Growing Without Bloom Nutes By Farside05

Interesting reading on light meters vs phone light meter apps. Although it does get fairly technical, it's less technical than a similar article I found but didn't link.

DON’T ‘PHONE IT IN’: WHY SMARTPHONES ARE POOR SUBSTITUTES FOR LIGHT METERS

I guess if one wants to play devil's advocate...How do you know the light meter app on your phone is accurate if you don't have an actual light meter to compare it to? Conversely, having a light meter app on your phone gives you a general idea, and that's better than having no information at all.
I might add that the phones used in the article are quite old and dated now. Perhaps sensors are different with a more updated phone. Perhaps not.

I might add that the phones used in the article are quite old and dated now. Perhaps sensors are different with a more updated phone. Perhaps not.

Shit, had too many windows open and copied the wrong link. I linked the overly technical article from 2016 instead of the slightly less technical article from 2018. That's been rectified now. The 2018 article goes into better detail on the construction of the sensors and how they differ, real meters vs a cell phone sensor. There's another layer that cell sensors don't have. Myself, I have a mid level phone, so the processors and sensors of today are comparable to flagship phones of several years ago. Unless you have the latest flagship phone, the articles are probably still pertinent.

Shit, had too many windows open and copied the wrong link. I linked the overly technical article from 2016 instead of the slightly less technical article from 2018. That's been rectified now. The 2018 article goes into better detail on the construction of the sensors and how they differ, real meters vs a cell phone sensor. There's another layer that cell sensors don't have. Myself, I have a mid level phone, so the processors and sensors of today are comparable to flagship phones of several years ago. Unless you have the latest flagship phone, the articles are probably still pertinent.
I dont doubt a meter is better than a phone at measuring light more accurately. It better be.
But the phone app has put me in the ballpark of where I need the light to be. To the point of not using a measuring tape anymore. Its giving me results.
I also dont doubt that I'd like to add a dedicated light meter to the weed toolbelt, cuz tweaking and dialing in is part of the payoff of growing. No?

Welcome DeeCee112! Glad you found
some of the information helpful.

Harvest Results

The Peyote Critical yielded right a 9oz dried.

Triple Cheese was right at 6oz dried.

So 15oz for the grow. Meh. I don't think my expirement of 2 plants, quad-lining, and vegging longer, went very well. I'm going back to my quasi seed of green approach of 4 plants in my space, topping and bowl training, and shorter veg time. My yield seems better using it. I did sample the Triple Cheese this AM. It was a great combo of head and body. Similar to the Blue Dream I enjoy only more intense on both levels. It's pretty damn strong!

Hey fs hows it been going bud good i hope. Ill have to catch up in the journal later 2day as im anout 2 pass out lol. But yea i had a question about the mega crop and sweet candy what is a gud amount to use an also what should i set ph to im using plain promix for a medium if that helps.

For $20 I went the light meter route. After I spent $400 on building my light I didn't think it was a big expense to dial everything in. I've spent way more on a night at the bar than $20...lol. I think where it comes in handiest is the first couple weeks when penetration isn't as important. I can run my light closer and use the dimmer to get to my desired lux and draw about half the juice as if I ran it higher and brighter to get the same lux.

Hey fs hows it been going bud good i hope. Ill have to catch up in the journal later 2day as im anout 2 pass out lol. But yea i had a question about the mega crop and sweet candy what is a gud amount to use an also what should i set ph to im using plain promix for a medium if that helps.

See post 954 on the previous page for my feed schedule. I do not use Sweet Candy. It's very K heavy. I already add a bit more K with my Pro Tekt Silica supplement. Adding any more K could cause Calcium to get locked out from excessive K. You do not want the ratio of N to K to exceed 1:3 or you start dancing a fine line with lockout. You shouldn't need adjust pH with Mega and Pro-Mix. Just mix your powder in a gallon of water and feed. I have found that Mega Crop does like to naturally settle around 6.5-6.6 pH when added to water, which is ideal for growing in Peat based media like Pro-Mix.

For $20 I went the light meter route. After I spent $400 on building my light I didn't think it was a big expense to dial everything in. I've spent way more on a night at the bar than $20...lol. I think where it comes in handiest is the first couple weeks when penetration isn't as important. I can run my light closer and use the dimmer to get to my desired lux and draw about half the juice as if I ran it higher and brighter to get the same lux.

Lol ok so ill jus go get a lux meter then i didnt know they were onpy 20 bux lol. Is there a certain brand tht works better then others? Jus wondering now cause i got a 480w QB light that has a dimmer n i jus been dialing it down via how many turns it takes to go from off to fully on which is 10 complete dial turns then i go back about 3 or 4 dail turns since i cant raise my light any more an the plants are like under 2 inches away from the light lol. So far i havnt gotten any bleaching but there was 2days i was gone during the stretch an she grew up into the light an got a tad burned up on one of the tops. But other then that she is ok lol. Hey u were the one who used mega crop nutes right? What amounts did u use and what ph should i set it to if using promix as a medium. I was thinking 6.3 or should i change it?

See post 954 on the previous page for my feed schedule. I do not use Sweet Candy. It's very K heavy. I already add a bit more K with my Pro Tekt Silica supplement. Adding any more K could cause Calcium to get locked out from excessive K. You do not want the ratio of N to K to exceed 1:3 or you start dancing a fine line with lockout. You shouldn't need adjust pH with Mega and Pro-Mix. Just mix your powder in a gallon of water and feed. I have found that Mega Crop does like to naturally settle around 6.5-6.6 pH when added to water, which is ideal for growing in Peat based media like Pro-Mix.

Ok awesome man thanx an as for the sweet candy would i be ok in using it if i didnt have the pro tekt cause i jus ran out of tht lol.

The Sweet Candy isn't really necessary since they reformulated Mega Crop (version 2 & 3). I prefer the silica from Pro Tekt since Mega only has trace amounts and our plants will use quite a bit of it.

@Blazinjones I have the Urceri meter. It's 1 piece. It works fine but sometimes it's harder to read the display with it being under the bright lights. For a couple dollars more Dr. Meter makes a model where the display and sensor are 2 parts with a coiled cord between them. That way you can hold the display out from under the light, and the sensor under it. I haven't used a Dr. Meter personally, but they get good reviews like the Urceri on Amazon.

Ive been thinkn about that very thing myself what app do u use if u dnt mind me askn? Also how accurate is it does that depend on ur fone?
Lux meter by My Mobile Tools. I have tried several, and it's adjustable if you have something to compare with. Which I don't. But it is nice to see where your light source is the strongest and to move or adjust your light.

Just ordered up one of the Dr meters to give it a shot. Will let you know after I can get some testing on the lights.

Just ordered up one of the Dr meters to give it a shot. Will let you know after I can get some testing on the lights.
Thanks MultiVortex... :)

Ok I used my Lux phone app and the Sun here WA state at the moment read about 81,234 lux. The MarsPro Cree128 Leds from @SmokeSara read 51,200 lux. :)

My phone app vs lux meter results:

So I download the Lux Meter by My Mobile Tool. Out of the box there is a significant difference. Sitting on the desktop, the app reads 272 lux. My light meter shows 88.3. That's a 300% difference.

So I calibrate the phone app to get it as close to the lux meter as possible, within 4 lux or 4% margin of error.

I move the phone and lux meter just 2 foot on the desktop and compare readings again.

Just 2 foot away and now I have a 300% difference between to two measuring devices again. OK, that's low light. How about in the tent? I checked inside at each plant top. My front plants are 17,000 on the lux meter and 20,000 on the back plants. The 3,000 difference is most likely due to having the front door of the tent open and not getting any reflective light from the tent side. The phone app came in at 27,000 across the board. Thats a 35-58% difference. So in low light situations, the phone app reported way less light, and in high light situations, it over reported. I tested it with another app and got similar results. Different phone maybe? My new Coolpad Legacy vs my year and a half older ZTE Blade Max Pro, still about the same. For full disclosure though, the ZTE and Coolpad have basically the same specs. Conclusion...I had no consistency in my results. One moment its under reported, the next its over reported, the numbers on the screen are really meaningless. No stars - would not recommend.

Day 9

Trying to decide if I water them tonight or wait till morning. I really don't think it will matter either way. The girls are plugging along. Always like to see that second set of leaves come in since it's in effect doubling the plants energy capacity. Things usually start picking up after that.

So I download the Lux Meter by My Mobile Tool. Out of the box there is a significant difference. Sitting on the desktop, the app reads 272 lux. My light meter shows 88.3. That's a 300% difference.

So I calibrate the phone app to get it as close to the lux meter as possible, within 4 lux or 4% margin of error.

I move the phone and lux meter just 2 foot on the desktop and compare readings again.

Just 2 foot away and now I have a 300% difference between to two measuring devices again. OK, that's low light. How about in the tent? I checked inside at each plant top. My front plants are 17,000 on the lux meter and 20,000 on the back plants. The 3,000 difference is most likely due to having the front door of the tent open and not getting any reflective light from the tent side. The phone app came in at 27,000 across the board. Thats a 35-58% difference. So in low light situations, the phone app reported way less light, and in high light situations, it over reported. I tested it with another app and got similar results. Different phone maybe? My new Coolpad Legacy vs my year and a half older ZTE Blade Max Pro, still about the same. For full disclosure though, the ZTE and Coolpad have basically the same specs. Conclusion...I had no consistency in my results. One moment its under reported, the next its over reported, the numbers on the screen are really meaningless. No stars - would not recommend.
Cool thanks for checking it. I quess for me I just want it even across the Scrog Screen.

Attachments

• 20191025_155749.jpg
    20191025_155749.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 66
  • 20191025_155710.jpg
    20191025_155710.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 78

Interesting, but I wonder what the 40.00$ meter would calibrate against a $400.00 serious lux photography meter.

Thanks for taking the time to flesh this out!

Interesting, but I wonder what the 40.00$ meter would calibrate against a $400.00 serious lux photography meter.

Thanks for taking the time to flesh this out!

I'll let you do that comparison. Anyone with the title Baron has to have an extra $400 laying around...lol

Back
Top Bottom