Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Re: Hosted Competition - Haight Solid State vs. Hydro Grow LED

Finally a LED side by side test that can be trusted, thank you setting sun im really glad someone credible is finally doing one of these tests.

Should go someway in answering the 1w vs 6w bulb question.

I find it interesting that 1 of the lights has 6 fans, and the other none,
if you could comment on the noise factor, that would be great, can you hear the 6 fans working when the test is closed?

And just from looking at the pictures i did wonder how the tent with the haight was drawing air, is it from the back?

Ok, many thanks for doing this.

These lights use very different designs as regards cooling and viewing angle.

As you've noted, the HGL panel uses six top-mounted pc fans, while the Haight panel is passively cooled by spreading the LED's out over a larger area.

The Haight panel emits an electronic buzz that is easily heard with my ears a foot away, but fades quickly with distance. Standing three feet away, I can barely hear it. In my opinion, the noise would not be objectionable in typical grow environments.

The HGL panel does make significantly more noise, but the fans appear to be of good quality, and although my S&P exhaust fans are quiet as exhaust fans go, they pretty much drown it out. The thin tent walls do very little to muffle noise, and with the exhaust fans turned off, I can hear the panel's fans pretty much the same whether the tent is zipped or open. I don't generally run my lights with the exhaust fans turned off, so the noise from the HGL's fans is not objectionable to me.

I can't comment on how much noise multiple HGL units would make in a larger grow room, but in my opinion, a single unit would not be objectionably noisy in typical grow environments.

As far as ventilation, both tents are set up the same. Intake is passive through three flapped vents at the bottom sides and back. In the summer, the exhaust fans mounted on top of the tents exhaust through 4" ducts into the attic, but with the cold weather, I disconnected the ducts because I don't want to exhaust all the heat out of the garage. That ducting you see in that pic are the two disconnected ducts that I taped together to keep them out of the way.

thanks for your kind words and support!

if you need any other details, don't hesitate to ask ;)

Beautiful. Simply Beautiful.

Could you say a bit more about the last two shots? What are all those cool looking electronics for? (gawd, I just love things with buttons). And how will the water cooler and sprayer be used?

I know what the bud was for ;) looks like you had a long night...

I have three grow areas in my room. Two tents and the cab that those computer power distribution panels are sitting on.

I use one of those panels for each grow space and they work like power strips except that they provide switches (buttons) for *each* individual outlet. The a/c outlets are located at the back of the panels and are controlled by the buttons in front.

Each tent has two power strips mounted on the back poles. One strip is always on, the other is switched with my lights. Once it's set up, it makes it real easy to plug stuff in without having to run additional cords.

I also like to have individual control over the circulation and exhaust fans in both tents and my cab.

Having that degree of control over three grow areas takes a lot of buttons, but like you, I've always loved buttons, dials and switches ;).

I use the 5-gallon Igloo beverage cooler to store and dispense the R/O water that I use on my grows. The garden sprayer helps me easily reach pots at the back of the tent with water/nutes.

yep, it was a long night. The bud was my reward for not smelling any smoke when I flipped the switch ;).

thanks usul, I appreciate your questions and your support bro!

Nice Job SS.... Everything is looking good, this is going to be a great show... I am looking forward to seeing these LED's perform.... :goodjob::popcorn:

What tents are you using? I never realized how compact those haight lights are. Its interesting how much different the light is that each gives out.

Secret Jardin DR-80 tents, 32" X 32" X 64".

Yep, to the eye, the spectrum is different. It's hard to describe the difference, but the HGL output seems whiter, while the Haight output seems more pinkish-purple.

Both lights are fairly compact and easy to set up. One important advantage to these panels that I really haven't heard people mention is that by their low profile and close distance to the canopy, they gain you some vertical grow space.

The Haight light is especially good in this regard, gaining me over one foot of extra vertical grow space over an HID light. In a 64" tent, this is a *huge* benefit.

thanks WarBux79, I'm glad you're following this grow and looking forward to your feedback!

I'm interested in learning about the difference between the two lights. Now first--the Haight light is in the tent to the left, the Hydro to the right? One has fans, one is a nice tidy flat panel with no fans. What are the LED configurations? How many of them, how many watts each, what angle of illumination and what color temperatures? This will outline the inherent differences between the two lights themselves, and give us all a better idea of what to look for in LED light construction features once all the data of this grow from start to finish is logged. :battingeyelashes:

Someone already answered which light is which (thank you) ;), so lets move on to your other questions, which I will do my best to answer.

As you've noted, the physical design and implementation of the LED's are quite different.

These are the general specs of the HGL 126w Penetrator panel from their website:

# Maximum Coverage Area of 24" x 36" @ 12" above your canopy, with a Primary Lighting Area of 18" x 30"
# Full Spectrum: 440nm, 470nm, 640nm, 660nm, white + IR
# 70% Red, 10% Blue, 20% White
# Uses (126) 1W High Power LED's
# Intense 60 Degree (STD) or 30 Degree (optional) Viewing Angles (the panel for this grow is the standard 60 degree)
# Light output of nearly 5000 lumens
# 6 Top Quality Cooling Fans
# Low Weight: 21 lbs
# Measures approximately 19" long, 12.5" wide, and 3.5" tall

These are the general specs of the Haight PPF-800 panel:

Covers approximately 2 sq meters (50 x 60 inches)
31 - 6W LEDs
Red, blue and white LEDs for a complete spectrum
140 degree viewing angle
Uses only 190W typical
Separate High/Low power control for blue/white and red
15 x 20 x 1 inch
3.5 lbs

For more specific technical information on the number of each color and wavelength of the LED's, you will need to contact the respective manufacturers by clicking on the links in the opening post.

thanks Irish!

glad you're on-board Eagle1!

Nice Job SS.... Everything is looking good, this is going to be a great show... I am looking forward to seeing these LED's perform.... :goodjob::popcorn:

thanks bro!

this should be a fun and informative grow!

I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform also. The results will help to determine whether I continue to use them or go back to my HID lights.

PLANT'S-EYE VIEW

HPIM1644_Medium.JPG

HAIGHT SOLID STATE

HPIM1646_Medium.JPG

HYDRO GROW LED

These pics are to show the LED configuration for each panel.

Hi Sun
This going to be a well followed grow. Look at the crowd that's already here and there will be many more to join along. With your usual attention to detail It will not only be a demonstration of the two LEDs, it will be a lesson in growing for us all.

By the way that's a nice pipe:grinjoint:

Thanks for the new pics - very interesting to see how different they are.

I'm growing in a DR60 tent - 24x24x54 so the vertical height savings would be a real bonus for me. The other issue for me is heat so as you get in to the grow I'll be very interested in your thoughts about how much heat these units generate.

Many thanks!

So... the seeds get wet today??

:goodjob: so far SS. You're doin great Mr. LED Meistro ;)

Hi Sun
This going to be a well followed grow. Look at the crowd that's already here and there will be many more to join along. With your usual attention to detail It will not only be a demonstration of the two LEDs, it will be a lesson in growing for us all.

By the way that's a nice pipe:grinjoint:

I thought you would recognize it ;).

thanks OMM!

EDIT: What are the 36 LED-looking things in the corners on the Haight?

as tbrad mentioned, they look like ventilation holes.

Thanks for the new pics - very interesting to see how different they are.

I'm growing in a DR60 tent - 24x24x54 so the vertical height savings would be a real bonus for me. The other issue for me is heat so as you get in to the grow I'll be very interested in your thoughts about how much heat these units generate.

Many thanks!

So... the seeds get wet today??

I will definitely report on how much heat they generate. Yep, the seeds get planted today :woohoo:

:goodjob: so far SS. You're doin great Mr. LED Meistro ;)

thanks brother!

damn it SS, I go to the john, and when i return there's already 4 pages. lol.

i have a couple more questions for you (and perhaps cammie or some haight person that may want to add their 2 cents)

what is your final goal here? should we consider this an even steven test? or should we look at this as a g/w equivalency? the HGL is only about 65% of the power of the Haight. If the HGL tent produces 65% dry wt of the haight is that a tie or a win? do you have a target dry wt. for this? if you can pull 1/4 lb, i might hop on the bandwagon.

well defined goals will help comparison. (personally i might consider $$$/gram, lol since the haight is about 50% more watts, but only 30% more expensive) but the proof will be in the finish.

this grow will be epic bro. like everyone else, will really enjoy an objective hand (that i know and trust) running this comparison test.

as always, will be around for support and entertainment, and will prob not be very quiet.

I feel at liberty to say that HGL does not believe they are at a disadvantage even with the lower wattage and desire to just go heads up with Haight.

I'd think that total yield for each light would be the primary goal as to which light wins, although I'm sure some growers might have goals and needs other than total yield.

thank you for your confidence and support wheelo, and very happy that you will be participating ;).

I currently don't have any targets for dry weight. Is that 1/4 lb per tent or total for both tents?

I feel at liberty to say that HGL does not believe they are at a disadvantage even with the lower wattage and desire to just go heads up with Haight.

I'd think that total yield for each light would be the primary goal as to which light wins, although I'm sure some growers might have goals and needs other than total yield.

thank you for your confidence and support wheelo, and very happy that you will be participating ;).

I currently don't have any targets for dry weight. Is that 1/4 lb per tent or total for both tents?

well, in cammies journal, she said that she thought 1g/w was well within an achievable goal from a decent grower, which i consider you to be (well, IMO, very good which meets the decent requirement.)

so 120-130 g, per tent.

her confidence is encouraging. thanks again for doing this. your like my own personal consumer reports writer.

Back
Top Bottom