Foghorn - Bloombox - Noob - 2012

DSCN28481.JPG
DSCN28381.JPG
DSCN2840.JPG
DSCN2841.JPG

Wow, what a day. I came from working a 7pm to 7am shift to find the little spots had turned into full on holes! I googled around and looked at some things on this sight also and I'm convinced it's nute burn. It got much worse when I switched to the flower tub that has a much heavy nute schedule. Iv read to cut it in half the first week, and I did for veg. But forgot for flower. I read so much stuff I forget a lot of it. So I drained my hydro 9 resevoir for the first time, I had just filled it for the first time yesterday, and getting a dedicated shop vac is a must. The pump certainly gets the majority, 84% actually is what it got for me this time. I measured what I sucked out with my nute measuring syringe that has a ten inch whip on it. Then did the math. It took a long time. The sucking, not the math. Turns out all my math teachers in school we'r wrong, I DO have calculater with me at all times. I'm typing on it right now actually. I digress... The point being that I didn't want to use my shop vac I already have because I know exactly where filthy shit sucker has been and it's not going near my baby's. So I need to go get a little one or two gallon shop vac kept clean and used just for this. I'm thinking panty hose over the end to avoid sucking any roots. I can't imagine not having a empty net pot to pull to gain access to the resevoir. I think I will always leave at least one in the empty. For awhile at least. Iv read others say that they don't sweat the bit left the resevoir and have never had troubles, and I'm sure they're right. But like today I needed ALL the water out. Plus that's where I check and adjust my ph daily. Iv thought that if I do fill it, I could just suck a sample out with syringe through the hole for the water line. But I'm lazy.

So after all that sucking, I filled the tub with oh balanced RO water a turned on the water pumps to flush the rock wool. I plan on letting them drink the pure for 24hrs.

Iv mixed a new batch if nutes at a little less than half strength and have it siting with a small airs stone in it settling down. I find that mixing the night before and adjusting the ph slowly over 24 hours makes it more stable once it's added to resevoir. Before I had really large up swings right away. It still rises, but a lot slower and not as much. Actually, I didn't find that, I read that, and found it works. At no point do want act like I'm telling people "my way". I'm just a noob trying diffrent ways and reporting the results. But that has helped me.

Also in the pics you might be able to see through the blur my new air pump set up. Iv put my aquarium pump that is virtually silent next to my new and wonderfully working stock pump. The aquarium pump is the black dome one with the large red valve handle resting on top. The stock one is the metal finned pump that the line from the red handle leads to. Both pumps are attached to a stainless manifold that has individual shutoff valves for 12 ports. I think 12. Count if you'd like. But the three ports on the opposite end of the intake ports lead to the air stones in the flower and veg chambers. This allows me to turn off the air leading to the veg chamber when it's not in use. Or God forbid my perpetual grow messes up and the flower chamber is not in use. But the goal is to keep that thing blooming! Also I can use either the aquarium pump by itself, like I am now since the heat has been a little high. Or flip that valve and use both for super bubbles. Or turn the switches on the manifold to the aquarium pump and just use the stock pump. It looks pretty ghetto with zip ties, but I was to tired to go to home depot and try to fabricate some stand or mount.

So that's where I'm at. I have mom that could be a dad, four girls all burned up, but a valuable lesson learned. This whole thing had been very educational. If anybody is reading this to gain knowledge before starting their own, take notes! Iv read sooo much and then made mistakes that I should have seen coming but didn't because I forgot. Iv read dozens of journals and would suggest anybody else do the same. They seem to fall into three categories, noobs like me just going "help, help, help," then people that think they're putting a forum at cannabis college and know the one and only "right" way. Then thers really cool people like OMM, Dime, xlr8 and several others that have very good honest and open discussions about diffrent methods of growing. Nobody's preaching the "right" way. These are the journals to follow.

One more question, what should I do with my messed up leaves? Cut off the damaged and curled up portion? Cut or pinch the entire leaf? Let the plant decide?

Well it must have been nute burn BECAUSE when I came home this morning from things looked a lot better after the straight ph balanced RO. I was planning on doing a resevoir change this morning, but my resevoir is empty. I'm going IHOP then bed until noon. Then I'll do it. I was just freaking out all night wondering what I was going to find. It's good tho.

Still wondering what to do with fd up leaves.... I'll leave them until mother nature takes them off or somebody suggest otherwise with a logical reason.

obviously you can tell from the pics that a lot has changed. i Thought i clicked on fem seeds when ordering, but i did not. STUPID STUPID STUPID. Im not trying be a breeder, Im trying to grow medicine. Three of the four I had put into the flower last week showed male. So they are gone. I wanted to make the most of the last one I had so kinda went nuts. I basically did everything Iv ever seen on Youtube or read on the internet. I tied her down, spread her out, taped her up, and then built a SCROG screen. The one in the pics is round two. my first brilliant idea was to put two small shower curtains across and tie a screen. Easy I thought. But when i was adjusting the second one the first fell and broke one of my four main stems! I screamed like I had dropped a log on my son's head. Fortunately the T-5's wernt broke. But I decided to abandon the idea of suspending something above them. So I built the stand you see. The parts cost 11.00$ including some candy and water bought while standing in line. Ya, I was medicated. I think it turned out descent.

I know that a true SCROG is started in the veg state and you cant just throw net on it at week 2 of flower and say "Hey, look at my SCROG". Like I said, I kinda went nuts and realize I stressed her more than necessary with my meddling hands. So Im going to keep my hands out of there for awhile. I think it wound up looking OK though. YA?

If somebody sees something I can improve or has questions, let me know.

Keep on growing!!

Whats up foghorn. I like the idea of the under lights, grows looking good so far, I think my next grow will be hydro. do you like your system?

Hey Rook, thanks for the support! I fn love my system. I'm actually looking into building a small mother box so I can have more variety. And holy shit is it harder than you think. I'm really glad I just spent the money and bought an all in one box with single plug and play. I have hydro DWC, CO2 injection, 400w MH in my flower chamber, a true 125w CFL in the veg side that has a spot for mom, and a shelf to Place the included clone dome. Dude, I couldn't design and build some shit like. And I imagine the ppl with the engineering degrees that could have enough money to stroke a check and buy one. Iv read from a lot of framers and stuff saying "I could build that for waaaay less! Your stupid!" and once in a blue moon one will actually post a pic of they're box and it's some MDf framed into a small box with some homedepot CFLs in it. The guys that do have bad ass DIY boxes don't talk shit because they know it takes A LOT of time to build a good one. And you still have to spend good money on good components like lights, fans and filters. All that being said a good DIY box can if done right can be built for more specific applications. And EVERY DIY iv seen is wood. Wood rots when it's wet. So if your growing hydro how long till you that happens? I made it two weeks before I made mess. But it's all metal. I'm going to be growing out if this pig in another 15 years.

I LOVE IT!

I got my next batch of seeds today! Pineapple express autoflower FEM. I'll never make the mistake of clicking regular again. I tripled checked. I got three freebies and paid for ten. Not bad. I'll put them tomorrow on the veg side under the clone dome and I will start crop two before croP one is even done. Perpetual!!!

So, they have started to flower and I realy should be more excited than I am. I thought it would be bigger and have more bud sites. It's on exactly day 1 of week 3 in the last if the pics im about to post. How much taller will the plant stretch once they start to actually flower. The strain is big bud, in DWC with CO2 injection. Does anybody have a genreal idea?

My other thOught is, would it help to inject O2 into my airlines for DWC? I have access so cost is not an issue. Just effect. Iv read that the plant only gets a small % of its O from the roots. Most is from the CO2 it intakes. I know plants intake Co2 and expell O. That's why theyr filters. (thanks 8th grade science!) so would adding MORE really help?

Anybody out there?

Hey Foghorn!!

First, sorry about not being around more lately. Just been really busy at home with things and not feeling 100 percent.

Bummer about the males, that sucks! Don't worry, that one plant will fill up its space nicely, and give you a lot of meds. You'll be amazed at how much more it will spread out, and how full it will get in there from just one plant. I think the screen was a great idea, btw. As much as you can, pull down the tops under the net or bend them so that the plant redirects energy to the lower grow tips. Like a game of "whack-a-mole" just keep pushing down the tops when they come up. This might be difficult at this stage, but that's the goal.

On the oxygen, There is a limit to dissolved oxygen (DO) that the plant can benefit from. The key is maintaining temps of the nutrient solution below about 68f for best results. At the right temps, plenty of oxygen will be available to the plant with the air stones you are already using. At the wrong temps, no amount of oxygen will be enough as the water/nutes will be able to hold it. Warm water doesn't hold DO well at all.... Does that make sense?

Nice job so far!! :high-five:

Thanks for the visit xlr8! I hope your physically, mentally, and spiritually well. It's hard to be all three at the same time, so we focus on the ones you can control to balance the ones we can't. Iv read so many of your journals that it's like when you read a book you develop a picture and voice of the character in your mind. I picture you as my favorite Uncle Jim. And OMM and quicksilver and all the old timers are like his fishing buddies..... Iv got to stop posting while medicated.

Anyway, iv done more reading about DO in general, not just on mmj forums, and your absolutely right. I believe my efforts would be better placed into a cooler. I looked at the "ice probe" and it seems perfect for most set ups as long as you have a flat surface to stick it through on your resevoir. I think yours is round though. But in my box I have no room for even something small like that. It only cost 170$ and to jump up to a remote unit is like 500 and the BOTTOM of the price range, most 900+. And I would need to drill two holes for the water lines and light proof them. Plus I'm concerned that the unit would raise the ambient temp if my small walk in closet that I couldn't use in the hottest part of the year (now) when I'd benefit from it the most. Placing it out side the closet is not an option due to the wifey. I get the closet to do whatever I want, and she rules every square inch outside of that. Honestly I'm amazed I got the closet! Hahaha. Oh well. My dream house will have a nice cool basement the foot print of the house with a small corner being the access and my office. Have a couch and tv do I could go hide there as long as I want, hehehe. And the other 80%, grow space! With seperat HVAC and exhaust tubes from the big four foot tube filters. Like I said, dream house.

But in all seriousness, thanks for stopping by, and be well my friend.

Thanks for the visit xlr8! I hope your physically, mentally, and spiritually well. It's hard to be all three at the same time, so we focus on the ones you can control to balance the ones we can't. Iv read so many of your journals that it's like when you read a book you develop a picture and voice of the character in your mind. I picture you as my favorite Uncle Jim. And OMM and quicksilver and all the old timers are like his fishing buddies..... Iv got to stop posting while medicated.

Anyway, iv done more reading about DO in general, not just on mmj forums, and your absolutely right. I believe my efforts would be better placed into a cooler. I looked at the "ice probe" and it seems perfect for most set ups as long as you have a flat surface to stick it through on your resevoir. I think yours is round though. But in my box I have no room for even something small like that. It only cost 170$ and to jump up to a remote unit is like 500 and the BOTTOM of the price range, most 900+. And I would need to drill two holes for the water lines and light proof them. Plus I'm concerned that the unit would raise the ambient temp if my small walk in closet that I couldn't use in the hottest part of the year (now) when I'd benefit from it the most. Placing it out side the closet is not an option due to the wifey. I get the closet to do whatever I want, and she rules every square inch outside of that. Honestly I'm amazed I got the closet! Hahaha. Oh well. My dream house will have a nice cool basement the foot print of the house with a small corner being the access and my office. Have a couch and tv do I could go hide there as long as I want, hehehe. And the other 80%, grow space! With seperat HVAC and exhaust tubes from the big four foot tube filters. Like I said, dream house.

But in all seriousness, thanks for stopping by, and be well my friend.

Haha, I'll take favorite uncle! :thanks:

I appreciate all the kind words and well wishes immensely -- truly. :) I just feel bad that I haven't been around more.

Things are looking good to me so far. If temps ever become a big problem for you, you can go low budget and drop a couple of frozen water bottles in the res, then each night swap them out, etc. I did that once in a bucket DWC set-up that I made, and it worked fine (though swapping out frozen water bottles every night gets old...). I know what you mean about space, though I'm really lucky to have a super supportive wife. She'd give me the whole basement if we didn't need it for other reasons. Since I just grow for me, I really don't need the space anyway, but boy would it be fun having more!! I like your dream house idea - I hope you get it someday!

Temps arnt much of an issue. It's gotten up to 104 outside and been 99+ everyday for weeks outside but I piped an AC vent directly from a lRge a large collector box in the attic so it's blowing the cold stuff right on top and and it exhaust the hot air from lights directly to a roof port through the ceiling. The temp in the closet has topped out at 81. And i have the a tracking thermometer that goes back like 24 abd i check it often so i know it hasnt risen ablove that. At that point it was 90 in the cab. Thats was the highest. Usually 75 to 83 in there. Iv read under 80 is best but mide after noon it usually breaks that slightly. No bad signs though. But iv started using super low ph'd popsicle cubes to lower the water temp to allow more DO and lower my ph and top off my res all at once. I read it somewhere. Not my idea. I wish I could remember who wrote to give proper credit. I scan sooo many journals when I get little ideas and start searching stuff.

So if I keep tying down the main stems now that they have started to flower, won't that give me more bud sites of smaller buds? If I have the room, and I think I do, wouldn't it be best to let them grow them straight up? I thought my window for producing viable yielding bud sites had past and tieing down at this point was for height? Im certainly not arguing with you or saying your wrong, I just want to get the logic straight in my head. But I've already used masking tape to to tape onto a leaf and pull it to the frame. Works really for LSting in pots too. I saw it on you tube. Again, idk where.

I started my pineapple express auto fenms from Barney's. I put them in 5.8ph RO water over night. Then spilled them all over the floor in the morning. Oops. Replaced them and recovered. Next day 6 of 9 popped so I placed them 1 inch rockwool cubes I had been soaking in water ph'd to 4. That way it will lower the ph of the cube. So iv read. Then drained that water from the cubes and it came out 5.6 after soaking over night. I placed the six in the cubes with sterile tweezers after widening the hole with a sterile nail. I lightly packed the wool around the opening. Placed in clone done ontop of box to keep warm in dark closet. Burnt an offering to the seeds Gods and crossed my fingers. Honestly I'm nervous about posting my strain at the same time your posting your same one. Not because of what anybody might think, Ivcertainly made no claims of greatness, but because I'll look at yours and be sad my don't look like that. But measuring yourself against the best is how to become the best. Not that this is a competition at all, but you know what I mean. Well, I guess technically we have turned it into one with bud of the month and all that... But that's besides the point! The point is I'm actually happy to be able to have real time example of what a pros looks like compared to mine. Diffrent set ups and all that but same strain. Is yours auto? I forget. So maybe not. Oh well.

Take care everyone! More pics today! (chores first )

Iv changed my ice routine a little the make it more accurate. I made a pitcher if exactly 5.6 water. The bottom of the range that BCNL recommends. I went a lilttle low but brought it back up by using plain RO. It can be tricky in such small amounts. Then I placed an airstone in the pitcher. Probably overkill I know. Then let that sit about 15 min, rechecked my ph, then poured it into large ice cube trays. Then I put 2ml of PH down (acid) into each cube. So when I add a cube I'm basically adding water that's already oxygenated and ph perfect. So all I really have to think about when I read what the ph is in the tank us the acid I'm putting in it. And I know it's exactly 2ml's. It usually takes 2mls to bring back from 6.3 or lower. And if I let it climb above 6.5 then it takes 4. Sometimes more right after I mix I fresh batch. But now I can accurately measure what I'm putting in to achieve my desired effect. And I still throw in the big ph balanced Popsicle cubes in the afternoon when things are a the hottest. I also place frozen water bottles in the flowering chamber.

Sounds like you've figured out some really clever ways to keep things where you want them. :welldone:

Well, you are correct about letting them grow straight up giving it some bigger buds up top. I miss growing a plant more traditionally for the reasons that I like that big fat cola up top. But, indoors it's nice to have as many budsites as possible exposed to ideal lighting if possible, imo. The goal becomes to create an even canopy, filled out horizontally as much as possible - this is the main purpose of screens like yours. I still do a lot of, if not most, training during flower. So if bending the tops sideways is possible, you'll get a smaller main cola up top, but much more bulk and tightness on the other budsites if done right. If you let the "top" or "tops" get too tall in relation to the other budsites, those buds will be smaller, fluffier and a bit less desirable overall as the bigger stuff up top will limit the light that gets to the other budsites.

Basically, use the horizontal space to your advantage to expose as many budsites as you can to unimpeded light. You'll get less "fluffy" bud, and more quality bud overall. To your point earlier, this would have been easier had you done more during veg, but it's not too late to make a difference still. The first 2 weeks of bloom especially, they are still "vegging" a lot, too.

I think it's good to experiment, too, to find out what you like and how you like to do it, but I wanted to share my take/perspective. You're doing great so far, truly!

I see what your saying xlr8. I have a pretty good spread right now as far opening up the very middle goes. And to be totally honest, I kinda want some "trophy" buds. Some big ones. I suppose how a first time hunter would want to take a buck with a nice rack as oppose to two does that would ultimately supply him with more meat, but no trophy on the wall. Thats a perfect analogy since I'm going to smoke the horns till they're all gone anyway, but you get the idea. I want some big colas from my four main stems.

I had another small crisis but unlike the others I didn't freak out. I simply searched through the pest and problems portion of this sight, found my problem, (nitrogen deficiency) and called the local hydro store sell me some nitro boost or something. He told NE to add some grow. So I did. I changed the resevoir the next day any way and used full strength nutes. I had been running 3/4 since I only had one in a resevoir for nine. But if it has a deficiency of anything, then I feel I should up it. Right?

Also six of my nine pineapple express have popped. Not real good numbers. I plan on refining my germ technique. Also I threw my mum outside. She just sucked. She grew soooo slow and akward. I picked a one. I bought the cheapest all in one bag they had from the hydro store, half off even for a busted bag (score) and the cheapest bottle of feed they had. I gave it all with the plant to my nieghbor down the street. I told him good luck and call me if something good ever comes off it. Its been topped twice so it has 8 main colas. And the strain is Big Bud so it should fill all 8. I did that to have 8 Mai clone sight to pull from, originally, not have 8 main buds, but now well see. Any recommendations as far as my next mum? I'm looking for quality over quantity, and shirt enough for my box. Like 48 inches. So 40 really. I don't want to hit the top. Ideas?

Back
Top Bottom