ElDoctore's Self Watering Coco - Candy Kush AF - Pineapple Chunk PP - VIVA Sativa PP

Re: A minute for your thoughts!

that is an option luweedgi, mix and match the bulbs in addition to the viparspectra LED red lights being open. But if i keep them all 2700k, would the plants have more to utilize?

No, what I would do is start them on the 6500k or whatever veg spectrum you have and then just add the flower bulbs when you start flowering, the more light the better, especially with cfl.

Loving the feedback so far.

The issue being is where i live, nothing is available, these grow lights and nute mixes and all, i have to order and send them by courier, the plan was to get a 1200W LED to cover the whole tent, but that would have cost me a minimum of $1200 for that light, so that was scratched off. Just the 450W cost me 600$. This is why i had to resort to this hanging light CFL to Augment the LED lighting until i manage to have a better budget to get another LED. The biggest problem with CFL is the heat, even though its minimal. The room temp during the day can get to 36 degrees easy, so the AC has to be on 24/7 at 23 Degrees, and even that Keeps the tent temperature at 29 Degrees, which is more then what i would like.

I adjusted some of the lights and added bulbs, i took some close ups of the irrigation system and of the babies.

Scientific, when i measure the water out of the bottle directly, it gives me a TDS of 110-120, after letting it open in a bucket for 24 hours, it goes down to 85/90. Maybe its the chlorine, maybe its black magic, but even this 30 decrease in TDS gives me more comfort when making my "tea"

Here are some close up of the plants, and the lighting system after adjustments.

Even the irrigation system pumps i had to order online to arrive by courier, the extraction system is working, just waiting for the other pump to finish the irrigation part then i will add pics of it in action.

Pineapple Chunk:-
pine_chunk1.jpg

Viva Sativa:-
Viva_Sativa.jpg

Its growing very short and bushy, i wonder if this is the strain or its a dwarf, need to wait and watch

Candy Kush AF:
Candy_Kush_1.jpg

Candy Kush AF 2:-
Candy7.jpg

Close up of the pipings in the extraction tray
Irrigation_1.jpg

Lights:-
Lights_12.jpg

As you can see, i have added more lights, adjusted the heights. The problem is after this the temperature exploded from 26 tp 31 degrees.
If you see in the bottom left corner, the 6" inflow fan has now become operational, and i switched on the extraction fan as well, all this to increase the ventilation to decrease the temperature.
My biggest issue with temperature is that the pots dry quicker and i need to water them more often.
Dude water then every hour, for some reason you've built a self watering system for four plants that are one inch tall. I've been hand watering quarter pound plants for a year and I have about seventy on average. I don't do hydro but make a good organic amended Coco and compost and pumice and water them a little under a gallon a day. Ten or eleven hps 1000 watt lights with fans and throw some bat shit on top every couple of weeks with some kmag and voila. The more you get them to drink and eat the bigger and better your buds will be. The amount of light you are using indoors determines how much bud you'll get. That being said, get way more light and more plants unless you are trying to spend lots on electric bill to warm your tent. Those pants were dark. You should need sunglasses in there

@Drgreenthump the irrigation system was for 2 reason, 1: My work averages between 100-120 hours a week, hence any chance i get to find a way to save time, i do. I am in the surgical field and starting soon i am gonna have examinations and such, so since i have the time now, i decided to keep it provisionally ready. 2: i just wanted to see if i can actually get it to work out of sheer interest.
The whole irrigation setup cost me around 70$ which isnt so bad considering it saves 30 minutes every watering, which in coco is quiet frequent.
@GrowchyzGardenOfGreen: currently the Viparspectar gives me 200W actual with the Veg switch, in addition, the mixture of CFL and LED's inside totals to be 800W, so almost 1000W of lights in there mixed between different bulbs.

BTW, I don't think "oxygenating" your nutes is going to help any (and it could affect your pH readings...). Any extra O2 will off-gas to equilibrium very quickly, and coco + 40% perlite gets plenty of O2 as it is.

You seem very informative I was wondering what you think of my steps in getting this plant off the ground.
420-magazine-mobile847058935.jpg
does this cfl seem to far from the plant right now I'm sitting around 75 for average temp I don't want them to stretch as I have limited room in my tent
420-magazine-mobile31057569.jpg
would you recommend that I put the y splitter in and add a second bulb these are 100 w equivalent with 1500 lumens
420-magazine-mobile916403234.jpg
this is what she looks like now btw. This is skunk diesel btw if anyone is wondering I would say this is probably about 5 day of sprouting

@Jdub95 When using CFL you can get pretty close to the plant, the best method to check is to use the back of your hand, if it feels to warm, move it further, and vice versa. The things you have to look out for are heat stress and light burn. As for heat stress you will see your leaves start to curl upwards, and with burn, well, u will see your leaf with a burn mark.

At 5 days it looks good, leaf colours look healthy, you can see the new leaves sprouting healthily as well.

Are you using coco? If so, pH, pH, pH. My first time around my results only got better once I started checking my runoff pH and fixing it accordingly.

In the end of the day weed is a resilient plant, you will get product, it's a matter of these small touches that increase quantity and quality

I was wondering what you think of my steps in getting this plant off the ground.

A $20 lux meter from amazon.com will answer all of your light intensity questions for whitish light (not for blurple LED lights though, unfortunately).

Shoot for at least 50,000 to as high as 90,000 lux to get good yields. (1000 lux is 1000 lumens spread over one meter, just for reference.) Light intensity is directly related to yield and potency. There is a huge gap between a plant that is merely growing and one that is cranking at maximum lux levels.

I'm surprised at how many people will happily blow $40 on a bottle of magic fertilizer but wont spend the money to buy a lux meter. As a PhD engineer boss of mine used to say, "Looks like we're going to have to take some measurements!"

Your plants look good. They'll need to be repotted in a matter of days because chances are the tap root is already hitting the bottom of that cup. You can get those light bulbs really close to the plant--within a few inches--as long as it doesn't feel to warm at the plant itself. (A fan can help there too.)

My .02. :)

Scientific, led is measured in PAR. His light which is the same as mine is 415 PAR in the direct middle. A 1x1 footprint is 247. You stated 50-90k lumens is what you want to shoot for, do you happen to know what PAR to shoot for?

Also to add I'm not sure if measuring a unit by it's PAR output is the best way to determine quality. I'm looking at a 1000w led light with an advertised 5000 PAR that actually draws less watts then our 450w lights. So I don't see how that could better

You seem very informative I was wondering what you think of my steps in getting this plant off the ground.
420-magazine-mobile847058935.jpg
does this cfl seem to far from the plant right now I'm sitting around 75 for average temp I don't want them to stretch as I have limited room in my tent
420-magazine-mobile31057569.jpg
would you recommend that I put the y splitter in and add a second bulb these are 100 w equivalent with 1500 lumens
420-magazine-mobile916403234.jpg
this is what she looks like now btw. This is skunk diesel btw if anyone is wondering I would say this is probably about 5 day of sprouting
Led light can be more intense than cfl, I would keep those lights at least 8 or 12 inches from your seedlings. With a cfl and a fan you can get the light a few inches from the seedling.

Scientific, led is measured in PAR. His light which is the same as mine is 415 PAR in the direct middle. A 1x1 footprint is 247. You stated 50-90k lumens is what you want to shoot for, do you happen to know what PAR to shoot for?

Also to add I'm not sure if measuring a unit by it's PAR output is the best way to determine quality. I'm looking at a 1000w led light with an advertised 5000 PAR that actually draws less watts then our 450w lights. So I don't see how that could better

Except for a little 12-watt TaoTronics LED spotlight that I bought to experiment (i.e. play around) with, my motley indoor lighting array is all CFLs, and then LED household light bulbs. The lux output from those can be compared to the lux levels I get outdoors under the sun using my cheap lux meter, but that meter's pretty useless for making measurements of blurple LED light. (I do wish someone would come out with a good, cheap LED grow light light meter, but it would probably have to measure at a bunch of different spectra?)

The one thing that I do know about measuring light is that there are lots of ways to misunderstand and get it wrong, so care is called for. I'm just starting to seriously study up on LED grow lights. I'm not in a big hurry to buy one because the technology is advancing so fast that I know that prices are going to plunge and quality is going to soar (just like with those other, nerdier semiconductor devices).

JimmyJames905 here at 420magazine seems to know a lot about this area. (He's the one who turned me away from CFLs by preaching the value of household LEDs lights for small grows.) I think it would be worth searching for posts by him here and reading them. This article might be useful, too, though I haven't really chewed on what it's saying enough yet:

PAR and Lumens – Compare LED Grow Lights

I wish I had something more useful to say on this, but I'm just learning myself. And again, I think that if you can wait a little bit LED lights are only going to get better and better and cheaper and cheaper.

Happy growing, and please share whatever good, scientifically valid information you find here at 420!

Led light can be more intense than cfl, I would keep those lights at least 8 or 12 inches from your seedlings. With a cfl and a fan you can get the light a few inches from the seedling.

Yeah, I put my CFLs and LED light bulbs right next to the plant, but LEDs are lensed, so they have a narrow beam and so the energy can be much more concentrated. (My little 12-watt TaoTronics LED light, however, only uses 9 actual watts and can be stuck within inches of the plant with no problems. I started out with it 18" away until I realized that it was more of a toy than an real grow light. ;))

The other thing I have noticed that has burned (literally) some people here is that the light intensity under an LED panel is not as even as you might think it would be (i.e. evenly distributed over the whole footprint). The light in the center of the footprint can be a lot more intense than at the edges.

The 450w we have is extremely great. It will burn the plant if too close. I got 4oz from a 2 foot tall autoflower that went for 66 days total. And Im pretty sure that's a record for that strain. I added a second 450w during the last couple of weeks. I know these lights are great but I'm always wanting to improve my system and learn more.

A $20 lux meter from amazon.com will answer all of your light intensity questions for whitish light (not for blurple LED lights though, unfortunately).

Shoot for at least 50,000 to as high as 90,000 lux to get good yields. (1000 lux is 1000 lumens spread over one meter, just for reference.) Light intensity is directly related to yield and potency. There is a huge gap between a plant that is merely growing and one that is cranking at maximum lux levels.

I'm surprised at how many people will happily blow $40 on a bottle of magic fertilizer but wont spend the money to buy a lux meter. As a PhD engineer boss of mine used to say, "Looks like we're going to have to take some measurements!"

Your plants look good. They'll need to be repotted in a matter of days because chances are the tap root is already hitting the bottom of that cup. You can get those light bulbs really close to the plant--within a few inches--as long as it doesn't feel to warm at the plant itself. (A fan can help there too.)

My .02. :)

Thanks is actually funny you say re pot the plant cause I had just taken it from a jiffy and peeled off the netting and put it in that solo cup. The second set of fan leafs is just now forming

Hi,
So i finally got my pump today and switched it on and oh the water works. I underestimated the water pump power, and i had water pipes pulling out, it was quiet a scene. Anyway after some tweaks and fiddling, i got the thing to work
Here are a few pictures.
Tea9.JPG

This is the tea mixture.
Valve1.JPG

The bucket connected to the valve connecting it to the plug

Waterting_5.JPG
Watering_4.JPG
Watering_3.JPG
Watering_2.JPG
Watering_1.JPG

A few of the watering in action
Bucket_Empty.JPG

This is the waste bucket at the start
Bucket_Full.JPG

This is it after 3 minutes.

Something happened though during this whole operation, my Pineapple chunk, 2 weeks old
pine_chunk1.jpg

When i tried initially the water pressure was so high it knocked it hard.
The junction next to the soil bent and now the plant doesnt stand upright. Currently i propped it up, and its pointing up, there is no break in the stem, just a bend, Will it survive? :(

Hi,
So i finally got my pump today and switched it on and oh the water works. I underestimated the water pump power, and i had water pipes pulling out, it was quiet a scene. Anyway after some tweaks and fiddling, i got the thing to work
Here are a few pictures.
Tea9.JPG

This is the tea mixture.
Valve1.JPG

The bucket connected to the valve connecting it to the plug

Waterting_5.JPG
Watering_4.JPG
Watering_3.JPG
Watering_2.JPG
Watering_1.JPG

A few of the watering in action
Bucket_Empty.JPG

This is the waste bucket at the start
Bucket_Full.JPG

This is it after 3 minutes.

Something happened though during this whole operation, my Pineapple chunk, 2 weeks old
pine_chunk1.jpg

When i tried initially the water pressure was so high it knocked it hard.
The junction next to the soil bent and now the plant doesnt stand upright. Currently i propped it up, and its pointing up, there is no break in the stem, just a bend, Will it survive? :(

Get a clear plastic straw and cut it about the length of the stem then put a slit in it so you can open it and place it around the stem..bury it a little in the dirt and maybe move a little around it and pack it down to support the straw and it'll support the plant. I've had to do it to almost all my plants (too much wind I think...and I cut back every time).

Hi,
Currently i propped it up, and its pointing up, there is no break in the stem, just a bend, Will it survive? :(

Thanks for posting the pix of your evolving setup. :thumb:

If the stem's not broken and it just got knocked around a little, I would guess it will be OK. We baby them, but these are pretty tough little weeds we're growing here... ;)

Back
Top Bottom