1st Time Grow - Flowergirl21's - White Widow - Bloombox - Hydro - Manifold Technique

Re: 1st Time Grow - Flowergirl21's - White Widow - Bloombox - Hydro - Manifold Techni

Thanks for the welcome, I am new to this so this may be ridiculous, but if rockwool is affecting ph, could jiffy peat pellets help because they shouldnt need any solution added in the beginning, obviously I have NO idea if that is appropriate for your grow or future grows, but may be worth checking out, but I am sure the guys on here can tell you how best to sort things out.

I super admire the living soil guys too and hope to get there one day myself, but for now its a nice simple Autopot system, as for smell I went carbon filter with a plug in little kitchen ozone generator which seems to be doing a decent job.

Do you mean try jiffy peat pellets for cloning?

I just looked up Autopots, and they look cool--I especially like that they use gravity instead of electricity.

Also, I should have said that the room that my cabinet is in smells of green. The house doesn't smell at all. I am admittedly a bit nervous about flowering, but the unit comes with a carbon filter and it's a pretty tightly sealed box. I've decided to go with the CO2, and I just need to get a tank. The unit came with a regulator, hook-up, and a programmed timer for the CO2. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Re: 1st Time Grow - Flowergirl21's - White Widow - Bloombox - Hydro - Manifold Techni

Same here. They probably get the most involved in the growing experience and I enjoy learning about nature so I suspect I'd enjoy making my own man-made version of it to grow selectively bred plants in.

Certainly sounds a bit more involved than switching from a bottle that says grow on it to a bottle that says bloom once a run :)

Kushtie, are you reading Sweetsue's journals? I'm in the middle of her first one, and it is such a satisfying read. I almost wish I had read her stuff before splurging on the Bloombox. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the challenges of hydro, but her LOS grow is making me rethink my future plans for sure!

Sweetsue's First Grow

plants look good. when you do try again. look me up if you think about it. im sure i can tellya how and they live. when i do mine i usually get 3-4 out of 5 stems.

I will take you up on that offer! I am very bummed that I couldn't successfully clone on my first tries. I think part of the problem is that the reservoir is totally geared toward vegetation, and thus, high in Nitrogen. For cloning, I've read that you want to almost flush your plants before taking them. I did not do this.

Also, I might have rushed things when I was cloning. I kept taking cuttings that were fairly small in nodes and stems. Maybe I just need to be more patient!

Looks Healthy :thumb:

Thanks! I'm glad, Cronic! This is a lot of fun, and I'm glad I have the support from this site.

Kushtie, are you reading Sweetsue's journals? I'm in the middle of her first one, and it is such a satisfying read. I almost wish I had read her stuff before splurging on the Bloombox. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the challenges of hydro, but her LOS grow is making me rethink my future plans for sure!

Sweetsue's First Grow

Aye, I've been in there and am a fan of Sue's work too. I barely have the space for hydro so I'll probably sticking with that for now but one day I look forward to putting my energies into LOS. I'm just trying to pick up odd wee snippets of information until then.

Hydro is fun too....seems good for exploding balls of green! :)

Yes jiffy pellets and rooting powder that's what I am trying as a makeshift experiment right now with my OG Kush and Damn Sour, I am totally prepared for it to go horribly wrong but nothing ventured etc.

Also I totally love my 4 little Autopots it's super simple

Well, it's been far too long! I finally was able to catch up on all of the tasks I needed to do. I missed a reservoir change, but I was topping it off periodically.

Part of the issue was my tomato plant got BIG! I transplanted it to soil--netpot, rockwool, and all. I did this on Thursday. Too soon to tell how she'll take it--I am pretty sure I should have done it sooner. Her roots were out of control heavy, and it was quite a feat to actually get her out of the hydro tub.

I did a defoliation last week (I think it was the 4th):

IMG_38425.JPG
IMG_38438.JPG

Today I moved Willow to the hydro pot. I broke up the coco coir brick, which, I'm not going to lie, was extremely difficult to do with just my hands. That crap is dense. I finally made some headway when I just started pouring distilled water on it to try to loosen it up. Woof. Anyway, Willow looks amazing, and she is actually ready to give clones if I wanted. (*more on that later) Again, I planted her in there, netpot, rockwool, and all. Again, I probably should have done it sooner--there was no way I would be able to separate her roots from the netpot without damaging them.

IMG_38859.jpg

This leaves the entire Hydro12 tub all to Scarlett. I'm very glad I moved her to the center of the tub when I did. Next up on the to do list is to get her into the other side, but now that I've seen her development, I think I'll cancel the veg time with the MH bulb, and just move her once I switch to flowering. She has vertical growth on her final 8 mains, and I will be switching to flowering sooner than I thought.

Sidenote, BCNL has NOT gotten back to me yet, and I intend to call them again. Regardless of that outcome, I shall be going forward with flowering even if the CFL bulb dims when I run that side. I have no choice, really, and the only plant that will be under that light is Willow. I am holding off on taking clones because of my terrible news that I received this week. *My landlords are not renewing my lease. It has nothing to do with me as a tenant, don't worry; they don't know about my garden! However, I must move, and the timing really could not be any worse. It's a good thing I'm mobile--sort of. I haven't worked out the logistics yet, but I have a few ideas. The worst part is that I feel like I should hold off on the clones because the less plants to move the better, in my eyes, but that means I'm delayed for my next harvest cycle. Grrrrr. Maybe I should just at least try with the clones.

So, that happened. I'm trying to stay positive--there will be many benefits to moving. I will not be moving into an owner occupied building, that's for sure!

This always cheers me up. Here are some more photos of Scarlett:

IMG_38865.jpg
IMG_38888.JPG

She's a little uneven in terms of flat canopy. I don't know if I should super crop now, or if I should wait to see some more vertical growth before HST like that. Any thoughts?

The gang, all together:

IMG_38846.jpg

Reservoir Change

Week 7 (90 Days from Sprout)

Cal/Mag-15mL
Grow (1-2-5)-30mL
Common (2-0-0)-30mL
Veg Boom (1-1-2)-11mL
Super B+ (0-2-1)-23mL
Plantacillin (1-0-0)-3mL
Royal Gold (0-1-0)-23 mL
Prop-O-Gator (0-3-2)-0mL
ppm-1240
pH-5.0

no my heater stays in one place also , just dont let it get to low :)

just like this , i added a couple of other clones and 2 buds just to see if they root lol

P10609641.JPG
P1060965.JPG
P1060966.JPG

Not sure if this has been mentioned (quickly skimming through to catch up), but the heater needs to be totally submerged ie stuck to the bottom if its a fish tank one, otherwise its at risk of cracking and could cause serious problems or electrocution, apart from that this system looks fantastic!

Also my jiffy pellet and rooting powder experiment seems to be failing spectacularly, so off to my trusted grow shop to get some proper cloning products and looking into using TheNuttyProfessor home build heated tank system.

Your plants are looking great flowergirl.

Not sure if this has been mentioned (quickly skimming through to catch up), but the heater needs to be totally submerged ie stuck to the bottom if its a fish tank one, otherwise its at risk of cracking and could cause serious problems or electrocution, apart from that this system looks fantastic!

yes i did then say i stuck it to the bottom and got better results :) didn t know i could put it all under water lol... i dont read boxes or instructions for a couple of weeks .... a man thing :)

Haha! at least you got it submerged in the end :thumb:. how is the system working out Nutty Professor, are the rooted clones going strong? I really want this system to be good because I want to try it out too

Excellent! is it a method you would use again, or do you prefer another way? over all how happy with that system were you?

try a dyi bubble cloner they work great

Hydro 9 Tub--Flowering Side

Set up with a 400Watt MH bulb for extended vegetation. The new reservoir takes double the capacity, so I mixed up another 11 litres and added it. The ppm for the addition was 1190.

IMG_38908.JPG

Bulb

IMG_38959.JPG

Scarlett, chilling in her new digs

IMG_38947.JPG

T-5 lights set up. I haven't plugged them in yet because Scarlett is a bit too short.

IMG_38969.JPG

8 Mains. Canopy is pretty flat. I'm continually LST'ing to make sure it stays even.

IMG_38976.jpg

Across

IMG_38987.jpg

Vertical

IMG_38996.jpg

Each of the new mains have at least 2 nodes on them. I will be defoliating before switching to flower.

Sweet new setup Scarlett!! My Charlotte might get jealous!!

Haha! I might believe that if I haven't been following your journal. :;):

Also, important question for you--how did you decide when to flip to flowering?

Back
Top Bottom