Final Grow in the Box Cap'n Style - Welcome Aboard

Thank you very much for that!

I had forgotten that you were a fellow cap'n style grower!

I'm having some issues at the moment and has been a lot harder getting answers about cap'n style sense the cap'n himself left.

I'm having some pond smell issues due to the fact that when i swap the res I can't remove the final litre or so from the bottom of the container and it's leaving me with bad smelling water.
I'm days away from brewing a tea, just waiting for myco soluble to arrive

You can use a wet dry Shop Vac to remove the remaining liquid when you are performing reservoir changes.

I'm having some issues at the moment and has been a lot harder getting answers about cap'n style sense the cap'n himself left.

I'm having some pond smell issues due to the fact that when i swap the res I can't remove the final litre or so from the bottom of the container and it's leaving me with bad smelling water.

You can do as kingjohnc suggests use a shop vac for the remaining liquids,I have not cleaned the tank since day one,I remove and replenish always leaving a couple of inches in the bottom of tote.any chance of sliding a new tote underneath??
what are you using for nutrients??

You can do as kingjohnc suggests use a shop vac for the remaining liquids,I have not cleaned the tank since day one,I remove and replenish always leaving a couple of inches in the bottom of tote.any chance of sliding a new tote underneath??
what are you using for nutrients??

How do you get the bulk of the water out?
I'm assuming you're using a pump and you're saying you can't get the last bit out. A shop vac will work, but I just flush until that little bit of water left in the res is clear.

I use my recirculation pump to empty my reservoirs. At the end, I stick a 2x4 under one side to tilt the water towards the pump to help get more out. Just like you, I'm left with a little of the waste water that looks pretty bad. I just add more water and keep draining. You keep diluting what's left and pumping it out. Eventually, the water is clear.

Raise the res off the ground by building a wooden frame on a slight angle then fit a tap on the bottom of your res where the angle is at its greatest this way the majority of the fliud leaves the res (also a lot less labour) check out my journal in my signature and you should see what i mean, hope this helps mate

You guys....THANK YOU SO MUCH! I'm going to take all of these onboard.

I tried the dilution method last time by adding more water and then removing it but I have one res that just seems to be really tough and the smell keeps coming back. I'm going to brew a tea and hope that some bennies will help the situation.
I think the dry wet vac is a great idea though so I will probably try that as my plants are currently in a scrog and I couldn't build a frame around it or install a tap at the moment...great idea though.

Thank you so much for the help guys! Seriously you have really helped me out. Will try out the wet vac and practice better res maintenance in order to combat this problem in the future...as well as adding bennies

If considering the tilt method, be sure that the waste return (into the res) is either done via a return hose, or ensuring that there are planty of holes drilled into the corner of the tote as the normal coarse of things usually relies on a level surface with a hole randomly drilled (in a corner) for access. For the res feeding my 2 flowering sites, I learned this lesson the hard way very recently. I suggest if you elevate, that you drill holes in the corners, especially the corner you will chase the return water to.

I'm sure many do it successfully, but I would not like to make a hole in the bottom of a reservoir. It's asking for a leak/accident.

koncept, are you running a sterile media or are you using bennies? If the later, then you need to stay on it all the time. If you're maintaining an environment to support them, then that same environment will support non-beneficial microorganism as well. You're in a constant war of good vs bad and have to keep reinforcing your troops. :)

If you aren't doing that, are you sterile? I run a sterile res. You either feed the roots or you feed your biome. I just skip the middleman (the bennies) and run sterile. I highly recommend products like DM's Zone or UC's Roots. I switched to Roots recently when my local shops stopped carrying DM products. The Roots has some benefits, but I'm not yet 100% convinced it works as well as Zone.

Ok thanks for the help again guys.

As for making a hole in the corner....I'm with you, I don't trust myself and I'm pretty sure I would come home one day to a leaky grow room.
I made the mistake of trying to switch always through the grow. I started with sterile but I started getting lax and a fish tank smell arrived. I then tried to clean and sterilise again but the smell remained.
I'm currently brewing a Ewc tea (Heisenberg tea) which will be ready in a few hours and I'm going to use that from now on. I believe I will top up my Rez with bennies every 5-7 days. This is my first attempt and breeding bennies and I'm Hopimg for a good result.
The reason I stopped running a sterile Rez is because I felt using products like h202 were killing off a lot of the additives I was using (due to the instructions saying do not use with h202 products....hence the attempted switch to bennies.
I am going to look into the products your suggested hiker!

As for the removing the last bits of water. I am looking for a dry wet vac currently and I will also use the dilution method mentioned above as that was what worked best for me before.
Next grow I will slightly elevate the Rez from one side by an inch or so, that the liquid inside runs towards one corner of the container and will make it easier to clear.

Another question....which has been bothering me

What PH are my fellow cap'n style users running? Because my nutrients call for a oh of 5.7 whether in soil or hydro....but My additives do not and call for the correct ph depending on medium. So I ask my friends....what PH do you run with your mini Rockwell cubes???

I run my veg @ 5.5-6.0 and flower @ 5.8-6.3

My nutes call for 6.1 in veg and 5.7 in flower. But i am a bit concerned about running 5.7 in flower.

Think I'm going to switch from Growing edge technology aroma formula line to another brand...not sure which, just got a couple free bottles of house and garden Aqua flakes so may start using that...what line is everybody else running?

GH Flora 3 part with CALiMAGic throughout. Flora Blend added during veg and Kool Bloom added during flower.

----------------- N-P-K---| V |--| T | ---| F |-----(in parts)
Grow ----------- 2-1-6 --| 3 ---- 1 ----- 2 ------
Micro ----------- 5-0-1---| 2 ---- 1 ------3 -----
Bloom ---------- 0-5-4---| 1 ---- 1 ------5 -----
CALiMAGic -----. 1-0-0
Flora Blend --. 0.5-1-1...........added in veg
Kool Bloom ----. 0-10-10........added in flower

Not entirely sure, but I think if you find any brand of feed with near NPK values as GH, you'd be able to follow Capn's recipes easier.

None of the cap'n recipes are on 420 anymore are they?
Will checkout the GH 3 part. I know KJC says good things about that range so will look into it.

Sorry for taking the journal in a different direction c5!

Like Sky, I use GH Flora. I do FB through flower though and I have a couple other things I add.

Re the tea... I wish you luck. You won't have trouble brewing them up. Making tea is easy. I had a hard time keeping the bad pathogens at bay. While my res could keep the bennies healthy, the rest of the system is stagnant and gets overrun.

I do NOT use the croutons. I use rock, so take any of my advice with that in mind.

Do any of the CapN style guys use bennies?

If you decide to go back to sterile, and your shop has it, get the DM Zone. I'm still not sold on the UC Roots. I think the Zone is "stronger". If they only have Roots, get that and use the upper end of the label's instructions (ie mix it strong).

Again, go with your instincts. I very much believe we can feel or sense our plants' well being. Any healthy living thing gives off a different energy than an unhealthy life, right? :Namaste:

If your plants tell you they need the tea, do it. It works well for many people. I wasn't one of those people. :)

CapN this capN that, this guy comes up in every post but i cant find his journals can someone tell me how to find him, sounds like a god in the green world i want to see what hes producing ?

Think ive found him, all his stuffs got padlocks next to it for some reason but im going to read up on him now, speak to you all in a few months a much wiser man lol

Think ive found him, all his stuffs got padlocks next to it for some reason but im going to read up on him now, speak to you all in a few months a much wiser man lol

Google the cap'n grows and the first few that come up are him. He is not on 420 anymore and I'm not sure why. But he is the man and is so very helpful that doing some reading up on him and his work will help ha!

I use bennies, well I have started using them. Will continue until the end of this grow and compare my roots to the last run.

Thanks for the advice hiker, going to see how things go after his run.

all good to keep the info flowing

Nice one. I love the info flying around here.
Got to admit, after using the bennies I'm quite impressed. My Rez looks ugly and there is a disgusting brown film on the top...but they smell great...much better than before so I can't complain at all.

Back
Top Bottom