First signs of problem on a month old plant!

420Cudistoner

Does anyone know what's wrong with our plant? :p
Unsure about spots on leaves at the bottom of plant. Upper leaves seem fine so far.. Water it about every few days and it's under a 150w incandescent and a 13w (equivalent to 60w?) cfl. In soil.. would much appreciate if anyone know what this is. Thanks!
SAM_00931.JPG
SAM_0092.JPG

Alright yeah haha its about 3 inches from the bottom leaves now.. thanks again :p hopefully will be able to flower her soon! when do you usually flower your plants height wise?

You can flower when ever you like, really doesnt matter. that will depend on if you feel like its ready to be flowered. Also depends on what bud production/yield you are looking to get. The size of the plant does matter for yield. Some ppl flower when there plants are short so about 3rd or 4th wek because they dont have alot of room. If you have alot of room you can flower late I say about 2-7 feet.

Ah ok well I guess I have a medium amount of room.
I talked to one of buddies today and he thought the problem could be a zinc/magnesium deficiency.. any thoughts? I've only used nutrients on her when she was first growing, I guess they do say to feed it about once a month?

Hey mate, Well from last pic she was lookin ok??
But Incandescant bulbs are bad for plants, even just putting it under a 6500k CFL will be better.. Im currently growing 2 seedlings on 1 hi output CFL, and theyre doing ok so far, but soon one will be culled.
I dont know mate, if anything, id give her a good feed of some Seaweed extract, its cheap, and GREAT FOR YOUR PLANT!! I use it alot and my plants are usually pretty good health wise and produce well..
But maybe you might want to choose her final pot, make up some good soil for it, re plant her.. Give her a quart strength water in of Seaweed extract.. And let her be a few days, then apply a quart strength nutrient fertiliser, doesnt have to be nothin flash - I use a liquid fertiliser from a grocery store thats organic and has abit of Blood and Bone in it, and N,P,K for the plant in not too strong dose so nute burn is hard. But only feed every 2nd 3rd feed.. They need time to breathe and just water is good for em now and then.. Hope you get it sorted mate:) Smokemup

Thanks for the advice Smokemup, I may try that! Just fertilized her though with an already mixed organic fertilizer a couple days ago. The spots haven't spread or anything so she may be doing fine. Why are incandescent bulbs bad for the plant? and have you heard that adding too much Nitrogen during flowering makes a plant male??

Appreciate the advice also wiz, I have my small cfl on the bottom plants which may have caused the burn.. which I think it may be just be burns.. There aren't any new spots on any other leaves and the spots that were there have kind of darkened? We were going to try to flower it actually due to lack of space.. I looked into topping and just didn't wanna mess it up. I definitely agree she needs a little more growth, would be nice. Only problem is we started it on a 12/12 last Friday(3 days ago) and she seems to be showing signs of possibly being a male today. :/ Any thoughts? Thanks again for the help ^^

Hey mate,
Incandescent bulbs dont emit light in a frequency that a plant needs to grow well. When you purchase Cfl globes for your house, you can buy them with different color spectrums - ( Some are 2500k's ( Kelvins) and some are 6500K's ) also known as Warm white or Cool white, these spectrums affect the plants growth. If you give a plant enough of the blue light during veg(6500k's) Cfl s, MH lights, the plant will grow faster and bigger than as opposed to a 75w Incandescant. See with the Incan. you can choose the Wattage but not the Kelvins, well some may be similar, but i find CFL s very good for growing plants, you dont need a big expensive set up, just 3 or 4 household CFL's of the right spectrum:)
Im not 100% on too much N causing a male?? I doubt it, as the plant should be showing it s sex just before flowering - With its 2 white Pre-hairs.. But too much N during flower is not usually done, it s use gets reduced as i gets into flower as the plant needs to use up its own storage of it.. WHAT ARE THE 'SIGNS' OF POSSIBLY BEING MALE ITS SHOWING??

Ah ok well I was using a 150w incandescent mainly for the heat which is why i had a smaller cfl. Looks like I need to upgrade though :p
Oh that's good. ^^
And she may be starting to form balls at the nodes but it just may be too early to tell because they are really small. I tried multiple times to take a photo but it's just too blurry. Hopefully it isn't.. you guys know if I could add anything to persuade her to be female? ;)

Yeah Buddy you will need some CFL's at least, theyre capable of Vegging a plant to grow fairly big and healthy mate. I got most of my lighting sockets from Ceramic desk lamps:) Just "CAREFULLY" break the ceramic base and extract the complete cord with the socket to put your globe into. Try not to damage the cord and if its damaged probably toss it as SAFETY FIRST, BUT i wrap the base in a sweater and break mine with 1 hit of the hammer and then gradually remove piece by piece carefully with out causing damage and they are what i use, along with a home made reflector to help direct light. IF YOURE NOT COMPETENT WITH ELECTRICAL STUFF- DONT TRY IT!! WOULD HATE ANY ACCIDENTS!!
AND sorry for the bad news... BUT ONCE A MALE, ALWAYS A MALE!! No turning back from here buddy sorry:( If youre seeing small balls, MALE.
If its a girl, at the node - a small little singular ball will appear and 2 white Pre-hairs will emerge from them, only 2. There should be no round multiples of balls, Its no big loss mate.. As once you get the CFL's you need, it will only take 2-3weeks to get back to where you are now and you will see a difference in the plants health and size too:)
Dont take it as a bad thing, as it happens to us all ( well ive only ever sprouted 1 male ) but most get a male here n there, but if you give another seed a go, and then youll be happy with the next one buddy!! GOODLUCK AND HAPPY GROWING MATE:):):) Catch ya, Smokemup..

Wow that's a really good idea using a ceramic lamp, thanks for the tip. hm only 2-3 weeks eh?
Ah that blows tho :/ I'm not certain it's male, the thing forming at the nodes almost looks like a ball though but I guess I may have to wait longer to tell.. The bottom leaves are still not doing well and almost seem worse? If it's a female, would love to fix this.. the weird spots also spread to a small 3 leaf beside it! The 3 leaf only has 1 spot on it as of now though. Here's some pictures of the 5 and 3 leaves:
SAM_01151.JPG
SAM_01121.JPG
SAM_01112.JPG

No worries buddy!! As i said, just take your time with the lamp as you want to avoid damage, but usually if you wrap it in something and crack it in the middle of the base it should fall into pieces easily and just remove the cord from in side and then youre able to free hang it above the plant and then maybe 1 more either side, so 3 lights and you should have a power house CHEAP LIGHTING SYSTEM!! Mylar is the best thing to buy to reflect light, its fairly easy to get, it s just like a mirror but doesnt trap light. Since buying this i wont go back - if your set up is done ok, you should get light reflected back on ur plant where its needed.. Shiny side of foil is ok?, just!! But ive used it..
And yeah, id say with a couple of 6500k CFL's in under 4 weeks anyway youll have a good healthy plant mate.. I KNOW ITS FRUSTRATING SCRAPPING WHAT YOUVE DONE UP TIL NOW, BUT HONESTLY MATE - IMO ( and im not trying to insult you buddy ) That plant doesnt look too well, its very stretched and there is a bit of space between each level of branches. And if indeed it is a male, wasting more time on it flowering it will only dis appoint you.. As seeing buds form that are packed full of seeds growing on a plant aint so pretty!
Ill show you a pic of my current grow when she was about 3/4 weeks old, raised on CFL's until 4 weeks then used my 400w MH. But using the CFL's all the way til flower would have been similar.. So i really suggest mate, if you can, mix up some good organic soil with some active nutrients i it, Dont need top dollar stuff, just a decent soil, and maybe mix a little Cal/mag thru it and some pot mix and it should be a great soil to grow in, germinate ur seed in wet paper towel or whatever ur method, then place it 1cm below surface light water it in, and then keep the light a couple inches above and in about 48hrs it should be nearing the surface. I plant my seeds into clear plastic cups with drain holes on bottom so i can see when its roots are at the bottom of the cup, when there is a few visible its nearing time for trans planting to final pot.
So yeah, its just my opinion mate, if you wanna keep the plant going DO IT!! Ya will still maybe get some buds from it, just wont be as much.. All the best mate whatever you do and heres my current plant at about 3.5 weeks.. Cya mate, Smokemup...
2012-07-29_15_39_19.jpg

Wow man that's just such a big difference! And great advice yet again that I need to follow.. Maybe I'll start a journal next time around? lol. might be a while though :/ Do you guys think the spots could possibly be cause by the plant getting too cold at night?
Pretty sure she's a male... :'( can you guys confirm this from the pictures? sorry, best ones I could get:
SAM_01181.JPG

SAM_01202.JPG

Back
Top Bottom