Has anyone seen this before?

cwcarter

420 Member
I found this while defoliating my indoor wedding cake grow, was found on bottom of plant. Feels and looks life hard beeswax, formed right on stem engulfing some leaves. Don't know if it is disease or pest. Plant is super healthy otherwise.
20211021_231316.jpg

I have seen praying mantis egg cases, they are fibrous with a stacked "cardboard" appearance and are clearly deposited on the stem, they also crush easily like weak Styrofoam. This is hard and about two inches long, resembles a gall. Thanks for your interest.

the way it encompassed the leaf was what made me think of cocoon…. think some critters do similar stuff for waterproofing or food source
As soon as I typed up my previous msg and hit send I thought that the original photo might be showing a plant gall.

I did a google search on "galls on plants" though "plant galls" will work too. Then when the page loaded I clicked on 'images' and followed through with "crown galls".

The photo looks like a crown gall. Copying from the University of Minn. agriculture dept is this ..."Crown gall causes rough, woody, tumor-like galls to form on roots, trunks and occasionally branches of many different trees and shrubs."

Looking at the photos of crown galls it seems they come in all shapes and sizes and colors.

As soon as I typed up my previous msg and hit send I thought that the original photo might be showing a plant gall.

I did a google search on "galls on plants" though "plant galls" will work too. Then when the page loaded I clicked on 'images' and followed through with "crown galls".

The photo looks like a crown gall. Copying from the University of Minn. agriculture dept is this ..."Crown gall causes rough, woody, tumor-like galls to form on roots, trunks and occasionally branches of many different trees and shrubs."

Looking at the photos of crown galls it seems they come in all shapes and sizes and colors.
I think you are correct, thanks. Discarded the "gall" and the soil.

Back
Top Bottom