ElDoctore's Self Watering Coco - Candy Kush AF - Pineapple Chunk PP - VIVA Sativa PP

Re: A minute for your thoughts!

In addition to bending the stalk, do you also top off the top of your plant? If so, how much do you cut off?

Please do, you might find a way to make it better which then I can adapt :p
If only you could automate mixing your tea :p

In addition to bending the stalk, do you also top off the top of your plant? If so, how much do you cut off?

I started my coco log the day I snipped node 6 off my dwarf auto 21 days from seed. That worked very well to break apical dominance and get it to grow colas.

With your photoperiod plant, you can do a much more elaborate process called "manifolding," which I have never done, but looks brilliant. Definitely something to consider.

But yes, definitely, topping can help.

2017-06-19_Day_20_1100_Topping_005.JPG

Node 6 goes 21 days from seed...

The next upgrade would just be a stronger output pump to drain everything straight out rather then in a bucket.
For the E'f of it, i decided to dabble in some Alexa technology after i got the dot as a gift. I got 2 switches which are Alexa controlled, so its "pump in on""pump out off".
Not a necessity, just an itch to try it out. Would save me the hassle of going around the tent to switch on the electricity everytime

Ha, I don't know if you know who Cody Oebel is? But he was just talking about, how he spent a year designing a computer to do this, and then walking into the store and seeing the selection of Alexa switches..

Ha, I don't know if you know who Cody Oebel is? But he was just talking about, how he spent a year designing a computer to do this, and then walking into the store and seeing the selection of Alexa switches..

OK, I guess I'm gonna have to look at some of these new consumer thingies like Alexa. So far they have struck me as useless techno gee gaws, but maybe something useful is evolving here?

OK, I guess I'm gonna have to look at some of these new consumer thingies like Alexa. So far they have struck me as useless techno gee gaws, but maybe something useful is evolving here?

Yeah, if you have the cash anything is possible today, even if you don't have the cash and you do the research, I guarantee you that there is a budget friendly alternative : but the truly smarter option is to simplify your grow... I get the part about automation, but when you spend as little time on your plants as I do, doing as little as possible... Why sink hundreds if not thousands into equipment???

@Stillalive420: as scientific said, hobby fun. I have seen Alexa tech evolving, and I wanted to try it out, so I just thought this was a good starting point. The switches cost 12$ each from amazon, and I have the kindle fire tv, so why not. But I bought them thinking I was gonna stick to DTW. Now that I switch to recirculating, I am gonna use Alexa for "tv on, lights on" just see why the hype is all about.
Believe it or not, this whole recirculating thing cost less then 100$. The pumps were 48$, piping 30$, octopus 8$ and connectors 10$. In return my coco get watered 5 times a day, and I am saving so much on water, so it pays off.

@Scientific: you were right about EC and PPM; different sides of the same coin. They are directly proportional, ppm can't be measured directly with a simple probe but EC can, so it's just a conversion.
As for the LST, I think I'll try it with the pineapple chunk, after the knock, the stem is already bent "healed now" but the side stalk is already pointing at the light. I'll be checking more closely for tip yellowing.

The biggest issue i am facing so far, is that when i check up on the tent, one or two collection trays would not be completely empty.
If you see my 4 way switch, the collection trays connected more proximal to the suction get emptied first, currently i am closing the taps in fractions to get the ratio for drainage. I have also increased the time and frequency in which the drainage works. Hopes in fixes the problem.
Maybe i should connect the pipes with a few Y splitters so that the suction pressure is equal in all 4 rather then having different pressures in each and different drainage speeds... Trial and error.

Just had a couple of photos wanted to post. 1 of them in having as issue with piping size mismatch, and my solution to it, the other was just a shot i thought was pretty
IMG_142041.JPG

Beauty in colors
IMG_142439.JPG

I was going through my gallery, and saw a couple of photos of my last grow. I wasnt really sure what the issue was:-
IMG_84942.JPG
IMG_84934.JPG
IMG_84883.JPG

At this stage i was 3 weeks in and was completely puzzled by this, i was 3 weeks in and it kept on getting worse.

The next watering i decided to check my run off, never did before as i didnt think it mattered. the pH was a staggering 7.2, and the PPM was at something like 2000.

Flushed Flushed Flushed, starting being more vigilant with pH out and PPM out. Started using much less nutes then recommended, and watering more frequent. The new growths were all normal, and it fixed the issue.

Just an experience i wanted to share

the pH was a staggering 7.2, and the PPM was at something like 2000.

You know, from what I've read about the formulation of the premium fertilizers that we use, that pH was probably not all that bad. With the right salts selection and chelation, pH does not seem to be as big of an issue. (Again, that's just book larnin')

That PPM number though, yee hah! ;) Burn baby burn!

I was going through my gallery, and saw a couple of photos of my last grow. I wasnt really sure what the issue was:-
IMG_84942.JPG
IMG_84934.JPG
IMG_84883.JPG

At this stage i was 3 weeks in and was completely puzzled by this, i was 3 weeks in and it kept on getting worse.

The next watering i decided to check my run off, never did before as i didnt think it mattered. the pH was a staggering 7.2, and the PPM was at something like 2000.

Flushed Flushed Flushed, starting being more vigilant with pH out and PPM out. Started using much less nutes then recommended, and watering more frequent. The new growths were all normal, and it fixed the issue.

Just an experience i wanted to share

Ph causing a magnesium deficiency
420-magazine-mobile1931195360.jpg

It looks like a magnesium deficiency, but it don't make sense. Because magnesium is available even at that ph.

Does anyone know what this is it's getting worse grew in same pots new soils last time and never had this happen

I'd suggest posing this as a new question at the FAQ page rather than jumping into another thread.
If you can take some good photos under white light and answer all the questions in the "How to Ask for Grow Support" topic that would help a lot too.

A Few Updates:

First thing that happened when i opened the tent was i got a whiff of that fine smell, the girls are growing up. Increasing the drainage time and frequency seems to have done the trick, i barely get 1 liter left in the collection trays which i am fine with as they increase the humidity of the tent.

A new change, is when i checked my reservoir today, the PPM was actually lower then when i started 600 and after 24 hours 520, and the pH had actually gone up rather then down. so i am on the right track with the feeding. Currently using 0.5/0.6 nute strength of the recommended GH feed chart is what my plants need at this stage.

I gave the ladies a little haircut today, removed the huge fan leaves to allow more light to get to the underlying new growth, and removed all the small leaves at the bottom that were withering away, not too much, 4-5 leaves per plant.

I did realize a mistake i did was not put enough coco in each fabric pot, because some of the bottom leaves are getting squashed against the side of the pot, made a memo to myself about that.

Hair Cut!

IMG_143242.JPG

Candy Kush 1
IMG_142739.JPG

Viva Sativa
IMG_142942.JPG

Pineapple Chunk
IMG_142845.JPG

Candy Kush 2
IMG_143040.JPG

I checked the leave tips, they all look great, no signs of yellowing yet, plus with the PPM values dropping, i guess they are underfed.
I increased the watering frequency from 5 times a day to 9 times a day, lets see how that goes.
My tent humidity is between 35-40%, i know its less then recommended at this stage 40-60%, but i am wondering if its worth investing in a humidifier or not, plants seem to be growing well

A Few Updates:

First thing that happened when i opened the tent was i got a whiff of that fine smell, the girls are growing up. Increasing the drainage time and frequency seems to have done the trick, i barely get 1 liter left in the collection trays which i am fine with as they increase the humidity of the tent.

A new change, is when i checked my reservoir today, the PPM was actually lower then when i started 600 and after 24 hours 520, and the pH had actually gone up rather then down. so i am on the right track with the feeding. Currently using 0.5/0.6 nute strength of the recommended GH feed chart is what my plants need at this stage.

I gave the ladies a little haircut today, removed the huge fan leaves to allow more light to get to the underlying new growth, and removed all the small leaves at the bottom that were withering away, not too much, 4-5 leaves per plant.

I did realize a mistake i did was not put enough coco in each fabric pot, because some of the bottom leaves are getting squashed against the side of the pot, made a memo to myself about that.

Hair Cut!

IMG_143242.JPG

Candy Kush 1
IMG_142739.JPG

Viva Sativa
IMG_142942.JPG

Pineapple Chunk
IMG_142845.JPG

Candy Kush 2
IMG_143040.JPG

I checked the leave tips, they all look great, no signs of yellowing yet, plus with the PPM values dropping, i guess they are underfed.
I increased the watering frequency from 5 times a day to 9 times a day, lets see how that goes.
My tent humidity is between 35-40%, i know its less then recommended at this stage 40-60%, but i am wondering if its worth investing in a humidifier or not, plants seem to be growing well

The humidity shouldn't be a problem. My girls stay around 40-45% on a normal day, drops to 30-35 on a non humid day outside and gets up closer to 50 when it's raining outside and really humid.

I've seen people who have a ph of 7.9 and they weren't too concerned, what I do is, I contact the nutrient company and I give them a breakdown of what I'm using and ask them what ph do they recommend.

Back
Top Bottom