Germination times and patience

DogOn

Hi folks,

I just bought some AF seeds from a sponsor of this forum, I dunked them 18 hrs in bottled water as usual and I had the 5 of them sprouting beautifully .... I favor the paper towel method to achieve 1/2 inch rootlings and proceed to plant them.... Its been 4 days and the rootlings have not grown much, I try to keep my paper towels moist not super wet to try to achieve some search of water by the seed... It has not grown much.... Is this normal??

Well they need three things before planting..warmth, moisture, and air. It still looks to me like they are drowning. The paper towel, although it's hard to see, looks extremely wet. The one can probably get potted but the others may have to wait a bit.

In fact look a bit too wet. With this method the paper need to be really wet only 12-24 hours then remain just moist enough to keep them moist. That's when you need to cover it with another moist layer. I prefer planting directly in medium. I find it easier. The trick is just not planting too deep just covering the seed is enough. Keep in mind what's needed for the seed as said is moisture air and darkness. Covering a few with the medium is enough. No need to plant it deep. Even putting it on top and covering is enough and good. Then water only to keep it wet 12-24 hours then just keep it moist

Next time soak then in a glass of room temp water for 24 hours then put them in a DAMP,not soaked,paper towel,then put the paper towel in a plastic bag,seal it,put in a dark place and in 2 or 3 days they should be germinated.Make sure the tap root is about 1/4 inch long before you plant it in your medium.

In fact look a bit too wet. With this method the paper need to be really wet only 12-24 hours then remain just moist enough to keep them moist. That's when you need to cover it with another moist layer. I prefer planting directly in medium. I find it easier. The trick is just not planting too deep just covering the seed is enough. Keep in mind what's needed for the seed as said is moisture air and darkness. Covering a few with the medium is enough. No need to plant it deep. Even putting it on top and covering is enough and good. Then water only to keep it wet 12-24 hours then just keep it moist

I am uncovering the papertowels to let more oxygen to flow....I am letting the soaked paper towel to dry just a tad too see if that works

Next time soak then in a glass of room temp water for 24 hours then put them in a DAMP,not soaked,paper towel,then put the paper towel in a plastic bag,seal it,put in a dark place and in 2 or 3 days they should be germinated.Make sure the tap root is about 1/4 inch long before you plant it in your medium.

How is the oxygen going to flow ? is it enough oxygen for 3 days?

WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW? Whats the corrective thing to do here? Damp a new paper towel?Am I screwed?

WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW? Whats the corrective thing to do here? Damp a new paper towel?Am I screwed?
That's what I would do. Start by folding over a paper towel and moisten it and place it on a plate. Then gently place them on top. Take two more pieces of paper towel and moisten those. Lay them on top of the seeds. If you have any right now that have a tap root at leatst a 1/4" you want to get that planted, lightly and not too deep. Place the towel in a dark location. If you see puddles on the plate, drain it. You have too much water.

:goodluck:

That's what I would do. Start by folding over a paper towel and moisten it and place it on a plate. Then gently place them on top. Take two more pieces of paper towel and moisten those. Lay them on top of the seeds. If you have any right now that have a tap root at leatst a 1/4" you want to get that planted, lightly and not too deep. Place the towel in a dark location. If you see puddles on the plate, drain it. You have too much water.

:goodluck:
I used 'spray bottle' type of damp. Put them next to my 'DISH' component for the TV. I noticed the self was dark towards the back and maintaining a 74* F temperature. Good luck.

I'm with you on the direct seeding. No need to get complicated. I can think of nothing else where it's recommended to germinate in a cup then paper towel.. Moderately wet medium to start, cover with plastic wrap until you see her coming through. Put somewhere dark and warm, for me a utility closet on top of the hot water heater. Now I plant a little deeper maybe closer to 1/2 inch as I think it helps with getting the shell off. In a well drained solo cup size container I usually don't need to add water until she is around 3 days above ground.
My advice would be to plant them all! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom