First Grow - Experienced Advice Needed

Thought i'd post an update - Im going for one of those DR40 Tents due to their size (50cm by 50cm by 140cm). Ive decided to keep the grow small and grow just one plant - From what ive seen, the fewer plants in an enclosed space, the higher and better quality the overall yield. Ill be keeping the grow tent in a small cupboard in my room, with a small intake with some sort of thin ducting (like a vacuum cleaner pipe thickness) out the window for fresh air most of the time -other times when im out for a few hours, ill have the cupboard closed. Would this suffocate my plants though? Ill be using a carbon filter to filter the smell out of the air using negative pressure to minimise odor. Im also considering growing Northern Lights by Pyramid Seeds as they reportedly have a lesser odor - This is absolutely paramount. I dont want a single molecule of odor until I open the tent - absolutely none whatsoever outside of the tent. Ill be living with housemates who may not be cool about it (even if they all smoked weed, smoking it and growing it are two different things - I wouldnt tell them, Id just let them think I stink of it 24/7 cos im such a hardcore stoner!). So im thinking of the CFL's as planned, one seedling and probably some Fox Farm nutes and Mollases. Plenty of clean filtered water and it sounds like a plan. What do you guys think?

sounds like a plan. i wouldnt bother filtering your water, you take away some useful minerals, just let it stand for 12 hours to dechlorinate, then add in a nice splash of 9%h2o2 mouthwash you can get from any chemist to freshen up the waters oxygen levels..

use no more than 1 part h2o2 @95 to 14 parts tap water. (pest killing strength). for a nice refreshing oxygen drink, just use 1x 9% 200ml bottle to a gallon of water.

hope you have a great carbon filter and a strong extractor. if so that will in combination with negative pressure will eliminate the smell. just make sure your negative pressure isnt too strong or you will strain the extractor and the plants.

sounds like a plan. i wouldnt bother filtering your water, you take away some useful minerals, just let it stand for 12 hours to dechlorinate, then add in a nice splash of 9%h2o2 mouthwash you can get from any chemist to freshen up the waters oxygen levels..

use no more than 1 part h2o2 @95 to 14 parts tap water. (pest killing strength). for a nice refreshing oxygen drink, just use 1x 9% 200ml bottle to a gallon of water.

hope you have a great carbon filter and a strong extractor. if so that will in combination with negative pressure will eliminate the smell. just make sure your negative pressure isnt too strong or you will strain the extractor and the plants.

Excellent. Gig, I just want to take a moment to thank you for all your help so far - Really, youve been truly helpful. I just had a final question. Ill be going out 3 - 4 hours at a time, perhaps overnight at times and dont want to leave the carbon filter running. If I taped over the intake and exhaust tightly whilst im out, will any smell escape considering the tent is pretty airtight with the negative pressure and all? or is it best I just leave it running. Im just worried incase any maintenance guys come over for an emergency visit like a burst pipe or fire drill or something (I live in student accom and they have keys to the room). Im okay in regards to room inspections as they give notification prior and I'd just wrap the tent up tight and tell them its a gift for my girlfriend (Her name is Mary Jane!). So I wouldnt want them to stumble across it which im sure they would if they saw the intake and exhaust trailed accross the room haha! :surrender:

if you kill your fans, you no longer have negative pressure.
when its young and un smelly you can get away with it for a while, but the smell will escape and draw attention far easier than the noise of the fans.

and its very important that mj gets to breath, she does not like to be sat in stagnant air.
and of course you need your fans going at all times during lights on or depending on your set up you risk everything from cooking your plants to setting the place on fire. =(

leave them running as much as possible ;)

Back
Top Bottom