Gonna Do My Very First Scrog Net And Need Tips & Advice

JoeDaddy77

I have a 5x5 tent that I'm gonna do 4, 5 gallon DWC buckets. This is will my very first time using scrog net. I've been growing for several years now, but I've never used the net. Can someone help me with some links or advice of what to do and when? I usually top and lst my plants, but do I need to do lst with net or just top it? I have 1 Blue dream photo fem, 1 Super Skunk photo fem, 1 Gold leaf photo fem all from 420. I have a green Crack photo fem in flower and I'm gong try to get a clone off her for the 4th plant. I have a 3x3 veg and a 5x5 flower tent to run perpetual, that's why Ive never really tried the scrog, bc I can't do perpetual with a net they have to be in the same tent the whole time. I'll post my pics later. Any help is gonna be greatly appreciated.

The way I would scrog is grow them out 3 or even 4 feet. Then super crop your branches to the same level then weave branches through the net until 3/4 of the squares are filled then let your colas grow straight up 18” or so then flip.

It really depends on how tall your tents are, ARE you working with 7 feet or adjustable Gorilla, or 6 to 6.5 Tall? For example, my 2x2x5(5ft and a quarter or 170cm) i have the screen at 2 feet since I like to run my (passive)intake under the screen and flow up to fan/filter combo. With the older tech "blurple" lights, there good for about 10-12 inches of thick growth at around 13-14 inches away from the tops. The thickness of the light is 5-6 inches and it's almost at the very top of the tent. What lights are you using, can you keep them fairly close, or do you need distance. MORE details friend, and we will get you tightened up. Here's some pictures of an out of nowhere SCROG that I decided to do on an AUTO seed that wasn't SO Auto. Keep it Green! :thumb:

The way I would scrog is grow them out 3 or even 4 feet. Then super crop your branches to the same level then weave branches through the net until 3/4 of the squares are filled then let your colas grow straight up 18” or so then flip.

So you don't think they need topped? Just super cropped?

It really depends on how tall your tents are, ARE you working with 7 feet or adjustable Gorilla, or 6 to 6.5 Tall? For example, my 2x2x5(5ft and a quarter or 170cm) i have the screen at 2 feet since I like to run my (passive)intake under the screen and flow up to fan/filter combo. With the older tech "blurple" lights, there good for about 10-12 inches of thick growth at around 13-14 inches away from the tops. The thickness of the light is 5-6 inches and it's almost at the very top of the tent. What lights are you using, can you keep them fairly close, or do you need distance. MORE details friend, and we will get you tightened up. Here's some pictures of an out of nowhere SCROG that I decided to do on an AUTO seed that wasn't SO Auto. Keep it Green! :thumb:

My tent is 6.5 feet tall and I'm using a california lightworks 1100UVB. It's 5x5 so I'm probably gonna run 4 plants in DWC buckets (at least 3)

I used to SCROG, and this isn't it. This is using a trellis to hold up your plants midway in their height. There is nothing wrong with this system, but it isn't scrogging. With the quality of today's lighting, I doubt that real scrogging ever comes back into style... it just isnt necessary.

When I SCROGGED, I could fill up a 4x4 tent with ONE plant. We were under strong pressure because of the illegality of what we were doing, to keep our plant count very low. The actual SCROG technique is done by setting a screen with 1 inch (no more than 2 inch) holes down on top of the vegging plants early, when they are 10" high, bending them down to the horizontal. From then on, up to an hour a night was spent, forcing all new growth to remain horizontal under that 10" high screen. The screen was worked for at least several weeks, tucking and weaving all the new growth to remain under that screen, until the entire screen had been filled 70%. Then the FLIP to 12/12 was done, allowing the stretch to fill out the rest of the screen, everything still totally under the 10 inch high wire screen.

At the end of stretch, with a full screen, the buds are then finally allowed to go vertical and head up above the screen. This produces a very even mass of small buds, all over the room all at a very even height. We did this back in the day so as to be able to use very weak T5HO fluorescent lighting to good effect, even in bloom, with the lights carefully positioned 4 inches away from the top of the super even canopy. This kept our plant count way down and allowed for inferior lights to be used.

If you top much later it won't affect latteral growth much but will beef up the buds.
You'll notice how the net helps support stems when you do HST and LST bends but beware of weaving they will later push up the net so using the net for spacing more than support.

I wouldn't SCROG a 5x5, I hadn't scrogged in years and it's WORK. I don't normally use the old Mars light to flower since it's my Veg/Auto tent, but things change and this plant surprised me and I wanted a rematch in the 2x2. That being said, it took 45 minutes or more to defoliate the plant in Week 3 and this is with a defol right before flipping the lights to bloom(100+ leaves at least). We used to rock 4 plants per 1k hps many years ago in a 5x5, you can use bamboo poles to spread out the plants and control where the mains go. I would go 4-6 mains per plant and train them flat and wide and fill the space, then flip and let them rise to the occasion. :rofl:

Will the streachy bungy cord type nets do ok? I have a proto that needs some serious tieng down. I ordered a scrog net and was expecting something like paracord. What I got is streachy and Im afraid my plant would push it up.
I wanted to avoid using fencing in the 4x4 tent, thats what I usually use in a closet.

Lst did pretty good, then got out of hand. Its been veging while I got my humidity down. Thats in a 10 gallon tote
20210903_080005.jpg

I would just LST until its time to put on the SCROG.
All topping does is slow down growth and takes away the best bud on the plant.
I respectfully disagree, My plants don't skip a beat being topped(pinching is easier and recovers faster than scissor cuts) once around week 3 to 3.5. You are just building your plant at this point and one Cola versus 4 to 6 Mains will win EVERYTIME in the yield department. Indoor growing is about using your available space(and light) efficiently, NOT going to happen with one MAIN cola and smaller branches off of one Main. Your target growth zone should be around 20 inches to 2 feet. Most lights are NO good past that point. Unless you like trimming scraggly puffy buds with NO density.

I respectfully disagree, My plants don't skip a beat being topped(pinching is easier and recovers faster than scissor cuts) once around week 3 to 3.5. You are just building your plant at this point and one Cola versus 4 to 6 Mains will win EVERYTIME in the yield department. Indoor growing is about using your available space(and light) efficiently, NOT going to happen with one MAIN cola and smaller branches off of one Main. Your target growth zone should be around 20 inches to 2 feet. Most lights are NO good past that point. Unless you like trimming scraggly puffy buds with NO density.
To each his own.
But I've never topped a plant ever and I fill my 2x5 space full with a nice even canopy.
It can obviously be done both ways, but most people usually see a few days of stunted growth with topping.
Its great you manage to get around that somehow.

The only difference between topping and LST is you lose the main bud.
With LST every 1/2" to 1" of growth creates two colas.
My average is 8.6oz per plant which is mostly limited because my space is so small, 10sq/ft
If my space was 3x5 (15sq/ft) it would probably be about 12oz per plant.
Of course if I had a 4x4 then I would use 4 pots and my per plant would go down but per space would go up.
And would take less veg time.
So the square footage is the only limiting factor, you can fill that footage however you wish, you can top, LST, or just sog with no topping or LST at all with a bunch of small pots and plants.

Its just whatever works best for you.

20160917_101920.jpg
20170405_085751.jpg
20170502_085850.jpg
20170907_210240.jpg
20190721_212822.jpg
20190716_182106.jpg
20190621_195713.jpg
20200825_142309.jpg

To each his own.
But I've never topped a plant ever and I fill my 2x5 space full with a nice even canopy.
It can obviously be done both ways, but most people usually see a few days of stunted growth with topping.
Its great you manage to get around that somehow.

The only difference between topping and LST is you lose the main bud.
With LST every 1/2" to 1" of growth creates two colas.
My average is 8.6oz per plant which is mostly limited because my space is so small, 10sq/ft
If my space was 3x5 (15sq/ft) it would probably be about 12oz per plant.
Of course if I had a 4x4 then I would use 4 pots and my per plant would go down but per space would go up.
And would take less veg time.
So the square footage is the only limiting factor, you can fill that footage however you wish, you can top, LST, or just sog with no topping or LST at all with a bunch of small pots and plants.

Its just whatever works best for you.

20160917_101920.jpg
20170405_085751.jpg
20170502_085850.jpg
20170907_210240.jpg
20190721_212822.jpg
20190716_182106.jpg
20190621_195713.jpg
20200825_142309.jpg
Im hoping i can make my 4x4 look like that, with mostly one plant

The downfall to SCROG's are they are extremely(comparatively) labor intensive(especially bigger Screens). Front loaded though so that's a plus, but still much more work than I currently do with 3 plants and crack usually 10-12 zips in a 2x4(per tent). I've done this over and over and always end up with 6 full half gallon jars per 2x4 that loosely hold 2 to 2.5 zones(I haven't bothered weighing for a long time, not worth all the work either in my situation and I've stuffed a QP in a half gallon before with a SUPER dense Bubba's Gift plant). I don't knock the style at all(many ways to get to the finish line), but I used to do scrog's and know what can be accomplished... and how much effort you have to put forth. I run my smaller 5 foot tent to right around 28-30 inch plants(I flip at 45 Days, bigger tent, Day 50ish) and the light is as far UP that it can go. Knowing your setup is half the battle and your environmental conditions. I literally pinch the top at the 5th node, cull the bottom two(or 4) and train the branches flat with LST here and there. NO poles no tying no NADA....

In my situation, I'm all about easy and efficient... this is a SMALL part of my life(I run my own business) so anywhere I can shave TIME... I don't hesitate to evaluate and simplify the situation as much as I possibly can and still produce that FIYA. I'll never sacrifice in quality, quantity... that just comes with experience and Dialing in your specific variables. All the Best Nunya... haven't seen you in awhile. :passitleft:

One of those nets came with my old 2x2(Jardin) I used to have... Didn't have much use for it. If you really are into Scrog, PVC is easy, or Scrap wood laying around and Mason Line.

Still not sure about the streachy net, but I'm working on it.
20210908_142015.jpg
Farther along now, she's flowering and hopefully almost done with the streach.
Im gona do a big defoliation,.. thieng to lollipop whats under the net. Ill try to get some of those higher center branches down too.
It seems like the parts that get better light grow better, but it makes the other parts get even less.
20211004_152101.jpg

Farther along now, she's flowering and hopefully almost done with the streach.
Im gona do a big defoliation,.. thieng to lollipop whats under the net. Ill try to get some of those higher center branches down too.
It seems like the parts that get better light grow better, but it makes the other parts get even less.
20211004_152101.jpg
Here it is at 16 days 12/12 or about a week flowering. The grey container fills 3/4 the tent, and I added 2 og kush clones and another critical lights clone in the 4or5 gallon plastic pots.
Lollypoping looks a lot easier in other peoples pictures...lol. I trimed a lot under the net but could still probably use some more defoliation for airflow.
20211008_082432.jpg

Back
Top Bottom