Exceptionally High FECO Yields

@Pennywise, Are you hip to all these money saving ways? I remember you and I are seekers of lower cost value. This is great news to my broke stick self.

I used a bottle of botanicare then switched to Dyna Grow Cal/Mag

I was unaware that Dyna had a Cal Mag product. I thought all they had was Mag Pro which is primarily a Phosphorus, Magnesium, and Sulfur additive and has no Calcium.

Farside is right, don't buy anything wet because then you're paying for way over priced water plus shipping weight. IMO, the same argument applies to silicate too, Pro-Tekt is just water and potassium silicate. You can buy the silicate and add your own RO water or distilled.

Edit - I just compared the price of a pound of potassium silicate from CustomHydroNutrients to a quart of Pro-Tekt on Amazon and the pound costs $17, the QT of Pro-Tekt costs $18 on Amazon. For the math, to make concentrate, I start with a half gallon of RO and add 189.3 grams of salt. So 545 grams divided by 189.3 = 2.3 half gallon jugs of concentrate which is roughly 1.25 gallons of silicate concentrate for $17 before shipping.

Buildasoil sells AgSil® for $20 a pound with free shipping. Their mix rate is 560g per gallon to be a 7.8% solution (same as Pro-Tekt). Since a pound is only 81% of 560g, you'd use 3.25 quarts (104oz) of water. 2 pounds is even cheaper at $30 with free shipping. That's 6.5 quarts for $30, or $4.62 a quart. I started to do dry stuff after my last purchase of Pro-Tekt, so I haven't done the bulk dry Potassium Silicate yet. I still have about 1/3 quart of Pro-Tekt left. That may get me through this grow. But next time... Just a quart lasts me several grows, so 3.25 quarts will probably be a 2 year supply.

Edit - Oh hell, why wait. I ordered a 1# bag. After I get it I'll use it on the remainder of my current grow. So everything from that point forward will be from dry sources (fertilizer, Cal-Mag, and Silica). Nutes on the cheap.

Buildasoil sells AgSil® for $20 a pound with free shipping. Their mix rate is 560g per gallon to be a 7.8% solution (same as Pro-Tekt). Since a pound is only 81% of 560g, you'd use 3.25 quarts (104oz) of water. 2 pounds is even cheaper at $30 with free shipping. That's 6.5 quarts for $30, or $4.62 a quart. I started to do dry stuff after my last purchase of Pro-Tekt, so I haven't done the bulk dry Potassium Silicate yet. I still have about 1/3 quart of Pro-Tekt left. That may get me through this grow. But next time... Just a quart lasts me several grows, so 3.25 quarts will probably be a 2 year supply.

Edit - Oh hell, why wait. I ordered a 1# bag. After I get it I'll use it on the remainder of my current grow. So everything from that point forward will be from dry sources (fertilizer, Cal-Mag, and Silica). Nutes on the cheap.

I never knew about buildasoil. I mean I did, but for soil amendments. AgSil is what I have/used, but like I said earlier, I got mine from CustomHydro and the shipping costs will make any strong man cry. I better bookmark BAS now before I forget. I won't be using a lot of salts now that I'm doing soil growing only, but I still use about half of my supplies in the dirt making.

Thanks for the tip!

Chef Derick Butt R.I.P.
"Grow Gently" I recall him saying where he described a 600W HID sweat spot being around 24 inches so we run gently at 30. Thank you Chef :love:

Cutting Cookies with Short Timers​

To those of us who have served time in the military (and perhaps other places) the term short timer refers to how long until you will be discharged or otherwise released. To those of us vets now attending VA hospitals the term has a different meaning. When we are diagnosed with a terminal condition, we once again become “short timers”. And within that terminal diagnosis you are advised on your mortality in terms of how long you can expect to live. That said, last Tuesday was @survivorx2 six-month mark and he is out of days left on the calendar to cross off. Now we put a number counting up one day at a time.

We had him in gloves manicuring girl scout cookies for a few hours today. The smiles I saw on his face flashed beautiful and happy. Thanks for everybody’s help in this thread entertaining a couple old and terminal veterans. We might not be here without all this fun. :)

Meja study thoughts and notes; What about the use of auxins to assuage defense mechanisms? What if we identify that the onset of natural senescence is delayed beyond helpful purpose? Said differently, what if we stay stuck in overdrive?

Treatment notes; The Cali 2 cultivar was treated on the 40th day of flower. Observable antagonization occurs within hours of exogenous application of methyl jasmonate in ester form diluted to an approximately 100 ppm. foliar spray. The genetic regulatory network in turn senses the jasmonate and alters the levels of homeostasis therein changing the balance of hormones. This allows plant resources held normally to satisfy genetically directed reproductive responsibilities, to be redirected in ways as to combat the assumed abiotic attack. In female cannabis plants, when the defense genetics are at rest and the GRN is not under attack the reproductive duties without pollination will produce X of cannabinoids. Same plant under attack will produce X plus amounts of cannabinoids.

TBC: Whirlpool bath is calling me.

Wow, two of our non 420 (and I'm afraid un-enchanted scientist) friends have texted my phone indicating they agree with something I just said as they both receive private e-mails of my posts. Cool, I got something right with the boys and girls all dressed in white. :bongrip: probably the bit about the bath LOL

Cutting Cookies with Short Timers​

To those of us who have served time in the military (and perhaps other places) the term short timer refers to how long until you will be discharged or otherwise released. To those of us vets now attending VA hospitals the term has a different meaning. When we are diagnosed with a terminal condition, we once again become “short timers”. And within that terminal diagnosis you are advised on your mortality in terms of how long you can expect to live. That said, last Tuesday was @survivorx2 six-month mark and he is out of days left on the calendar to cross off. Now we put a number counting up one day at a time.

We had him in gloves manicuring girl scout cookies for a few hours today. The smiles I saw on his face flashed beautiful and happy. Thanks for everybody’s help in this thread entertaining a couple old and terminal veterans. We might not be here without all this fun. :)

My hat is off and my reverence is high for your and @survivorx2 service to our great nation and my own freedom in it. Thank you always and forever!

My hat is off and my reverence is high for your and @survivorx2 service to our great nation and my own freedom in it. Thank you always and forever!
Thank you Sky,
It was pretty cool. While he was here we fired up my computer and came here where I pointed out some key players and what they have mainly contributed to helping us learn cannabis gardening. So when we went downstairs and he was seeing all this medium preparations and stuff I was explaining to him who is directing us and why. Inside the garden, the tour continued with explanations about clones and cloning, monster clones and monster cropping. Your name popped up everywhere. :)

All your ears should have been ringing because we were talking about you, and how cool this is for guys and girls to take time and jump start our cultivation prowess. I think it was a very special afternoon, especially when we were planning out his next three grows. :love: It is our hope he does well indeed.

@Emilya and I were having a chat the other day and she jokingly mentioned giving her plants an aspirin after talking with me. LOL At 4:30 this morning it came to me that just maybe...

I have been stewing about what to do if my experiment specimen becomes stuck in an unwanted defense mode. The many roles of ABA signaling including dormancy maintenance and other circadian harmonics woke me up. We have several natural concoctions that may prove useful. We have willow water, we have willow extract, we have Sycamore water and extract. And we have some plain old aspirin dissolved in water and stored ready for use.

No going back to bed, the garden sunrise tells us it is time to have another day. :bongrip:

Just remembered this... @InTheShed has taught me how to make his cannabis root salve, which I did before the wife had shoulder surgery. Yesterday I noticed all three of the skeletons with root bundles recently hung to dry had been moved. When I asked if they were in her way the wife replied that those are all Christmas presents I will be turning into "The shed spread". I had to laugh. She was scared to use it... now her Mom and sisters are going to be spreading the shed cream.

Shed's Spread... Like butter, only better. If we put it in vending machines at the nursing homes we will be rich.... LOL

Check this out.

I know there are bigger plants. But for me this is really big. I am anxious what the full root ball will look like.

Straw hat notes;
Quick apology to readers tolerating my blander and intentional wordiness. I hope you will continue your allowance of my pretend vocabulary. I am practicing the colors and tones of more formal communications with hope some of it begins to flow more evenly in my writing. The rosin of it all comes down to this goal I have set. Win, lose or draw, bits and pieces of this very thread I hope to have published in appropriate scientific journals and registries. Statistically significant scientific examinations will be encouraged through this effort. To our knowledge this is leading research and has not been presented formally to the scientific community. We intend to change that. :bongrip:

thats why the pretend vocab

Straw hat notes;
We have been given about 40 to 50 street seeds. This opportunity will be considered for a while as the desire to squirt everything with something slowly passes. Said differently, I want to use these seeds for smart experiments and studies. Speaking of squirting, we plan a second meja treatment at flower day 40. Not sure if second treatment we spray the 100 or go big with a 150 ppm spray. @Skybound and myself are for full throttle but the folks at PG insist we stay light for now.

Recommended dose is 100-145 ppm. If 100 aint gettin ya there, step on the gas pedal!

meja.JPG

Back
Top Bottom