Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - Haight Solid State vs. Hydro Grow LED

Just a side question:

Does anyone know of any examples of a successful LED grow that yielded more than 1 lb OR yielded a solid g/w that I can see a journal of?

Thanks.

:peace::rollit:

Didn't Irishboy do a complete comparison with final dry weights?

Just a side question:

Does anyone know of any examples of a successful LED grow that yielded more than 1 lb OR yielded a solid g/w that I can see a journal of?

Thanks.

Here's one I know of, but it wasn't a pure LED grow as some CFL was added in the last couple weeks.

I don't think the additional CFL was entirely responsible for the excellent results.

Roadrunner 126 Watt LED Via DWC

nope.

I do think their G/W ratings would be pretty high, however. I don't see how you could grow a pound with these lights. Maybe with 10 of them....

But consider the cost! Also, judging from this journal, they seem to take a while to finish.

I agree with everything you just said. I guess that's what's confusing me. I am really trying to like these lights - but no matter how I crunch the numbers I can't find a single application where they'd be better than their alternative.

This is a fantastic journal, and I really feel like I have a sense of what the best the lights can do. It sounds easy to "remove the grower from the picture" as SS has done - but really that's incredibly difficult to do. He has made it look so easy. And further - I agree with every growing decision he's made (not something I usually do ;) ) - so I feel like I'm seeing exactly what I needed to see from this journal.

And so far I'm seeing really good veg lights and average flowering lights.

So basically it seems to me that unless someone can show me a journal where someone has successfully grown a lb or gotten a SOLID g/w then I just don't see how I can waste any more mental energy on LEDs. I simply have not seen one example of them producing enough smoke to keep me medicated, let alone anyone else. I'll wait for plasma.

Sorry - I totally did not mean to rant. Just got medicated. But I think those are pretty fair points so I'll leave it there.

EDIT: Was just thinking someone needs to do a real tight scrog as was bantered about. Holes no more than 1" square, a bud site in every hole, and max it out. I think that might make the numbers work very well. Exceptional in fact.

nope.

I do think their G/W ratings would be pretty high, however. I don't see how you could grow a pound with these lights. Maybe with 10 of them....

But consider the cost! Also, judging from this journal, they seem to take a while to finish.

I see these lights as being a possible solution for small personal grows. I suppose one could buy multiple units for a larger op, but the only reason to do so would be heat issues and the new HO and VHO T5's would solve that nicely for less money.

T5's are not just veg lights anymore.

As far as finishing times, these plants finished in 8 weeks, which is average for this strain so I'm not sure they took longer, although I don't have anything to compare to.

thanks doc ;)

Maybe my first post was moderated, but I grew a damned fine LR#2 with an Aerogarden and a 63w unit from HGL. Yield was around 50gm dry, and I scrogged like mad.

Mostly two things. First, the relatively low wattage of these lights is not going to produce massive buds no matter what, and second, the grow style was generic and not optimized for either light.

Optimizing the grow style would have increased the yield, but massive buds aren't going to be in the equation. There just isn't enough light energy to do that.

I believe my photos will negate your statements. For 63w, in an essentially "toy" hydro system made what most would consider, for LR#2, pretty massive buds.

63w HGL LED Album

I agree with everything you just said. I guess that's what's confusing me. I am really trying to like these lights - but no matter how I crunch the numbers I can't find a single application where they'd be better than their alternative.

This is a fantastic journal, and I really feel like I have a sense of what the best the lights can do. It sounds easy to "remove the grower from the picture" as SS has done - but really that's incredibly difficult to do. He has made it look so easy. And further - I agree with every growing decision he's made (not something I usually do ;) ) - so I feel like I'm seeing exactly what I needed to see from this journal.

So basically it seems to me that unless someone can show me a journal where someone has successfully grown a lb or gotten a SOLID g/w then I just don't see how I can waste any more mental energy on LEDs. I simply have not seen one example of them producing enough smoke to keep me medicated, let alone anyone else. I'll wait for plasma.

Sorry - I totally did not mean to rant. Just got medicated. But I think those are pretty fair points so I'll leave it there.

EDIT: Was just thinking someone needs to do a real tight scrog as was bantered about. Holes no more than 1" square, a bud site in every hole, and max it out. I think that might make the numbers work very well. Exceptional in fact.

This is the kind of thinking and discussion I was hoping this journal would stimulate.

I'm not ready to chime in fully yet, because we don't have the final results, but I will fully engage when all the data is in.

thanks PG ;)

Maybe my first post was moderated, but I grew a damned fine LR#2 with an Aerogarden and a 63w unit from HGL. Yield was around 50gm dry, and I scrogged like mad.

I believe my photos will negate your statements. For 63w, in an essentially "toy" hydro system made what most would consider, for LR#2, pretty massive buds.

63w HGL LED Album

Well, "massive" is a relative term.

Around these parts, growers like PitViper, Be Irie, and a few others have set the bar pretty high when it comes to "massive", but your buds are big and beautiful, especially for 63w!

Thanks for chiming in ;)

Well, "massive" is a relative term.

Around these parts, growers like PitViper, Be Irie, and a few others have set the bar pretty high when it comes to "massive", but your buds are big and beautiful, especially for 63w!

Thanks for chiming in ;)

Gotta admit though, that 63w, and an AeroGarden made for that particular setup, amazing buds. I hope you will tailor your grow to the LEDs, if you plan on keeping them.

If not, I know a certain person that would willingly buy it and use it well!
:ganjamon:

Hey SS,
My doctor told me the leaves and stems have a higher level of CBD in them than the bud does. She said to dry the leaves and stems real good and then crush them. Then you mix the crushed leaves and stems in a crock pot or double boiler with cocoa butter for an hour. Strain it thru cheese cloth. Then store in a jar or bottle in a dark place. It last for 2-3 months.

She said the CBD soaks into the skin to help with muscle pain and joint pain. It doesn't get you high.

Just tossing that out there since you're about to have some to work with. I bet it smells better than aspercream.

Skin is generally a good barrier, so unless there's some carrier in the mix that would help the CBD penetrate the skin, I'm not sure how it would be absorbed into muscle tissue, but that doesn't mean I think your doc is wrong, just that I don't understand the mechanism.

Sounds pretty easy to make, so I may give it a shot.

These VK's have huge fan leaves, so there's going to be lots of rough trim.

The fine trim has lots of trichs, so I may try to cure it slowly like tobacco leaves.

I was gonna make gumby hash with all the trim, but now I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with it until I'm staring at it after harvest.

thanks Cephas ;)

I checked out the other journal - the quick one - is a great grow. I think that's a great application for those lights.

On another note about the CBDs and absorption. There are actually quite a few studies now using highly concentrated cannabanoids as topical application for skin cancer. Not only is it being shown to stop and even reverse the cancer - its the only treatment known so far that does not also harm the neighboring cells. In fact it rejuvenates them.

And then you see this and the adrenalin starts going and you start hoping...I don't think a Scrog will do it..my friend just tried it with the same results.BTW before you ask the spectrum for the LED lights were put together by the grower and his friends so they are not available for sale!It's a foreign journal so if you want the link you'll have to PM.

829882921.jpg

Skin is generally a good barrier, so unless there's some carrier in the mix that would help the CBD penetrate the skin, I'm not sure how it would be absorbed into muscle tissue, but that doesn't mean I think your doc is wrong, just that I don't understand the mechanism.

Sounds pretty easy to make, so I may give it a shot.

These VK's have huge fan leaves, so there's going to be lots of rough trim.

The fine trim has lots of trichs, so I may try to cure it slowly like tobacco leaves.

I was gonna make gumby hash with all the trim, but now I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with it until I'm staring at it after harvest.

thanks Cephas ;)

So I'm not sure yet, but it seems that as far as % of THC and cannabinoids being used in processing your trash, I heard you can get 80% by making cannabutter, which I think is much higher than what you get separating trichs... maybe you can do better with very expensive equipment. am I off? I coulda asked this under the proper forum but at the moment it seems on topic...

The cocoa butter would be the carrier. The skin really is not that great of a barrier, just to water. Your cell membranes are fat so fat can be incorporated into them easily. I would think a more penetrating oil like jojoba or castor??? would bring CBD to the muscle better. Oils are used a lot in herbal remedies and each has very distinct prosperities. This is interesting I have never heard of doing that but want to look into it.

:peace:

On the other hand, if you did the same thing with HID, the results would be much better, if what we've seen so far is the case.

I don't see any savings on power usage with these, nor do I see any advantage to yield. And I'm beginning to doubt that you could see any unwanted heat relief with them if you have to match watts with HIDs. The convenience and increasing ability to change the makeup of individual lights is what's keeping me semi-interested in LEDs, and at this point that's the only thing.

the only reason to do so would be heat issues and the new HO and VHO T5's would solve that nicely for less money.

T5's are not just veg lights anymore.

Hey SS congrats on bringing this to conclusion. One of the best journals ever! I've learned so much from what you have reported.

I can't wait till you do a comparison grow of HID vs T-5. I'm running a 12 bulb Solar Flare VHO and a 12 bulb Bad Boy HO. Besides the benefit of less heat, equal distribution of light and the ability to put them within 6" of the plants you get the ability of adjusting the spectrum as you move through the flowering cycle. I start the plants flowering under the badboy using 6-3000k bulbs and 6-6500k bulbs and every week swapped out 2 or the 6500k's with 3000K's. At 4 weeks the whole 4x4 bed is rolled over to the solar flare VHO that is running 10-3000K bulbs and 2-6500k for the final 4 weeks. Still tweaking it but it is really impressive so far! Going to be doing a journal as soon as I get it dialed in a little better. First batch is AK48, next batch I'm adding a few Jock Horror and batch after that some raspberry cough.

take care and happy harvesting! BTR

On the other hand, if you did the same thing with HID, the results would be much better, if what we've seen so far is the case.

I don't see any savings on power usage with these, nor do I see any advantage to yield. And I'm beginning to doubt that you could see any unwanted heat relief with them if you have to match watts with HIDs. The convenience and increasing ability to change the makeup of individual lights is what's keeping me semi-interested in LEDs, and at this point that's the only thing.

I politely disagree. Too an extent that is. The yield is troubling but not unexpected considering the low wattage which simply equates to less photons bouncing around. In short, we have yet to see a watt to watt comparison between a LED and HPS for a true yield comparison. I honestly do not believe the correct combination of nm in LED lighting has been delivered yet. Once that combination is achieved, it will be very interesting to see how a 250W LED does against a 250W HPS.

I suppose a grow-off between to 2 126W HGL's and 1 250W HPS would give us a better idea?

As for the heat, I believe a 25% reduction in heat output is quite significant. This reduced heat output is mainly due to how LED's create light. LEDs illuminate instead of spark, therefore there is less energy radiated. I can't help but wonder if it is this differing method of photon creation that causes some of the differences that have been noted during this journal???

Reference for my 25% heat reduction claim:

"Slight side note, I measured the heat output of my 250 MH w/ internal ballast in my 350 cubic foot room for 12 hours. There is no in or out ventilation as I am working toward creating a high CO2 low temp sealed environment. The 250 watt MH raised the temp from 77 to 89. Two days later I got the ambient temp back to exactly 77 and fired up the new LED light that still has 264 functioning 1 watt LED's and 3 functioning 3 watt fans after a slight shipping mishap. That's a total of 273 watts. After 12 hours the temp raised from 77 to 84. Once I got the temp back to 77 and turned both units on to see what it would do. After 12 hours the combination raised the temp from 77 to 95.

350 cubic foot room:
250 watt MH w/ internal ballast raised temp 12 degrees in 12 hours
273 watt LED raised temp 7 degrees in 12 hours
Combined 250w MH and 273 w LED raised temp 18 degrees in 12 hours"

Harvest is done ;).

I apologize for not promptly replying to posts, but it took longer than I anticipated to trim and weigh 8 plants and that's pretty much all I've been up to ;).

The root balls were very healthy and the plants were nowhere near root-bound in the 2-gallon rose pots.

I'm beat, so I'm just going to post the pics and get some sleep :slide:

HPIM2043.JPG

HPIM2051.JPG

HPIM2047.JPG

HPIM20501.JPG

HPIM20421.JPG

HPIM2038.JPG

HPIM2054.JPG

HPIM2062.JPG

HPIM2067.JPG

HPIM20722.JPG

These are wet weights recorded immediately after trimming, so using 25% of wet weight as an estimate of final dry weight, that would wind up somewhere around 33.25g from the HSS tent, and 78.25g from the HGL tent. They didn't feel very "wet" though, and may not lose 75%, but we'll soon know.

I did weigh each whole intact plant after chopping them at the soil line and before trimming:

HSS 1 - 130g
HSS 2 - 148g
HSS 4 - 120g
HSS 5 - 131g

HGL 1 - 147g
HGL 3 - 197g
HGL 4 - 211g
HGL 5 - 215g

I'll be back after I get some rest ;).

:thanks: :thumb:

The weights speak for themselves. Assuming 75% weight loss that equates to .62g per watt for HGL and .175g per watt for HSS.

.175 WTF have i done some really wacky maths or is this right????
If my maths are right the HGL results could be lived with because we know with lst or sog or scrog we could probably comfortably push it up and maybe achieve 1g per watt but could the HSS be pushed up that much.

Top job SS. Looking forward to smoke reports and final weights.

Not a good day for HSS imho.

Back
Top Bottom