You get a pass just this once. ;)
Thank God, I feel like Jefferey Dahmer when they let him take that boy back up this apartment after he drilled a hole in his head trying to make him a zombie :rofl: phew! Crisis averted!

It was the joint I just smoked @Stunger! My inhibitions were lost traveling through holes in the space time continuum and were clearly lost somewhere deep in the catacombs of Egypt!

So I have a plant that is in week 12 or 13 of flower but is showing zero amber trichomes, even on the sugar leaves. I would say it has about 70% cloudy and 30% clear trichomes. It was grown outside in a 5 gal bucket in Sunshine Mix potting soil. It's too cold for it now to be outside even during the day, so for the last 2 weeks it's been inside my house placed in front of a south facing, sunny window. The plant's overall appearance looks like it is ready to be harvested but I was going to give it another week at least.

I just found this thread and now I'm thinking this plant may be a good candidate to try droughting on. It was last fertigated on the 13th with a gallon of water and bloom nutes. I had about a quart of the nute solution left and gave it to it yesterday morning (I wish I had seen this thread before that.). So do you think this plant would be a good candidate to try this on despite the length of flowering time?

I was thinking I could drought it for the next week and watch the leaves and when they droop the right angle or 11 days elapse (whichever comes first), I could either put it in 48 hrs of darkness on day 10 or right when the leaves are at the right angle then harvest or I could water it and let it recover for a couple of days and then go into the dark before harvest. Could that be a plan or am I too late?

Never too late to try. The 7th week thing was with a shorter flowering plant and I'm not aware that the original study, which is what we all used as a jumping off point, was expanded to longer running plants, or different media, etc. We've been doing a lot of that in this thread.

But, if nothing else, do it for the practice. I never paid all that much attention to leaf wilt angle before so it forces you to notice new things. Of course most of us don't want to see any droop in our flowering plants so staying off the water can take some getting used to for us growers. :eek:

Never too late to try. The 7th week thing was with a shorter flowering plant and I'm not aware that the original study, which is what we all used as a jumping off point, was expanded to longer running plants, or different media, etc. We've been doing a lot of that in this thread.

But, if nothing else, do it for the practice. I never paid all that much attention to leaf wilt angle before so it forces you to notice new things. Of course most of us don't want to see any droop in our flowering plants so staying off the water can take some getting used to for us growers. :eek:
I'm not worried about seeing wilted leaves. The plant was going to be chopped in a week anyway. We are growing these plants for the buds, not the leaves.

I've been backing off on the water a bit anyway since I thought I was getting close to harvest. I watered to run off on Nov. 6th, thinking it might be the last water and I went till the 13th with no water. But when I still didn't see any amber and saw more clears than I like, I decided to feed it again and go another week or so. Right or wrong, I had been told a long time ago by an old grower to stop watering a week before harvest so I have often followed that. If I had seen this thread before the 6th and starting the drought then would have probably been perfect. It would day 11 today! But I think I'm going to go for it. Today is the first day of drought!

I'm not worried about seeing wilted leaves. The plant was going to be chopped in a week anyway. We are growing these plants for the buds, not the leaves.

I've been backing off on the water a bit anyway since I thought I was getting close to harvest. I watered to run off on Nov. 6th, thinking it might be the last water and I went till the 13th with no water. But when I still didn't see any amber and saw more clears than I like, I decided to feed it again and go another week or so. Right or wrong, I had been told a long time ago by an old grower to stop watering a week before harvest so I have often followed that. If I had seen this thread before the 6th and starting the drought then would have probably been perfect. It would day 11 today! But I think I'm going to go for it. Today is the first day of drought!
Welcome over to the droughting fun, Joker. SIP now drought. You're on your way to some awesome grows brother.

I'd also say you might as well just give it a whirl and drought your girl. May help expedite the maturation process as well. I've seen it perpetuated in most of my droughts over the last year.

Welcome over to the droughting fun, Joker. SIP now drought. You're on your way to some awesome grows brother.

I'd also say you might as well just give it a whirl and drought your girl. May help expedite the maturation process as well. I've seen it perpetuated in most of my droughts over the last year.
Thanks Krissi!

I've fallen behind on the SIP thread and need to get caught up.

Probably the main reason for me to try droughting on this plant IS the lack of maturity at this late stage of flower. I've never had a plant go this long with no sign of even a few ambers.

I'm very excited about trying this and seeing what happens. I'm always up for experimenting so this is going to be fun to see what happens!

Being that late in flower I'm guessing it's a sativa, and many of those never show much amber at all. After the drought I'd flash-dry a tester from somewhere on it and see if it's done.
So this is Funky Charms strain from Exotix Genetix. They were some free regular seeds I got from an Indo Expo. According to the box it's a 50/50 hybrid with a flowering time of 56-63 days. So it's not performing like the breeder says for whatever reasons. It did start flowering about 2 weeks later than my other plants. We had a very hot late summer and early fall with temps in the high 90's. So maybe that had something to do with it. Plants of another strain I grew also went a long time (just Harvested them 2 days ago) with few ambers. They were also some free regular seeds but I can't find much info about this strain online (Phoenix Fire from Solfire Gardens), so I don't know if it is Sativa dominant or Indica dominant. But going by the thinner leaves, I would say it was Sativa dominant, but they weren't very tall plants so who knows?

Thanks Krissi!
Anytime!!!
I've fallen behind on the SIP thread and need to get caught up.
I try to get over there, it's a busy place and a great informational thread!
Probably the main reason for me to try droughting on this plant IS the lack of maturity at this late stage of flower. I've never had a plant go this long with no sign of even a few ambers.
This should help bring some out brother, especially on a true hybrid. I read up on it some last night before I fell asleep lol never heard of it before!
I'm very excited about trying this and seeing what happens. I'm always up for experimenting so this is going to be fun to see what happens!
Absolutely and please feel welcome to share your progress and pics here and ask any questions!!

That’s good bud.

NTH
If you could only see into my mind NTH, then you'd really understand :rofl:

I watch the little people shows because I have had this fear of midgets since I can remember. Weird fear, think since they are small and won't cast a big shadow and can hide easily, one will sneak up on me one day, slice my Achilles leaving me unable to flee and a group of them will hoard around me touching my face with their little fingers.

I have tried to watch these shows to acclimate myself and adjust my thoughts. With that said, in this weird brain of mine, I watch these shows and then think odd things to myself. Like I wonder if someone of normal size who fancies the little people, has pedophile tendencies. Like is this their way of releasing this sick innante urge?

Anyway, smoked another one of those just now so here we are in the catacombs of Egypt again.

...everyone wonders why I need to smoke Indica constantly. Imagine this brain on a Sativa? Yikes

Anytime!!!

I try to get over there, it's a busy place and a great informational thread!

This should help bring some out brother, especially on a true hybrid. I read up on it some last night before I fell asleep lol never heard of it before!

Absolutely and please feel welcome to share your progress and pics here and ask any questions!!
I can't say I've specifically tried droughting before but in my first 3 grows, I stopped watering about a week before harvest and those buds came out great, especially since I really didn't know what I was doing.

I've been growing every year outside since 2018 when I stumbled into an Indo Expo that was next to a fly fishing show and an LED light company was giving out free cuttings.

I did one grow before that in 2011 when my Dad had gotten a medical card when he was ill and a dispensary was giving out free clones if you came in and toured their facility. We got some kind of Kush clone and I planted it in a 10 gallon pot with Home Depot branded potting soil for vegetables made by Sun Grow (basically Black Gold) that said it fed for up to 6 months. So I didn't add any nutrients or fertilizers during the veg period. I actually knew nothing about growing cannabis then and didn't even know about the whole photo period thing!

Once I first started seeing buds, I started fertilizing with some Neptune's Harvest fish fertilizer we had laying around maybe once every 2 weeks or whatever the instructions said on the bottle. I looked up a few "how to grow cannabis" articles online and read somewhere that once the trichomes turned cloudy that you should stop watering for a week and then chop and hang the plant to dry. So that is what I did. And for not knowing what I was doing, my buds came out, shockingly good. I continued to stop watering a week before harvest when I started growing again in 2018, and 2019 and all those plants came out great! I tried things different in 2020, 21 and for the first harvests this year but from my past experience, I think the stopping watering a week before harvest had positive effects. Droughting these last 3 plants will be an interesting experience that should have a better effect than just stopping the water for the last week.

This has probably already been posted on here but I don't remember seeing it and in case it hasn't; Here is an interesting interview with Dr. Caplan. Talk about drought stress starts at 50:35

Thanks lola! That's the first time I've seen that and it really helps round out the actual research paper. Besides Caplan saying that drought in a rockwool cube won't elicit the same response in the plant as it would over days in a solid medium (which @Maritimer has stated before), he also mentions that plants grown in water will go through drought stress when salt (NaCl) is added to the water.

Note to our DWC folks to test that!

So I’m on day 5 of droughting my 3 plants. I’ve went up to 6 days between watering with these plants before in the last 3 weeks because they have slowed down their drinking but we’ll see how they start to handle it in a couple of days. So far there is no real droop yet on the big Funky Charms plant. It’s going to be hard to tell on the 2 Phoenix Fire plants since I had trimmed off their fan leaves for harvest last week. Those 2 Phoenix Fire plants are an experiment anyway. The one in the 5 gallon bucket is a late clone from when I lollipoped another plant and the small one was a broken branch from wind that I rooted and replanted. I planted both in 100% leaf mold and have only been giving them water to see how they would grow.

68CC328E-4167-44D1-A392-8663E218A38E.jpeg

C3DF0F86-1A91-47B8-B658-EB6CA8886199.jpeg

3B804E48-7A87-4750-8A64-BCDE7F672F07.jpeg

DF039BBD-796F-4D0C-93C0-5F7383E30D2C.jpeg

So I’m on day 5 of droughting my 3 plants. I’ve went up to 6 days between watering with these plants before in the last 3 weeks because they have slowed down their drinking but we’ll see how they start to handle it in a couple of days. So far there is no real droop yet on the big Funky Charms plant. It’s going to be hard to tell on the 2 Phoenix Fire plants since I had trimmed off their fan leaves for harvest last week. Those 2 Phoenix Fire plants are an experiment anyway. The one in the 5 gallon bucket is a late clone from when I lollipoped another plant and the small one was a broken branch from wind that I rooted and replanted. I planted both in 100% leaf mold and have only been giving them water to see how they would grow.

68CC328E-4167-44D1-A392-8663E218A38E.jpeg

C3DF0F86-1A91-47B8-B658-EB6CA8886199.jpeg

3B804E48-7A87-4750-8A64-BCDE7F672F07.jpeg

DF039BBD-796F-4D0C-93C0-5F7383E30D2C.jpeg
They're looking good! Be wary of other factors like buds getting dry. I've had some strains that never drooped, always had leaves that remained relatively turgid throughout the whole droughting process. I will make sure to note though, try to look at the bottom 1/3 of the leaves, it is those leaves that you want to watch more closely as they will falter first, if they do.

They're looking good! Be wary of other factors like buds getting dry. I've had some strains that never drooped, always had leaves that remained relatively turgid throughout the whole droughting process. I will make sure to note though, try to look at the bottom 1/3 of the leaves, it is those leaves that you want to watch more closely as they will falter first, if they do.
The small plant’s buds seem to be starting to get dry and possibly drying out. The bottom 2/3rds of the leaves are still supple but the top 1/3rd leaves are crispy. I had trimmed the fan leaves off last week for harvest before deciding to try droughting it. With the top bud getting dry, do you think I should harvest it? The first 2 pictures are of this plant.

The other Phoenix Fire plant does not seem to be drying out in the same way. (Second 2 pictures). I had cut its fan leaves off for harvest as well but almost all of its leaves are still supple. The top cola’s leaves are dryer than the lower ones though.

Both plants still have hardly any ambers. The couple of ambers I have found are still very light in color.

615ECF33-1C64-4907-81B6-97C999856A9F.jpeg

F4086413-B5CE-4838-B82D-DF3D2E54F214.jpeg

AC2E81FA-F3DF-44C1-B2E4-6AF3B75A9BFE.jpeg

69B3E21F-F5AB-420C-8EFC-01E5A3E09674.jpeg

The small plant’s buds seem to be starting to get dry and possibly drying out. The bottom 2/3rds of the leaves are still supple but the top 1/3rd leaves are crispy. I had trimmed the fan leaves off last week for harvest before deciding to try droughting it. With the top bud getting dry, do you think I should harvest it? The first 2 pictures are of this plant.

The other Phoenix Fire plant does not seem to be drying out in the same way. (Second 2 pictures). I had cut its fan leaves off for harvest as well but almost all of its leaves are still supple. The top cola’s leaves are dryer than the lower ones though.

Both plants still have hardly any ambers. The couple of ambers I have found are still very light in color.

615ECF33-1C64-4907-81B6-97C999856A9F.jpeg

F4086413-B5CE-4838-B82D-DF3D2E54F214.jpeg

AC2E81FA-F3DF-44C1-B2E4-6AF3B75A9BFE.jpeg

69B3E21F-F5AB-420C-8EFC-01E5A3E09674.jpeg
Hi bud.
2 things.

Do you have a scope?
Next time when you actually start this up from scratch, try to leave the leaves on for her and this process as much as you can.

Other than that, she looks pull-able to me. I'm curious to see what her trichomes look like under a scope.

We have seen some elongation and squiggly coraling features in our plants when droughting and we are beginning to think the morphological changes in the shapes of the trichomes is yet another indication that the droughting is working although we haven't solidified that thought or if it is indicator that the plant has done what it was intended to during the drought.

Curious to see where you stand on readiness and if you have seen more amber emerge since you began in addition to the aforementioned

Back
Top Bottom