I'm not sure I understand the question. Please clarify.
All I meant was that as a plant matures, more of the CBGa is converted to THCa, which is why you should and expect to see an increase from week to week. Eventually the results show that THCa is going down and CBNa is increasing. This should be happening in every single plant we grow regardless of how we treat it.

Do you harvest when you see CBNa numbers rise?

(indicating diminishing THC and conversion to CBD and CBN)
THC doesn't convert to CBD.

The seed bank estimates a 10 - 11 week flower cycle so I decided to try nine and twelve to compare the effects. All three are excellent.
Breeder's estimates are just what they found under their lights in their environments (or what they think will sell the most seeds!). Most folks grows tend to run longer than that.
I grow in a 2 x 3 cabinet and don't have space for more than one plant or one that is not height limited by training.
My next two or three grows are already booked.
I already have personal experience verifying the improvements in yield and potency obtained by stressing the plant.
I also would have a difficult time not "sculpting" the plant.
I'm not saying you need to run clones and test, just that my reading is that your tests only show that THC increases during ripening, which is expected in all cannabis plants.

I got over here again, finally. Getting caught up stuck in the middle of the video. Taking notes on a piece of receipt paper. Got stopped halfway through the video Azi gave us. So much to bounce off of. I have to go run some motherly duties and finish the video and transfer and continue to take notes and I'll be back.

If you think I'm kidding about receipt paper....

16649959304443461352415922543256.jpg

Thanks so much for everyone putting their minds together for this.

I'll be back later to discuss. Sorry for my ins and outs. Just have a bunch going on.

Oh and everyone here is family...meet my new family...

8 NEW little girls to love on and DROUGHT!,

..like I said, been busy man.

Check in later really gotta go now, baby said, I Will NOT NAP TODAY!

All I meant was that as a plant matures, more of the CBGa is converted to THCa, which is why you should and expect to see an increase from week to week. Eventually the results show that THCa is going down and CBNa is increasing. This should be happening in every single plant we grow regardless of how we treat it.

Do you harvest when you see CBNa numbers rise?

THC doesn't convert to CBD.

Breeder's estimates are just what they found under their lights in their environments (or what they think will sell the most seeds!). Most folks grows tend to run longer than that.

I'm not saying you need to run clones and test, just that my reading is that your tests only show that THC increases during ripening, which is expected in all cannabis plants.
Isn't it possible that THC percentage can also increase due to a stress induced increase in the quantity of trichomes?

Isn't it possible that THC percentage can also increase due to a stress induced increase in the quantity of trichomes?
Caplan proved that drought stress increased the THC and CBD content of his plants, though he didn't mention any increase in the number of trichomes.

All sorts of things are possible, but the only way to discern possible from happening is with a control group of clones. Otherwise it's an interesting observation.

Caplan proved that drought stress increased the THC and CBD content of his plants, though he didn't mention any increase in the number of trichomes.

All sorts of things are possible, but the only way to discern possible from happening is with a control group of clones. Otherwise it's an interesting observation.
One could always read one of many articles, this one from one of our sponsors @Zamnesia

How To Boost Trichome Production In Cannabis

on how stress does in fact increase the production of trichomes.

I suppose the question would be if droughting also causes the same reaction?

One could always read one of many articles, this one from one of our sponsors @Zamnesia
How To Boost Trichome Production In Cannabis
on how stress does in fact increase the production of trichomes.
I suppose the question would be if droughting also causes the same reaction?
Their post is a collection of accumulated anecdotes:
  • Splitting stems: A somewhat controversial practice...
  • Flush cannabis plants to prevent nutrient lockout: Hopefully, the result is greater levels...
  • Water with ice-cold water Another largely unsubstantiated claim...
  • 24–48 hours of total darkness: some growers believe...
We know that droughting causes an increase in THC from Caplan's actual controlled research. I'm only here to point out that without at least running clones side by side with a set of control plants, what we get are folk's interesting experiences. That's fine until I read something like this:
IMPORTANT NOTE
Even with the constant stress, there is a real increase in potency (measured 22% increase of THC

Nothing personal but when I read these kinds of statements I want to make sure they're accurate, hence all my time on this. The fact that you found an increase in THC content the later you tested should be expected by everyone growing cannabis everywhere. Eventually you will see an increase in CBN and a decrease in THC, letting you know it's just beyond harvest time for peak THC. That would be an excellent use of PlantCheck!

Congrats on all those new spouts and on PhOTM for the Alvin pic when you enter it! 📷
Thanks Shed! As for PHOTM, no more entries for me now doing the product reviews! All these photos are just for the sake of science and photography!
Their post is a collection of accumulated anecdotes:
  • Splitting stems: A somewhat controversial practice...
  • Flush cannabis plants to prevent nutrient lockout: Hopefully, the result is greater levels...
  • Water with ice-cold water Another largely unsubstantiated claim...
  • 24–48 hours of total darkness: some growers believe...
We know that droughting causes an increase in THC from Caplan's actual controlled research. I'm only here to point out that without at least running clones side by side with a set of control plants, what we get are folk's interesting experiences. That's fine until I read something like this:

Nothing personal but when I read these kinds of statements I want to make sure they're accurate, hence all my time on this. The fact that you found an increase in THC content the later you tested should be expected by everyone growing cannabis everywhere. Eventually you will see an increase in CBN and a decrease in THC, letting you know it's just beyond harvest time for peak THC. That would be an excellent use of PlantCheck!
I agree, looking for @Plantchek results myself come the end of these two comparative grows. If we need to, I will try to find something more our speed, its worth the expense, I am 100% sure.
Yes we do and we have 10% OFF for the first purchase. Code:

420Mag​

So excited to begin the seedlings under your CT-720! Such a fantastic assortment of lights for each and every grower!
Wow Krissi, you rock!!!!
Aww you're so sweet to me Helpful Henry!

Guys and gals, I met 013 when I first came on here. He was like the bearer of all answers cannabis. He was so pleasant and courteous and directed new and old growers in a way that just touched my heart.

Thanks for keeping this page lit up. I’m so impressed, great garden with killer plants, the droughting study and now product reviewer too. When do you sleep?
I don't sleep much H. Really grateful for you to say such nice things. I'm just a girl from NJ who loves green things and science and talking. A lot of talking. Sleep is for the wicked and I'm too :hippy: for that. Plus, a body in motion stays in motion! Good ol Newt!
Allright Miss 82, I still have another month or two of travels but anxious to catch up here soon!
Safe travels, you are always on the go, don't know how you balance it all!

So guys I told Azi this already but I went ahead and emailed Dr. Punja from the trichome study. I informed him of how we started a thread based off of Caplan's original study and came into some surprising findings in doing so.

I sent him a pic of our trichomes during drought and gave him a brief synopsis of our findings in regards to trichome morphology as of late.

I inquired with several questions and ended the email bearing hopes that he would be interested in learning more of the items we have touched upon.

It is with all fingers crossed that he emails back! We will just have to wait and see.

Until then, I wanted to touch upon some things from the video Azi gave us.

I know I'm always late but you all know I don't like coming over here to talk anything in detail unless I have had time to look it over and think it all through.

Main notes:

Secretory cells are in abundance at the base of the trichome head

Screenshot_20221005-142808_YouTube.jpg

As trichome stalks elongate, trichome heads increase in size-this proportion shows a direct correlation in regards to both maturity and potency

As the stalks elongate, the mini factory within these stalks increases this manufacturing significantly

The manufacturing, of course, is of both terpenes and cannabinoids.

The trichome head has our medicine

Screenshot_20221005-142756_YouTube.jpg

As maturation intensifies, resin is pushed out of the cuticle.

Screenshot_20221008-204520_YouTube.jpg

It is because of this extreme exudation of resin, that it begins to drip down and produce 'blobs' on the heads, becoming so sticky, they attach to other trichome heads.

-This was deemed the 'hot bun' by Dr. Punja.
Screenshot_20221008-214029_Chrome.jpg

I have several thoughts.

Could it be that as the weight of a heavy nug causes a branch to bend, the weight of the increased resin production in drought, causes the trichome stalks to also bend and become mis-shapen?

Could it be that the coraling is a weird phenomenon from so many trichome heads sticking together?

When is the length of the stalk a direct indicator of maturation?

Droughting increases the production of cannabinoids in secretory cells , could the sudden influx/sheer force of pushing all this medicine through the stalks to get to these cells, in fact be the reason why the stalks elongate so much?
In addition, is there a tap-off point on what a secretory cell is capable of producing?

Screenshot_20221005-143512_YouTube.jpg

I'm wondering if we hold any keys to the 2 answers they are still searching for:
1. What causes the stalks to elongate?
2. Why are some stalks longer?

Screenshot_20221005-142931_YouTube.jpg

Happy Droughting!

Hi droughting friends!

Dropping off some cured pics of Stella

As you may remember, she is a Kannabia Gelato-K via @CannaPot.

She was raised under the @Mars Hydro FC4800 using @Prescription Blend and @DYNOMYCO sponsors.

She was droughted for a total of 6.5 days.

Hi droughting friends!

Dropping off some cured pics of Stella

As you may remember, she is a Kannabia Gelato-K via @CannaPot.

She was raised under the @Mars Hydro FC4800 using @Prescription Blend and @DYNOMYCO sponsors.

She was droughted for a total of 6.5 days.

Looking tasty as always!

NTH

Looking tasty as always!

NTH
Hi NTH! Thank you so much!

She's real tasty and really pretty broken up, too. I'd say she's 2/3 purple in her buds complimented with a couple different shades of green. Very lovely smoke, too. Smooth, creative, and uplifting. So creative, I even re-organized my kitchen cabinets two days ago hahaha

Pretty spectacular, Krissi.

6.5 days, eh? That's a lot less than the prescribed 11. I'm really thinking that maybe scoping the trichomes for coralling is the way to tell. Maybe confirm that with LWA if you must, but it's the trichome effect we're after, after all.

Maybe you could do a photo study. Post pics of the trichomes for one particular bud from day 1 until finish to document the morphology change? And maybe couple that with the noted LWA measured with a protractor?

I'm thinking the trichomes must extend and twist a little bit more each day, but maybe not.

I have a plant in drought now and I'm watching the trichs every day for signs. Seems like it's not all that consistent for me. Some buds look normal, others show some elongation. How about yours? Notice any difference in coralling between buds higher up vs low?

Pretty spectacular, Krissi.
I think so! I mean the proof is in the pudding. It really is.
6.5 days, eh? That's a lot less than the prescribed 11. I'm really thinking that maybe scoping the trichomes for coralling is the way to tell. Maybe confirm that with LWA if you must, but it's the trichome effect we're after, after all.
Yep. I am not thinking 11 days is right. I mean. Maybe, it's strain and medium specific but I have just found that each and every plant responds to this at different rates and also reacts differently to the drought itself-be it markers like LWA, leaf texture, color, trichome morphing, etc.
Maybe you could do a photo study. Post pics of the trichomes for one particular bud from day 1 until finish to document the morphology change? And maybe couple that with the noted LWA measured with a protractor?
I got you. I'll be on it with the SSC girl in like 6 weeks and I'll duplicate the study with the next Big Bull and Zombie Death at the end of these winter grows.
I'm thinking the trichomes must extend and twist a little bit more each day, but maybe not.
Absolutely they do
I have a plant in drought now and I'm watching the trichs every day for signs. Seems like it's not all that consistent for me. Some buds look normal, others show some elongation. How about yours? Notice any difference in coralling between buds higher up vs low?
I do, I think I noted that a few posts ago when we were talking trichomes. Bottom buds take longer to coral-goes back to the maturation concept we looked at in the video, I reckon.

Back
Top Bottom