DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

Ok spent some time on the Keg-O-Rater. Made some shelves, they seem strong enough, and the Dehydrator old shelves seem like they will work Good, they are bent down a bit because a couple are a bit too wide, Ill adjust those as well

Ill try this Today after I harvest my last 3 autos

Now I just need to clean it

IMG_20170622_073847890.jpg
IMG_20170622_075906974.jpg

It's nice to see our tax dollars being put to better use. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Ok spent some time on the Keg-O-Rater. Made some shelves, they seem strong enough, and the Dehydrator old shelves seem like they will work Good, they are bent down a bit because a couple are a bit too wide, Ill adjust those as well

Ill try this Today after I harvest my last 3 autos

Now I just need to clean it

IMG_20170622_073847890.jpg
IMG_20170622_075906974.jpg

It's nice to see our tax dollars being put to better use. :cheesygrinsmiley: I haven't been by your yard in too long. :hug: I'll swing by later to drop some harvest reps. :green_ heart:

Dave Groomer, your dry is going along effortlessly. Well done. :high-five: Looking forward to hearing what humidity levels are when you jar it up.

Canyon..... :hug: :love:

I have a harvest coming down tomorrow or Friday. I'll wash some with H2O2 and some with lemon and baking soda and do my own comparison. I already knew unwashed was harsher, so I'll pass on that. I can let a couple buds air dry so I can taste them earlier than weeks from now.

Rad convinced me to hold off a few more days. She'll be coming down within the next week. I haven't forgotten about this.

Good morning,
The new frig is working out nicely. It appears to be drying everything a little faster than in the frost free main one.

I bought the $239.73 model with freezer from the jungle store, shipping included. I was concerned that a frig only would hold too much moisture inside and may be too small. This one is 6.3cf with an 0.8 freezer.

After it was running for a while I added twelve bottled water bottles for ballast. The freezer coils really pull the moisture out of the air. Yesterday I defrosted it and collected about 100ml of water from the tray to get an idea how much I was removing. With two fresh cut plants I am pulling about 20ml per day out of the plants. That will probably slow down as they dry.

DSCN21518.JPG

DSCN21528.JPG

DSCN21536.JPG

DSCN21585.JPG

I have some pictures up on my grow thread of the B Witched and Nightmare Cookies harvest.

NMC at harvest.
DSCN21299.JPG

Let me ask you all this. If you could maintain a consistent humidity of 60~63% in your mini fridge would you consider storing your medicine in the fridge long term vs jars(boveda packs) or other methods?
Like a humidor or a cannador in this case..

Let me ask you all this. If you could maintain a consistent humidity of 60~63% in your mini fridge would you consider storing your medicine in the fridge long term vs jars(boveda packs) or other methods?

I don't see where it'd be any different than keeping it in a sealed jar with Bovedas. What's everyone else think? It's not something I'd considered, to be honest.

I too am interested in the answer to this question so thanks Kreaton for bringing it up. Is there oxygen in the fridge, and does the lack of oxygen in jars help the curing process? My harvest is not for weeks yet but if I can get a spare fridge in that time I'll be jumping in with you all for the dry, and maybe the cure too if something comes of this question. Thanks again :thumb:

I have kept my buds in the freezer for long term storage when I had excess. Keeping open jars of bud long term in a frig could be a mistake. Unwanted odors and unpredictable air exchange could be problems.

I think you would want to bring the buds to room tempter, stabilize the humidity and burp them until they only need it occasionally. After they are stable, the frig sounds like a good idea if you seal them. I am planning to try this. Even so, I will probably check them regularly or use the Bovida bags.

The cold tempters should slow the production of the cannabinoids that require ageing; CBNA, CBN, Delta-8 THC, CBL and CBLA. I have also assumed that the cold drying slowed the conversion of all the raw cannabinoids.

Or, I could be wrong. [;>)

I actually I have a dedicated fridge that's designed to maintain controlled temps and humidity. I've been testing it without opening the door and maintaining temps 55-62 and rh 54-63%. This is without the humidity controllers being on with this last test run. I posted pics earlier in this post of the conversion.

Ideally this what we're trying to maintain with jars and boveda packs right?

I remember seeing my uncles and my pawpaw doing something's that seemed odd to me. Idk if it'll help but I'll tell you anyway. About a month from harvest they would mash up a bunch of bananas whole. To that was added 1 gallon of water and 2 cups of sugar and yeast. Then they would run a tube from the sealed bucket into the grow room and into another bucket of water and allow it to make bubbles. My uncles said this made the plants bigger and faster. Maybe it was the co2 or something but they swore by it inside. The low and slow thing .... Bravo. It does make a better product in the end.

I actually I have a dedicated fridge that's designed to maintain controlled temps and humidity. I've been testing it without opening the door and maintaining temps 55-62 and rh 54-63%. This is without the humidity controllers being on with this last test run. I posted pics earlier in this post of the conversion.

Ideally this what we're trying to maintain with jars and boveda packs right?

Sorry Kreaton, I have been following your build. I just did not connect your build with your questions. I thought you were attempting to use an off the shelf unit to store lose bud.

As I understand, what you have is a temperature controlled humidor. If it would work as a humidor at room temperature, it should work better at lower temperatures.

Down the road, you may want to think about a wood lining. If you could come up with a catchy name and I would buy one.

You may have to play around with the RH and temps to find an ideal combination. The colder the air is the less water it will hold.

There could be an ideal cooler size for a given amount of stash. This is getting interesting.

Keep us updated. I seriously think you are onto something worth the effort.

My boveda packs arrived today. Too bad I wasn't paying enough attention when ordering from the rain forest site. I forgot how awful their searches are and how they don't show exactly what you searched for. Is 72% good for anything?

Cuban cigars...:blunt:

actually you can try using them in a frost free to raise the humidity..

Back
Top Bottom