First time growing, need some help with soil and watering

RonTheJeremy

I was wondering if anybody could help me out by telling me the necessary components for my soil mix. I'm also having a hard time finding a an ideal watering schedule, and how much water to give. The strain is purple kush, any help is appreciated. Cheers

Hello Ron & welcome to :420:

It is more likely more easy to buy a brand name bag most of the time than try to mix your own soil/compost blend & perhaps a little more expensive.

Might want to avoid a main potting mix as these may contain a higher level of nutrients with in the soil & mainly so if germinating or you have a young seedling / small plant the nutrients in a potting mix may cause nutrient burn on the leafs !

If that is the case you are better off with a soil/compost mix stated for use with seedlings with much lower nutrients a safer choice.

These types of soil/compost with nutrients in may last a few to several weeks so feeding is not to essential in the beginning but perhaps towards the end of vegging liquid nutrients can be applied at a lower rate than the bottle suggest to help avoid nutrient burn.

Watering is a skill people need to learn & observe when to apply both under/over watering share the same characteristics aka droopy leafs a slight fine line of difference between them tho !

I may suggest learning the weight difference between a well watered pot to a dry pot of soil first it will give you a guide line.

I normally water in well in till the point of run off in the tray/dish etc & then wait in till the pots are nearly dry before watering again.

The length of period between watering will depend on some things like pot size & plant size, little plants don't drink much & may last longer before watering is needed but bigger plants may need an additional watering through out the week.

Temperature also plays a part as this may encourage more use of water/evapouration from the pot coupled with relative humidity as to when & need to water.

It is few things to think about pot size, plant size & over all temp :thumb:

As fuzzy duck said for beginners its better to use ready made soil mix, anything aerated, light wight, without slow release agents. Preferably with some kind of ph buffer(most cummon formbis dolomite lime) .
Defficiencies are easy to recover but toxicity/overdose is harder to overcome.
For watering again as fuzzy said, let it dry between waterings. Leafs will fall abit when watering is necessary. Again underwatering is simple to recover ( you just water it!) but over watering can cause root rot whicg will stay with you for a long time.
Remember that cannabis is like any other plant, it didnt come from space, be precise but dont over kill yourself. Like anything else practice makes perfect. Dont stress, even cup winners started some day as a beginner and they all had their share of mistakes.try to enjoy your journey :)
Good luck and happy growing :)

As fuzzy duck said for beginners its better to use ready made soil mix, anything aerated, light wight, without slow release agents. Preferably with some kind of ph buffer(most cummon formbis dolomite lime) .

I agree and I use Dr. Earth Pot of Gold it's organic and can be found at any Home Depot for about $10 and does better to me that the very expensive Foxes Farm Ocean Forest and has the same ingredients.

Back
Top Bottom