First Grow Ever - Crop King Seeds Sour Jack Feminine

Week #3
Alright, my girl is smaller than I expected and it sort of concerns me. She lost a little height when I replanted last week, due to putting soil around the base, but not that much and right now at three weeks, she is only 2" tall. She does have two nodes and is very symmetrical with nice color. (See pictures.) The nodes are very close and this could allow for a short bushy plant, that would work well in my small grow area. Here is my analysis of why she is small, based on the 420Mag Thread "What are some causes of slow plant growth?":

Overwatering — Do not think this is the cause, I've been extremely cautious about watering, because of all the reading I have done on this site. When I replanted last week, the roots looked healthy.
Soil with too much bark content — Definite possibility. Looking at the soil last night, I noticed that there really is a lot of bark in the organic mixture that I used. My seeding soil contained 75% vermiculite with 25% organic soil. The soil in the new pot has more of the organic mixture with a 50/50 mixture. It never occurred to me that bark could inhibit growth, but I was already thinking that she looks sort of like a bonsai tree.
Light deprivation — (Min 50W/m2) Considering that I have a 300W LED and I know that it is pulling at least 120W and that I am keeping my lights low due to limits in my grow room and my plant is only about 4 inches square, the light deficiency is not something that I am worried about.
Low nutrient strength — May be a possibility, but I am using a high organic mixture and rain water which has natural nitrogen that makes my yard grow like crazy. I may look for some good organic nutrients, but this won't be my first thing to try.
Nutrient lockup — Considering I haven't added much of anything, this is not a concern. (Maybe I should try more fertilizer?)
Light Spectrum — I am using an LED light from an unknown provider, but the ratio of red to blue looks to be alright, based on what I have read. However, with the abundance of inexpensive LEDs now days, yesterday I went ahead and added a white LED. Maybe this will help, it is an easy thing to try.
pH — I'm growing with soil, so the target is 6.5-7.0. I have a pH meter with a needle instead of
digital readout, so it is hard to tell exactly, but I read it to be 6.9. I really think my pH is OK.
Low Temperatures — (Target 77-86F) Looking at my records, my extremes were 72 and 88, with most days ranging 73-85, so I think this is alright.
Low soil temperature — The soil feels warm on the surface and pushng my finger in, it is not cool to the touch.
Some plants just don't grow well — Next time I will be growing more than a single plant so that I can weed out any runts. I may go ahead and plant my last four seeds now, to see if any grow quicker and to more easily/quickly fill a screen.

My conclusion — Based on what I have read and observed with my grow, I think that the most likely culprit is the bark in my organic soil. I do not want to transplant just yet and having my own Bonsai Pot Plant could be nice, but if I grow the rest of my seeds, I will either filter the bark out and use more vermiculite or try some new soils altogether. Adding another light to make sure I have a good spectrum is easy and I have already started this. I am looking for a good organic fertilizer, to potentially stimulate more growth.

If there are other things that I should consider or try, let me know! :nomo:
Day_19d.JPG
Day_19c.JPG
Day_19b.JPG
Day_19a.JPG

jumpin along to your grow man , GL !
by the way , here my girl on day 24 ( today)
she hitted 3 week 3 day ago , here's a pic for comparison
BTW ; This is after topping and some LST
420-magazine-mobile797287878.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1980221964.jpg

4 LED lamps with 1500 lumens
1 accent LED 1600 lumens
Galaxy Hydro- 7000 lumens

FYI ( these were all the lights I was initially using.) so I combined the 9 band spectrum LED along with some White light!!

Let me know what y'all think!!

- Swishaa

420-magazine-mobile198413212.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1375721467.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1466967689.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1056277447.jpg

All these were taken under the LED light.

Plants stretch when there not getting enough light.... if your nodes are close together that means she's happy cuz she's getting close to perfect lighting intensity... in the first few weeks the plant is trying to grow its roots more than its leafs so the top side of the grow will be kind of slow at first until it gets a good root system established and then it will take off.... I'm no expert but this is my plant which is a super OG Kush about a month after it came out of the soil.... only bout 4 inches tall. And most of the growth has happened within the last 2 weeks ...
420-magazine-mobile1615645747.jpg

Keep good Lighting on it and you will see a constant change every day.... I'll follow your grow and help out along the way if I can
Week #3
Alright, my girl is smaller than I expected and it sort of concerns me. She lost a little height when I replanted last week, due to putting soil around the base, but not that much and right now at three weeks, she is only 2" tall. She does have two nodes and is very symmetrical with nice color. (See pictures.) The nodes are very close and this could allow for a short bushy plant, that would work well in my small grow area. Here is my analysis of why she is small, based on the 420Mag Thread "What are some causes of slow plant growth?":

Overwatering — Do not think this is the cause, I've been extremely cautious about watering, because of all the reading I have done on this site. When I replanted last week, the roots looked healthy.
Soil with too much bark content — Definite possibility. Looking at the soil last night, I noticed that there really is a lot of bark in the organic mixture that I used. My seeding soil contained 75% vermiculite with 25% organic soil. The soil in the new pot has more of the organic mixture with a 50/50 mixture. It never occurred to me that bark could inhibit growth, but I was already thinking that she looks sort of like a bonsai tree.
Light deprivation — (Min 50W/m2) Considering that I have a 300W LED and I know that it is pulling at least 120W and that I am keeping my lights low due to limits in my grow room and my plant is only about 4 inches square, the light deficiency is not something that I am worried about.
Low nutrient strength — May be a possibility, but I am using a high organic mixture and rain water which has natural nitrogen that makes my yard grow like crazy. I may look for some good organic nutrients, but this won't be my first thing to try.
Nutrient lockup — Considering I haven't added much of anything, this is not a concern. (Maybe I should try more fertilizer?)
Light Spectrum — I am using an LED light from an unknown provider, but the ratio of red to blue looks to be alright, based on what I have read. However, with the abundance of inexpensive LEDs now days, yesterday I went ahead and added a white LED. Maybe this will help, it is an easy thing to try.
pH — I'm growing with soil, so the target is 6.5-7.0. I have a pH meter with a needle instead of
digital readout, so it is hard to tell exactly, but I read it to be 6.9. I really think my pH is OK.
Low Temperatures — (Target 77-86F) Looking at my records, my extremes were 72 and 88, with most days ranging 73-85, so I think this is alright.
Low soil temperature — The soil feels warm on the surface and pushng my finger in, it is not cool to the touch.
Some plants just don't grow well — Next time I will be growing more than a single plant so that I can weed out any runts. I may go ahead and plant my last four seeds now, to see if any grow quicker and to more easily/quickly fill a screen.

My conclusion — Based on what I have read and observed with my grow, I think that the most likely culprit is the bark in my organic soil. I do not want to transplant just yet and having my own Bonsai Pot Plant could be nice, but if I grow the rest of my seeds, I will either filter the bark out and use more vermiculite or try some new soils altogether. Adding another light to make sure I have a good spectrum is easy and I have already started this. I am looking for a good organic fertilizer, to potentially stimulate more growth.

If there are other things that I should consider or try, let me know! :nomo:
Day_19d.JPG
Day_19c.JPG
Day_19b.JPG
Day_19a.JPG

Good Morning Spaceman,

Your little one is looking fine...ok, perhaps it could be bigger for its age, but, judging by the leaves (they tell us lots of things), it appears to be relatively happy. Like CannibCody mentioned at this stage of her life, she's doing a lot of growing under the soil and being as small as she is, she can only generate so much energy, so they tend to grow a little slow, at least in terms of what you can see. Likewise, if you have her in a large pot, compared to her size, this too will sometimes slow her visible growth as she searches out all that room you're giving her. Conversely, having all that room and soil (if this is even the case, I couldn't find where you mentioned the pot size) will sometimes cause the medium to be a little cooler than perhaps a smaller pot and this will affect her growth some too. I highly doubt the bark in your mix is your issue; again your girl's leaves certainly don't suggest it. Side note: As much as none of us want to 'over water', sometimes we take such a huge stance against doing it, we tend to 'under water' which obviously isn't any better. Just keep your eye on her, as you're doing and I think you'll be fine. I've seen many a small plant just getting by, day after day and then 'bam'...they take off and end up being monsters...don't fret. You're doing fine.

Thanks for the reassurance! She does look healthy and I skipped the medium pot and went straight to a large pot (close to 5 gallons), so the idea that her roots are reaching out makes sense to me. Hope I don't end up with a monster in my closet!

Last night a thought came to me and I started considering adding worms to the soil. Seems like a simple thing to do and I thought it could help with soil development and root growth. Maybe help with releasing nutrients from the organic matter too. Have you every tried this? Are there any negatives? I'll do some reading, but if you have thoughts, I would like to hear them. Discussion is good!

:thanks:

I personally have never tried worms , though i've never heard or read negetaives on them .
some plabts take time to develope , and when they do they blow up . and start slow .
ill go over this post to try and help you figuering the slow growth
sorry for any typo I might make ; not ny native language :)

Spaceman,

I've heard and seen people adding worms to their soil. I think the hurdle would be to keep them alive in a small pot (not that 5 gallons is small, but in terms of worms it may be). I know they require a slightly moist environment to thrive, and by allowing a pot to dry out between watering I wonder if they can be kept alive. However, if you can make it happen, I would definitely do it...those little fellas do wonders for the soil and the plants just love it. I say you try it and see what happens...aside from the cost of getting the worms, you really don't have much to lose.

I'm in the Deep South as well so I'm gonna follow along and pay close attention to nutrients and soils people down here are using! It's been impossible for me to find anything worth a crap around my location. No hydro stores, or anything you can ask any kind of questions at about growing cannabis without repercussions lol I've resorted to ordering everything I've gotten so far; however, I know I'm gonna need nutes in the near future and won't really have time to wait around on shipping or the funds to pay for over nighting it lol anyways..other than being so small your baby looks fine. Everyone above me is spot on with telling you the roots are growing rn not the leaves as much.

LED Bag Seed closet grow

Hope to see some results in your girls soon! Stay patient .

OK, I know that patience is an issue that I need to work on, so I appreciate the support. She is doing well right now, adding another set of leaves and looking good. I did add a single container of Red Wigglers to tickle her roots. Figured that if they die, it is just more organic matter for her feed on. Increasing my watering a little too, still using rain water and the nitrogen as the only added nutrient. Noticed last night, that she has a strong scent for such a small plant, glad that I went ahead and installed the ventilation earlier.

Speaking of ventilation, my make-up air is coming from a dead end hallway and last week, I found a stealth issue (See picture below.) Apparently light travels well through 4" aluminium duct. Simple fix was to place a small piece of aluminum foil behind the vent and reflect the light right back in. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Stealth_Issue.JPG

CC, thanks for the quick response. I've found all sorts of distances for lights, but looks like minimums for LEDs run from they can touch the lights to 10" and the manufacturer recommends 15-25" minimum. I was starting to see just a little brown on a few edges, but not bad. Today when I took her out into more natural light, I noticed one of the older leaves was more yellow then the dark green that has been normal up until now. I plan to keep paying attention and will let you know what happens and maybe post more pictures or comments.

As for the watering, I have been feeling the soil similar to what you suggested and I think that I will start using this method more as I move into larger pots. My grow space is very tight and it is going to be tough to keep larger distances between my plants and the lights by the time they begin flowering. Thanks for the details, I'll learn!

Now time to go research when and how to repot.

So I've been creeping through your posts and was wondering if you guys might be able to help me out. My baby girl is just week and a day old after sprouting the surface and I'm using cfl light bulbs and I'm seeing a very light green on edges of the leafs that I do have now
420-magazine-mobile1127320371.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1990911517.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1612833082.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1206785494.jpg
I've had my light at 2 different stages about 5-6 in from the plant and also right over the plant maybe about an inch or 2 away would this be the reason why I'm seeing the difference in color? Also up untill this point I've been feeding them with distilled water. Would you recommend I add cal-mag also I'm using fox farm nut that I haven't added any yet but will when the time is right. Grow big, bloom and some other one in the same line up. If any response I would really appreciate it as I'm a little concerned about the health of my plant .

So I've been creeping through your posts and was wondering if you guys might be able to help me out. My baby girl is just week and a day old after sprouting the surface and I'm using cfl light bulbs and I'm seeing a very light green on edges of the leafs that I do have now
420-magazine-mobile1127320371.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1990911517.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1612833082.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1206785494.jpg
I've had my light at 2 different stages about 5-6 in from the plant and also right over the plant maybe about an inch or 2 away would this be the reason why I'm seeing the difference in color? Also up untill this point I've been feeding them with distilled water. Would you recommend I add cal-mag also I'm using fox farm nut that I haven't added any yet but will when the time is right. Grow big, bloom and some other one in the same line up. If any response I would really appreciate it as I'm a little concerned about the health of my plant .

You need to be checking your water's pH and making sure it's between 6.4-7.2 (I personally like to stay 6.6-6.8). The light can be kept 2-3 in from the plant without a problem. My best bet is the water and nothing else. How's the drainage of your soil? Make sure you don't overwater and cause extra stress. And you don't need to add anything st this point. Cannabis plants have all the nutrients they need to start themselves and then the soil will carry you for a long time. I'm almost in week 5 and haven't used any kind of nutrients

Back
Top Bottom