the bacteria... And all it take to make ffof organic living soil is to had compost to it and brew tea for added beneficial bacteria... And has for brewing tea.. This cost me about 10 cent... And foxfarm ocean forest is 100% natural and organic i went to the local hydro store a few hours ago to get equipement for my F2 pheno selection (about to pop 144beans ) and i saw it was natural

Attachments

• 1583539133299223359945270889196.jpg
    1583539133299223359945270889196.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 45
Well even though I'm a noob at growing I believe all your info is valuable. I repotted and hit them with big bloom and opensesame and they perked up and pushed out new upper leaves.

Attachments

• 20200308_092906.jpg
    20200308_092906.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 20200308_092904.jpg
    20200308_092904.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 53
Hi all I've been busy trying to save my business
During these trying times. But I was reporting in on my first grow. Things have been growing well
And I am 4.5 weeks into flower my buds are not very big but my pistols are turning brown should I harvest? Also I've switched to three 2ft ho t5 lights 2 with flower bulbs and one with full spectrum is this enough light. Thanks in advance.
Mark

Attachments

• 20200430_182022.jpg
    20200430_182022.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20200419_134931.jpg
    20200419_134931.jpg
    627.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 20200419_134801.jpg
    20200419_134801.jpg
    573.5 KB · Views: 49
No wait a little longer. Do not base on colors of trichome on to the sugar leaf. They are usually mor mature then the actual flower. And are often teimmed away.. 4.5 weeks is to young.. Look at the info on the strains you grow. And look for dairy of people who grew the same strain. They will tell ya if they took 8-9-10 weeks. Make an average of what you can find and look to be in that range. If most say they harvested at 9 weeks for same strain from same conoaniy then an average of 9 weeks could be taken. Of course dark oeriods can have an effect in the speed. But i wouls wait til most of hair have turned.. And if you can see the tricho. Es till the are completely milk and clear trichomes are less then 10% on average places you look. Amber trichome is a good indicator of ripeness. When you start seeing amber trichome the widow is open for harverst. 10% clear 10% amber. 80% milky. Is a good spot. No clear crystal mostly milky with anything below 30% amber is another.. Above this it over rippen. And with more clear cristal its under rippen.. Not much strain are ready under 55 days. Most take minimum 8 weeks

Back
Top Bottom