1st Time Grow - Flowergirl21's - White Widow - Bloombox - Hydro - Manifold Technique

Re: 1st Time Grow - Flowergirl21's - White Widow - Bloombox - Hydro - Manifold Techni

Day 52 of Flower

Well. I have not given up yet! I haven't been journaling because I have been figuring out and fighting all of the various things hitting Scarlett all at once.

Drain Flies

Although they are supposedly not hurting the plant...they are a nuisance at best, and they are/were breeding at the root level and in the rockwool (I think); which leads me to believe that they might have been harming the plant. My sticky traps revealed it was out of control (which I knew), and on top of all of this, I had a few fungus gnats flying about as well.

I am now an expert on cleaning Bloombox reservoirs. That is all I've been doing. That and spending money that I don't have on products to help battle my next issue.

Pythium

I thought I had it. I might have had it. I still could have it. My roots had always been a tan color because of the Plantacillin--which is supposed to prevent/fight the pythium. My reservoir never smelled bad. It always smelled pleasant--like growing things. The root mass, however, wasn't doing well anymore, and if I went a day without maintaining them, I would have hundreds of pupae from the drain flies caught up in them...well, pupae "shells" as they had molted and were flying around.

At one point in time at the beginning of this mess, I had done a reservoir change, and had treated with SOS but not Plantacillin. The next day, I had beautiful new roots coming out. Scarlett was smelling better, and she had started taking up nutes again, according to my readings.

The next reservoir change, I added the Plantacillin back into the mix, since I figured that it was compatible with the SOS, and why not add more beneficials to the party.

No.

I won't say that I will never use it again, but I think I might stick to a different beneficial bacteria. The new roots turned tan (just a color change), but I wish I hadn't used it because the whiteness of the new roots allowed me to tell at a glance that she was doing okay. It also seemed to cause more dead root "shedding" into the reservoir. That is what I thought was happening, because I would have brown particles on the bottom of the reservoir. It was almost as if the Plantacillin had come out of solution and had settled. But I use 5.8mL per 23 Litres or 6 Gallons of RO water. There was way too much brown stuff...but again, my system didn't smell.

My res temps have not been ideal either. I was running CO2, so my box temps were okay running a bit high. I thought it was okay for my res to be slightly higher as well. I don't think that anymore!

Interlude

These photos were taken a couple of weeks ago.

IMG_42555.jpg
IMG_42576.jpg
IMG_42605.jpg
IMG_42628.jpg
IMG_426311.jpg

When I first started having problems, I ditched the rockwool in the 8 other unused netpots. I replaced the netpots with red opaque plastic cups (think keg party) which fit perfectly. For the drip sticks, I poked a small hole through the cup, and it held the emitter in place while still allowing it to drain. I covered the top with the covers, but they wouldn't really stay in place. The cups were great because I could simply wash them and wipe them clean. They did, however, allow a sanguine light into the root area.

Around this time, I started running out of SOS, and I also wanted to get Hydroguard, since it came highly recommended. I also wanted to get diatomaceous earth--not for my res, but for the top of the rockwool. I can see the drain flies walking around there, so why not? I also wanted to get hydroton balls--I figured I could fill my cups with them and block out the light.

I went to a different Hydro store, as the one I normally go to was closed. The gentleman who owned the shop was very nice and helpful, and didn't mind me asking specific questions about cannabis. I only started because I overheard the conversation he was having with the previous customer. They were chatting about marijuana, so I figured I could explain my woes to see if he had any thoughts. He recommended Hygrozyme over the Hydroguard. They were both on the pricier side, which excluded me purchasing both. The Hygrozyme is actually pricier. He couldn't say enough great things about it though, so I went with it.

Just interspersing a long post with photos.

IMG_42696.JPG
IMG_42708.JPG
IMG_42742.jpg
IMG_42751.jpg
IMG_42765.jpg
IMG_42776.jpg
IMG_42795.jpg
IMG_42804.jpg
IMG_42834.jpg

When I got home that day, I was excited to try the Hygrozyme. I added it to the reservoir. The next morning, I checked Scarlett. She seemed okay...then I lifted the lid. Yuck. Cloudy brown water. The roots? Wow. Right up to the water line--brownish-blackish color. What??

I don't have any photos because I had to get to work immediately. I had to do more research, and I knew I should have gone with my gut and gotten the Hydroguard.

(Good news--diatomaceous earth seems to be helping keep the population down. The hydroton is a great medium--way less of a breeding ground for little pests! No more empty rockwool for me!)

Brown Algae

Possibly masquerading as pythium...also, from some of the articles I read, this "brown slime algae" doesn't need light to grow, loves oxygen, and it doesn't care about res temps. Great. Anyway, after reading quite a bit on the subject, I realized I most likely have some form of this. Apparently, things like Hygrozyme and things like Super B+ are just food for the algae. Using them definitely caused an "algae bloom." I went back to my usual store and picked up H2O2 and Hydroguard. I've basically drained, cleaned, rinsed, and refilled every day since 8/14. And before then, a couple of times each week. So, once again, I thoroughly cleaned my entire system and let the airstones run in some strong peroxide and water. I rinsed and dried, and then added ONLY Flower and Common for nutes, along with CalMag and the Hydro guard. This was perfect, and it helped Scarlett put out even more new roots. Oh yeah, side note, I also removed the dead root mass. It was just a breeding ground for all of the nasties.

A few days ago...maybe more:

IMG_42927.JPG
IMG_42956.JPG
IMG_42988.JPG
IMG_431011.JPG
IMG_43196.JPG
IMG_43205.JPG
IMG_43217.JPG

IMG_43244.JPG

Flush

I changed the res last night, and since Scarlett was doing well, I added the Super B+ back in, as well as two other additives. This morning--same thing, but to a lesser extent. Brownish slimy roots, and the bottom of my res had a brown coating on it. Another cleaning, and I figured it was time to flush.

I have been keeping a close eye on the trichs--I don't have a camera, and I misplaced my lens, but I have a handheld magnifying scope, and right now the trichs are mostly cloudy. The calyxes are also swelling, and I think after a week or so, I can chop. It might happen sooner--ideally I can get this done next Sunday. If I need to though, I'll chop early.

I added Final Phase to RO water and pH'd it. It's circulating now.

Today's photos:

IMG_43296.JPG
IMG_43305.JPG
IMG_43318.JPG
IMG_43324.JPG

I have some desiccant in the flowering chamber to drop the humidity, and hopefully I'll be able to do a 24 or 48 hour period of complete darkness before harvesting.

IMG_43284.JPG

Once I harvest, the Bloombox is getting a major cleaning and drying out period. I will not start the new plants in the flowering side until I know the drain flies are gone.

Winter can't get here fast enough.

Re: 1st Time Grow - Flowergirl21's - White Widow - Bloombox - Hydro - Manifold Techni

hydroguard works great started using it after I ran out of auquashield
roots look much better than the aquashield and I never have 69 degree res temps
if im lucky at night during winter on a real cold night it may reach there
but normally im in the 70's easy
this week ran from 76-78 f in the res
roots look fine

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

The Beginning of the End This all happened more than a month ago. Sorry! I definitely needed to take a break from all things cannabis related (except for drying and curing) after I finished. That included updating this journal! But here is the final chapter for anyone still interested. :cheesygrinsmiley:

IMG_43296.JPG

So the drain flies finally made me cut this grow short...Basically, even though the drain flies weren't necessarily hurting the grow, they sure weren't helping it. Also, if I didn't keep up with straining the larvae and killing adults, the situation would quickly get out of control again.

I did manage to get the algae/root rot under control. I just had to run a system without beneficials like plantacillin and hygrozme. When I used regular nutes plus the Hydroguard, I had success.

IMG_43305.JPG
IMG_43318.JPG
IMG_43324.JPG

So, when to harvest? I did the 36 hour of darkness thing. Did it help? I don't know because I have no control to compare it to. Also, reflecting back on it, I should have skipped the darkness thing for this time. Then, on the second run, I could reference the timing for harvesting this first grow.

IMG_43396.JPG
IMG_43409.JPG

I harvested too early--I have accepted that and still, knowing what I know now, I probably would have made the same decision. The roots finally started to come back--nice, white, and healthy. The buds had some amber trichs and cloudy ones. Some were still clear. I had orange/brown pistils, but I also started getting a fresh wave of white pistils.

Before the Chop

IMG_43417.JPG

Branches

IMG_43447.JPG

Manifold Frame

IMG_43456.JPG

With all of the premature yellowing of my leaves and the fact that all of my large fan leaves had already fallen off, I was extremely concerned that Scarlett wouldn't have enough nutes to keep her going all of the way. I also had to make a choice about when to chop because of the flushing agent I used. Final Phase--worked GREAT by the way. The first grow is so ridiculous. You can read all you want, but at the end of the day it's specific to your plant and your grow. I feel like giving my pre-grow self a pinch for being so confident about being able to grow amazing weed. :laughtwo:

Hanging

Drip drying in the bathroom.

IMG_43464.JPG

In the box, pre-trim. Just had to get them in quickly because it was so smelly. I have an Ona block that I had outside of my apartment. I was doing this during the day and not in the middle of the night like I had wanted to.

IMG_43479.JPG

Although my system came with a dryer, I had such a small amount that I wanted to do it right and hang upside down. I was very proud of myself for coming up with this solution. Inside the box so that carbon filter could still do its thing. I washed the buds--I don't know if my water was too hot though. I did three buckets--one filled with room temp water with lemon juice and baking soda. The second, hot water. The third, cold RO water.

The smell of harvesting was intense. Mind you, Scarlett's smell had lessened during the infestation period. Maybe my carbon filter is just really good, but I thought the smell was muted. I cut, weighed, and then washed in my bathroom. The smell actually started giving me a headache--it was that strong.

Random Close Ups

IMG_43497.jpg
IMG_43502.jpg
IMG_43515.jpg
IMG_43522.jpg

After Trimming

I dried for five days. The smaller stems snapped, and the bigger ones bent.

IMG_43534.JPG

Jars

IMG_43604.JPG

For some reason, even though I'm well past the two week curing mark, my weed doesn't smell very dank. If you touch the buds or when you break them up to smoke, they smell very much, but if you open the jars, it's not super strong. I thought it would develop as I cured it, but so far it has only improved a small bit. I'm just now hitting the 65% mark, and I am keeping the jars closed for more than one or two days in a row.

Anyway, my final yield was just under 3 ounces. I weighed them when I jarred them up, but I can't remember the exact number. I definitely kept smoking the small buds right away so I could experience it at different stages of drying and curing. I finally weighed it all again today, and I was right at 72 grams. This is after me smoking a little of it every day.

System Reset

IMG_43735.JPG

Two Surviving Clones

IMG_43743.JPG

The left is Willow's clone and the right is Scarlett's. They are both in the flowering side now, but still in veg under a metal halide bulb. I want their roots to develop a bit more--Scarlett 2.0 is ready to go, but Willow 2.0 is lagging in root development. One more week of veg, and I'll start flowering no matter what.

Smoke Report

I have never been a hardcore, everyday smoker. I've gone through phases of smoking more, and phases of completely stopping. I can't get enough of this stuff though.

I am a lightweight, and this gets me high...but not a couch locked high. It's a fun, relaxing, I-can-still-function-as-a-human-being high. The high doesn't hit right away...it kind of creeps up on you. If I smoke two small bowls, I am high enough that it takes me double the time to leave my apartment. Where are my keys? Oh, here they are. Now let me just get my shoes on. Where are my keys? I just had them...where did they go?

The smoke is smooth as silk, and has that beautiful sweet smell that I love. The ash burns cleanly to white. I have a slight case of asthma, and this weed doesn't trigger it. Even after a couple of bowls. Believe me, this doesn't happen with the stuff I buy. Ever.

My boyfriend is a much heavier smoker than I am, and he enjoys it, but he says it's only a light high for him. But he agrees that it's an uplifting and fun high.

I am loving smoking my own stuff, and I am finally looking forward to finishing up my second grow with the clones. I'm not doing anything to them aside from super cropping them. I took some cuttings for clones from each of them, but if my clones don't take, then I'll be sprouting another seed, and I'll try fluxing next.

No journal for my next grow, but I'll be around. Thank you for all of your support! I love this community, and I'm hoping my next grow goes more smoothly. Hopefully I will get a nug worthy of a contest.

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

Glad to hear you got a nice smoke out of it.:thumb:

And here's to smoother sailing next time.....and the time after that....and.....

Yes! Thank you. I am looking forward to the cooler weather and waaaay less problems!

Many many many congrats :) :) :)
Its the best feeling that 1st crop of your own!!! Bravo :)

Definitely proud of it! Thank you, and thank you again for all of your help and generosity. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Congrats.also

When are you going again? :)

I'm in the process now--I have two of my surviving clones in flower. Still having small issues with drain flies and big ones with algae. I might have found a solution though! Turns out, some light is getting into my reservoir--I just bought some light blocking material (they use it for drapes), and I'm going to figure out a way to make it work.

I tried to take more clones but failed. I didn't use the same method as my successful one; I just wanted to see if a really low-tech way would work. So, I'm going to plant one more seed. My boyfriend wants me to manifold again, but I want to try fluxing!

Interesting concept the bloombox. Wonder what software it runs.

Subbed. Go Sista! .

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Subbed. Go Sista! .

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

This journal is finished. You can find more in journals in progress. Cheers! :love: :cheer:

Back
Top Bottom