GEDC00014.JPG
GEDC00022.JPG
GEDC00033.JPG
GEDC00076.JPG
GEDC00057.JPG
GEDC00044.JPG
GEDC00065.JPG

=)

that light is slackware atm...i have not yet instaled the earth wire connecting the bed fram and the foil reflector to the earth pin of one of those empty sockets. i would NOT reccomend running without an earth to anyone...im only trusting it because ive a 1 amp fuse in there.
ive been shocked a few times and a 1amp jolt barely wakes me up more than my first coffee of the day :rofl:

sooo... been doing some research.
im not overly happy with my set up. i worry about roots getting sliced to pieces every time i move my pots due to the gravel moving.

also hydro guys have a paranoia about algae.

so im thinking of replacing the ballast with barley straw.

yup thats right..shock and horror hydro guys =p
im going to find something organic and deliberatly expose it to light and leave it rotting in my water :rofl:

check it out tho...it kills algae and it seems it does so by producing natural hydrogen peroxide =D

any comments?

Good idea mate; I know barley's been used for years to inhibit algal growth in lakes and ponds.

This might be of interest to you: Kinghorn Lock: experts meet to discuss pollutions clean-up | UK Centre for Ecology & Hydrology

It suggests it takes 6-8 weeks for the straw to decompose enough that it starts inhibiting the algal growth but if you started early, or kept a supply in buckets of water to for a few weeks to 'prime' it, it could be a good long term solution

just another mini update. i have soaked my next 20 seeds a day ahead of schedule.
however, im going to grow this lot as hempies.
it requires more money than i have to set up another one the same. another sack of gravel e.t.c
also im hedgeing my bets. whilst im confident in my ganics, i cannot afford to lose...so 20 went wet and 20 will go dry. will be nice to do a side by side anyway =D

seed cracking solution used. 1L warm water, 1 drop of antiback dishsoap and 2ml of seaweed, placed next to my boiler to maintain heat and dark

Ooh, will be exciting watching you do the hempies :)

I really must do that this weekend as well, the sproutlings are a movin' :cheer:

just another mini update. i have soaked my next 20 seeds a day ahead of schedule.
however, im going to grow this lot as hempies.
it requires more money than i have to set up another one the same. another sack of gravel e.t.c
also im hedgeing my bets. whilst im confident in my ganics, i cannot afford to lose...so 20 went wet and 20 will go dry. will be nice to do a side by side anyway =D

seed cracking solution used. 1L warm water, 1 drop of antiback dishsoap and 2ml of seaweed, placed next to my boiler to maintain heat and dark

OK, now what do I do? lol.

I was going for the 2L hempie because of space, that being that I can't comfortably fit more than two full size 11L pots in the cupboard so I thought I would get a little beastie in the 2L hempie.

But I'm not drawn to hydro either, and I hate measuring things. Plus, I always forget even if I have the motivation!

I was interested in what you said about me doing a sea of green, but I couldn't see how I would do that unless I used the hempies ... I get scared looking at your creations my darling, they confuse me terribly! :yikes:

I don't have the mad genius gene you see ;)

ok basically you got your 2l bottle...that part is the same in this scenario no matter what method you use.
DWC= cut the top off the bottle and turn it upside down. put your medium in this top and let the roots grow down into the bottle of water.

Hempie= cut the top off the bottle and discard. fill the bottle with hydro material (coco,perlite e.t.c) and drill a hole in the bottle quite low. you pour your feed/drink in the top like a normal grow and it will fill up to the hole and surplus will overflow.

my new 20 will go into a standard soil grow.
cut the top off the bottle...lots of holes for drainage and airation, fill with soil, plant, water and grow.

all the same thing really and all versions can be used for SoG

but im organic now so the soil one is best as organics dont go too well with hydro normally.
i have been successful with soil, so its soil for my back up 20 =D

This is fab, thank you my darling :) :)

OK, now this might be a really silly question, but if you have got holes in the bottle how does it not all come wooooshing out when you water them? I am clearly missing something critical :laugh:

Interesting... now I honestly see where you were coming from with the SOG in my grow. I got me some thinking to do :nomo:

ok basically you got your 2l bottle...that part is the same in this scenario no matter what method you use.
DWC= cut the top off the bottle and turn it upside down. put your medium in this top and let the roots grow down into the bottle of water.

Hempie= cut the top off the bottle and discard. fill the bottle with hydro material (coco,perlite e.t.c) and drill a hole in the bottle quite low. you pour your feed/drink in the top like a normal grow and it will fill up to the hole and surplus will overflow.

my new 20 will go into a standard soil grow.
cut the top off the bottle...lots of holes for drainage and airation, fill with soil, plant, water and grow.

all the same thing really and all versions can be used for SoG

but im organic now so the soil one is best as organics dont go too well with hydro normally.
i have been successful with soil, so its soil for my back up 20 =D

ok, air pots do have watering issues.

most common is when you water, the top soil can be a bit waterproof (same as any soil) so if you water fast it can just run off the top and leak out all the holes.

i deliberatly leave an un holed border between the top of my soil and the top of my pot for this reason.
if you put lots of water in, then it will leak out the bottom like any normal pot.
however most of the time the water is too busy trying to disperse evenly through the soil to run out the sides.

huge key to success is often to spray the topsoil first to pre dampen before watering.

in all instances where water leaking is an issue, plant pots,hempie e.t.c a real good water tray at the bottom is vital unless you really dont give a toss.

How much do you think that is going to add to your grow time?

sorry friend, which 'that' are we reffering to. i tend to have ideas in bursts :rofl:

If you mean defoliation, i shant be defoliation these until i see my first pistil and then just the once because they are auto's and anything that shocks them drops yeild. the benefits of a single defoliation on yield 'should' outweight the shock factor if i do it just the once.

if you mean my 2nd set growing in soil instead of semi hydro...i dont have a clue! but im excited to find out =D

oh fluffy just one thing i should probably mention. if you chose hempie over soil, perlite is a lot more expensive than soil per tub.

my royal society for the protection of birds, organic mud cost me just under a tenner for a bag. and it appears to be enough to do 40+ 2l hydroganics or 20-30 soil grows. perlite costs around 6-7 quid and you may get around 5 pots done for one of those puny bags.

just something to consider for folks on a tight budget =)

i dont reccomend DWC for SoG. the practicality of pulling out the entire crop out of your cupboard to empty the old water out and replace it. At least with the hempies you can (with a decent angled drip tray) just water generously to sort of flush replace whats in the bottom of the hempie and just collect the waste water with a towel or water pump and bucket if your feeling snazzy, lol.

of course if you have the budget you can buy one of those irrigation pipe systems and that opens up your options considerably.

OK, now this might be a really silly question, but if you have got holes in the bottle how does it not all come wooooshing out when you water them? I am clearly missing something critical

it doesnt come whooshing out because the holes are 2-3inches up sides of bottles, not out of bottom. they really good for sog. check out 2 Liter Hempy SOG for all u need to know on hempys. u can actually do them in coco also with great results.

Back
Top Bottom