Fox Farm's Ocean Forest Potting Soil

Harry Lyme

By far the most expensive potting stuff my yard and garden store sells at $16.95 for one and a half cub. ft. I'm sifting thru a sample quart of it and what it looks like to me is ground up wood..I don't see any actual soil in it. To me, soil means dirt; earth, as in river bottom dirt. What i did come across is bits of asphalt shingles which makes me think it might be ground up old demolished houses. I didn't find any nails in it....

Not a joke at all. One time i hurt my back and an Laotian friend got me a potion from a Chinese druggist in Chinatown in Chicago. You brewed this up into a tea. It consisted of unknown seeds and broken up old asphalt shingles. It seemed to help..... So I can say, it doesn't kill you.....

The integrity of ff ocean forrest has dropped over the years but its still a good soil. I'm gonna go open a new bag i bought last week and look at it close and see . I seem to like happy frog better but i got ocean this time to see if i can tell a big difference. Also i don't use ff soils without a good amount lime in them . After i started using the lime all ph issues/nute burns are non existent .

Fox Farms is what it is. I think it's way too expensive but that's just my opinion. Ok i'm a hill-billy and i know good soil when i see it. It's dirt, black alluvial dirt. It takes hundreds if not thousands of years to create good black soil which is made up of rotted vegitable material combined with sand and small pebbles. That's why flat farm ground goes for $7500 an acre and sloping ground goes for $500 an acre because the good black dirt has been washed down to Louisianna. You can actually grow crops on this washed out marginal farm ground and many farmers do it but it's going to take more fertilizer and good rain, and then the grace of God....

The integrity of ff ocean forrest has dropped over the years but its still a good soil. I'm gonna go open a new bag i bought last week and look at it close and see . I seem to like happy frog better but i got ocean this time to see if i can tell a big difference. Also i don't use ff soils without a good amount lime in them . After i started using the lime all ph issues/nute burns are non existent .

How much lime do you use and how do you apply it?

I just opened a new bag of FFOF I've had sitting around and it looks great ( normal ). I will be using it again. I'm good with Fox farm

I opened my bag and it was fine . I forgot to say i add a full bag of perlite to a whole bag of fox farm also.

i just mix the lime and perlite in layers then mix it all together. Not sure of the actual measurements i have done it 3 or 4 different ways. I tried to put too much in last time to see if it made a problem but i had no issues . I know for a fact u can over do it . an estimate would be about 8 solo cups of lime to a whole bag of soil + perlite .

We don't have Fox Farms here in EU... I assume there are restrictions regarding the sale of soil over international borders and customs... for agricultural protection reasons.

BioBizz All Mix is about 17 euro (16 bucks) for a 50 liter bag (1.5 cubic feet is about 43 liters) and is some AMAZING quality stuff in my opinion.

I see it on American Amazon so it must be available to you guys right? Same price, GREAT soil, made in the NL, and pretty much DESIGNED to grow Cannabis in. I also mix in perlite at 70/30 approximate ratio despite the mix already containing a bit.

I would be curious to see it held up next to FF though... maybe there is a youtube vid somewhere on that.

I hope Fox Farms is good quality because that's what i've bought. It is after all, a manufactured product and these seem to go down in quality over years. I.E. a snickers bar isn't as good as it was thirty yrs. ago but it costs ten times as much. It's all relative.... I do agree you could mix in probably 50% filler like perlite and it would be ok...

I opened my bag and it was fine . I forgot to say i add a full bag of perlite to a whole bag of fox farm also.

i just mix the lime and perlite in layers then mix it all together. Not sure of the actual measurements i have done it 3 or 4 different ways. I tried to put too much in last time to see if it made a problem but i had no issues . I know for a fact u can over do it . an estimate would be about 8 solo cups of lime to a whole bag of soil + perlite .

Thank you for this comment. I honestly had no idea about using lime. Gonna try this out.

Back
Top Bottom