Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Re: Hosted Competition - Haight Solid State vs. Hydro Grow LED

That's about what I'm guessing too.

I'm pretty sure I'd be buying a couple of the lights (whichever brand) if they can produce 2 oz./plant in this test. I'm desperate for heat savings for next summer. Don't care that much about the electricity cost, actually.

Why dirt instead of hydroponics or aeroponics?

well, in cammies journal, she said that she thought 1g/w was well within an achievable goal from a decent grower, which i consider you to be (well, IMO, very good which meets the decent requirement.)

so 120-130 g, per tent.

her confidence is encouraging. thanks again for doing this. your like my own personal consumer reports writer.

That's exactly how I'm approaching this comparison, from the perspective of a consumer/customer, so indeed I am striving to be like your personal consumer reports writer ;).

cant wait to see the finish product

High Kathypil! Welcome to 420Mag!

I'm pretty sure I'd be buying a couple of the lights (whichever brand) if they can produce 2 oz./plant in this test. I'm desperate for heat savings for next summer. Don't care that much about the electricity cost, actually.

Growers are going to have different reasons for considering LED's. You seem to be looking for a reasonable yield along with less heat during summer. Others may be more interested in reasonable yield combined with energy savings, and there are probably other needs being considered that LED's might be able to fill.

One other benefit of LED's I don't hear discussed much is less risk of damage to my eyes and skin from exposure when I tend my plants. This benefit probably isn't very important to most growers, but it will factor in to some degree for me.

I'm hoping this grow and journal will raise and help answer some of these issues, and help people who are considering LED's make a good decision.

Glad you're on-board bro, I appreciate your comments and feedback ;).

Why dirt instead of hydroponics or aeroponics?

Simply because that's what I'm familiar with and I wanted to reduce the number of variables as much as possible.

I have no particular loyalty to dirt, it's just what I've been playing in ;)

SS, glad to see you working this grow. I'm setting back quietly and watching this. And just my two cents on yield...obviously we want total weight numbers...but with the difference in wattage, a gram per watt analysis seems the most accurate reading of performance...so make sure you post some total weights so those of us who feel like this can sort it out ourselves. I can't help but feel, with the wattage difference, this is a little like comparing apples to oranges, but the information generated in this grow, from someone who isn't selling something, will be invaluable in determining whether or not the technology is here.

+Rep for putting your head in the tiger's mouth

Hey SS,
have you got a wattage meter?
Would be interesting to see what these lights really drain.
Especially the 126 with the 6 fans.

Also, could you comment on the heat of the units to the touch while they are running?
Does one feel hotter than the other?
Are both similar in heat?

Thanks

Hey SS,
have you got a wattage meter?
Would be interesting to see what these lights really drain.
Especially the 126 with the 6 fans.

Also, could you comment on the heat of the units to the touch while they are running?
Does one feel hotter than the other?
Are both similar in heat?

Thanks

Good questions.

Hi SS,

While you're at it - I have some internal notes on LEDs some folks may be interested in, based on the actual 'light board' (i.e. the footprint of the LEDs themselves, not including the casing or 'margin' between the LED emitters and the edge of the fixture) and the lens angle. I already have #'s for the HGL units, I now need approximate figures for HSS.

My assumption (until I saw your face-on pics) was that the margin for the HSS lights was ~1", so the LED 'footprint' was closer to 13" x 18" (15" x 20" minus the 1" lip). From your pics, the margin appears closer to ~2" or greater. Could you tell me if that is accurate? (i.e. what's the distance from the outermost LED lens to the side of the casing from the sides?)

I'll be happy to put up my #'s when I've cleaned them up a bit. Should be interesting!

Thanks very much!

Regards,

-TL

Thanks for the reply and for doing this test. More interested in how well the technology works as opposed to who wins. If these perform half as well as the ads claim, they would be great for paitients doing small grows. Following with interest.

Thanks for the reply and for doing this test. More interested in how well the technology works as opposed to who wins. If these perform half as well as the ads claim, they would be great for paitients doing small grows. Following with interest.

We know by now that LED's perform well for vegetative growth, and both of these panels should do fine with that.

The question remains as to how they perform in the bloom cycle, and my interest is split about 50/50 between how well the technology works overall, and which light can produce the most bud.

I agree that if they perform half as well as claimed, they would be great for patients doing small personal grows.

Both companies also have smaller and less powerful models would be suitable for even smaller grow spaces. HGL has a 63w model, and HSS has a 90w model.

thanks 123a5678b!

Is there any routine Maintenance the manufactures suggest. Do they mention anything about lifespan expectation in the paper work that came with each unit?
Once Again, Thanks Setting Sun!

Thanks again. Not much info out there on the flowering capabillities other than advertisements by people who have a financial interest in selling these products.
That doesn't mean their claims are untrue, it just makes me a bit skeptical. Nice grow box setup, by the way.

I really can't wait for this grow to unfold. I've been wanting to invest in the HGL product (damn you terrible Cali economy!) and seeing that the HSS LED only weighs in at 3 1/2 pounds, that really intrigues me.

All I ask is that this thread make it to harvest without it being closed down before it ends like so many other LED threads seem to be.

Good luck!

P.S.: I'd love to see the numbers on how many 420Mag users are subscribed to this thread! :nicethread:

Thanks again. Not much info out there on the flowering capabillities other than advertisements by people who have a financial interest in selling these products.
That doesn't mean their claims are untrue, it just makes me a bit skeptical. Nice grow box setup, by the way.
We'll know around the middle of feb. ?? It's gonna be like watching a snail race and wanting both to win !! I think this is about as fair of a demonstration, as we're gonna see. Go SS !! :nicethread:

Hi SS,

While you're at it - I have some internal notes on LEDs some folks may be interested in, based on the actual 'light board' (i.e. the footprint of the LEDs themselves, not including the casing or 'margin' between the LED emitters and the edge of the fixture) and the lens angle. I already have #'s for the HGL units, I now need approximate figures for HSS.

My assumption (until I saw your face-on pics) was that the margin for the HSS lights was ~1", so the LED 'footprint' was closer to 13" x 18" (15" x 20" minus the 1" lip). From your pics, the margin appears closer to ~2" or greater. Could you tell me if that is accurate? (i.e. what's the distance from the outermost LED lens to the side of the casing from the sides?)

I'll be happy to put up my #'s when I've cleaned them up a bit. Should be interesting!

Thanks very much!

Regards,

-TL

Hi TL!

I'm going to update and answer questions later tonight, but I wanted to get the info you requested back to you.

The spacing of the LED's from the edge along the long sides is approximately 53mm, and along the short sides it's approximately 50mm.

looking forward to your info!

SS, glad to see you working this grow. I'm setting back quietly and watching this. And just my two cents on yield...obviously we want total weight numbers...but with the difference in wattage, a gram per watt analysis seems the most accurate reading of performance...so make sure you post some total weights so those of us who feel like this can sort it out ourselves. I can't help but feel, with the wattage difference, this is a little like comparing apples to oranges, but the information generated in this grow, from someone who isn't selling something, will be invaluable in determining whether or not the technology is here.

+Rep for putting your head in the tiger's mouth

Hi SouthernWeed!, and thanks for your comments and support ;).

I plan to carefully document total dry weights for both tents. I don't do wet weights, so it will be at least a couple of weeks after harvest, but I will provide the numbers.

I'm glad that my impartiality helps to provide confidence and credibility. There's way too much BS flying around concerning this technology. I'm not addressing that comment to HGL or HSS, but the industry they're in has been tainted by a lot of wild claims by vendors and subsequent disappointment from consumers.

thanks again brother ;)

I have got to keep an eye on ur journal here bro. I don't know squat about lights so this will be very helpful and informative, reading about the two different styles of lights you are testing. + reps SS.
Dude I'm gonna sit back and :rollit: then :popcorn: and try to learn something.

Is there any routine Maintenance the manufactures suggest. Do they mention anything about lifespan expectation in the paper work that came with each unit?
Once Again, Thanks Setting Sun!

No maintenance information was included with the lights.

I could not locate any information on lifespan expectation on Hydro Grow's website. I was concerned about fan failure and replacement, and I asked HGL about this in a previous thread. Their response was that in the case of fan failure, they could be replaced by the user with telephone guidance from the company.

The following is what I found at Haight's website:

"All of the components used in our lights were designed for long life, we don't use electrolytic capacitors in our power circuits since they can wear out. Our lights are a good value because of the simple design, not by using low cost components."

The opening post of this journal has clickable links to both companies for additional info. If there is more than the above, I couldn't find it.

thanks brother!

My agenda is to see what these lights can do, and to grow as much bud as I can :grinjoint:

the grow room continues to get getting dialed-in, thanks!

We'll know around the middle of feb. ?? It's gonna be like watching a snail race and wanting both to win !! I think this is about as fair of a demonstration, as we're gonna see. Go SS !! :nicethread:

thanks Slowpuffer!

I'd love to have a time machine myself ;).

I can't be thinkin' of harvest dates before the seeds have sprouted, lol.

I have got to keep an eye on ur journal here bro. I don't know squat about lights so this will be very helpful and informative, reading about the two different styles of lights you are testing. + reps SS.
Dude I'm gonna sit back and :rollit: then :popcorn: and try to learn something.

thanks for subscribing MI-grower!

these lights are fairly new technology so we're all learning ;).

Back
Top Bottom