Does fluctuations in temperature during drying effect bud quality?

Heat is the enemy of drying so you are good. Only concern would be dew point causing condensation. As temp drops the RH goes up with the same amount of moisture in the air. As long as you are burping the moisture out in the day you should be fine at night. Slow dry and cure gives the best smoke.

How is the moisture getting out of the plastic bag? Sounds like you've created a sauna.

The moisture doesn't exit the bag, I have cat litter in the form of silica sand in the bottom of the paper bags to absorb the moisture from the air, then I have newspaper over the cat litter to put the buds on. In theory the silica sand should also absorb moisture from the buds through the paper that the buds are sitting on.

Don't mean to butt in here :hmmmm: but the longer your weed takes to dry, the smoother it will be :passitleft:IF and only "if" I had to dry outside I'd get/make a decent size dog house and close it off as well as possible to use as a drying "place" :high-five:
I personally have a dedicated closet, with a DIY drying rack with an extraction fan, I hang my "plucked" buds "just the bigger leaves" for 3 days, then it's dry enough to run through my hand crank trimmer, and then back into mason jars, to slowly finish the drying process over at least a month, if not two :slide:then if I have excess I stick in my deep freeze till I need it :thumb::snowboating: just my 2 cents :hmmmm: okay, okay, inflation raised it to a dime :rofl::peacetwo:

I would say so. The lack of control you have in the environment could be an issue. Then again, even in a controlled environment you can ruin your bud. Just monitor them regularly. Watch for temps, humidity, and bugs.

Don't mean to butt in here :hmmmm: but the longer your weed takes to dry, the smoother it will be :passitleft:IF and only "if" I had to dry outside I'd get/make a decent size dog house and close it off as well as possible to use as a drying "place" :high-five:
I personally have a dedicated closet, with a DIY drying rack with an extraction fan, I hang my "plucked" buds "just the bigger leaves" for 3 days, then it's dry enough to run through my hand crank trimmer, and then back into mason jars, to slowly finish the drying process over at least a month, if not two :slide:then if I have excess I stick in my deep freeze till I need it :thumb::snowboating: just my 2 cents :hmmmm: okay, okay, inflation raised it to a dime :rofl::peacetwo:
IF he had any of those options, he might use some of them.

I don't have much control over how long the buds will take to dry, I can only cross my fingers and hope for a slow dry.

The amount of buds in each paper bag and the volume of silica sand in the paper bags will effect the dry time, and since I have never dried this way before I have no idea how long it will take.

I dried about an OZ in a paper bag (without silica sand) in on and off high humid conditions and it took only 8 days before it was ready to be jarred. But that was only an OZ, I'm drying about 4 OZ's in each paper bag now and I've got to hope I didn't put too much silica sand in or not enough, all I can do is keep an eye on the buds.

I dried in the woods with whatever I could piece together for 30 years before I could finally move indoors. In all those years I certainly lost some terpenes and cannabinoids to heat and light but only one case of mold. Grow sight was compromised the week I planned to harvest anyway. Chopped the plants, threw them in tied up trash bags, and stashed them in the garage rafters until I could setup a new place to dry them the fallowing day. A month latter I found one of the bags had fallen behind a box and rotted in the bag. Mold only grows if the moisture can not get out. Mold is the only thing that makes buds unsmokable.

Sounds to me like you got an attitude, for me giving my opinion, are you having a bad day or are you just an ass
You are missing context. This is the third(?) thread on the subject. He has partially explained the situation each time but not realizing that everyone hasn't heard the full story. Trying to find an option that works in his limited situation that's better than just throwing it in the trash. The he has nervous aggravation that all his work may go to waste without the space or equipment to do it right.

You are missing context. This is the third(?) thread on the subject. He has partially explained the situation each time but not realizing that everyone hasn't heard the full story. Trying to find an option that works in his limited situation that's better than just throwing it in the trash. The he has nervous aggravation that all his work may go to waste without the space or equipment to do it right.
This is because he has been forced into a guerilla grow for the last several years.

As you have pointed out each year that he attempts a grow he has several threads where he is trying to figure out ways of keeping his grow from being discovered by law enforcement, being found and ripped off by other growers, fighting the weather or animals, getting his seeds or seedlings to the location, his attempts at keeping his plants alive, and then the harvesting and getting it home.

At the start and finish of each grow @Phillybonker has several threads about that years efforts. I look at the the threads as if they are journals but without the all the photos;).

Ah I gotcha :passitleft: still no reason to be an ass to someone like OP was to me up there, that is why we're here to grow some stress relief :peacetwo:

This is because he has been forced into a guerilla grow for the last several years.

As you have pointed out each year that he attempts a grow he has several threads where he is trying to figure out ways of keeping his grow from being discovered by law enforcement, being found and ripped off by other growers, fighting the weather or animals, getting his seeds or seedlings to the location, his attempts at keeping his plants alive, and then the harvesting and getting it home.

At the start and finish of each grow @Phillybonker has several threads about that years efforts. I look at the the threads as if they are journals but without the all the photos;).
Well :hmmmm: thanks for filling in the blanks there @SmokingWings :passitleft:I didn't check the similar threads, so I had no idea he was trying to grow gorilla style :peacetwo:

Ah I gotcha :passitleft: still no reason to be an ass to someone like OP was to me up there, that is why we're here to grow some stress relief :peacetwo:
Philly is the OP and Sweet was the one who rubbed you wrong. Sweets a good guy but his short answer came off sounding bad. I don't think it was meant that way. The topic on the right way to do it has been covered but the only option OP has is outside the box gorilla alternatives. No secure space or equipment at his disposal is what sweet was trying to say.

Back
Top Bottom