The trichome morphology change might also help answer @Maritimer 's issue that his recent drought was cut short because it got too dry too fast and his concern was that was not enough time for the plant defense mechanism to take effect. A change in the trichs could show whether or not that was true.

The trichome morphology change might also help answer @Maritimer 's issue that his recent drought was cut short because it got too dry too fast and his concern was that was not enough time for the plant defense mechanism to take effect. A change in the trichs could show whether or not that was true.
I agree. I don't want to say this but I'm going to say it anyway....

I think we have been relying too strongly on markers and statistics that were not investigated and researched enough. Not that I fault the study at all, I just think we are missing something and I really do think the answer is in the morphological changes of those trichomes-especially after watching the trichime video...

There's just a piece to this puzzle that hasn't been explored in great enough or any detail.

We missed something....even the first few droughts I documented, we saw this trichome phenomenon and just disregarded it. Makes me sad cause we could have been ahead of this game already.....

I'm extremely curious to see what we can find when we start to dig into this some more.

So where are the black light photos :thedoubletake: figured you to have one of those
Nope no black light. I'm curious what a black light kind of gal seems Iike though...that's an interesting thought lol

I agree. I don't want to say this but I'm going to say it anyway....

I think we have been relying too strongly on markers and statistics that were not investigated and researched enough. Not that I fault the study at all, I just think we are missing something and I really do think the answer is in the morphological changes of those trichomes-especially after watching the trichime video...

There's just a piece to this puzzle that hasn't been explored in great enough or any detail.

We missed something....even the first few droughts I documented, we saw this trichome phenomenon and just disregarded it. Makes me sad cause we could have been ahead of this game already.....

I'm extremely curious to see what we can find when we start to dig into this some more.
Help me out here,
Can you tell me more about what markers and statistics you think were not investigated and researched? And statistical analysis should never be underestimated unless we can fault the data through another examination technique. I can tell you for a fact that statistics used in Cap's Thesis are derived using sound principals of mathematical statistical analysis. I can also tell you that the Doctor knows far more now about the mechanics of why he got the results he did back when he was a young student. The guy had never grown before his experiments. Now he makes his living conducting similar cannabis related research. If the price is right, I am sure he could fill in a lot of the gaps.

just sayin :hookah:

Hi Krissi,
BTW I wasn't trying to bust your chops. I am looking for answers to my having a drought unravel on me in my controlled environment. I am becoming convinced the new and improved FSLED may actually be the unravelling agent. I think they are providing the energy to the plant in photons that is superior to the energy supplied under HPS. That makes them uptake faster, grow faster, and yes...dry out faster.

Hope all is well at the house.
Give a call sometime.
Dave

Hi Krissi,
BTW I wasn't trying to bust your chops. I am looking for answers to my having a drought unravel on me in my controlled environment. I am becoming convinced the new and improved FSLED may actually be the unravelling agent. I think they are providing the energy to the plant in photons that is superior to the energy supplied under HPS. That makes them uptake faster, grow faster, and yes...dry out faster.

Hope all is well at the house.
Give a call sometime.
Dave
So with that said is the next thing to try backing off the light intensity during a drought? :idea:

Nope no black light. I'm curious what a black light kind of gal seems Iike though...that's an interesting thought lol
We had that in my first girlfriends cellar with Hendrix, Joplin, Beatles and Peter Max type posters. Any White clothing shone brightly so bras got the spotlight through thin shirts. That was cool to a 15 year old young man! Dental work looked freaky. We had a strobe I built and her dad built a tube type stereo amp to use. LP's of course back then. 8 tracks were about to arrive. We got high for the fun and this was part of it.
That was around 70. Today I walk trails with her husband and we all get together now and then. So if you ask me? A cool gal! :love:

These are some trike shots of the plant I rescued. I think the good times were just getting ready.

This is Northern Lights X Stankberry end of week 7 in flower.

I've said all along that I think the original study was a great start, but hardly exhaustive. And, the more at bats we all get doing this the better the chance we notice something new to explore.

So, I don't think his research was faulty. Quite the contrary. A great jumping off point. And I'm sure if we could get Caplan to join the discussion we'd all learn new things and he might get some new ideas to explore as well.

I think we're expanding or broadening the subject matter. As Maritimer noted he wasn't a grower before so how could he know what changes to even look for in the trichomes? He measured the cannabinoid levels which is the ultimate outcome anyway. And LWA and coralling are both symptoms of a successful attempt, but neither of them is what we are really after.

Makes me sad cause we could have been ahead of this game already.....
I don't feel that way at all. This is plowing all new ground and sometimes it takes several observations and many sets of eyes to notice something new, especially when there was zero reason to be looking for that particular effect.

BUT, now that we have observed it, we can zero in and narrow our focus as we explore this aspect. Who knows, maybe it'll send us down yet another path.

For instance, is there any difference in how CBD heavy strains react vs THC strains or is it more a generalize phenomena?

So I'm in week 7 now.. and well I kinda haven't watered since Saturday and I can see by the hygrometer that they are not evaporating heavy anymore.. so now it's waiting for the wilt?

And how do you finish the drought? straight back in with full feed?
I've just ordered some Calmag as I think they are in need of as I've been using mostly distilled water for the nutes.
I'm thinking that will arrive on Thursday so I wonder how the plants will look by then.
IMG_0703.jpg

So I'm in week 7 now.. and well I kinda haven't watered since Saturday and I can see by the hygrometer that they are not evaporating heavy anymore.. so now it's waiting for the wilt?

And how do you finish the drought? straight back in with full feed?
I've just ordered some Calmag as I think they are in need of as I've been using mostly distilled water for the nutes.
I'm thinking that will arrive on Thursday so I wonder how the plants will look by then.
I don't want to step on Krissi's toes but I'm not seeing a calcium or magnesium deficiency on those leaves...they look great to me.

And waiting for the wilt would be the thing to do during the drought period, and (according to Caplan's research) once they've drooped to 50% of the original angle you give them a rescue drench of whatever you were using before. If that was distilled water then that seems to be working. If it was nutrients then you would use that.

I don't want to step on Krissi's toes but I'm not seeing a calcium or magnesium deficiency on those leaves...they look great to me.

And waiting for the wilt would be the thing to do during the drought period, and (according to Caplan's research) once they've drooped to 50% of the original angle you give them a rescue drench of whatever you were using before. If that was distilled water then that seems to be working. If it was nutrients then you would use that.
yeah it's nog mag deficiency but I bought it because I've been flowering with distilled water and I'm thinking that might be a bit too soft..
Look at the leaf resting against the back wall veins are yellowing and there's a couple others if you look around..
The last thing I gave was distilled water with flowering nutes.. but you only give them a rescue drench?? and then you continue the process? or go back to regular feeding schedule? I'm only a couple pages into the thread..

yeah it's nog mag deficiency but I bought it because I've been flowering with distilled water and I'm thinking that might be a bit too soft..
Look at the leaf resting against the back wall veins are yellowing and there's a couple others if you look around..
The last thing I gave was distilled water with flowering nutes.. but you only give them a rescue drench?? and then you continue the process? or go back to regular feeding schedule? I'm only a couple pages into the thread..
Oh I thought you were just giving them distilled water! If you were giving them flowering nutes then that would be the drench, and carry on with your regular feeding if the plant needs more time.

And if you're seeing a mag def then you should address it. I didn't notice it in the pic but you have a better view than I!

Hi Shed. I'm reading with great interest. I'm pondering droughting this girl. Do you think she's too far along for it to be effective?
Stay stoneder
20221101_111654.jpg
20221101_111624.jpg

Yes they sure are going to need more time.. package says 7-8 weeks.. but looking at them I don't think they'll be ready next week. I think they can put on an extra coat
:goodluck:
Hi Shed. I'm reading with great interest. I'm pondering droughting this girl. Do you think she's too far along for it to be effective?
Personally I don't think that's too far along. Others with more droughting experience should chime in but I'd say you have at least 2 weeks left, so plenty of time to drought.

I was also wondering I did a bit of defoliation and a bit more bending as I found some albino buds that were light starved tucked away under growth but those looked extremely frosty.. might it be the same reaction? as those buds were very pale yellow and at risk of wilting away if not for the extra trichomes.. now that they reached some light I can already see them getting greener.

and grrr I just realised I was in the perfect spot to experiment.. keep continuing watering one plant and drought the other and check if there's a taste, yield difference as they are very similar at the moment.
I still could as if I water one today she hasn't been without for too long day later than I normally would have?

Of course if there is such a noticeable difference I won't be happy it's just one.. haaaaa

Back
Top Bottom