Does Gorilla Glue Need Carbon Filter?

While its true that Amsterdam seed banks were made famous by U.S. strains. It did create a environment for growers to breed and swap strains and genetics. This Early U.S. breeders D.J. Short and Soma moved to have a better environment for breeding. DNA and others followed. Now in Cal, Colo, Wa, where breeding is happening on a large scale. Tons of new strains and a few great ones. The interesting thing is only a couple will stand the test of time.

DANG! This thread has mutated!
:)

That's a joke there...not being serious*

That's funny about the Durban and Bubblegum...but understandable as well.

While its true that Amsterdam seed banks were made famous by U.S. strains. It did create a environment for growers to breed and swap strains and genetics. This Early U.S. breeders D.J. Short and Soma moved to have a better environment for breeding. DNA and others followed. Now in Cal, Colo, Wa, where breeding is happening on a large scale. Tons of new strains and a few great ones. The interesting thing is only a couple will stand the test of time.

Agreed. There's very, very, very little "that will stand the test of time." The current genetics market is approximately 99.8% absolute garbage. The real trick is, knowing what isn't. And with the "green rush" full of people drooling to cash in on marijuana's newfound legality & above-ground popularity, 99% have no fucking clue what's good & what's not-and that fuels the market for garbage seeds made by dumbasses for (sorry noobs, no offense) dumbasses. Just because there's a shiny Instagram full of overexposed bud shots & shiny ad graphics, and a corresponding YouTube channel featuring some snapback wearing, gangsta wannabe's warehouse garden built on laundered gray market weed money, doesn't mean it's anything other than exactly what it is: A joke. And if you don't think Sessions & the DOJ aren't coming for those guys sooner than later, you aren't a student of history. Think of those clowns as cannon fodder, & a reality show comedy-we certainly do.

Ok, ☕

Hey don't forget the supper strains bred from clone only plants like Gorilla Glue #4 and Girl Scout Cookies. It seams everyone has a clone to breed female seeds from but can't just self it and sell the original. Something is fishy with that shit.

Hey don't forget the supper strains bred from clone only plants like Gorilla Glue #4 and Girl Scout Cookies. It seams everyone has a clone to breed female seeds from but can't just self it and sell the original. Something is fishy with that shit.

Gorilla Glue has about 8 different actual parents. The odds of the "GG4" clone's phenotype showing in resulting progeny is about 10,000,000:1 which makes it not a good breeding mother. But that doesn't stop people from making seeds to cash in on the name. *yawn* Also, I've run the real GG#4 clone & found it wholly unimpressive on many levels. It hit the woodchipper, post haste.
In regards to GSC, the jury is still out on the clone(s) but again, they're polyhybrids so they're not going to breed specific favorable traits through to other polys with any consistency without multiple generations of refinement.
Feminized seeds, in my opinion, suck. As do autos. If one likes fucking around, then hey, grow whatever you like. But if one wants world class results, the best bet is growing normal seeds & selecting P1 stock for superior traits over several cycles. Cutting corners with genetics frequently gets the expected results: Less than superior.
Selfing does not create a "carbon copy" or "original" replica of the parent, and seeds resulting from selfing aren't stable. So people are being smart by not selling selfed seeds, though as shit as this market is, I'm surprised they're not being marketed as the new messiah.
I have some pretty strong, often polarizing opinions, and that's what they are: opinions. YRMV.

Ok, ☕

So people are being smart by not selling selfed seeds, though as shit as this market is, I'm surprised they're not being marketed as the new messiah.

I have wondered why so many "hot new strains" have so many phenotypes.

It's a big money industry, the breeding and selling of cannabis seeds. I can think of a few people who got into it because... well, to spread cannabis as far and as wide as possible. However, I firmly believe that the actual number of such people is dwarfed by the number of people who got into it because, hey, it's a big money industry. And a lot of people whose primary motivation is profit don't want to wait years for the money to start rolling in - they want to get rich, and quickly.

I remember trying to remove the trait of hermaphrodism from Thai sativa for my own personal use back in the day (was never 100% successful). I understand, there is WORK involved. But these days... Do they even try to stabilize the crap they're pushing?

EDIT: I'm afraid to grow out the three "gorilla glue" (not sure if it's one of the "numbers" or just "gorilla glue" with no number) seeds that someone gave me. They exist as the result of a "shim." And I have read that hermaphrodism is associated with at least one variety of Gorilla Glue.

I have read that hermaphrodism is associated with at least one variety of Gorilla Glue.

Correct. It was born of an accidental reversal. And the original" GG#4" clone is also susceptible to reversing under very minimal stress, as I saw, myself. It fit nicely into the woodchipper, & was then neatly filed in the database under "Another Millennial Flavor of the Month That Was All Hype." Moving on... .

Thanks!

The guy that gave them to me said that if I wasn't going to use them soon, he wanted them back. I'll be returning them, along with an explanation of why.

Gorilla Glue has about 8 different actual parents. The odds of the "GG4" clone's phenotype showing in resulting progeny is about 10,000,000:1 which makes it not a good breeding mother.

I over-stated the parents at "eight", it's actually (roughly) five. And if you take other factors into consideration it is probably closer to eight. But for expediency let's say five.

To expound;
Gorilla Glue is allegedly composed of Chem's Sister, Sour Dubb, and Chocolate Diesel.

Chem's Sister is (in theory)
A sativa leaning Northern Lights/Skunk#1 cross.
Chocolate Diesel is Chocolate Thai x Sour Diesel
and
Sour Dubb is Sour Diesel IBL/Bubblegum

So for parents you have:
Northern Lights which is essentially an Afghani inbred line,
Skunk#1, another IBL,
"Chocolate" Thai,
Sour Diesel (clone) (also likely a Skunk/NL phenotype)
Sour Diesel IBL,
and Bubblegum.

In short;
Northern Lights
Skunk #1
Chocolate Thai
Sour Diesel/IBL
Bubblegum

When you factor into account the possible recombinant possibilities of the above lineage, the odds to recreate anything close to the "GG4" clone are, as I stated above, next to impossible. No matter how you approach it. Line breeding, selfing, feminizing, autos... NOPE. There's no math that shows anything other than a total genetic lottery at a billion to one odds. So the people selling "Gorilla Glue" seeds are absolutely, positively full of fucking elephant shit.

Ok, ☕

A little info on selfing. Info from the breeder of a lot of my S-1 seeds is. About 50% will be like the selfed plant the other 50% could be different like in most F-1s. I'm lucky to say with his seeds the 50% other still seems pretty damn good. Its something to think about if you are running just a seed or two of a S-1.
I also have some seeds from him that is 2 females of different strains crossed. They are female seeds so I'm not sure if they can be called F-1s or not. Don't matter his two crosses are punch you in the face strong.
No one! Is stabilizing strains any more. At least not for sale. There is no money in it. Years of selection and back crossing does not make it cost effective any more. People bitch about seed prices all the time. The high dollar strains that reflect years of hard work are past by for cheap copies and crosses that took 6 months to breed.

A little info on selfing. Info from the breeder of a lot of my S-1 seeds is. About 50% will be like the selfed plant the other 50% could be different like in most F-1s.

Doesn't that sort of imply that the parent is not an Fₙ?

A little info on selfing. Info from the breeder of a lot of my S-1 seeds is. About 50% will be like the selfed plant the other 50% could be different like in most F-1s. I'm lucky to say with his seeds the 50% other still seems pretty damn good. Its something to think about if you are running just a seed or two of a S-1.
I also have some seeds from him that is 2 females of different strains crossed. They are female seeds so I'm not sure if they can be called F-1s or not. Don't matter his two crosses are punch you in the face strong.

An F1 hybrid is a cross of two unlike individuals, resulting in the progeny being very homogenous. (For example, landrace indica x landrace sativa.) When an F1 hybrid is inbred, (F1xF1=F2) the resulting ("F2") progeny show wildly diverse traits that swing to either parental side, and are not homogenous. There are very very few true F1 hybrids for sale currently. To my knowledge, the term "F1" cannot be correctly used to describe self'd or feminized seeds.

No one! Is stabilizing strains any more. At least not for sale. There is no money in it. Years of selection and back crossing does not make it cost effective any more. People bitch about seed prices all the time. The high dollar strains that reflect years of hard work are past by for cheap copies and crosses that took 6 months to breed.

People who are tossing pollen indiscriminately for money concern themselves with "cost effectiveness" and wether there's "money in it." And that's A) A shitty business model. And B) Why there's so much garbage seeds being sold. Oh, and C) Fuck Them. The way to do things Right, is "Years of selection & back crossing." The corner cutting, half assed, poly-poly-polyhybrid, cash-grab genetics shitfest currently going on is why out of any 100 things I see to smoke, rarely does ONE bear a second look-Making the cut rate seeds they bought, equal in my mind, to bird seed.

Ok, ☕

More and more older genetics coming back into play. Which is great. While the polyhybrids can pack lots of power. I'm not so sure that strains are getting stronger. Mostly the testing is better so we can see what's really in there.

Here is a question: What strain was the first to test in the 20% THC levels. I think it was White Russian but am not sure.

What strain was the first to test in the 20% THC levels. I think it was White Russian but am not sure.

Recall reading in High Times a long time ago, that the writer of the article believed that all white strains came from White Russian.

The White strains started with White Widow. White Russian is White Widow x AK-47. not sure which one was the male. Funny the queen of all White strains no one knows for sure the genetics. White strains soon became a major breeding component for years to follow. With that 20% THC became common in the next couple years.

Back in the day my friend couldn't find White Russian so he bred his own from the AK-47 he already had and some White Widow from a friend. Those genetics are still in some of the strains I am growing today.

The White strains started with White Widow.

Honestly, I wouldn't know either way. The HT article was debating the source for white strains and said they thought all white strains sprang from White Russian. It may well be WW, but do not recall WW being mentioned in the article. The person postulating W.Russian seemed to be an informed person and said they researched it back and it appeared whites went back to WR.

Doesn't really matter to me...I don't care much for WW and never had WR.

:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom