Harvest Right freeze dried biomass?

Did you mention your friend's garden and deep freeze and cure idea?

As for me, I have found that they lose the spongey texture when frozen.

Temps are important between deep freeze and freeze as mentioned, certain temps degrade the THC very quickly, others it acts as a preservative.

I only freeze my buds for kief collection purposes and then for making freezer hash.

I don't have a air oven to make crumble or a flat iron pancake maker to make shatter or I would try those options out.

I tried fridge curing and did not like it. It did seem like the trichs fell off easy.

But here's what I do with my frozen stuff

20220828_154810.jpg

20220828_154635.jpg

20220828_154627.jpg

20220828_154624.jpg

20220828_154615.jpg

20220828_135706.jpg

20220828_131018.jpg

20220828_112629.jpg

20220828_112625.jpg

16617898839627261250663726809735.jpg
Holy sh*t that's the most kief I've ever seen 😂 I'm struggling to fill my grinder at home....let alone save that much.

Holy sh*t that's the most kief I've ever seen 😂 I'm struggling to fill my grinder at home....let alone save that much.
That was from my 2 hermied Gelato autos back in December, remember? I have had them chilling in the freezer until yesterday waiting for this moment lol

That was from my 2 hermied Gelato autos back in December, remember? I have had them chilling in the freezer until yesterday waiting for this moment lol
Yup ok sure do.... I was just baffled about the amount lol. Regardless still impressive to have that much.

Yup ok sure do.... I was just baffled about the amount lol. Regardless still impressive to have that much.
Believe me, we couldn't believe how much we screened off...it took forever!

Did you mention your friend's garden and deep freeze and cure idea?

As for me, I have found that they lose the spongey texture when frozen.

Temps are important between deep freeze and freeze as mentioned, certain temps degrade the THC very quickly, others it acts as a preservative.

I only freeze my buds for kief collection purposes and then for making freezer hash.

I don't have a air oven to make crumble or a flat iron pancake maker to make shatter or I would try those options out.

I tried fridge curing and did not like it. It did seem like the trichs fell off easy.

But here's what I do with my frozen stuff

20220828_154810.jpg

20220828_154635.jpg

20220828_154627.jpg

20220828_154624.jpg

20220828_154615.jpg

20220828_135706.jpg

20220828_131018.jpg

20220828_112629.jpg

20220828_112625.jpg

16617898839627261250663726809735.jpg
Gimme! lol :green_heart: :green_heart: :green_heart:

I was actually drawing attention to this thread because we were chatting about my friend getting semi sponsored by marijuana freeze dryer makers .

The claim, is that they can take fresh harvest and trimmed buds and in about a week completely dried AND cured buds.

The modified freeze dryers especially for weed are supposed to have fixed issues with sponginess and crushing into powder etc.

I just thought youd be interested in this one since we chatted quickly about it the other day is all :)
hehe

My dad has a harvest right freeze dryer, and I freeze-dried part of my first harvest. He set the max temp at 65f and ran them through. When they were finished, I put them in a Grove bag with some fresh stems. The stems bought the RH back up to 62% within a couple of hours. Once back up, I removed the stems and they stayed right at 62% rh.

My impressions of the freeze-dried bud:

PROS: The bud was dried and cured within 48 hours. At least I assume it was cured, as there was absolutely no grassy taste or smell. The bud smoked good right away and tasted really nice.
The appearance is fantastic. The bud will look almost exactly as it did when you harvested, with no shrinkage or browning.

CONS: The freeze-dried bud didn't age as well as traditional-cured bud, though, as over time it seemed to lose smell and taste. It smokes a bit quicker too. A bowl of freeze-dried is like 1/3 - 1/2 bowl of normal. As a result of drying without shrinking, it feels a little like styrofoam.

In the end, I doubt I will freeze dry any more weed, unless I am out and need it quickly ;) The traditional cure takes longer, but it also lasts longer and has more complexity. Freeze-dried hash, now, is a different story...

Gimme! lol :green_heart: :green_heart: :green_heart:

I was actually drawing attention to this thread because we were chatting about my friend getting semi sponsored by marijuana freeze dryer makers .

The claim, is that they can take fresh harvest and trimmed buds and in about a week completely dried AND cured buds.

The modified freeze dryers especially for weed are supposed to have fixed issues with sponginess and crushing into powder etc.

I just thought youd be interested in this one since we chatted quickly about it the other day is all :)
hehe
This is exactly what I was referring to when I asked if you had mentioned your friends garden!! You were the one who struck my curiousity in the freezer process for flower! I'm just as open eared and eyed here as you are Auto!! Thanks for the tag!

My dad has a harvest right freeze dryer, and I freeze-dried part of my first harvest. He set the max temp at 65f and ran them through. When they were finished, I put them in a Grove bag with some fresh stems. The stems bought the RH back up to 62% within a couple of hours. Once back up, I removed the stems and they stayed right at 62% rh.

My impressions of the freeze-dried bud:

PROS: The bud was dried and cured within 48 hours. At least I assume it was cured, as there was absolutely no grassy taste or smell. The bud smoked good right away and tasted really nice.
The appearance is fantastic. The bud will look almost exactly as it did when you harvested, with no shrinkage or browning.

CONS: The freeze-dried bud didn't age as well as traditional-cured bud, though, as over time it seemed to lose smell and taste. It smokes a bit quicker too. A bowl of freeze-dried is like 1/3 - 1/2 bowl of normal. As a result of drying without shrinking, it feels a little like styrofoam.

In the end, I doubt I will freeze dry any more weed, unless I am out and need it quickly ;) The traditional cure takes longer, but it also lasts longer and has more complexity. Freeze-dried hash, now, is a different story...

Excellent write up Budman!
I wonder if there is a happy medium (and way to flag it ) to bring down the styrofoam effect and maybe with a nicely done vacu suck keep more freshness on the terp profile.

When you say 1/3-1/2 a bowl of freeze dried is equal to a bowl of normal.. how do you mean? Potency (smoke less to catch same high ?), just the way it crunches down into the bowl? or ?

I pretty much felt like this was what would happen based on just knowledge of freeze drying fruits and veg etc. I also told my friend that is looking into these that I thought itd be a lot of extra electric especially if it takes a good while to run a batch and even then how much are you getting done in a run etc. Plus the lightness of the bud itself.

Just doesnt sound good for doing business with buds. Sounds fun if you do it in small batches maybe now and then.

However your little bit about hash there at the end has me wondering about a thread on that topic???

:hookah:

This is exactly what I was referring to when I asked if you had mentioned your friends garden!! You were the one who struck my curiousity in the freezer process for flower! I'm just as open eared and eyed here as you are Auto!! Thanks for the tag!
Oh! Lol, Im a dork and read it wrong lmao!
Gotta check Budmans post above it seems! lol
Thank you :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom