Feminized plant produced seed?

Hayron1088

So my last harvest of three plants, Bruce Banger, Skunk #1, and Durban poison. The grow literally went almost perfect with next to no issues. I plucked a bud from the plant and let it dry a little quicker to give it a taste test in a week. Well, I broke it up and found two seeds…. I’m sad, angry and excited all in the same breath. What happened? I maintained near perfect grow environment, feed properly as per Build a Soil schedule, etc. anyone have any info?

Hermie or you got pollinated by a neighbor...

:hookah:

I would say so far about two to three seed per “big bud”. Weird part is all cultivars were feminized and from the same seed company. Hermie usually happens because of stress right? I have a detailed description of every time I opened my tent from start to finish for this cycle and not one problem that was reportable… but yes on the bright side I have seeds!! So saying that, the seeds that are produced are what? A combination of one of the three cultivars in the tent or just its own? Thank ma for helping out.

I would say so far about two to three seed per “big bud”. Weird part is all cultivars were feminized and from the same seed company. Hermie usually happens because of stress right? I have a detailed description of every time I opened my tent from start to finish for this cycle and not one problem that was reportable… but yes on the bright side I have seeds!! So saying that, the seeds that are produced are what? A combination of one of the three cultivars in the tent or just its own? Thank ma for helping out.
Hermie happens more from genetics not stress. Rodalization (google it) is probably what you have going on. Females when pollinated by females can only produce female seeds so congrats.

Weird part is all cultivars were feminized and from the same seed company.
Probably a bit of confusion on the use of the word "feminized". The seed is "feminized". The plant growing from that seed will be female. A "feminized" seed does not mean that the female plant is sterile. It will produce seeds if the flowers are pollinated and those seeds are viable and will sprout.

So saying that, the seeds that are produced are what? A combination of one of the three cultivars in the tent or just its own?
As far as I know it depends on which plant produced the pollen. If it was only the Bruce Banger that produced a few male flowers then the seeds from your Bruce Banger will be Bruce Banger. If the pollen came from the Skunk and the seeds were found on the Bruce Banger then it is a combo. And two female plants being involved will almost always produce seeds that will produce female plants.

Hermie usually happens because of stress right?
A true hermaphrodite would show male and female flowers about as soon either the female or male flower starts showing. I doubt that any true hermaphrodite would show male flowers 3, 4, or up to 8 weeks later. The way I see it growers wanted a reason that they were finding male flowers starting to show up on their female plants and figured it was stress. If they keep saying it was stress they will convince themselves, and anyone else who is listening, that stress caused it.

Hermie happens more from genetics not stress. Rodalization (google it) is probably what you have going on.
Just to reinforce what zigzagman1960 is saying it is the genetics of the plant family Cannabis that causes it. It is not specific to any particular Cannabis strain that I know of. All of them can do it, sometimes with lots of bundles of male balls turning into the bananas and sometimes just one or two bananas showing up.

One reason it is easy for growers to overlook what is going on happens when the occasional male flower starts forming in with the female flowers in the same bud. The male flower is not always going to be a bunch of balls hanging off a short stem though that happens often enough as mention above.

There can be just one male flower in any one bud and it opens up showing the banana and then the yellow. It pushes off some pollen and dies within days. These little suckers are what causes most of the seeds when the grower never saw any bundle of small balls or clumps of bananas. Sort of a "forest for the trees" situation as Jack tells the detective in that movie. They are looking for the entire bundle and miss the singleton.

I am starting to believe that the Rodalization that 'zigzagman' brings up is a result of growers waiting too long before harvest because they want the amber trichomes. The longer the grower waits on that amber the greater the chance that the plant will start to produce male flowers either in clumps of balls or a single one growing in with the female flowers.

Over the last year I have harvested 15 cloned plants and not a single male flower and not a single seed. I am pulling the plant out of the flowering tent at 8 weeks and occasionally 9 weeks after the pistils start forming. I am not waiting for amber anymore. Though now that I have mentioned this I have to wonder if I will find the first seed when trimming harvested buds this afternoon.

Probably a bit of confusion on the use of the word "feminized". The seed is "feminized". The plant growing from that seed will be female. A "feminized" seed does not mean that the female plant is sterile. It will produce seeds if the flowers are pollinated and those seeds are viable and will sprout.

As far as I know it depends on which plant produced the pollen. If it was only the Bruce Banger that produced a few male flowers then the seeds from your Bruce Banger will be Bruce Banger. If the pollen came from the Skunk and the seeds were found on the Bruce Banger then it is a combo. And two female plants being involved will almost always produce seeds that will produce female plants.

A true hermaphrodite would show male and female flowers about as soon either the female or male flower starts showing. I doubt that any true hermaphrodite would show male flowers 3, 4, or up to 8 weeks later. The way I see it growers wanted a reason that they were finding male flowers starting to show up on their female plants and figured it was stress. If they keep saying it was stress they will convince themselves, and anyone else who is listening, that stress caused it.

Just to reinforce what zigzagman1960 is saying it is the genetics of the plant family Cannabis that causes it. It is not specific to any particular Cannabis strain that I know of. All of them can do it, sometimes with lots of bundles of male balls turning into the bananas and sometimes just one or two bananas showing up.

One reason it is easy for growers to overlook what is going on happens when the occasional male flower starts forming in with the female flowers in the same bud. The male flower is not always going to be a bunch of balls hanging off a short stem though that happens often enough as mention above.

There can be just one male flower in any one bud and it opens up showing the banana and then the yellow. It pushes off some pollen and dies within days. These little suckers are what causes most of the seeds when the grower never saw any bundle of small balls or clumps of bananas. Sort of a "forest for the trees" situation as Jack tells the detective in that movie. They are looking for the entire bundle and miss the singleton.

I am starting to believe that the Rodalization that 'zigzagman' brings up is a result of growers waiting too long before harvest because they want the amber trichomes. The longer the grower waits on that amber the greater the chance that the plant will start to produce male flowers either in clumps of balls or a single one growing in with the female flowers.

Over the last year I have harvested 15 cloned plants and not a single male flower and not a single seed. I am pulling the plant out of the flowering tent at 8 weeks and occasionally 9 weeks after the pistils start forming. I am not waiting for amber anymore. Though now that I have mentioned this I have to wonder if I will find the first seed when trimming harvested buds this afternoon.
I greatly appreciate you taking the time to chime in on this. Can’t thank you enough. Sadly this is the second time that this has happened to me. The first time it happened I was able to pinpoint where it came from but this time, I’m puzzled. I’m also days away from a job interview for a cultivator position so I would like to dial in my grow and not be “that guy” that grows seedy medicine…I’m sure you can understand that. :eye-roll: Also, it’s not the same tent, light, ventilation etc. Not even the same room actually.

Sadly this is the second time that this has happened to me. The first time it happened I was able to pinpoint where it came from but this time, I’m puzzled.
It does seem to happen a lot where the grower cannot figure out where the pollen came from. I have to believe that it is the occasional male flower that pushes through and grows in with female flowers. When I have come across them it does seem like the denser the way the female flowers are packed together the harder it is to see that single male flower. Naturally, if we do not check every day they seem to know and sneak in and do the job in the several days between our inspections.

And, if we are waiting those couple or 3 weeks longer for amber to show up in the trichomes we can be paying more attention to that and miss the singleton that opens up and lets the pollen out. While we are waiting we are also allowing the plant to build up any hormones that will promote the Rodalization that @zigzagman1960 has mentioned.

It does seem to happen a lot where the grower cannot figure out where the pollen came from. I have to believe that it is the occasional male flower that pushes through and grows in with female flowers. When I have come across them it does seem like the denser the way the female flowers are packed together the harder it is to see that single male flower. Naturally, if we do not check every day they seem to know and sneak in and do the job in the several days between our inspections.

And, if we are waiting those couple or 3 weeks longer for amber to show up in the trichomes we can be paying more attention to that and miss the singleton that opens up and lets the pollen out. While we are waiting we are also allowing the plant to build up any hormones that will promote the Rodalization that @zigzagman1960 has mentioned.
So after I put all three plants into jars and really getting a better look at them, I’m finding that the Bruce Banger is filled with seeds. The Durban poison maybe had ten seeds and harvested 7oz. The Skunk had 13 seeds. Bruce Banger from Seedsman was filled. I’m talking atleast 60 but is still really potent. I’m grateful for the seeds though although it’s a mystery what the cross is. So silver lining is free potent seeds of potential 3 strains that I love. Although disappointing to have seedy harvest im still looking on the bright side. A small mishap saved me hundreds of dollars on seeds!! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom