GreeenFingers - Mr Nice - NL5 x Afghan - DWC - SCROG

Hey Growlow

That actually sounds really interesting, I've never heard of anybody eating the roots before ha ha I've always just thrown mine out not even considering a use for them. I do like the idea of utilising as much of the plants as possible.

Is there actually any flavour to them at all without the seasoning? I wonder what the nutritional value of the roots would be? Knowing cannabis, its probably great for you ha ha people also find great benefit to a range of medical conditions by simply juicing cannabis leaves.

You should definitely give it a shot again if you have the space to spare, You have inspired my to try frying a few cleaned roots at the end of this harvest. I'll be sure to let you know what I think :)

GreenFingers

I've eaten them raw fresh out of the bucket before. They're yum as! I'm actually going to set up a hybrid hydro pot the exact same way I always have and will do a stage by stage instructional. Imagine No Till Organic soil connected to a hydro set up. What I'm going to do is do both a heavy THC producer with high terpene content and a heavy CBD producer also with high terpene content. Send a sample of each root mass off for lab analytics.

Everything looks lush btw ;) Keep at it my mate!

I'm sub'd in for sure...I wouldn't miss it. Your journal has so much information that it answered most of my questions. I just have to go through it successfully to learn. Looove the pics of your lab and ladies. Thanks for helping me, that was most stellar and kind. :thanks:

Hey growtohealme

Great to have you along for the ride, I hope you enjoy it here :)

Feel free to ask any questions you may have along the way, I'm always happy to help out in any way that I can :)

Thanks for stopping by

GreenFingers

Hey Growlow

Surely you rinsed them off first? ha ha

I would love to see a tutorial describing how you do what you do, make sure to link me when you start one :)

That's a great idea, I will be eagerly awaiting the analysis of those test results, It might just prove cannabis to be a nutritionally substantial root vegetable :)

Maybe you could also test the nutritional difference between high % Indica and a high % Sativa, that could be interesting.

GreenFingers

UPDATE:

DAY 29

Hey everybody :ciao:

A nice big update for you all today :)

The girls are still growing very vigorously with the colas beginning to fatten up nicely.

I noticed new signs of Calcium deficiency with some more spotting appearing on a few leaves, these girls are extreme calcium hogs and are leaving me with a little bit of a dilemma :hmmmm:

I am using Advanced Nutrients Connoisseur as a Base and supplementing with CalMag due to very soft tap water, Connoisseur only has 2.2% Calcium, any additional calcium that is then needed is supplemented.

The problem here is that the girls want more Calcium. CalMag also contains Nitrogen which is not ideal considering that I feel the girls are already getting the adequate amount of Nitrogen, If I push it any further with the CalMag I may run into Nitrogen Toxicity which I really do not want at this stage of flower, as too much N in Flower can inhibit bud development.

I've been thinking about what to do and think there may be a viable option. :)

I have the General Hydroponics Flora line on my shelves but have never used it before, It was originally bought to test out the Lucas formula but I never got around to trying it because I wanted to do a side by side with clones to get a fair comparison.

The Micro part of the line I have is for Soft water and contains 7% Calcium and using the Lucas formula at the ratio of 1 part Micro to 2 parts Bloom will give a calcium concentration of 3.5% which is a considerable amount more than connoisseurs 2.2%, this mix will also keep the N level the same level that the plants are enjoying at the moment.

I'm not sure whether to switch both of them to the Lucas formula at the next reservoir or just switch one of them to trail a comparison until the end of flower?

The nutrient concentration has been raised as the girls are consuming the nutrients as fast as I can put them in, with EC levels dropping and PH rising considerably within a single day after the most recent reservoir change, they definitely wanted more food.

The EC has been raised to 2.45 and the PH has been set to 5.8 rather than the usual 5.7 to try and help with the Calcium's absorption by making it more accessible to the roots.

For all you TDS users that's 1225 ppm on the 0.5 scale or 1700 ppm on the 0.7 scale.

I'd love to hear what you guys think about the dilemma, any thoughts or experiences?

Sit back, relax, and enjoy some pictures :)

This is a 25 litre ( 6 gal ) bucket and I'm really running out of space for these roots.

DSC_073112.JPG

29A1.JPG

29C.JPG

DSC_07147.JPG

DSC_073212.JPG

DSC_073416.JPG

DSC_074510.JPG

DSC_074811.JPG

Hope you all enjoyed this one :thumb:

GreenFingers

Hey Growlow

Surely you rinsed them off first? ha ha

I would love to see a tutorial describing how you do what you do, make sure to link me when you start one :)

That's a great idea, I will be eagerly awaiting the analysis of those test results, It might just prove cannabis to be a nutritionally substantial root vegetable :)

Maybe you could also test the nutritional difference between high % Indica and a high % Sativa, that could be interesting.

GreenFingers

Great minds my mate, great minds indeed. It is already noted in the my notebook to have as thorough analysis on the roots as possible. I would be VERY surprised to find any significant levels of Cannabinoids or Terpenes. My main focus is the nutritional side of things. With that said I'll still have the guys doing the liquid chromotography to do a thorough check for those Cannabinoids and Terpenes. (You have no idea how much I'd love my own LC machine! Pricey fkn things but I could get so much more testing done. I'll be doing the instructional for my pot set up in the next week. Will be sure to give you the heads up!

The update was absolutely epic! Such healthy lookin gals ;)

I do doubt that there would be much of a Cannabinoid or Terpene profile on the roots but It will be fascinating to find the nutrient and mineral content such as B vitamins and Magnesium, Iron, Zinc etc.

You're probably looking at tens of thousands for a good liquid chromatography machine ha ha If I had one I would be separating, quantifying and analysing anything I could get my hands on :)

Great, I really look forward to it

Oh Growlow, while I have you, I posted a question in the FAQ that did not recieve any substantial responses but I think you may be the best guy to ask.

I have searched a lot and cant seem to find an answer to my question.

What if you were to create feminised seeds from a plant that was grown from feminised seed stock. In other words creating a S1 from a S1, would that be an S2?

Do you know what this would do to the genetics? Would the plant be more likely to hermaphrodite or be unstable? Or would I just get standard feminised seeds?

Would it be worth trying it as an attempt to preserve the genetics of a keeper mother?

Really appreciate any insight you may have :)

Oh the girls are flattered by your complements :high-five:

GreenFingers

Hey Noob thanks for stopping by :)

My first grow was only in a 45 cm x 80 cm ( 1.5 ft x 2.5 ft ) box, grown in soil and the yield was about 5 oz

My new room is 60 cm x 135 cm ( 2 ft x 4.5 ft ) with way more lighting so I am hoping to get a considerable amount more this time around :)

This probably about my 5th or 6th full grow at this stage with smaller grows in-between and lots of different strains and years of research.

GreenFingers

My first grow was only in a 45 cm x 80 cm ( 1.5 ft x 2.5 ft ) box, grown in soil and the yield was about 5 oz

My new room is 60 cm x 135 cm ( 2 ft x 4.5 ft ) with way more lighting so I am hoping to get a considerable amount more this time around :)

This probably about my 5th or 6th full grow at this stage with smaller grows in-between and lots of different strains and years of research.

GreenFingers

Your hard work clearly shows! You can't fake growing, it's all organic skills. I'm learning so much from your natural creations. Respect:smokin:

Your hard work clearly shows! You can't fake growing, it's all organic skills. I'm learning so much from your natural creations. Respect:smokin:

Thanks growtohealme :)

I'm delighted that you're learning so much from this journal, I hope that it can be used kind of like a guide, I'm trying to give as much information as possible on how and why I do certain things, teaching people not to make the same mistakes that I have in the past :)

GreenFingers

UPDATE:

DAY 32

Hey everybody :ciao:

Everything seems to be going well in the garden. The CalMag has been upped to try and match these girls massive Calcium appetite and now its the waiting game to see if any more leaf spotting begins to spread, this is not a fun game ha ha

I'm still contemplating switching from the Connoisseur to the Lucas formula to try and increase the Calcium without increasing the Nitrogen. I'm just not sure whether to do a side by side or just switch both?

EC - 2.5

TDS
- 1250 ppm ( 0.5 scale ) 1750 ppm ( 0.7 scale )

PH - 5.8

Enjoy some pictures of the girls before lights out :)

32a.JPG

32b.JPG

32c.JPG

32d.JPG

DSC_07677.JPG

DSC_076810.JPG

Hope you all enjoyed this one :thumb:

GreenFingers

GreenFingers

What lights was the lighting for that first grow?

Also on the tube at NoobGrow

Back
Top Bottom