Harvest Right freeze dried biomass?

I think I know someone with a freeze dryer so I’ll check it out. Since the processes are the same and the moisture is just freezing and subliming out of the bud in both cases, presumably leaving pretty much the same end result- a frozen dried bud, I wouldn't expect apples vs oranges. But I’ll test it out.
I could be wrong :) You'll have to let us know what you find out if you test both methods.

Keep in mind there is a difference between freezer drying and freeze drying. Freeze dried takes it down to almost -20 F and then sublimates the moisture in a vacuum chamber.
Hi Don,

Thanks for your feedback! May I ask what your recipe is for freeze drying and do you find your product coming out from the freeze dryer to be as sticky as product dried by hanging? Also, how is the nose on both those methods?

Thanks again :)

Hi Don,

Thanks for your feedback! May I ask what your recipe is for freeze drying and do you find your product coming out from the freeze dryer to be as sticky as product dried by hanging? Also, how is the nose on both those methods?

Thanks again :)
With the new firmware, you can only change the end temp. not the dry time etc. So I adjusted it to 65 degrees finish temp and put it in the freeze dryer (I have a large one).
Because I was only testing it with 1 cola, (Rest of the plant will probably be done in a few days), I don't have a ton to use as feedback.

After I took it out of the freeze dryer, I put it in a jar with a 62% pack where it now sits at 62%. The product is really sticky and almost appears to be fresh bud. Yet, it burns. When it grinds, it almost acts as kinetic sand.

I can't really compare to someone drying in a freezer unfortunately.

With the new firmware, you can only change the end temp. not the dry time etc. So I adjusted it to 65 degrees finish temp and put it in the freeze dryer (I have a large one).
Because I was only testing it with 1 cola, (Rest of the plant will probably be done in a few days), I don't have a ton to use as feedback.

After I took it out of the freeze dryer, I put it in a jar with a 62% pack where it now sits at 62%. The product is really sticky and almost appears to be fresh bud. Yet, it burns. When it grinds, it almost acts as kinetic sand.

I can't really compare to someone drying in a freezer unfortunately.
Hi Don,

Ive been testing my product for a couple days now with my freeze dryer (Harvest Right) . Ive put my finish product into an environment with 60% humidity for a good 4 - 6 hours. At most, my bud feels slightly more dense but the outside still feels like powder in a way. It's not sticky unless I squeeze the bud. Do you have any ideas on how I can fix this problem?

Thanks again,
Dankman420

Hi Don,

Ive been testing my product for a couple days now with my freeze dryer (Harvest Right) . Ive put my finish product into an environment with 60% humidity for a good 4 - 6 hours. At most, my bud feels slightly more dense but the outside still feels like powder in a way. It's not sticky unless I squeeze the bud. Do you have any ideas on how I can fix this problem?

Thanks again,
Dankman420
With a 62% humidity pack, it takes a couple days before it gets there for me. (In a jar).

With a 62% humidity pack, it takes a couple days before it gets there for me. (In a jar).
Would you happen to know any other methods? I've tried this before but I was seeing if anyone would have quick 1-2 results. The method you stating took me about 5-7days in a jar, but I had the whole jar packed.

Thanks again for the advice.

Would you happen to know any other methods? I've tried this before but I was seeing if anyone would have quick 1-2 results. The method you stating took me about 5-7days in a jar, but I had the whole jar packed.

Thanks again for the advice.
Even tho it takes longer, I also see it as a possible way for it to also still have some sort of "curing" time. I don't know if that is reality or not but I hope so lol

hello guy, been reading the thread and it has been very informative. I have an oil free home small harvest freeze dryer coming in and been trying to find the correct setting and duration for freeze drying cannabis. i read a lot of people claim its too dried and breaks easy. could this be because they did not jar it with the humidity pack? if anyone has the best setting for harvestright. thanks

I’m still trying the find the right spot myself with my medium size dryer. I started to lower my tray temps down to 65f instead of the default 125f setting and seems to give the buds a bit more sponge feel. I’m usually 20hrs roughly but changes depending on plant amount being dried, bud size, and whether I gave them a bud wash or not after harvest. I’m tempted for my next harvest to try the trays at 55f and see what comes of it. Harder to tell for you because you went with the smaller dryer, but I wish you best of luck

I’m still trying the find the right spot myself with my medium size dryer. I started to lower my tray temps down to 65f instead of the default 125f setting and seems to give the buds a bit more sponge feel. I’m usually 20hrs roughly but changes depending on plant amount being dried, bud size, and whether I gave them a bud wash or not after harvest. I’m tempted for my next harvest to try the trays at 55f and see what comes of it. Harder to tell for you because you went with the smaller dryer, but I wish you best of luck
Will be pleased to get an update when you try the trays at 55F and the weight and time. Most of the reviews am reading scaring the hell outta me. Cos i’m mostly going to be smokeable end product. But. If it is way dry am done lol. I have a some months to get my harvest done. Hopefully you might have found a sweet spot by then. Thanks and will be waiting for your next results.

Will be pleased to get an update when you try the trays at 55F and the weight and time. Most of the reviews am reading scaring the hell outta me. Cos i’m mostly going to be smokeable end product. But. If it is way dry am done lol. I have a some months to get my harvest done. Hopefully you might have found a sweet spot by then. Thanks and will be waiting for your next results.
Also do you use humidity packs when storing them? Do they bring back the moisture in the budz or they do not work with freezedry buds. Thank you

Also do you use humidity packs when storing them? Do they bring back the moisture in the budz or they do not work with freezedry buds. Thank you

Ive done a lot without the packs but I have also done some with. When I added my boveda pack to my first load of LSD I had grown from Barney’s Farm. My buds become very sponge like but would maybe try to go for the less then 62% moisture because they almost seem a bit too moist. I place just over an ounce of my weed in my 1L mason jars and the integra/boveda pack in the middle and leave it. I had buds also in a vacuum sealed mylar bags with like 50g in them each but no moisture pack. They are dry and would consider adding a pack if my coming summer harvest is as big as my 2020 outdoor harvest was. Had no jars left and had to resort to the bag seal for storage.

Ive done a lot without the packs but I have also done some with. When I added my boveda pack to my first load of LSD I had grown from Barney’s Farm. My buds become very sponge like but would maybe try to go for the less then 62% moisture because they almost seem a bit too moist. I place just over an ounce of my weed in my 1L mason jars and the integra/boveda pack in the middle and leave it. I had buds also in a vacuum sealed mylar bags with like 50g in them each but no moisture pack. They are dry and would consider adding a pack if my coming summer harvest is as big as my 2020 outdoor harvest was. Had no jars left and had to resort to the bag seal for storage.
Thanks for the info . Kindly update me if the 55F worked better . I have about 2months before i am ready to harvest and dry. My harvest right comes with an oiless pump. Hope that will work fine.

Thanks for the info . Kindly update me if the 55F worked better . I have about 2months before i am ready to harvest and dry. My harvest right comes with an oiless pump. Hope that will work fine.
Sadly I’m just starting my latest grow and you’ll be done well before me. So you might have to tell me how it goes :laughtwo:

Sadly I’m just starting my latest grow and you’ll be done well before me. So you might have to tell me how it goes :laughtwo:
So been doing research and i came across theoriginalresinator. Spoke to a sales rep and she said they have specialized systems for freezedrying cannabis at the right temp to get it looking good. She recommended the Digivac Stratavac controller. That runs with the Scientific Harvest right Freezedryer. She mentioned this with the digivac controller and thier custom settings specificallg for cannabis . If you have any info about this please do share. Thanks

@Krissi Carbone , did you see this thread?
Did you mention your friend's garden and deep freeze and cure idea?

As for me, I have found that they lose the spongey texture when frozen.

Temps are important between deep freeze and freeze as mentioned, certain temps degrade the THC very quickly, others it acts as a preservative.

I only freeze my buds for kief collection purposes and then for making freezer hash.

I don't have a air oven to make crumble or a flat iron pancake maker to make shatter or I would try those options out.

I tried fridge curing and did not like it. It did seem like the trichs fell off easy.

But here's what I do with my frozen stuff

20220828_154810.jpg

20220828_154635.jpg

20220828_154627.jpg

20220828_154624.jpg

20220828_154615.jpg

20220828_135706.jpg

20220828_131018.jpg

20220828_112629.jpg

20220828_112625.jpg

16617898839627261250663726809735.jpg

Back