Dread's 1st Indoor Hydro Grow.

Doctor Dread

Nug of the Month: 3rd Place Winner
Hey everyone, howzit? :smokin:

I am going to try my hand at hydro. I recently built a Deep Water Culture hydro system, but its only until now that I have the space to get it up and growing. It is basically a DWC with feeder tubes that go directly into the net pots...

I will be using the closet that houses my other grow, so the environment will be the same. 150w HPS, 4 42w CFL. Soon to be upgraded with a 400w HPS next paycheck. Intake and exhaust fan on either side keep the closet anywhere from 86-92 degrees (hot, I know).

I'm using Botanicare Nutrients. Pro-Grow, Pro-Bloom, and Liquid Karma. I also have Cal/Mag plus because I'm using Distilled R/O water. Rockwool and hydroton will be used as the grow medium.

Here's my setup:
Feb_23_Pictures_0121.JPG

Feb_23_Pictures_010.JPG

Feb_23_Pictures_008.JPG

002199.JPG

Seeds are germinating right now. Gifted to me from a friend. He brought back a variety of seeds from his hometown in Oregon. should be fun to see how they do. I have no idea of the strain, but Ive been told its medical grade.

Wish me luck!! :cheer:

Thanks alot for the reps an checkin' out my setup Butcher.

My friend just came back from his summer break in his home town, Eugene Oregon. He brought back about 10 seeds for me and him to try out. We don't know the strain but he knows its medical. I am germinating 2 right now. I was going to wait and just grow clones of my soil plants, but I couldn't resist getting some Oregon genetics in my garden. Hopefully I will pull out two females first try, if not I have more seeds.

Thanks DWF. I appreciate it man.

I'm in doc;)

I like your setup with the direct feed to the roots. I saw a tote setup on ebay recently where there was a pvc "T" coming off the pump with 8 fairly coarse spray nozzles screwed into the top of the "T". The add claimed that the coarse spray nozzles wouldn't clog as easily as finer spray heads, but your design has much less chance of clogs than anything with spray nozzles.

:goodjob:

+rep

ss

Butch: Yeah man I'm very grateful to have some west coast genetics in my garden, even if I don't know the strain! Stay tuned.

SS: Thanks alot man, glad you stopped by. I have seen the setups like you are talking about. I wasn't really feeling the whole spray nozzle setup. I'm sure if the nozzles worked correctly without clogging issues, it might be more effective than my method. I'm just going for simplicity. The fact that the feeder tubes are in direct contact with the roots will be a plus throughout the grow. Who need drippers when you can just shove the damn thing in the root mass? Thanks for the rep as well.

The two seeds have broke the top of the RW cubes... The cotyledons have yet to break out of their shell, but when they do I'll throw a couple pictures up.

Sweetness Dr Dread you got both realms in there, wet and dry very cool! I'll be watching all the way. Keep +Rep if I can for the DIY on your hydro set up. :popcorn:

Yeah SS I'm running two 10'' stones in the res... The roots should be very happy!

Thanks alot for the rep and for checkin things out DT!

Peace guys pics of the babies tonight after work!

I was at the hardware store today, and they had 4 and 8-way manifolds that could be used to send direct lines to more netpots. Each line even had its own flow adjustment.

They use 1/4" tubing, not 1/2" like it looks you got above, but that would still flow pretty well I think.

Nice man I'll take a look next run to the depot. My original idea was to have six 3'' net pots, and 1/4 inch tubing. For some reason the pump I bought wouldn't run 1/4'' so 1/2'' it was.

I want to give it a run through one time to get a basic grip on hydro using the more simple setup. Plus it gives me time to improve and upgrade my equipment and nutrient over the next few months and many paychecks.
I could see myself doing a clone grow with the six or eight pots, I just want to try this thing out with the two pots first. Before I get to much invested in hydro I need to make a res chiller. My res is at a stinky, smelly, nasty 85 degrees... an invitation to algae and bacteria. If this grow works out, then I'll commit. But until then its all learning. :peace:

Almost forgot, thanks for checkin out the grow and for the reps KannabisKid. I'm almost to that damn second bar...

Of course, and I can't wait to see how your current setup works.

I was just mentioning it because it opens up some options down the line as far as using more pots.

When you say your pump wouldn't run 1/4" line, is it an issue of too much restriction to flow or just a connection issue?

If it's a pressure issue, four 1/4" lines would present the same load to the pump as two 1/2" lines. The manifolds I was looking at seemed to have the same kind of threads that connect to those type of pumps, so that should work OK, although I need to verify that.

It actually happened to be a connection issue. I would probably be using the 1/4'' tube right now if it would have worked. It was what I had lying around... But nope I had to go back to the freakin' hydro shop to get 3ft of 1/2'' tubing and a T. Five mile round trip for $3 worth of supplies...

I agree with you totally man. There are many options when it comes to DWC totes. By years end, all aspects of my operation will likely have drastically improved.
I cant wait to get a handle on the workings and intricacies of growing hydroponics over the next few years... Its fascinating stuff and I think its the future as far as growing is concerned. My grandkids are going to ask me, "You used to grow in the dirt? WEIRD...."

Its gonna be fun to learn from this first go round and I'm ready for whatever it has to throw at me... and thanks for taking interest in the grow and my setup man, much appreciated.

Heres a photo of the plant that made it... The other one's cotyledons were brown and the first true leaves never appeared. This is the first time for me that a seed hasn't sprouted. I have another of the same strain germinating right now so I guess one will be a few days behind... oh well.

001160.JPG

Just changed the res... Kept the nutrient at a low ppm. I mixed in ProGrow, Cal/Mag+, Liquid Karma, and Hydroguard. Ph balanced the res to 5.6. I just picked up the Hydroguard today. Anyone have any experience using it?
The one plant that made it initially is still going strong. The seed I germinated to replace the lost one has yet to break out of the shell. Its been above the rockwool for a couple days now so I hope I see some leaves soon.
Noticed some slight discoloration on the new leaves today, I'm thinking it will correct itself after the fresh solution is applied. The plant is looking a bit deformed and unhappy. That's okay though, this is more of a learner than a full time grow.

Check it out: a few days growth...
8/31
013107.JPG

9/2
02541.JPG

9/5
005171.JPG

roots at time of res change.
009132.JPG

Word dude. Thanks. :smokin:

Here is the same root(s) tonight...

01679.JPG

Startin' to yellow up... Light proofing on the sides of the tub need to be finished. And I need to keep a close eye these roots. Any suggestions on keeping a healthy root system?
The res temp is at 80. An additional air pump will be added later this week. Two pumps will help maintain a decent dissolved oxygen level.

Update on plant 3. Dead... never popped out of the seed. That's two now. It grew about 1/2'' tall before it quit growing and eventually died days later.

On to Seed #4. 1/4'' taproot showed this morning after 36hr soak on a heat mat. Placed in rw cube and left on the pad with a dome. It will be staying out of the dwc tub for now. The nutes in the tub are too strong for a sprout and I don't wanna waste another damn seed. This one will be rooted in the cube before it goes into the tub.

Back
Top Bottom