Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - Haight Solid State vs. Hydro Grow LED

I'm not sure why i find it so suprising that genetics plays that big of a role. it seems obvious...but then I look at that little seed...and from that point I look at all this TLC, $$$, hard work...all the relentless effort. Then you get this BIG, beautiful plant! With great big buds that smell great, feel firm...you dry 'em, cure 'em, roll 'em up, smoke 'em, they taste like heaven. Some of the best tasting pot you've ever smoked. And you're proud because YOU grew it! But then, over the next 15 or 20 minutes, you still hold out thinking maybe it's creaper...then 30 or 45 minutes and you are slack jawed...totally dumbfounded. WTF??? That's not a feeling I'd wish on anyone and I'd like to think I'm the only unfortunate soul to have gone through that...
You are definately not the only one, and this is why, if you're fortunate enough to know someone that will sell or give you some quality clones, you're away ahead of the game. No dought about it !! Even if you buy clones from the dispenceries , they can't and wont guarantee you that they all are from the same mama !! So it's still a crap shoot !! I preach regeneration !! .:thumb::yahoo:

You are definately not the only one, and this is why, if you're fortunate enough to know someone that will sell or give you some quality clones, you're away ahead of the game. No dought about it !! Even if you buy clones from the dispenceries , they can't and wont guarantee you that they all are from the same mama !! So it's still a crap shoot !! I preach regeneration !! .:thumb::yahoo:

I've got some white widow growin' but not original (seedsman)...I'm sure it'll be great. Fact is I've had some "great" strains and I wasn't really impressed, probably because the way it was grown...(trainwreck was awful..bubblegum was equivelant to schwag...). So I wondered about genetics...but now that I've really tried to do well with hermie-prone bagseed, I think, "ok...you gotta start with quality then go from there.." I don't think you can start with, say, seeds from Mexian brick and expect to make something extraordinary. (I didn't..it was a sativa, maybe a hybrid but unknown. VERY lanky, even with lots of nitrogen and lots of fans blowing them around...good fertile soil and temps just what the doctor ordered...didn't matter.

wow thanks man. I'm not though! lol. I've got some white widow growin' but not original (seedsman)...I'm sure it'll be great. Fact is I've had some "great" strains and I wasn't really impressed, probably because the way it was grown...(trainwreck was awful..bubblegum was equivelant to schwag...). So I wondered about genetics...but now that I've really tried to do well with hermie-prone bagseed, I think, "ok...you gotta start with quality then go from there.." I don't think you can start with, say, seeds from Mexian brick and expect to make something extraordinary. (I didn't..it was a sativa, maybe a hybrid but unknown. VERY lanky, even with lots of nitrogen and lots of fans blowing them around...good fertile soil and temps just what the doctor ordered...didn't matter.
While I will agree that soil, care and know how counts for a lot, genetics is the one aspect of growing above everything else, that can't be discounted. It is what it is !! Good luck !! :thumb::yahoo:

While I will agree that soil, care and know how counts for a lot, genetics is the one aspect of growing above everything else, that can't be discounted. It is what it is !! Good luck !! :thumb::yahoo:

I couldn't agree with you more.The plant genetics makes all the difference. Experience counts for a bit too. I haven't seen my bud in a while around our meeting place here but I saw him more then double my normal haul with Green House's WW. I usually get just over a p for a 4x4 table. Last I talked to him he's helping another buddy of ours and says he's found the "motherload".LOL...Can't wait to see that one!:peacetwo:

DAY 46 BLOOM

IMG_5565.JPG

The HSS light has been down 3-4" above the canopy for three weeks. Right after taking this set of pics, I staked the 38" tall HSS 2 plant, as she was starting to lean and I didn't want to take any chances on her falling over or snapping her main stem.

Whatever variable this might introduce has far less impact than having either of those things happen.

IMG_5570.JPG

IMG_5566.JPG

IMG_5578.JPG

IMG_5580.JPG

IMG_5588.JPG

IMG_5591.JPG

IMG_5598.JPG

IMG_5627.JPG

IMG_5629.JPG

IMG_56331.JPG

IMG_56201.JPG

IMG_5624.JPG

IMG_5615.JPG

IMG_5605.JPG

Progress is slow but steady.

The HGL pots are drying out every 2-3 days, and the HSS pots every 4-5 days.

All the plants are healthy and doing well.

thanks for following!

Looking good.:bongrip:

look at all those empty power strips! That must be nice...you oughta see mine!

SS, are you planning to prune back any of the fan leaves? It would be right about now that I would take some of them out to allow more penetration, but some people just won't do it.

Just curious.

I'll continue watching.

SS, are you planning to prune back any of the fan leaves? It would be right about now that I would take some of them out to allow more penetration, but some people just won't do it.

Just curious.

I'll continue watching.

Fold, no CHOP! Bend and tie, no CHOP! Plant Mutilator, does your mom know about that? :ganjamon: Just teasing. I honestly don't believe a few bottom fans missing will matter, but my little sensitive/hot soil girl would of ate her sugar leaves instead of her fans if they had been missing...just a thought. They are little nutrient reservoir's, like I am not really stressed about the deficiency Tess is showing as she has plenty of fans to chew on, and she is a hermi bitch....so if she dies, she dies :ganjamon:.

Guess I would fall in the no cut fan leaf crowd. :thumb:

:peace:

Once again, great update SS!

I think it is pretty clear that the HGL light is doing a better job than the HSS.

I think this is due to the design of the HSS, which uses all 6W LEDs. The problem with these high power chips is that they produce less actual light than 6 x 1W LEDs (output per Watt drops above 1W). Also, 6W LEDs are not available in 660nm, so I assume all the reds in the HSS model are 630nm. Added to this is the fact that the HSS also uses more non-targeted colors, i.e. white, which is likely the reason behind the more significant stretch over the HGL unit.

Given these factors and the fact that the HGL focuses more light downward with its 60° lens angles than the wasteful 140° of the HSS, it is hardly surprising that the HGL light is performing better. Although the HSS uses more power, it probably produces less total PAR light.

SS, you're doing a great job on this test :goodjob:, but I don't think we're really comparing apples with apples here. If you have the time and inclination, I would love to see the HGL unit go up against the jumbo UFO from Prosource in an "Irishboyesque" grow-off! Bring it on! :ganjamon:

Hey SS...

What's next bro? After this test?

Eye-balling any new genetics??

Just curious.

-Go

Yep, been eye-balling lots of strains, and I may have a fairly local source for clones, so I'm going to investigate that too.

Know of any short-medium height indoor sativas with reasonable bloom times? lol

If I LST my next grow, I think super lemon haze may be in the running, but there's lots of fun options.

thanks Go ;)

Looking good.:bongrip:

thanks bro ;)

look at all those empty power strips! That must be nice...you oughta see mine!

You should see what's on the other end of those power strips ;). I like to keep the inside of the tents clean and simple, so I do all the switching and control outside with several computer-style A/C switch boxes that sit on top of my trusty little cab. All cordage (and there's a lot of it with three grow spaces) is kept off the ground by bicycle hooks along the side wall of my grow room and then down to the top of the cab where I exercise the illusion of control ;).

I love buttons, dials, knobs and switches, but inside the tents it's open and simple for the ladies. Each tent has two power strips, one switched with the lights and one not, so it's very easy to add things that are switched with the lights or separate from them, such as heating mats, fans, fan controllers, side-lighting, etc.

Part of the reason I love to grow is playing with all the fun tech ;).

Just curious.

I'll continue watching.

Hi SW!

I don't usually prune or otherwise remove fans, but this strain has such huge fans that I've thought about it.

If this wasn't a comparison grow, I'd be thinking harder about it, but one group, the bushier HGL plants, would benefit far more from it than the HSS group with it's more open branching, so I think it would throw things off.

My plan with this grow, from the get-go, was to just let 'em go with as little intervention as possible, so as to keep things as equal between the groups as I can.

I do agree, however, that some pruning of the upper fans at this point in the bloom cycle would be a good thing, especially in the HGL tent.

thanks brother ;)

Fold, no CHOP! Bend and tie, no CHOP! Plant Mutilator, does your mom know about that? :ganjamon: Just teasing. I honestly don't believe a few bottom fans missing will matter, but my little sensitive/hot soil girl would of ate her sugar leaves instead of her fans if they had been missing...just a thought. They are little nutrient reservoir's, like I am not really stressed about the deficiency Tess is showing as she has plenty of fans to chew on, and she is a hermi bitch....so if she dies, she dies :ganjamon:.

Guess I would fall in the no cut fan leaf crowd. :thumb:

:peace:

I've been very tempted to tuck fan leaves out of the way, but I'm not comfortable doing even that with this grow.

Sometimes I think I'm being silly or overly cautious with stuff like this, but this isn't a regular med grow, so I can't approach it the same way.

thanks MH ;)

I've been very tempted to tuck fan leaves out of the way, but I'm not comfortable doing even that with this grow.

Sometimes I think I'm being silly or overly cautious with stuff like this, but this isn't a regular med grow, so I can't approach it the same way.

thanks MH ;)

good point....youve done a perfect job on this whole operation....:goodjob:

Once again, great update SS!

I think it is pretty clear that the HGL light is doing a better job than the HSS.

I think this is due to the design of the HSS, which uses all 6W LEDs. The problem with these high power chips is that they produce less actual light than 6 x 1W LEDs (output per Watt drops above 1W). Also, 6W LEDs are not available in 660nm, so I assume all the reds in the HSS model are 630nm. Added to this is the fact that the HSS also uses more non-targeted colors, i.e. white, which is likely the reason behind the more significant stretch over the HGL unit.

Given these factors and the fact that the HGL focuses more light downward with its 60° lens angles than the wasteful 140° of the HSS, it is hardly surprising that the HGL light is performing better. Although the HSS uses more power, it probably produces less total PAR light.

SS, you're doing a great job on this test :goodjob:, but I don't think we're really comparing apples with apples here.

They are *very* different in design, which is one of the reasons I've refrained from commenting on which light is doing better until the grow is done.

If they were similar in design, I'd be more inclined to comment, but the HSS light may yet show us something unexpected. I would not say that it's 140 degree angle is "wasting light", especially when matched up with the highly reflective walls of my DR-80 tents. It just delivers the lumens in a very different manner than the more conventionally designed HGL panel.

The HSS light depends on reflective walls at a certain distance in order to maximize it's beam pattern, and I've provided that.

You can tell how different the spectra are between the lights just by looking at them side-by-side, so that's something else that may kick in later for the HSS.

Although all along I've been hesitant to comment on which light is doing better, I'm not going to pull any punches when all is said and done.

These lights aren't inexpensive, and everyone following this grow deserves a straight and honest appraisal from me as to how I think they've done with this style of grow.

If you have the time and inclination, I would love to see the HGL unit go up against the jumbo UFO from Prosource in an "Irishboyesque" grow-off! Bring it on! :ganjamon:

Well, if I don't have a stroke before I finish this grow, who knows what's on the horizon? ;)

thanks man!

SS, I must admit that the hgl is starting to widen the gap, and looks like a run-a-way win. Is it still covering the 4 plants, or do you move the plants so each get their fair share of light ?? And i'd love to see a pic. of the two culled plants , today ??

It's nearly impossible now to rotate or move the plants around without damaging them, so I haven't done so for about the last two weeks.

The HGL light continues at 8-10" above the canopy. It's not covering the canopy completely, but at that height, it's covering it surprisingly well considering the 60 degree beam angle. I'd estimate that about 60-70% of the canopy is getting direct light.

thanks Slowpuffer!

It's nearly impossible now to rotate or move the plants around without damaging them, so I haven't done so for about the last two weeks.

The HGL light continues at 8-10" above the canopy. It's not covering the canopy completely, but at that height, it's covering it surprisingly well considering the 60 degree beam angle. I'd estimate that about 60-70% of the canopy is getting direct light.

thanks Slowpuffer!
I guess that's a good reason to have the walls really close to the plants. So the hgl would work better in a 3x3 space, instead of 4x4. And a short roof may help also. My tent is 4x4x7.5 so not compact enough . Hope you're right about the hss making a come back, but I don't expect it !! Another question for my inquisitive mind, do you think that bacause the beam is more compact, could you raise the hgl, and cover more space and still have enough ump ??:welldone::surf::peacetwo:

Back
Top Bottom