ElDoctore's Self Watering Coco - Candy Kush AF - Pineapple Chunk PP - VIVA Sativa PP

Re: A minute for your thoughts!

5th Day, Changed the reservoir, gotta say, the combination of Coco with the recirculating system is pretty great. In comparison to my previous coco growth that i used DTW, the plants look alot healthier, and i feel alot more in control of my Coco environment.
Alot of forums talk about "when to water coco". Some recommend when its close to dry, some daily. Personally, I really dont think Coco should never go "close to dry" its a medium that works best when having frequent watering to it. You cannot over water it, especially with a 40% perlite. After bringing up my watering to 7 times a day "1 Gallon of water 7 times a day each", the plants are thriving very well, i am not getting any leaf tip burns. I am using so much less water, and a fraction of the nutrients i would have used if i was on DTW.

Last 36 hours i have been noticing the PPM dropping in the reservoir, so this time i made my tea with 70% strength Week 3, PPM was around 700 with a pH of 5.6.

Currently with the plants, i am just doing some light defoliation, all the large fan leaves that cover new underlying growth, and the lower withering leaves i remove. I remove 2-4 leaves a day of each plant, and the next day, see how the plant respond then do more defoliation, keep the plant nice and trimmed rather then bushy and out of control.

Gonna start doing LST to some of the plants today, lets see how that goes.

I will keep you updated as days progresss

Re: A minute for your thoughts!

5th Day, Changed the reservoir, gotta say, the combination of Coco with the recirculating system is pretty great. In comparison to my previous coco growth that i used DTW, the plants look alot healthier, and i feel alot more in control of my Coco environment.
Alot of forums talk about "when to water coco". Some recommend when its close to dry, some daily. Personally, I really dont think Coco should never go "close to dry" its a medium that works best when having frequent watering to it. You cannot over water it, especially with a 40% perlite. After bringing up my watering to 7 times a day "1 Gallon of water 7 times a day each", the plants are thriving very well, i am not getting any leaf tip burns. I am using so much less water, and a fraction of the nutrients i would have used if i was on DTW.

Last 36 hours i have been noticing the PPM dropping in the reservoir, so this time i made my tea with 70% strength Week 3, PPM was around 700 with a pH of 5.6.

Currently with the plants, i am just doing some light defoliation, all the large fan leaves that cover new underlying growth, and the lower withering leaves i remove. I remove 2-4 leaves a day of each plant, and the next day, see how the plant respond then do more defoliation, keep the plant nice and trimmed rather then bushy and out of control.

Gonna start doing LST to some of the plants today, lets see how that goes.

I will keep you updated as days progresss

Great update and great progress! Really good job, Alios. I'm learning stuff here, and I think you are actually advancing the state of the art. :thumb:

Added a switch to the wirings, now i can close all the white LED lights while still keeping the VIPARSPECTRA open, causes alot less strain on my eyes while working.
Considering either adding 2 more hanging lights, so i have 8 bulbs per plant total, or considering buying a 600/900W panel. Its a difference of 80$ Vs 350$

The pineapple chunk has exploded, i'll put it side to side with a photo of today and 2 days ago.
IMG_144639.jpg
IMG_1418_1_1.JPG
IMG_144942.jpg

So a few updates, Finally changed all the Lights to LED's and i managed to add 2 more hanging lights, so now i have 8 bulbs over each plant, plus the 450W LED panel, should be enough i hope, no light burns yet, and no nute burns.

My PPM was 450 yesterday. dropped from 550 after 48 hours, so i just topped it wit nutes, 1 ml of each onto the 4 gallons, except the trio "gro-micro and bloom" added 2 ml, that took the ppm to 550 again, so i am happy, plants look happy too, short distances between nodes and very bushy.

Keeping them trimmed on a daily basis, no issues with irrigation system so far.

Started LST and topping to the pineapple chunk, not sure if i am doing it right, but the concept seems simple, cut off the top to kill off the apical dominance, then bend the branches as you see fit to areas where they get more light.
They say that you shouldnt do both together as it causes too much stress on the plant at one go, but too lte for that
LEts see how that goes.
IMG_146129.jpg
IMG_146234.jpg

So a few updates, Finally changed all the Lights to LED's and i managed to add 2 more hanging lights, so now i have 8 bulbs over each plant, plus the 450W LED panel, should be enough i hope, no light burns yet, and no nute burns.

My PPM was 450 yesterday. dropped from 550 after 48 hours, so i just topped it wit nutes, 1 ml of each onto the 4 gallons, except the trio "gro-micro and bloom" added 2 ml, that took the ppm to 550 again, so i am happy, plants look happy too, short distances between nodes and very bushy.

Keeping them trimmed on a daily basis, no issues with irrigation system so far.

Started LST and topping to the pineapple chunk, not sure if i am doing it right, but the concept seems simple, cut off the top to kill off the apical dominance, then bend the branches as you see fit to areas where they get more light.
They say that you shouldnt do both together as it causes too much stress on the plant at one go, but too lte for that
LEts see how that goes.
IMG_146129.jpg
IMG_146234.jpg

I've put my plants through topping and LST together and everything was fine. I've also defoliated my girls regularly and they don't mind at all..they actually seem to love it lol. The only side effect you may see is a little delay in growth for a few days.

You know what bud? I know it's like a hobby and all. But I promise you if you just leave them alone, they will develop much faster? I know it's hard to believe, but I seen a good inch of growth a day.

@Stillalive420 I completely believe u. Its the first time i try LST and topping, and i just did it to one of the 4. Not because i want a bigger yield, just curious really, and for the experience. I have 2 Af's coming up. so that will give me good stock, and i am planning on keeping the photoperiod for 3-4 months before flowering since i have the space.
Currently i am in 3 gallon pots, i decided to shift them in 7 gallons instead of 5 for the photoperiods.
One thing i started doing is using Armor Si for pH up rather then using the GH pH up, read it in one of the posts once. Honestly it works well with very small amounts. pH from 5.4 to 6.o with 1 ml in a 5 gallon reservoir.

@stillalive420 I completely believe u. Its the first time i try LST and topping, and i just did it to one of the 4. Not because i want a bigger yield, just curious really, and for the experience. I have 2 Af's coming up. so that will give me good stock, and i am planning on keeping the photoperiod for 3-4 months before flowering since i have the space.
Currently i am in 3 gallon pots, i decided to shift them in 7 gallons instead of 5 for the photoperiods.
One thing i started doing is using Armor Si for pH up rather then using the GH pH up, read it in one of the posts once. Honestly it works well with very small amounts. pH from 5.4 to 6.o with 1 ml in a 5 gallon reservoir.

I used to ph my water, now I just use rain water.

You know what bud? I know it's like a hobby and all. But I promise you if you just leave them alone, they will develop much faster? I know it's hard to believe, but I seen a good inch of growth a day.

Just random bag seeds and I'm trying to keep them pretty small and get as many tops as possible so defoliating is allowing the lower tops to stretch upwards and develop into stronger branches

That lighting is looking pretty amazing! I still think you could increase your lux count for free with some Al foil reflectors at the base of the LED.

A guy here at 420 -- lost his name -- cuts the bottoms off his LED bulbs for more direct beams. Just though I'd share his photo.

Looks like all is going well! :thumb:

CutLEDs.jpg

Another update,
Just finished my third week today. Changed my reservoir water, gave full strength 3rd week. PPM was 900.
Plants are looking healthy and fit. Decided to only do topping for Pineapple chunk without LST.
Added some sprinklers to the pipings. I noticed that some areas on the top remain dry, thought the sprinklers would help, but the pressure in them was to low to "sprinkle" but the water covers a larger area now.
Temperature under control in the tent. 27 Lights on, 21 lights off, Still running on 20/4.

Hopefully might start seeing AF pistil end of this week or next.

I want to move the babies to a new home, currently all in 3 gallons. I dont know if its worth stepping the AF to a 5 Gallon pot.
The photo period i am debating moving them from a 3 to a 5 or a 3 to a 7 gallon

Sprinklers.jpg

Viva Sativa
Viva_Sativa1.jpg

Pineapple Chunk
Pineapple_Chunk9.jpg

Candy Kush 1
Candy_Kush_1a.jpg
Candy_Kush_11.jpg

Candy Kush 2
Candy_Kush_2a.jpg

Candy_Kush_2.jpg

Thanks for the update. Your plants look great and your system is evolving nicely (though I've gotta say all that hosing and connectors keeps reminding me of when I was in chemotherapy. ;))

I watched a Jorge Cervantes video at YouTube once in which he was touring an outside grow in Oregon or NorCal or something. They were talking about how much bigger the plants grew in 500 gallon pots versus 300 gallons (or something like that--on that scale). The take-home message for me was that your pot can never be too big! That said, maybe your high-tech nute delivery system with continual feedings negates some of the need for bigger pots? I still think "When in doubt, bigger pots" is a good rule of thumb.

Looking good! :thumb:

Im half way through your journal and ive just got to say, i feel ur pain on those couriors. I have to wait 1 week minimum on supplys and when i run out its like chickens with their heads cut off.

Im half way through your journal and ive just got to say, i feel ur pain on those couriors. I have to wait 1 week minimum on supplys and when i run out its like chickens with their heads cut off.

I completely get you. Only in my first 2 weeks I burnt through an 1/8 of my nutes. This is why I started experimenting with this recycling water to save up on nutes and water and it seems to work like a charm.

Scientific both AF are candy kush, maybe for fun I move one of them to a 5G bucket and see if it makes a difference. It would have been better if they were clones for a direct comparison, but now we can compare same strain.

It would be interesting if the frequent watering as you stated decreases the need for a bigger pot

Back
Top Bottom