From what I've researched, yes and no...

Genetically, There are male plants with x and Y chromosomes. Female plants with Y chromosomes. Hermies with x and Y chromosomes - false females. Hermies with Y and x Chromosomes - false male.

Those differ from stress based "Hermies" which aren't considered "true Hermies" - stress related - only affects females. This is where you get a female to produce "naners" during flowering.

How I understand it, only a stress related "hermie", female with naners, will produce femanized seeds and the rest are actually genetically polluted and will carry the Hermies gene.

From what I've researched, yes and no...

Genetically, There are male plants with x and Y chromosomes. Female plants with Y chromosomes. Hermies with x and Y chromosomes - false females. Hermies with Y and x Chromosomes - false male.

Those differ from stress based "Hermies" which aren't considered "true Hermies" - stress related - only affects females. This is where you get a female to produce "naners" during flowering.

How I understand it, only a stress related "hermie", female with naners, will produce femanized seeds and the rest are actually genetically polluted and will carry the Hermies gene.
Not all will hermie but not worth the risk. Imo

"carpe diem"

In days gone by I grew outdoors, subject to the whims of nature and occasionally, late in the seasons, hermaphrodites would rear their ugly heads as the desperate virgins sought to reproduce before it was too late. Naturally, I would ruthlessy hunt them down and remove them before the damage was done. Sometimes those sneaky little pollen sacs hid from my prying gaze and managed to do the deed before I caught them. At times, I germinated these rogue hermie seeds as an experiment and 100% of the time, they too reproduced as hermies.

While somewhat off topic, I thought it might be pertinent to add a comment I left on another thread.

I know I'm zombie bumping here, but I was just reminiscing about the old days in the 80s before the advent of feminised and auto flowering seeds. I used to grow outdoors all year round in a hot and dry Mediterranean climate and noticed there was always a higher ratio of males to females during the winter. As an experiment one year, I had the crazy notion of trying birth control pills to see if it made any difference.

I crushed up some bc pills in water and used this to soak about 80 seeds before germinating. I must admit I soon forgot about this until I noticed that I had a 100% female population in winter as they began to show their sex and then remembered my little experiment. I know it is only anecdotal evidence, but I had never, even in summer, had 100% females before or since. Coincidence?

GMan:

I have several, but I'm currently only running 2: 300's. The draw 140 watts and its output measure at 4,600 flux. It's the 250HPS Equivalent.

I'll be posting an update a little later; I've had some changes.

GMan:

I have several, but I'm currently only running 2: ViparSpectra 300's. The draw 140 watts and its output measure at 4,600 flux. It's the 250HPS Equivalent.

I'll be posting an update a little later; I've had some changes.

Nice. I've been looking into LEDs for my 4'x4' tent for the summer. My garage gets over 110f and it'll be hard enough to keep cool without an hps light. The ViparSpectra 300's are reasonably priced so I'm gonna keep an eye on your grow to decide if I'll get these.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Nice. I've been looking into LEDs for my 4'x4' tent for the summer. My garage gets over 110f and it'll be hard enough to keep cool without an hps light. The ViparSpectra 300's are reasonably priced so I'm gonna keep an eye on your grow to decide if I'll get these.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I think it's very difficult choosing LEDs these days as there is so much bullshit being paraded as fact that it's hard to know the truth is. I ended up recently buying a very expensive P450 (I won't mention the brand as I discovered they were former sponsors here and there is a lot of bad blood). I'm using a 4 X 4 tent as well and, so far, I have no complaints with the lights. You can check out my current grow if you are interested.

They definitely run cool compared to HPS - with two of these my exhaust is at only 25% to keep it under 80 degrees. Running all 1,520 watts causes my to run my fans at 75%.

Honestly, I've been amazed at the growth these lights create. I could see significant growth from the time I went to work to the time I got home.

Thanks for all of your help, everyone. C-1 is a definitely hermie and now, unfortunately, dead (moment of silence).

I've gone back to my original 2 high blue spectrum LED lights. Going to definitely shocked them and made it difficult to maintain humidity as I had to jack up my exhaust to maintain 80'. They're also still just little so I definitely think 1,500 watts were overkill �� - lesson learned.

Today's growth: today BW-1 is 21 days. The others are 2 - 7 days younger.
IMG_423312.JPG

The order: bottom left BW-1 / top BW-2. Top right C-2 / bottom AK-2

Temps have been 78 (day) and 65 (night). RH 50-55%. PH 6.00 - 6.10. These numbers are the same every day.

I've added an aerator - 2 lines in each fog box.

I finally got my hydrogaurd - it's shown great overall improvement in the water reservoir; roots look nice and white.

Fimming didn't appear to take on BW-1 (fuck I missed missing...?) so I topped her 2 days ago and attempted to use her head as a clone... it's not really working.
IMG_423113.JPG

IMG_423210.JPG

AK-1 displayed mild nute burn and wasn't showing much growth - VERY slow. AK-2, however, in the dungeon, was doing quite well under 24/0. So I switched the two. She was also DWC, not fog, and slightly weaker nutes.
IMG_423518.JPG

Both are looking good.

QUESTIONs:
- Will decreasing the light reduce nutrient burn or is it strictly volumetric; %nutrient solution?
- I'm assuming raising my lights would allow for more stretch? Not that I want to, I just notice everybody else's plants I see are much taller.

The plan has changed to ONLY LST C-2. I'm going to bend her over and allow the side nodes to reach up. I'm just nervous to how she'll respond to any HST.

The BW's will still be manifolded and so will the AK.

Nute burn is directly related to your % and PH. Light can exacerbate the problem . If your PH is below 5 or over 6.5 the chance of nute burn is decreased as the take up of nutes will be less, but if you think you are having issues with nute burn - browning of the tips and the claw - reduce your nute %.

As for stretch, that is related to the genetics, light distance and photo period. Sativa and sativa heavy strains will be taller and less bushy than Indica and Indica heavy strains. If the plant is too far from the light it will definitely stretch. Conversely, even with LEDs, if the light is too close you will get light burn and bleaching. A good indicator for light burn is the leaves curling under and facing down away from the lights. At the optimum distance the leaves will be either horizontal in the case of the larger fan leaves or reaching upwards somewhat to embrace the light. Irrespective of the genetics, the longer the dark period the greater the stretch. Plants on 24/0 will have little to no stretch at all and will be very compact. For this reason, most growers opt for a 18/6 photo period.

If I'm not mistaken, the reason behind this is that different carbohydrates (sugars) are created during the dark period and are used for cellular growth. But whatever the science behind it, they will indeed stretch during the dark period. For this reason, I am slowly cutting my light down from 20/4 by 1 hour every 2 days before I get to 12/12 as mine is just way too bushy and over crowded. Then, as the branches stretch, I can LST them to better fill my grow space.

Update:

FIMmed both AK's. Pinched the dungeon child. Cut the tent one. I totally effed the FIM on the tent one though... don't partake before FIMming :)
IMG_424510.JPG
IMG_42508.JPG

Trimmed first node from BW-1 and placed both in clone tray. BW-1 is just so far ahead and such a strong grower that I think she's going to become a mother... unless my topped clone takes. If her top takes she'll get her own room... maybe. I don't know. Just kinda thinking out loud.
IMG_425210.JPG

IMG_425110.JPG

The cola clone is starting to stand back up though, so I think that's a good sign.
IMG_424911.JPG

I'm definitely leaving C-2 be though.
IMG_425411.JPG

A little tip for cloning. When I trim the tops or branches and I want to clone, I put them immediately into ph'd water and leave them for a few days before then using rooting hormone and putting them into their little humid house. That way they never wilt!

Yeah, I'm following the guide mostly. It's also quite literally my first time cloning.

Yesterday I thought it was dead because it was laying flat on the root plug. Today though... I've gained some hope.

Back
Top Bottom