First grow dying! need help!

niirvana

I've just started growing and I bought a clone (my first) that started out well, but now it just looks like it's struggling. I'll give as much info as I can to keep her alive. I have a picture that i'll show at the end of my post.

This is a cutting off of a mother plant, and was grown in a rockwool cube. I put her in a pot full of miracle grow and watered her twice daily until i switched to Fox Farm soil. I watered it once since then (thinking that over-watering was the problem) and it seems to be doing worse now even though the soil isn't moist. When i watered it I also gave the plant a minute dose of nutes. I have an 8500 lumen lamp as the sun on for 14 hours a day and a fan constantly on.

What Strain is it? White Widow
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Not sure
How Many Plants? 1
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? Veg
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long? I've had it for 5 Days
Indoor or Outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If Soil... What is in your Mix? Fox Farm
If Soil... What Size Pot? 10"
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? 1 8500 lumen light
Is it Air Cooled? Fan always on
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? 77F 25C
RH of Room/Cabinet? Haven't tested yet
PH of Medium or Reservoir? Distilled
Any Pests? No
How Often are you Watering? Whenever soil is dry
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? No Fert used. Nutes
Size or Square Footage of Room? 10x5'

This is everything i can think of ATM, please ask as many questions as you'd like!

DSC00506-1.jpg

What is your watering schedule like, how often do you water?

I haven't been watering it recently because I've been afraid I've been over watering it. I used to water it twice a day, at 150ml total. Before then I just felt the soil and if it was dry I'd water. I haven't watered it since Saturday evening.

It's not a new clone that's roots aren't fully developed yet is it?

That soil looks dry as a bone. I think it's wilted.

Pick up the pot and note the weight. Then, water until a little drains out the bottom. Note the weight of the pot again. A plant that small probably won't need watering again for nearly a week. Check the weight of the pot to know when to water again. It should be a little heavier than it is now. ;)

Time to think about feeding it too...

:peace:

Harry

When I transplanted it out of the Miracle Grow, the roots were not even out of the rockwool cube yet (although there was one that was poking through.) Should I saturate the soil with water that has nutes in it or water? How often should I water it after I have saturated the actual soil with water?

Ok, sounds like the root system has not fully developed. Just saturate it with pure H2O and don't water again until the pot you're using is light again. The drying out period is important because as it dries, the roots will grow to search for water, giving you a strong root system.

Always use a wet/dry cycle when growing MJ. When it feels dry to the touch around 2 inches down and the pot gets light, water again.

Start will some veg nutes on the next watering.

Hopefully, the roots weren't damaged when you transplanted...

Harry

Ok, so in layman's terms I would need to water the plant until the water starts to leak into the pan. After that I'd let it dry until it is dry and then rinse and repeat. Should I also spray the leaves with water?

I think more light would be a good idea. You have 8500 lumens but the plant can haddle alot more and should have it. Think about getting atleast 2 more lights on it add some perlite to you medium and mix well. Try not to break any roots while taking it out it will stunt the growth. Hope this helps. Good luck hope to see a health plant soon!!!!

Well, I pinched off two leaves because they were just dried out completely after I had watered it yesterday. It kind of reminds me of Charlie brown's Christmas tree now lol. I removed as much rockwool as I could without harming the plant so now some of the roots are touching the soil and hopefully that will be enough. If that doesn't work i'm afraid that this will be the end of the road for this little plant :[. I think this is a good sign, but I'm seeing minor growth where the leaves were pinched off before. I've pretty much saturated the entire pot of soil so it's moist. Wish me and my first plant the best of luck.

I don't use rock wool for clones (just peat, water and a cup) but if the clone has roots, it should survive. Making sure it has enough light, as BUD08 suggests, is a good idea as well. If you are seeing new growth, you should be ok.

Did it perk back up some after you watered it well?

Harry

It did, and it's doing alot better now since i've started the wet dry cycle and it's working wonders. Thanks so much for the help and support!

Great to hear that thhey are doing better man. Cant wait to see the update. Also just so you know for next time. If your plants are growing in rock wool or peat moss they dont have to have roots coming out of them to be planted in soil. I like to keep my sprouts nice and healthy by alowing them to poke through and find there way into the soil. I have also noticed that the plant stays stable longer and doesnt lean.

When I transplanted it out of the Miracle Grow, the roots were not even out of the rockwool cube yet (although there was one that was poking through.) Should I saturate the soil with water that has nutes in it or water? How often should I water it after I have saturated the actual soil with water?
There's nothing wrong with rockwool. I don't know if any1 pointed this out to u yet, but U shouldn't transplant until rootS (not a root hair) are visible from the bottom and/or sides of thre rock wool cube. How many days did it take for roots to show? What sized rockwool cubes u using? U can still run into the same problems, just less likely. And the wet dry watering cycle still applies. Rockwool is all I use. NEVER had an issue with it. Just follow the directions on the rockwool pack and ur rooting hormone instructions and U should be able to handle it from there.
Another thing I've learned from these forums is that MG soil isn't best for cannabis, especially seedlings. The problem is the nutes are already in the soil and u have no control over how they're released to the plants. When U feed them with mixed nutes ur giving them what u want them to have. MG ferts can stay n the soil for weeks. Lots of growers on here go wrong by fertilizing MG soil, it just needs water first 2-3 weeks (unless u start out in a party cup). Next time regular potting soil if ur on a budget. Fox Farms Ocean Forrest is good. Been using it, good results. If at all possible try to avoid Miracle Grow soil (any of them as far as I'm concerned).But yea many of us on hear have different methods and preferences, the rockwool issue is a prime example. I can assure u 100% it safe to use for cloning if the directions are followed and u have healthy genetics,a good rooting hormone, as well as humidity dome or fogger. good luck to u.

Back
Top Bottom