1st Time Grow - Flowergirl21's - White Widow - Bloombox - Hydro - Manifold Technique

Re: 1st Time Grow - Flowergirl21's - White Widow - Bloombox - Hydro - Manifold Techni

Yeah...my second set of clones died. I soaked the rockwool in a light nutrient solution--but next time I'm using ONLY plain, pH'd water.

I'm seriously tempted to skip everything, and just cut and plop in a glass of water. I'm holding off on more cloning until I can cut larger pieces. Maybe third time will be the charm. Sigh.

Re: 1st Time Grow - Flowergirl21's - White Widow - Bloombox - Hydro - Manifold Techni

Do you want your pH that low? I'm new to this stuff but I thought we should be aiming for 5.8.

Hi Kushtie! Yes, I purposely aim for 5.0-5.1 for my initial pH on a new reservoir. There is a method for my madness; after adding all of the nutrients, the pH is around 4.0-4.5. I add pH Up, but I found when I start at 5.8, the rockwool causes it to drift upwards, and soon I'm adding pH Down everyday to try to get it back to 5.8. By doing it this way, the pH gently drifts up, and I get all of the benefits of each level of pH. The last time I checked pH before I changed the reservoir, it was at 5.9. That means in a week, the pH basically drifted to its optimal level, and then stayed in that range without me ever having to add pH Down. Scarlett has been responding well to this method, so I'm inclined to keep doing it. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Hi Kushtie! Yes, I purposely aim for 5.0-5.1 for my initial pH on a new reservoir. There is a method for my madness; after adding all of the nutrients, the pH is around 4.0-4.5. I add pH Up, but I found when I start at 5.8, the rockwool causes it to drift upwards, and soon I'm adding pH Down everyday to try to get it back to 5.8. By doing it this way, the pH gently drifts up, and I get all of the benefits of each level of pH. The last time I checked pH before I changed the reservoir, it was at 5.9. That means in a week, the pH basically drifted to its optimal level, and then stayed in that range without me ever having to add pH Down. Scarlett has been responding well to this method, so I'm inclined to keep doing it. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Not sure what rockwool you are using but I'd suggest it's your plants using nutrients and causing the pH to rise.

See here - Soaking GRODAN to proper Ph for growing | Grodan 101

And note the bit about the medium starting to dissolve at 5.0 too.

Yeah...my second set of clones died. I soaked the rockwool in a light nutrient solution--but next time I'm using ONLY plain, pH'd water.

I'm seriously tempted to skip everything, and just cut and plop in a glass of water. I'm holding off on more cloning until I can cut larger pieces. Maybe third time will be the charm. Sigh.

those clones i cut where very weak also, they came off my out side plants that are stunted and having a hard time , maybe thats part of why they didnt really work , one rooted out of the 4 .. bigger clones are better ive read :)

you could use a bit of hormex its a rooting solution add it to the water

Just stumbled across this journal, best. first. grow journal. EVER! its like the hollywood movie blockbuster version of a first ever new grower journal, super impressed!!

Bloombox seems such a great contained unit for stealth, ok the guys with the know how could do this cheaper etc, but when I googled this my eyes almost popped out of my head with lust!

I went for the same nutes as you for my first grow, so I am hoping you are pleased with your choice, so far they are doing the job for me, but I want to add ton o bud and get some carbo blast too which I see you have so I hope its worth the extra cost.

more roots , 3 out of 4 :) , i pulled the buds out and smoked them yummy lol :) :)

P10609971.JPG
P10700072.JPG
P10700082.JPG
P10700092.JPG

Not sure what rockwool you are using but I'd suggest it's your plants using nutrients and causing the pH to rise.

See here - Soaking GRODAN to proper Ph for growing | Grodan 101

And note the bit about the medium starting to dissolve at 5.0 too.

I've soaked my rockwook cubes in water pH'd to 5.5, and when I test it again after the rockwool has soaked, the pH goes up. I've admittedly not rinsed the cubes, but I'm going to try an experiment soon:

I'll pH water to 5.5 and soak two equal pieces of rockwool. Later, I'll rinse one, shake the other one, and pop them into separate containers with fresh pH'd water. See if the rockwool does cause a drift.

you could use a bit of hormex its a rooting solution add it to the water

I'm willing to try it! Another trip to the hydro store...:cheesygrinsmiley:

Just stumbled across this journal, best. first. grow journal. EVER! its like the hollywood movie blockbuster version of a first ever new grower journal, super impressed!!

Bloombox seems such a great contained unit for stealth, ok the guys with the know how could do this cheaper etc, but when I googled this my eyes almost popped out of my head with lust!

I went for the same nutes as you for my first grow, so I am hoping you are pleased with your choice, so far they are doing the job for me, but I want to add ton o bud and get some carbo blast too which I see you have so I hope its worth the extra cost.

First, welcome, Arcanum and thank you! I'm enjoying my first grow--I am learning a ton, and I couldn't do it without this site!!

Right now with just the veg side running, when I come home, I'm greeted with the slight, but pleasant smell of green things growing. Very faint. Once I start flowering, I'll have the carbon filter on, and we'll see how stealthy it is.

As of right now, I am very happy with the nutes. I went with the Bloombox Royale package, so I have quite a bit of nutrients. Once I'm in the position to have to buy more, I might give the LOS (living organic soil) approach a try. I have been reading Sweetsue's journals, and I am quite impressed with her grows! Plus, I already have a worm farm and a bunny who poops out perfect fertilizer...and in LARGE quantities.

Thanks for the welcome, I am new to this so this may be ridiculous, but if rockwool is affecting ph, could jiffy peat pellets help because they shouldnt need any solution added in the beginning, obviously I have NO idea if that is appropriate for your grow or future grows, but may be worth checking out, but I am sure the guys on here can tell you how best to sort things out.

I super admire the living soil guys too and hope to get there one day myself, but for now its a nice simple Autopot system, as for smell I went carbon filter with a plug in little kitchen ozone generator which seems to be doing a decent job.

I super admire the living soil guys too....

Same here. They probably get the most involved in the growing experience and I enjoy learning about nature so I suspect I'd enjoy making my own man-made version of it to grow selectively bred plants in.

Certainly sounds a bit more involved than switching from a bottle that says grow on it to a bottle that says bloom once a run :)

flower you still having issues with clones.

do you use supper thive. if not get it. clones will do so much better with it.

flower you still having issues with clones.

Yep. I've given up on getting a clone from Scarlett--I just topped her for 8 mains, and I won't have an opportunity. I'll try again with Willow, or I'll plant the remaining two seeds and try with them. I'll try super thrive...I'll try anything. Lol.

Scarlett with 4 mains

IMG_38386.jpg

Before shot with my tomato plant in the background.

IMG_38396.jpg

Willow--it's hard to believe she was so fragile at one point. Her root system is still developing, but in the next week or so, I think I'll plant her in the coco coir pot and have her be a mother for now...if I plant the tomato plant outside, that will free up my hydro tub to become a power cloner.

IMG_384012.jpg

Scarlett, 8 new mains and LST'd. In a few days I'll remove the rest of the growth except the fan leaves powering the mains.

IMG_38417.jpg

I'm very excited that I've reached the end of mainlining. I just have to grow her out a bit, remove some growth, and then switch to flowering. Wow. I can hardly believe it.

plants look good. when you do try again. look me up if you think about it. im sure i can tellya how and they live. when i do mine i usually get 3-4 out of 5 stems.

Looks Healthy :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom