Going to "try" my first grow

2005speedyGTP

hi I have two pineapple trainwreck seeds. I plan on doing my first grow and would like to know tips as to good things to do vs bad.

like what lights to use especially, im confused on which ones are good to use

please feel free to give me tips/private message me. and I will keep you updated on my current grow. thanks guys

Lights are a sticky subject with some, things will depend on the grow space you have and how much you can invest to get off the ground.

You will need to decide how many plants you are growing. How much space you have to grow it in, What growth mediums you would like to use, what nutrients will you use and how. And the light schedule you will be using.

Best tip without you making public those decisions is to visit lowes are another store like it and brain storm while looking at stuff..... Oh and invest in some power strips and a programmable timer..

The good news is you are growing a weed, although according to your seed choice, an exotic weed. Weeds will grow in spite of a lot of abuse, but their yield, and quality will suffer when abused too much.

I recommend that you get some bag seed for your first couple grows and save those lovelies for when you have developed a feel.

Method: Plus, this will give you time to experiment with what medium you want to use- soil/soil-less/DWC/Flood & Drain... Choose one that is relatively simple to begin.

Lights: Your light choice will be dependent on the L X H X W of your grow space, as well as ventilation. Large CFLs, although inexpensive, can get pretty warm. Before getting my Bad Boy (HO- T 5; 8 bulb) I experimented with a UFO 90 LED, and 150 & 300 watt CFLs using a 4 bulb bathroom light fixture from Lowes (when using larger bulbs, I could only use 2 of the 300 watters {<$20/} but supplemented in between with smaller wattage. I got a pretty decent yield, but the buds were airy, meaning I wound up with a lot less gms than I could have.

Cautions: Don't over love your plants. Seedlings only need very diluted nutes, and not much watering until they develop their 3rd leaf nodes. Better to have them wilt a little than to over-water and develop root rot.

hth

thanks for the advice propa gator and petflora! but unfortunately I already started these seeds, I read that to start them in a plastic bag with paper towel and light sprayed water on the towel in the window for 3-4 days with the bag sealed to create a green house affect. I checked them today and we have roots!!! Im thrilled even tho propa gator you have a great point about I should have saved these, Ill pick up another 1/4 of it somewhere again if this doesnt work out and ill have seeds again so its not too much of a worry.
I guess my biggest concern is how much light should they be getting? like how many hours throughout the day?

CFL are probably the cheapest lights that will give results. I'm using them for my first grow along with a t5. Best part about cfls is they are easy to manage and cheap so you can get a feel for growing the plant before you pay big money for a high quality HPS or a high quality led or a large t5 lamp.

Do you have your medium/grow method set up?
as soon as those seedlings start pushing their taproot they'll jump in height, upwards and downwards. As far as lighting, for veg; compact fluorescent bulbs or the longer T-5's will work perfect, try and get mostly 5500K or 6500K paired with one or two 2100K, the K is generally written on the package or you can just look for cool white and the 2100K is warm white.

multiple 20-30 watt lights won't bump your electricity bill up much, it'll be after the first few weeks or month, when you need stronger light, then more light, then a new stronger light for flowering. that's where you'll see the bill increase and every area is different, you can calculate the cost by looking at you charges for every thousand watts used. Cheaper to run lights at night, but also more noticeable in some cases.

Don't forget nutrients and a pH meter.

how safe is your grow area? I mean, smell will probably be your biggest foe, even though you won't mind at all, others might.

alright thanks for the heads up and no I have not got nutrients or pH meter yet. yeah im not trying to get too big into this bc im trying to learn as I got and im constantly busy with both of my jobs and school full time but I figured why not give it a shot I have the seeds right? lol a buddy of mine from school said he plans on growing soon at his apt and that if I get these plants going he will take care of them lighting wise etc. then we will just work out a cut on the deal.

yea I understand that. just dont want to invest tons of time into it and it fail. I want to start simple and then build off of it. how long does it normally take for a plant to grow??

Failing is part of it...if you're afraid to fail, then don't even start. I agree with smoke...the better your grow space is for the plants, the higher the probability of success..

As it is, you're giving yourself the highest probability to fail...

Just food for thought..

:goodluck:

Ya I understand what you guys mean and all im just no pro to know right vs wrong. and im experimenting with it at the moment.

good news tho . . when I left for school this morning I looked at my plant and nothing still, I just got home 20 minutes ago and after a shitty day at school all day I check my plant and I have almost a 2 inch tall plant! highlight of my day!

Ya I understand what you guys mean and all im just no pro to know right vs wrong. and im experimenting with it at the moment.

good news tho . . when I left for school this morning I looked at my plant and nothing still, I just got home 20 minutes ago and after a shitty day at school all day I check my plant and I have almost a 2 inch tall plant! highlight of my day!

There aren't many pros here...becoming a pro is about not fearing failure..

Your result today is awesome...now go and grow!!

:Namaste:

I just have looked over many journals and it seems like these guys know what they are doing.

dumb question but I work at a autobody shop and we in the paint booth use the bulbs to make the paint look like it would in sun light, would these be smart light bulbs to use?

I doupt any of the journals here are by pros just simply due.t:blunt:oo the fact that no one would post that much growth due to pros growing very very large amounts and even if keeping with local law no one wants the chance of being linked with 30+plants... the people here are mostly.hobbyists and though they might know an incredible amount they aren't paid to do it.
Great news on the plant though, best of luck in getting it dank and sticky... good luck to me to ill need it :blunt:

Back
Top Bottom