Harlequin, 2nd Attempt

Brother T

1st batch of Harlequin seeds was iffy...4 out of 5 floated & disintegrated at the lightest touch. Vendor was very gracious & replaced for the cost of shipping.

2 of the replacement seeds soaked for 20hrs then were placed on damp paper towels. By the following morning, the one root is 2x the size of the seed shell. The 2nd is kinda curled but big enough so they're were immediately tucked into peat pots...

Hope I did the schedule right...the autos should be ready for harvest around the time these photos are ready to enter reduced hrs of light.
IMG_20220417_081935035.jpg

Hope that's right pic. 2 Harlequins germinated...one busted out, other, helmet head, doa when i dug up after a week of no show. 2nd batch of seeds from same seller & same grower...1st batch, 4 no germ, only 1 that did get to seedling was rescued helmet head that eventually crapped out. Thinking weak strain, bad genetics. Not vendors fault so no name / blame mentioned. Stuff happens...life is short... counting my blessings... beautiful family, waking up on right side of dirt, enough food to be fat...ok, last part caz diet isn't working

Soaking bonus / free to me Catatonic seed to fill empty fiber bucket.

IMG_20220424_151200202.jpg

Hope that's right pic. 2 Harlequins germinated...one busted out, other, helmet head, doa when i dug up after a week of no show. 2nd batch of seeds from same seller & same grower...1st batch, 4 no germ, only 1 that did get to seedling was rescued helmet head that eventually crapped out. Thinking weak strain, bad genetics. Not vendors fault so no name / blame mentioned. Stuff happens...life is short... counting my blessings... beautiful family, waking up on right side of dirt, enough food to be fat...ok, last part caz diet isn't working

Soaking bonus / free to me Catatonic seed to fill empty fiber bucket.

IMG_20220424_151200202.jpg
Hey Brother I'm going to tag along. :ciao:
BTW you should fill that pot, your wasting 1/4 of your root space. :Namaste:
It Should be full and domed up in the center.
My Gorilla Glue clone thread has a pictorial on how to fill pot's property.
How is your watering capabilities? You confident or would you like a little help?

Stay safe :cheesygrinsmiley:
Bill

Hey Brother I'm going to tag along. :ciao:
BTW you should fill that pot, your wasting 1/4 of your root space. :Namaste:
It Should be full and domed up in the center.
My Gorilla Glue clone thread has a pictorial on how to fill pot's property.
How is your watering capabilities? You confident or would you like a little help?

Stay safe :cheesygrinsmiley:
Bill
Thanks Bill. Old habits...farmed up north for many decades where seeds were usually started well before spring. Seedlings would routinely get leggy under crappy workshop lights so we would start with under full pots, then shore up any saggers similar to what you mentioned by placing new soil further up the stem for support. Seedlings would often be kept inside for months due to the weather so the new soil (soil + compost) would add nutrients for the long haul and the crown / dome shape would stabilize and help redirect water out to the edges to encourage root growth.

Working on an automated watering system. Trying to decide between moisture sensors or a weight system ie knuckle test versus feels light...or a combo. Then there's soaker hose versus water ring...so I'm basically chasing my tail. In the meantime, I watched a good video on watering by the Tourette Grower. He's using organic methods on hi CBD autos. The video reminded me to pay more attention to what the plant is saying than to a 'fixed schedule'.

Help / advice always welcome! Learning as I go, always nice to have someone with far more experience walking along side...much appreciated.

Which ones are these? The BX4 or something else?
I went back to the website but don't see any mention of BX4. I'm assuming from the very little I know that the designation refers to perhaps a 4th generation back cross..or maybe a specific grower's strain. The fact that the majority of the 1st batch floated & were brittle tells me that they may have overheated at some point. From what I remember, weaker seeds begin to die at temps as low as 105F while even the most robust lose viability by 130F. No worries, taking the good with the less good. The one that did sprout seems to have grown overnight. A few more seeds left so I'll try again after I gain some experience.

I went back to the website but don't see any mention of BX4. I'm assuming from the very little I know that the designation refers to perhaps a 4th generation back cross..or maybe a specific grower's strain. The fact that the majority of the 1st batch floated & were brittle tells me that they may have overheated at some point. From what I remember, weaker seeds begin to die at temps as low as 105F while even the most robust lose viability by 130F. No worries, taking the good with the less good. The one that did sprout seems to have grown overnight. A few more seeds left so I'll try again after I gain some experience.
I was asking because I have been looking for the sativa dominant original 5:2 CBD:THC ration FOREVER so I was wondering if you had it =]

It seems when I look for it all I can find is the BX4 indica dominant =[

I was asking because I have been looking for the sativa dominant original 5:2 CBD:THC ration FOREVER so I was wondering if you had it =]

It seems when I look for it all I can find is the BX4 indica dominant =[
Not sure what i can share public...pls send me pm & i'll share vendor for you to review...

Week 3 for the Harlequin. Grew tall enough, or at least I hope it did, to gently pull it over to start low stress training. No holes in the fabric so I secured it with a binder clip which seems to work well. Yarn thru a piece of left over aquarium tubing wasn't one of my better ideas. I'll pick up some pipe cleaners or plant wire tomorrow.

Happy with the progress...who am I kidding...happy it's still alive!

Peace to all...

IMG_20220508_061621438.jpg

Week 4

Observations: some growth, greening nicely, curl subsiding...thank you Growings for your spot on observation about humidity...my fat fingers accidentally hit the 'hold' icon so it was a wee dry in the closet...

Corrections: new humidifier setup. Added a timer, 60 mins on, 30 off as even the lowest setting was too high with 86% RH outside. Dialing in the intake fan speed versus exhaust fan speed versus humidifier setting / timing. Working on automated system as even a tiny adjustment sometimes makes a huge swing in such a small space.

Care: Fox Farms...hope that's ok to say...Big Bloom & Big Grow, half strength of what's on their colorful pdf. Every watering...knuckle test until I get moisture sensors in place... just enough water to see a little run off. Started LST last week. Waiting for additional growth to continue training.

Setup: 3gal fabric pot, 1 part peat, 1 part compost, 1 part perilite for soil. 2x5 closet space, reflective walls, temp 75-80F, RH 45-60%, leds ~45k lux at top of plant

Comments: 2 seeds germinated then failed to thrive. I suspect transplanting into peat pellets may have played a roll...too long for seedling to break out of peat & find nutes in soil...next cycle, germinated seeds will be transplanted directly into soil filled solo cups...

IMG_20220515_161848366.jpg

Not sure if I'm missing something. Please chime in if I'm being a dork. The flower in foreground is 45 day old CBD White Widow Auto. The background flower is a different plant, supposedly a 40 day old photoperiod Harlequin..but it's starting to flower despite it's entire life at 18/6.

I tag my plants & double checked my inventory...WW are the only autos I have and only 2 seeds were used from that inventory which are accounted for. Two seeds are gone from the supposed 'Harlequin' inventory... 1 germinated but was a helmet head and never sprouted, this is the other...

The flowering 'Harlequin' was from replacement seeds that company sent after 4 out of 5 of original seeds floated when soaked & never germinated. The replacements were supposed to be the same... Harlequins, photo.

My limited knowledge says this is not a photo but some unknown auto.... Not naming names but I won't buy from them again especially at $100+ for 10 seeds!

I'll still grow this plant out but ending this journal unless someone tells me I'm clueless...which is possible cause what do I know. Enough bad info out there without me adding to it. Wishing each of you peace, blessings, and all each day holds...
IMG_20220528_160627226_HDR.jpg

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom