Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Re: 420 Consumer Reports Competition - Haight Solid State vs. Hydro Grow LED

Hi OMM, you are forgetting that this grow was done without any tweaking. Purposely so, to compare two light sources, not to max out yield.
Your comments indicate that you are dissapointed in yield.
Given the overall health of the plants in this grow, and Setting Suns obvious skill as a grower, I would expect a much improved yield if SS was free to tweak a modified grow style or even just a natural grow with freedom to do wht he felt was best.

It did take this first grow with these lights to get a feel for them and how to best tweak each one for bigger yields. If I repeated this as a personal grow, I'd do things a lot differently.

Reminding myself of the wattage levels is what has helped me keep things in perspective and kept my expectations within reason.

thanks Mmmmmick ;)

Thank You Buddy and you are exactly right. Got caught up in the bud, ahh the moment.:grinjoint:

I see these lights as possibly a solution for a personal grower with light-medium needs, although they certainly aren't the only solution.

I don't know SS personally but I can well imagine how tough it was to let these plants grow without tweaking for best results. It must have been almost painful at times. My congratulations to him on his growing skills and his ability to remain focussed on the real point of this grow.

It was pretty tough and pretty painful, lol.

As far as the outcome, I did my best to cut that loose before I started or this grow would have driven me nuts.

thanks bro ;)

lovely close ups, real candy! :D

thank you and welcome!

You can get this cable by the foot at most mobile home/RV parts houses. It is sold by the foot. Buy however many feet you need then a connector kit. It looks like a braided cable, but is in fact a resistance heat cord. Simply cut the end and stick it into the encapsulated end piece and the 115 volts thermostatically controlled power supply keeps it regulated. I'm not sure at what temp it's regulated at, but it's setup to simply keep pipes from freezing.

Thanks MisterPeabody!

The space heater is a very poor solution, so will either use hotter lights in winter and/or heating mats/cables, although the best solution would be to add the garage to the central gas furnace, if it has the capacity.

There's also different types of engine-block heaters for cars that may be worth investigating.

thanks again and glad you're on-board ;)

These are trich pics I took today of both tents. I used a black background, per Papa Green's suggestion, and it hugely improved the contrast and depth. :thanks: PapaGreen!!!

These are from all four HGL plants:

PIC00210.jpg

PIC0042.jpg

PIC0101.jpg

PIC0113.jpg

PIC0201.jpg

PIC029.jpg

PIC0321.jpg

PIC034.jpg

These are from the HSS group:

PIC042.jpg

This is the biggest cluster of amber trichs I could find, but I think in just a few days, they're gonna be done.

PIC0441.jpg

PIC0481.jpg

PIC0513.jpg

PIC0541.jpg

PIC0582.jpg

PIC0612.jpg

PIC0662.jpg

PIC070.jpg

As you can see, there are quite a few more amber trichs, and very few clear.

The HSS plants are slightly further along according to trich ratio, but both groups are close enough that I don't think I will have to stagger the harvest.

I flushed both groups yesterday in anticipation of harvesting sometime this coming week, probably between Wednesday and Monday.

I'll take some plant pics for the next update ;).

Almost done! ;) :yahoo:

:thanks:

As you should.

I am too.

Thinking of me, that is, lol.

I wanted to see first-hand if could save some energy with these lights and still produce an acceptable yield, but all I've tested here, as far as I'm concerned, are two examples of relatively low-wattage LED lights, not LED technology as a whole.

I think this grow will provide some valid data and maybe help people make positive or negative decisions on these two products, but to condemn the whole technology based on the results of this grow would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater, IMO.

I'm not really much of an early adopter as far as hardware, but I couldn't find LED grows that would answer my questions, so this grow will help answer my questions about current < 200w LED lights.

I'm sure there's lots of other questions besides mine.

I just don't see much about this grow that would provide support for broad sweeping LED conclusions or generalizations.

Of course you right Sun. I generally don't make sweeping remarks and speak in general terms, so if you don't mind my comments were about these these two lights and this grow only. They have been grown so well by you, and your the best as far I am concerned. The lights themselves are my problem. To me they veg OK, but flower? My apologies to all.:grinjoint:

Nice pics.

Can't wait for the final weights.

Thanks again for all your time and effort.:welldone::roorrip:

Wow. Now, I see the cloudy trichs you were talking about!

BTW... My girls are at 4 1/2 weeks and I cut a lower branch off to sample. Have to say you are a very good teacher SS because I've been applying everything I've learned while following this journal.

...I'm freakin lit right now!

I'm amazed at those eyeclops pics - and it's cheaper than the USB scope? Looks like you can see a trich coming out of the top of another trich in one shot.

Anway, just getting up to date on your perfectly done comparison! The end is near... :cheesygrinsmiley:

yeah, that black background made a big difference, very nice! Another well detailed update, you've done the community a great service. Can't wait til you can sit back and enjoy some of the smoke you've earned....

Peace

thanks wizewizo!

It's so close now, I can almost taste it ;).

Of course you right Sun. I generally don't make sweeping remarks and speak in general terms, so if you don't mind my comments were about these these two lights and this grow only. They have been grown so well by you, and your the best as far I am concerned. The lights themselves are my problem. To me they veg OK, but flower? My apologies to all.:grinjoint:

At the risk of flogging the expired equine, and cause I'm curious, would you still be disappointed in the flowering if you kept in mind the number of watts used?

Nice pics.

Can't wait for the final weights.

Thanks again for all your time and effort.:welldone::roorrip:

thanks brother!

Wow. Now, I see the cloudy trichs you were talking about!

The black background really made a difference.

BTW... My girls are at 4 1/2 weeks and I cut a lower branch off to sample. Have to say you are a very good teacher SS because I've been applying everything I've learned while following this journal.

...I'm freakin lit right now!

well thanks!

it sounds like your girls turned out well ;).

keep it green, my friend ;)

I don't know how well the 300w+ LED panels penetrate, so just confining my comments to the two lights on this grow, I agree that the HGL would most probably have done better with 2 plants, but the HSS might do better with a *larger* number of shorter plants. I think that might be the best way to optimize the energy from the Haight's 140 degree angle.

The great majority of LED panels are similar in design to the HGL, so generally speaking, I agree that less plants with LED lights may be more efficient, but the Haight panel is unique because of its wide angle, so I think short and horizontal with either LST, SCROG or SOG might be the ticket.

thanks botanist ;)
OK, so now you gots to put that theory into another test grow. I think you are right. Do a scrog with the hss, and put 2 lstd plants under the 126 . Unless you're sendind it back. I do think you should be compensated for your time though !! :reading420magazine:

I'm amazed at those eyeclops pics - and it's cheaper than the USB scope? Looks like you can see a trich coming out of the top of another trich in one shot.

Anway, just getting up to date on your perfectly done comparison! The end is near... :cheesygrinsmiley:

Yep, that dopey thing takes some very cool pics.

It really helps to connect the video output to a TV. Otherwise, it's hard to see what you're doing on the little screen.

At the time I bought it, about a year ago, the Eyeclops cost about the same as the new USB scope. The USB scopes a year ago cost way more, but have come down a lot.

I need to spend some time with the new scope, but the Eyeclops is really good for doing what we do.

That one pic really is a trich sprouting out of another trich.

Seems like I started this grow a long time ago, but it's taken about the average time for a grow.

Looking forward to the next grow, whatever it is ;).

Spectacular. Just when I thought your pics couldn't get any better.

:welldone:

I'm truly speechless. Gonna search now for that Eyeclops. Never heard of it before but I gotta have one. {Looking around for who to mug for the money}.

And I never thanked you for the summary - that was just the info I needed.

:peace:

This seems like coming to the final pages of a great book you've been reading for awhile and you'll hate to put it down. Looking back on the thread, it almost is.

Thanks for the judicious, level-headed manner with which you have documented this experimental grow.

And thanks for abusing my mother in-law for me in my absence. She says her arms are still sore from stretching the tent for 72 hours straight. She said it was worth it because those are the lovliest, most fragrant ferns she ever babysat. Next time, she asked to bring her prescription sunglasses.

At the risk of flogging the expired equine, and cause I'm curious, would you still be disappointed in the flowering if you kept in mind the number of watts used?

OK Sun Here we go again. My 90w UFO does just as good in a small area for even less money. I'm hanging on by a thread here.:ganjamon:

Looking forward to your next grow a well brother grower...Great job with this grow and keeping it real :welldone:

thank you brother Tunes!

Always good to hear from you bro. I've learned a lot of stuff from reading your journals and threads ;).

Spectacular. Just when I thought your pics couldn't get any better.

:welldone:

I'm truly speechless. Gonna search now for that Eyeclops. Never heard of it before but I gotta have one. {Looking around for who to mug for the money}.

And I never thanked you for the summary - that was just the info I needed.

:peace:

Thanks again for the black background suggestion. Really made a dramatic improvement. I've never been more confident in what I'm seeing trich-wise than my last pic session.

I have the Eyeclops set up right next to the grow, so it's very convenient for doing checks.

I'm thinking the USB scope connected to my laptop would be an extremely slick portable option, but I haven't tried it yet in the grow room with the laptop.

Either one makes it a lot easier for me to actually see what's going on.

Thanks for your comments and support PG ;)

This seems like coming to the final pages of a great book you've been reading for awhile and you'll hate to put it down. Looking back on the thread, it almost is.

You never know how life is going to go, and you never know how these journals will go. Each one tells its own story. I know for sure that growing for me wouldn't be 10% as much fun or educational without sharing my grows here and having the privilege of reading and participating in those of others.

Thanks for the judicious, level-headed manner with which you have documented this experimental grow.

thanks bro ;)

And thanks for abusing my mother in-law for me in my absence. She says her arms are still sore from stretching the tent for 72 hours straight. She said it was worth it because those are the lovliest, most fragrant ferns she ever babysat. Next time, she asked to bring her prescription sunglasses.

I'm not sure the ferns would like that ;).

OK, so now you gots to put that theory into another test grow. I think you are right. Do a scrog with the hss, and put 2 lstd plants under the 126 . Unless you're sendind it back. I do think you should be compensated for your time though !! :reading420magazine:

I have lot of different grows I want to do now that I have my grow room set up this way.

That one would be near the top though.

thanks Slow ;)

OK Sun Here we go again. My 90w UFO does just as good in a small area for even less money. I'm hanging on by a thread here.:ganjamon:

I'm sorry OMM, that horse was way beyond dead and I think you may have mentioned that to me before.

I just got done taking a bunch of pics of the plants, but gonna update tomorrow sometime.

thanks buddy ;)

DAY 62 BLOOM

Today is 8 weeks into bloom; these pics are from two days ago.

IMG_5953.JPG

IMG_5960.JPG

IMG_5956.JPG

IMG_5963.JPG

IMG_5961.JPG

IMG_5975.JPG

IMG_59901.JPG

IMG_5996.JPG

IMG_6000.JPG

IMG_6002.JPG

IMG_6007.JPG

IMG_6010.JPG

IMG_6011.JPG

I caught a whiff of a new aroma in the HSS tent today. The sativa pheno smells like pink grapefruit ;).

IMG_6016.JPG

IMG_6018.JPG

IMG_6032.JPG

IMG_6033.JPG

IMG_6031.JPG

IMG_6024.JPG

IMG_6027.JPG

IMG_6026.JPG

IMG_6035.JPG

IMG_6036.JPG

IMG_6039.JPG

IMG_6040.JPG

The HSS group is just about there. Leaves are starting to yellow a little, no bud growth for several days, and trichs are just about 50/50, averaging out the bud sites.

The HGL plants are close behind, so I'm planning to harvest the HSS tent on Friday, and the HGL tent on Saturday or Sunday.

Numbers soon ;)

I've been following the journal for awhile, and it is only now that i realize ti is still in progress! I'm new to the community and am trying to collect data for myself before i construct my op. this journal has been a great help! can't wait for the final review!

Had a side thought, wonder how a grow would go if you used an HLG LED with HSS LED(s) as back up that way you could get focused intensity from the HLG and still get the area covereage from the HSS.

thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom