Grow #3 - The Grow Under the Stairs - CKS WW & SD

daverabbit

Greetings,

This is a chronicling of the perils and pitfalls of a new organic grower. Before we begin, a quick grow history of DaveRabbit.

The very first grow I ever tried was a wreck. I was new not only to growing Cannabis, but new to growing anything. So the first grow was as much about learning to keep a plant alive as it was trying to score some quality bud. The lighting, the grow medium, the temperature, the air flow, even the seed germination process became one giant work in progress. As I learned more, the grow op evolved until eventually becoming the set up I have today. A few pics of the disastrous first grow can found here (strain was CKS White Voodoo:

Hermied So Hard It Flowers In Veg?

My second grow was a little more encouraging, making it all the way to harvest. The strain was "Crop King Seeds" White Widow. The genetics are hardy in these seeds, as I was transitioning between the old Rubbermaid container+CFL to the new tent+HPS set up half way through the grow. I also moved away from Promix Potting Soil as a medium to an all organic, custom mixture half way through the grow. I know I took a chance there as the soil "cooked" around the plants, only really starting to give it's organic benefits towards the end of flower. Couple that with my experiments in LST, topping, etc and it's amazing these ladies held it together :volcano-smiley:

In any case, I recently completed my first real harvest last week and immediately started the next generation of seedlings. It's full steam ahead now, Gents.

Some pics from the end of grow 2:

IMG_20160824_163621.jpg

IMG_20160824_163344.jpg

IMG_20160823_190851.jpg

Now that grow #2 has ended, the tent has been cleaned up, the timer reset to 18/6, the veg bulb is back in and the light power has been reduced to 50%. Here we go again, armed with new equipment and tons of knowledge.

IMG_20160825_165028.jpg

I attempted to germinate the remaining two WW seeds I had, but only one sprouted a tail. Not only did it sprout a tail, it was ready for soil by the next day! After one day in soil:

IMG_20160825_164758.jpg

She's aggressive - I like it.

August 26th

After a day at 50% strength lights, I said "f*ck it" and cranked it up to full power (I saw serrated leaves, that's good enough for me). This little WW is loving having all that light to itself but it's going to have to learn to share - Sour Disel has arrived!

IMG_20160826_160515.jpg

While three SD seeds were germinating, I potted up the WW seedling to it's final home.

IMG_20160828_192858.jpg

August 29

All three SD seeds popped little tails so they went in to soil last night. This evening we'll check for sprouts and "burp" the WW in jars. Having a constant grow/harvest is going to keep me busy.

September 3

We've got sprouts in all four pots! Germination was a complete success, save for the leftover WW seed. The lone WW continues to grow fat, lush leaves and the Sour Diesel seedlings are working hard to catch up.

IMG_20160903_155242.jpg

Not much else to say about the plants. Now that they're well rooted, it's a waiting game.

So I'll tell you about my setup. All my equipment has been bought with a budget in mind, trying to find that sweet spot between low cost and poor quality. Almost all my gear came through Amazon - you just can't f*ck with that Prime. You can spend an hour researching a product then a few clicks later it's in the mail.

I went with the Apollo 400w Cool Tube grow light pack, shoved in to a 2'x2'x4' tent. Like the grow light the tent is decent enough for what I'm trying to do. After trying to grow in Promix (and nothing else,) lurking the forum eventually led me to the only right answer; organics. I followed a simple organics guide here at 420 using ingredients from a landscaping store out in the country. The compost I grabbed is fantastic - it's a fish based compost called Ocean and Earth that combines kelp and other organics. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the full benefits of it in the last grow as I started "cooking" the soil half-way through the grow. There wasn't enough time for everything to break down properly. This time, we're in good shape as the soil in the pots is from the batch I mixed last grow. It's well broken down by now and ready to rock. :Namaste:

Note to self: label the pots before you lose track of who is who...

I'll grab a seat for this one! I can't believe how fast those SD germinated and pushed their first set of leaves. I just started my first grow with WWAutos and they've taken about 3 times as long to just push to the surface. Good Luck on your journey :Namaste:
Thanks dude. So far this grow has been really encouraging compared to my last/first grow. Experience makes all the difference but that doesn't mean you can't arm yourself with knowledge in the mean time. If it wasn't for forums like this one I would never have gotten a seed to sprout lol

For any one wondering why I chose SD, it sounds like the daily smoke I want: energetic and happy. Couchlock is fun sometimes, but some of us have chores and responsibilities and adult stuff to deal with and that takes energy. Sour Diesel (apparently the most popular strain in the world?) fits the bill.

No updates yet, seedlings are healthy and lights are still at 75% wattage or 300 total Watts. Approx. 2.5 ft over head, nice and gentle..

September 6th

IMG_20160904_200720.jpg

White Widow circa two days ago (September 4th). She's growing like...a weed?
I'm waiting for another set of leaves on each of the Sour Diesels then cranking the lights up to full powa

All four babies got a molasses bath last night to boost the organic soil since we are just starting off in the grow. Given that the soil has "cooked" for a few months, the molasses is more of a bonus than a necessity. Some say it sweetens the final product...

September 8th

IMG_20160907_194133.jpg
IMG_20160907_194045.jpg
IMG_20160907_194007.jpg
IMG_20160907_193902.jpg

Some pictoral goodies, thumb-nailed to keep this page under 10 miles long.

The Sour D's pushed out some great little fan leaves and seem to be thriving and the White Widow just wants me to stay out of it's way! Lights are using all 400 watts now which means the fan controller had to be dialed up a few notches to compensate for the extra heat.

A new development from the last grow is the soil drainage. As I mentioned above, I only switched to organics half way through the last grow. The root balls were packed with Promix so densely I couldn't shake it off. Promix drains a lot differently than my very airy soil composition so I have to reset my watering requirements for this grow. Instead of watering only twice a week, it looks like it might be every other day now. Not a big deal, it reaffirms that the soil I mixed up is a good consistency for Cannabis. On that note, does any one have an idea of how much run-off I should be looking for with organic soil? I want to give it a good soak but I don't want to wash out the nutrients. Is that even possible with organics?

This isn't my first grow but it's also not my tenth grow. Lots to learn :Namaste:

September 12th

Happy Monday! Here's the crop:

IMG_20160910_215053.jpg
IMG_20160910_215040.jpg
IMG_20160910_215013.jpg

The White Widow is no joke. She's taking no prisoners on the way up. Each of the Sour D's has sprouted a thick set of leaves, two of the three sisters are neck in neck, the other is a little runt. Who knows - the runt may end up bearing the sweetest fruit lol

I love this hobby.

September 13th

So it seems like I've hit the first little bump on the road. I noticed some minor "anomalies" on some leaf edges. The WW has it on two leaves, one of the SD's has it on one leaf. See pics for reference. Seasoned growers have probably seen it before many times. Any one have a quick diagnosis before I start sifting through help threads?

I'm guessing some kind of nute burn from the soil but I was under the impression organics didn't have that issue. My last grow had many n00b problems that I'd rather not repeat...

IMG_20160912_171427.jpg
IMG_20160912_171542.jpg
IMG_20160912_171600.jpg

September 17th

It's a beautiful Saturday morning to be growing. The lights are scheduled so they don't turn on until noon but once they do, it's always a pleasure throwing back the curtain and greeting the garden as it wakes up.

I topped the White Widow last night at the 6th or 7th node, depending on which leaf you start with. Flower is not far off and I have to take grow space in to consideration. I hope that topping will stunt the maximum height like it seemed to during my last grow. I'll probably do the same to the SDs, depending. Has anyone out there grown Crop King Seeds Sour Diesel that can comment on the height?

IMG_20160917_135529.jpg

IMG_20160916_154706.jpg
IMG_20160916_154615.jpg
IMG_20160916_154538.jpg

Hey Daverabbit, your plants are looking great! I wouldn't worry about the random spots. I find most of my plants get a spot or two. As long as it doesn't spread and your girls have more new growth than infected growth. If it does start to spread then I would research this website or google. They look awesome though. White Widow is an old favorite of mine. I've seen some super frosty ww so you should be in for a treat haha. Keep up the savvy work bud.

Hey Daverabbit, your plants are looking great! I wouldn't worry about the random spots. I find most of my plants get a spot or two. As long as it doesn't spread and your girls have more new growth than infected growth. If it does start to spread then I would research this website or google. They look awesome though. White Widow is an old favorite of mine. I've seen some super frosty ww so you should be in for a treat haha. Keep up the savvy work bud.
Hey thanks for the positive feedback. My first two grows were a struggle and I remember looking at pictures of healthy plants on this forum feeling like it was impossible for me to get those results. I'm stoked to see how this one turns out! My goals are modest, just trying to grow enough quality reefer to support personal habits.

Stay on that grind

September 21

Hey all. Here's some juicy veg pics to put some pep in your Wednesday step.

The Crop

Sour Diesel #1

Sour Diesel #2

Sour Diesel #3 "The Runt"

White Widow

White Widow fan leaf tuck

Not much to report, just watching and waiting. End of next week we're switching to 12/12 and a flowering bulb! The White Widow has grown some really broad heavy fan leaves. It's a squat, bushy potted plant now (in the pics you can see two fresh new growths from topping). I have a feeling the SD's could get big with that Sativa dominance. Time will tell..

September 24th

The crop has taken off, producing some good growth over a day or two. The WW is getting close to maxing out the pot it's in, I think. While checking underneath the pot I noticed some root growth coming through the drain holes.

I plan on starting flower in a week which would make total veg time 4 weeks for the SD's and 5 weeks for the WW. If the pre-flowers are there, I may start flower earlier to save the WW from getting root bound.

In any case, here's the crop today looking good. I'm super happy with this batch of seeds from Crop King Seeds. These ladies are healthy and strong.

420-magazine-mobile1858849416.jpg

420-magazine-mobile233668050.jpg

I'm especially pleased with "Sour Diesel #2". She's always had great aesthetics and deserved a close up. If I was going to clone a plant, this would be my first.

420-magazine-mobile1107031113.jpg

420-magazine-mobile715551865.jpg

420-magazine-mobile561174264.jpg

Smoke em if you got em - it's Saturday night!

Stay on that grind

September 26th

This is the last known photo of the crop in the vegetative stage.

IMG_20160925_133056.jpg

The Sour Diesels are at 3.5 weeks now so after checking under the dress for lady parts, which all 4 plants had, I decided to flip over to flowering stage a few days early. I had originally planned on a full 4 weeks but these ladies are nice and thick already and height in the grow tent is limited.

The tent itself is 4 feet high, minus the height of the "cool tube" light gives me roughly 3.5 ft total plant height. It may not seem like much, but with a little training on the outer branches and topping the main node when necessary I believe you can get a squat plant with a decent yield. I've never grown a Sativa dominant strain like Sour Diesel before so I may be eating those words by the end of this grow!

Check out this stalk development -like it was forged by a blacksmith.

IMG_20160925_133019.jpg

Stay tuned.

September 29th

No signs of flowering on the ladies yet but it's only been a few days since switching. What has changed is the vertical growth, especially on my favorite of the bunch: Sour Diesel #2. This thing is a freak and I love it! I wonder if it used to be that seed with the really aggressive tap root...

Here's an overhead shot I had to take to show you guys the size difference. (The plant on the right is "average" size for my crop)

I'm in love - she's gonna be great.

Hey thanks for the positive feedback. My first two grows were a struggle and I remember looking at pictures of healthy plants on this forum feeling like it was impossible for me to get those results. I'm stoked to see how this one turns out! My goals are modest, just trying to grow enough quality reefer to support personal habits.

Stay on that grind

Hey bud, sorry for the late response. I've been crazy busy with work and life. Really digging "The Grow Under the Stairs" title. Very stealthy. Where do you vent to and stuff? In your earlier posts I saw your desk fan (nice bong btw), are you still using that fan or what do you have going on for airflow? That's a very respectable goal. What was the reason for your past grow struggles? Stoked to see this grow progress! Looking great!

Hey bud, sorry for the late response. I've been crazy busy with work and life. Really digging "The Grow Under the Stairs" title. Very stealthy. Where do you vent to and stuff?

I should take a picture of the vent setup. It's nothing fancy, it vents to a homemade charcoal filter housed in a cardboard box. The cardboard box is to reduce the roaring sound of a cranked up exhaust fan right under the stairs lol I punched the cardboard full of small holes so really it's just slowing down the exhausted air.

In your earlier posts I saw your desk fan (nice bong btw), are you still using that fan or what do you have going on for airflow?

Still using that fan to keep the plants nice and strong. If I was going to give advice to a first time grower, using a small fan on your plants would be it. It makes a big, big difference in how the plants grow. The stems and stalks are noticeably thicker from constantly resisting the wind. Besides the desk fan, the exhaust fan is pulling so much air in a small space that it sucks in the fabric of the tent. If you put your hand in one of the intake sleeves, you can feel a ton of air rushing past so that must count for something.

That's a very respectable goal. What was the reason for your past grow struggles? Stoked to see this grow progress! Looking great!

Past grow struggles were a combination of bad seeds on the first one and lack of knowledge and experience on the second. The first grow only saw 1/5 seeds germinate. The strain was Crop King Seeds "White Voodoo" which has been discontinued (I wonder why?). It grew a thin, weird little plant that hermied.

The second grow I used Promix Potting Soil and only Promix Potting Soil. It wasn't until halfway through flower that I finally caught on to organics. By then it was too late for that crop. They had suffered nute deficiencies for too long and the yield was meh.

I'm almost finished the 1.14 Oz I harvested from last grow. Already this crop is miles ahead of my last one so I'm super stoked to see what happens. I checked under skirts for lady parts last night and I may have seen some thin white hairs starting...

Back
Top Bottom