Fresh Harvest Infused Cannabis Oil

Well after reading I can see that decarb will happen at low temp but take longer to get to where it's needed. Aft all the bubbles have stopped I broke it's done. It's been about 4 hours. My other batch from yesterday is very nice. Such a new feeling to me ..

Well after reading I can see that decarb will happen at low temp but take longer to get to where it's needed. Aft all the bubbles have stopped I broke it's done. It's been about 4 hours. My other batch from yesterday is very nice. Such a new feeling to me ..

Did you decarb yesterday's batch Marc? It's not ruined, just needing more time to decarb.

Had some fun today with a run of FHO.

IMG_070057.JPG

100 grams wet buds blended into 125 ml of EVOO.

IMG_071559.JPG

This is a small batch, so I'll do my best to keep it flat and below the surface of the oil, once things begin to break down.

IMG_071756.JPG

The Dutch oven is all set up with spacers to keep the stock pot off the bottom.

IMG_071844.JPG

After the vegetable oil is added be careful to burp everything by lifting the stock pot here and there. You don't want these bubbles surfacing when the oil is hot.

IMG_072045.JPG

Starting temps.

IMG_072250.JPG

Fifteen minutes in it's sizzling.

IMG_072350.JPG

I have a trivet on the back burner with a couple layers of paper towels in case the temperature spikes and I need to lift the pot out of the oil bath for a few minutes.

IMG_072550.JPG

Almost there. I'm watching for 212 F to set the timer for two hours.

IMG_072657.JPG

Timer's on.

IMG_072749.JPG

It took no time at all before the water boiled out of this small batch. There was no foaming.

IMG_072855.JPG

At one hour and fifteen minutes from when I started (not from when the timer started) the water is all boiled out and the oil begins to show active signs of decarbing. :slide:

IMG_073257.JPG

The bubbles are so tiny they can be almost imperceptible.

I personally try to keep it around 230-235 for the rest of the time.

IMG_073354.JPG

Hot spots arise, so I've begun a practice of turning the pot a quarter of the way and then stir and mash. Next time I stir I'll turn another bit first.

IMG_073445.JPG

IMG_073548.JPG

Starting the second timed hour I begin an almost constant mashing. I'm determined to get all of the trichomes open. :laughtwo:

IMG_073641.JPG

I'm careful when I'm stirring that I clear all the oil from the outside and get it to the inside. The outside ring is the hottest place in the pot, and I don't want any oil sitting here for very long.

IMG_073758.JPG

IMG_073847.JPG

After an hour and fourty-five minutes from the start of the timer the oil is completely decarbed.

IMG_073955.JPG

I'm trying Randy's gravity feed method.

IMG_074057.JPG

IMG_074145.JPG

IMG_074454.JPG

I don't need to be in here for now, so I turned the lights out to let it drain a while longer. I'll press out what I can, add the lecithin and get it refrigerated. I won't try to get every bit out of the mash, because I plan to eat the mash myself.

IMG_074639.JPG

Leave no cannabinoid behind. :cheesygrinsmiley:

IMG_074543.JPG

It makes for a long 12- hour day, with everything else involved in a harvest. Thank God for Carnival. :laughtwo:

This time I did something I think I'll make a regular practice. I harvested and washed the buds and then went to do Callanetics while the branches hung to drip dry. Taking that time to work my body meant that my hips and back didn't suffer much at all during the long hours over the pot.

I love what we do. :yahoo:

Did you decarb yesterday's batch Marc? It's not ruined, just needing more time to decarb.

I believe so, I think I'm letting the temps confuse me. Because the pan temps can range and the surface temps range as well. I believe I may need to decarb again. This process if very difficult and time consuming. Once I get it down I'll be good, can get a little frustrating. Yes, two days in the kitchen, both 11 hours days. I was beat plus I had lost of work to to in the gardens. Really need to update the journal soon.

Thanks for all your help Susan, gonna try the new batch this morning and see how it pans out for me lol
420-magazine-mobile661643449.jpg

I believe so, I think I'm letting the temps confuse me. Because the pan temps can range and the surface temps range as well. I believe I may need to decarb again. This process if very difficult and time consuming. Once I get it down I'll be good, can get a little frustrating. Yes, two days in the kitchen, both 11 hours days. I was beat plus I had lost of work to to in the gardens. Really need to update the journal soon.

Thanks for all your help Susan, gonna try the new batch this morning and see how it pans out for me lol
420-magazine-mobile661643449.jpg

Those are really long days.
:slide: on the other hand :slide:

That's a really good sized batch of Fresh Harvest Oil.

Unfortunately it wasn't decarbed long enough .

It won't take as long to finish decarbing.

I ended up with just over 50 ml of FHO (started with 125 ml) from my CBD Critical Cure. I kept all of the mash and I've been eating it every morning, and sometimes in the afternoon for a snack.

IMG_074858.JPG

This was a small batch by design. I have oil left from my last harvest and another plant about 20 days from harvest herself, so I could afford to play with some drying techniques.

I think I've screwed it all up Sue. I have consumed up to 3 ml at at time and even taken it a few times, nothing. Maybe once I thought I was getting something but then I don't know. Maybe I'm exactly exiting to much and I'm psyching myself out

I think I've screwed it all up Sue. I have consumed up to 3 ml at at time and even taken it a few times, nothing. Maybe once I thought I was getting something but then I don't know. Maybe I'm exactly exiting to much and I'm psyching myself out

I doubt you screwed it up. It's just a new process Mag7. What did you do to finish the decarb? What strain did you use? In particular, what's the ratio of THC to CBD? Worst case scenario is you have an oil with medicinal value that has low THC values. There's so much more in these oils than just the ability to get high, although I don't diminish the value of that particular benefit.

I doubt you screwed it up. It's just a new process Mag7. What did you do to finish the decarb? What strain did you use? In particular, what's the ratio of THC to CBD? Worst case scenario is you have an oil with medicinal value that has low THC values. There's so much more in these oils than just the ability to get high, although I don't diminish the value of that particular benefit.

Sue, I believe that I have some really good medication. I used two strains I had. Purple Peyote/Indica and Panama/Sativa. Both by Ace and each at 100% strain. The PP oil is a knockout for bedtime. My buddy trotted one small #3 capsule and slept through his alarm. The Panama I don't know about yet.

I let a friend hit my 2.5 wk cured Peyote purple and he literally pass out for about 30 seconds he was so high. I'm not lying when we were worried for a a second and then he came to and said he was fine. I know it's good cannabis, I also believe my meds are blocking something. I hit the bing 4-5 times and barely catch a buzz and then if i smoke something not from my garden I get a dirty head high.

So right now I'm just trying to figure out what is good and what's not. Because I can't tell I have to have my buds tell me what's going on. I think it's low thc in the oil due to over decarb. I could be wrong but I'd bet on it.

Hi Mag7,
I doubt you over decarbed to the point of losing that much THC. If you had you'd pass out from all the CBN and have a terrible hangover. I had a batch I left over burner I thought was off. It got over 300 degrees before I got back to it at least half hour later, probably more. It had too much CBN to use for medicine but still got me high when I tested it.

More likely a combination of things. Possibly low extraction, underdecarb (yes, even 4 hours at low temps may not have converted all of it, and THCa can interfere with effects of THC), and/or high tolerance due to clogged receptors. Also it's a different high from smoking. Like Sue said the oil still has medicinal benefits even if you don't feel high, so hang on to this batch.
*Have some mango and green tea to clean your receptors. Then try the oil again.
*Heat a small amount of the oil to 245 to check for bubbles. You may need to decarb more than you thought.

Hi Mag7,
I doubt you over decarbed to the point of losing that much THC. If you had you'd pass out from all the CBN and have a terrible hangover. I had a batch I left over burner I thought was off. It got over 300 degrees before I got back to it at least half hour later, probably more. It had too much CBN to use for medicine but still got me high when I tested it.

More likely a combination of things. Possibly low extraction, underdecarb (yes, even 4 hours at low temps may not have converted all of it, and THCa can interfere with effects of THC), and/or high tolerance due to clogged receptors. Also it's a different high from smoking. Like Sue said the oil still has medicinal benefits even if you don't feel high, so hang on to this batch.
*Have some mango and green tea to clean your receptors. Then try the oil again.
*Heat a small amount of the oil to 245 to check for bubbles. You may need to decarb more than you thought.

Ok so with low extraction, can I put the canna back in and do it again? I didn't mash it only let heat and stir. I have the leftovers stored just in case this happened

Well I through it all back in and tried once more to decarb. At about 250 it started to slowly bubble up. So I let this happen for about 50 min and took it off. I tried 1 ml and slept great but still no high. Going to experiment with dosing today and see what happens. But at this point I'm still a little disappointed in my results.

Well I through it all back in and tried once more to decarb. At about 250 it started to slowly bubble up. So I let this happen for about 50 min and took it off. I tried 1 ml and slept great but still no high. Going to experiment with dosing today and see what happens. But at this point I'm still a little disappointed in my results.

You're using the lecithin? I'll be watching to see how it goes. Through the gut can be problamatic for some if there's enough gut inflammation to interfere with absorbtion. How healthy do you think your gut is?

You're using the lecithin? I'll be watching to see how it goes. Through the gut can be problamatic for some if there's enough gut inflammation to interfere with absorbtion. How healthy do you think your gut is?

Yes I'm using the lecithin. Hmm, that's an interesting question. I don't know. I would say it's ok. I would also say maybe not. I don't eat much and I take most all my meds on an empty stomach, for years now. Movements are fine and I feel fine so I don't know. All my labs say I'm ok. I just had lab work done 2 weeks ago. I just took two "0" capsules. I had only taken one before so I'll be waiting now.

Yes I'm using the lecithin. Hmm, that's an interesting question. I don't know. I would say it's ok. I would also say maybe not. I don't eat much and I take most all my meds on an empty stomach, for years now. Movements are fine and I feel fine so I don't know. All my labs say I'm ok. I just had lab work done 2 weeks ago. I just took two "0" capsules. I had only taken one before so I'll be waiting now.

If your gut was challenged you'd know it. Regular movement is a good sign of good colonization of the area by beneficial bacteria. Your cannabinoid consumption should take care of the rest.

I've noticed that many of the male members require a higher dose of edibles, and I often wonder if that could be related to increased consumption of red meat. Men tend to prefer their meat red. It may be a biological thing, but red meat is problamatic for the gut in large quantities, and the first thing to be effected is absorbtion.

If your gut was challenged you'd know it. Regular movement is a good sign of good colonization of the area by beneficial bacteria. Your cannabinoid consumption should take care of the rest.

I've noticed that many of the male members require a higher dose of edibles, and I often wonder if that could be related to increased consumption of red meat. Men tend to prefer their meat red. It may be a biological thing, but red meat is problamatic for the gut in large quantities, and the first thing to be effected is absorbtion.

I can honestly say this male is not the big red meat eater. I can say that I don't think this would be my issue. I wondering if I could be psyching myself out?? I've done that before with other things I've consumed in the past.

Back
Top Bottom