Does fluctuations in temperature during drying effect bud quality?

The buds are in brown paper grocery bags that are in plastic bags.

oh - that can sweat them. it's not something you want. the paper bag will help but the silica / cat litter whatever can also impart bad things if not careful if it sweats.

they should dry up pretty quick outdoor unless you are in a really humid area. do you know the ambient rh ?
also are you using jars, grove bags, or buckets with gamma seals for the cure ?

I'd definitely be opening those black plastic bags for an hour or so.

I can open the bags but it's 95% humidity outside in the mornings when I check up on the bags, I'm not sure if airing the bags in that sort of humidity is beneficial or not, what do you think?

Also replace the kitty litter as soon as possible and as often as possible. It will absorb the moisture but it will release the moisture if it's trapped inside the black plastic.

I'm going to need something stronger than kitty litter, I'm thinking of damprid, this will definitely dry the weed although it will put me in danger of drying it far too fast, I was thinking of putting it in a bag or two with the buds at the start of night time and removing it during the day so the damp ride doesn't ruin the buds with a fast dry, idk🤔

How did the dry in the rain go.

15%-20% losses to mold after 2.5 days sitting in the bags (without airing the bags). New game plan is required.

oh - that can sweat them. it's not something you want. the paper bag will help but the silica / cat litter whatever can also impart bad things if not careful if it sweats.
Hmmmm I'll remove the plastic bags and just sit the paper bags on top of the plastic bags under a tarp to protect it from the rain.

they should dry up pretty quick outdoor unless you are in a really humid area. do you know the ambient rh ?

RH is between 70% and 95%.

also are you using jars, grove bags, or buckets with gamma seals for the cure ?

I'll be using jars.

I can open the bags but it's 95% humidity outside in the mornings when I check up on the bags, I'm not sure if airing the bags in that sort of humidity is beneficial or not, what do you think?

I'm going to need something stronger than kitty litter, I'm thinking of damprid, this will definitely dry the weed although it will put me in danger of drying it far too fast, I was thinking of putting it in a bag or two with the buds at the start of night time and removing it during the day so the damp ride doesn't ruin the buds with a fast dry, idk🤔

15%-20% losses to mold after 2.5 days sitting in the bags (without airing the bags). New game plan is required.
I tried to tell you that you put them in a sauna!! I'd consider (or at least test some) by putting the buds in grove bags and hanging them in the shade. with plastic loosely draped over the top of them (like a lean-to) as rain protection.

I tried to tell you that you put them in a sauna!!

Yep it appears I created a sauna for the buds. But I've got a new game plan to save the rest of the buds, I'm going to hit em with the heavy duty stuff now - damprid. This will bring the RH down real low, in fact too low. I'll put it in the bags with the buds at night and remove the damprid during the day to try and slow the dry.

I'd consider (or at least test some) by putting the buds in grove bags and hanging them in the shade. with plastic loosely draped over the top of them (like a lean-to) as rain protection.

First I've heard of grove bags, only available online where I'm at and these most likely won't arrive till next week . Something I can experiment with next grow season, or better yet I'll experiment with the grove bags before next grow season using some sort of other plant material.

RH is between 70% and 95%.

uh oh you need something drier brother. in the open under a tarp like you mention is better if you can. that's well into mold rh. keep a lot of air between the hanging plants.

I'll be using jars.

nothing wrong with that. buckets with gamma lids were the got to for a while if you had to take down bigger weight. they allow burping of large amounts for cure. just a consideration. I prefer glass for personal myself.

uh oh you need something drier brother. in the open under a tarp like you mention is better if you can. that's well into mold rh. keep a lot of air between the hanging plants.

Not hanging plants, just the buds fully trimmed as I figure that will be less plant material to dry.

nothing wrong with that. buckets with gamma lids were the got to for a while if you had to take down bigger weight. they allow burping of large amounts for cure. just a consideration. I prefer glass for personal myself.

I'll look into buckets with gamma lids if I ever get bigger weight to the curing point. No danger of that at the moment though.

are you dealing with a lot of water / rain / mist in the air or just high rh ?

edit : any chance you can clandestinely shovel them in a fridge ? i have a friend whose wife has banished his curing to their garage and he does the fridge method.

are you dealing with a lot of water / rain / mist in the air or just high rh ?

I'm dealing with on and off rain for the next 3 days and high RH.

edit : any chance you can clandestinely shovel them in a fridge ? i have a friend whose wife has banished his curing to their garage and he does the fridge method.

I'm drying in the bush so no electricity unfortunately, even if there was electricity my fridge is broken.:(

I'm going to try a moisture absorber called DampRid which is not recommended for drying weed by those that have tried it because it dries the weed out way too fast. But I'll put it into the plastic bags during the nighttime (when low temps hopefully help slow the dry) and remove it during the daytime. It will be in the plastic bags not the paper bags where the buds will be. I'll have the paper bags folded over at the top, so lightly closed. Hopefully that DampRid can't pull moisture through paper bags too quickly.

I'll also air the paper bags twice a day.

I'm dealing with on and off rain for the next 3 days and high RH.

I'm drying in the bush so no electricity unfortunately, even if there was electricity my fridge is broken.:(

I'm going to try a moisture absorber called DampRid which is not recommended for drying weed by those that have tried it because it dries the weed out way too fast. But I'll put it into the plastic bags during the nighttime (when low temps hopefully help slow the dry) and remove it during the daytime. It will be in the plastic bags not the paper bags where the buds will be. I'll have the paper bags folded over at the top, so lightly closed. Hopefully that DampRid can't pull moisture through paper bags too quickly.

I'll also air the paper bags twice a day.
You do realize that when Damprid absorbs enough water it turns into a liquid brine. If it soaks through the paper bag the weed will be toast (toxic)!

You do realize that when Damprid absorbs enough water it turns into a liquid brine. If it soaks through the paper bag the weed will be toast (toxic)!
This is what I was referring to when I suggested kitty litter under silica packs. Silica gel is nontoxic and safe to ingest. It is labeled "do not eat" because it's a choking hazard. It can stick to the moist walls of your throat. Even if it is safe, I don't imagine it would improve the quality of the smoke if they mixed.

Hold on, to be clear, what have you been using when you say silica? Silica-gel or silica-sand? Silica sand is what gets in your shoes at the beach. Silica gel come in the shoe when you first buy them. They are not interchangeable. You need silica gel like damprid partially buried in the cat litter. Sand will not help and would most likely make it worse. Sand and sand stone are used in cigar humidors to keep humidity up.

My buds smell like toilet freshner because the DampRid was scented with lavender. The DampRid hang packets didn't work and I lost another 10% to mold.

Plan C - I've got some non-scented DampRid but in plastic tubs rather than hang packets, I think this will work better.

Zon

Screenshot_20240410_163852_Chrome.jpg

This is what I was referring to when I suggested kitty litter under silica packs. Silica gel is nontoxic and safe to ingest. It is labeled "do not eat" because it's a choking hazard. It can stick to the moist walls of your throat. Even if it is safe, I don't imagine it would improve the quality of the smoke if they mixed.

Hold on, to be clear, what have you been using when you say silica? Silica-gel or silica-sand? Silica sand is what gets in your shoes at the beach. Silica gel come in the shoe when you first buy them. They are not interchangeable. You need silica gel like damprid partially buried in the cat litter. Sand will not help and would most likely make it worse. Sand and sand stone are used in cigar humidors to keep humidity up.

I was using silica sand, after that I used lavender scented DampRid hang packets....I can't get the smell out of my nose.

Back
Top Bottom