Heat Stress Outdoor Grow Super Lemon Haze

CBD BudMan

Hello all,

I've got a Super Lemon Haze that's heat stressed and was wondering if I could get some help from some experienced outdoor growers. All growth has stopped because of the heat... mid 80s f to low 90s f.

She's in the ground with FFOF, worm castings, Bu's Blend Compost, and some extra perlite. Using GeoFlora Veg for nutes. She's under a 40% white shade cloth.

Remedies I've tried:
Started watering with MSA silica 10+ days ago. This has stopped the heat stress from getting worse, but it's not getting any better either.
On June 23rd, top dressed with Kelp Meal & a pinch of Humic Acid along with GeoFlora Veg. Then 2 inch layer of FF Coco Loco soil and a 5 gallon watering with MSA and Neptune's Harvest Seaweed Fertilizer, both at max levels.

This seems to have improved her more than the silica alone, but she's still not growing and the top is still bent over a bit... not as much as at 1st though.

Is this strain not suited for "Hot" weather?

Please help... :smokin:

SLH1.JPG
SLH2.JPG
SLH3.JPG

The high heat is a stressful one for cannabis. And honestly the remedies you mentioned should have improved her much more. Have you treated your soil for fungus knat larvae? Because that kinda what it looks like. Because it seems that the newest growth is suffering the most. And that is usually caused by fungus knat larvae eating the newest root growth therefore inhibiting new leaf growth. JM2C

The high heat is a stressful one for cannabis. And honestly the remedies you mentioned should have improved her much more. Have you treated your soil for fungus knat larvae? Because that kinda what it looks like. Because it seems that the newest growth is suffering the most. And that is usually caused by fungus knat larvae eating the newest root growth therefore inhibiting new leaf growth. JM2C
Thank you @Zephyrs . I have seen some gnats flying around here and there. So, what do you recommend to kill them without harming beneficial microbes in my organic soil? :smokin:

Thank you @Zephyrs . I have seen some gnats flying around here and there. So, what do you recommend to kill them without harming beneficial microbes in my organic soil? :smokin:
You can use BT or commonly known as Mosquito Bits. Or do a neem oil drench. Both of which are organic and will not harm beneficial microbes. Or the root system. And you could put up some yellow sticky traps to catch the adult flyers. :bong:

You can use BT or commonly known as Mosquito Bits. Or do a neem oil drench. Both of which are organic and will not harm beneficial microbes. Or the root system. And you could put up some yellow sticky traps to catch the adult flyers. :bong:
Thank you for this. Curious, I have a Tropicanna Banana girl growing in the same grow area and she's flourishing. Do these gnats select only certain strains? Or perhaps it's just heat stress? I'm not challenging your judgments, just trying to give you a clearer picture of what's in my garden.

Your comments are welcome... :smokin:

No, the fungus knat and its larvae don't care what species of plant is in the soil. More than likely your Tropicanna Banana has the same thing. What I have been doing lately with my girls whether inside or outside is soak a quarter puck of BT or mosquito bits in a gallon of water for a day or two. Then water my transplants with that right after up-potting. Because pretty all organic soil comes with a nasty side dish of fungus knats, from my experience at least.

The Super Lemon Haze is no more. She succumbed to whatever it was she was dealing with.
IMG_6458.JPG

My local hydro shop had me put a raw potato, sliced in half, onto the soil and wait an hour. He says that if it was root aphids, the tiny maggot looking things (larva) would be on the underside of the potato. I did as he recommended and there was nothing. I had already treated the soil for fungus gnats and they quickly disappeared.

He and I feel that, because this girl was too small due to me starting late in the season, she didn't have a large enough root system to cope with the heat. I also feel that it was heat stress that ultimately killed her. I do agree that the gnats added to her demise.

My Tropicana Banana girl is flourishing in this heat! It was 103º f yesterday and 104º f today and she continues to grow in hight and looking good.
IMG_6465.JPG

She's reported to be a heavy producer, so at least I'll have something this season. My thinking is that, because of me starting everything so late in the season, I probably won't get as large a harvest as I otherwise would have.

Live and learn... :smokin:

The Super Lemon Haze is no more. She succumbed to whatever it was she was dealing with.
IMG_6458.JPG

My local hydro shop had me put a raw potato, sliced in half, onto the soil and wait an hour. He says that if it was root aphids, the tiny maggot looking things (larva) would be on the underside of the potato. I did as he recommended and there was nothing. I had already treated the soil for fungus gnats and they quickly disappeared.

He and I feel that, because this girl was too small due to me starting late in the season, she didn't have a large enough root system to cope with the heat. I also feel that it was heat stress that ultimately killed her. I do agree that the gnats added to her demise.

My Tropicana Banana girl is flourishing in this heat! It was 103º f yesterday and 104º f today and she continues to grow in hight and looking good.

Tropicana Banana girl is flourishing in this heat! It was 103º f yesterday and 104º f today and she continues to grow in hight and looking good.

She's reported to be a heavy producer, so at least I'll have something this season. My thinking is that, because of me starting everything so late in the season, I probably won't get as large a harvest as I otherwise would have.

Live and learn... :smokin:
Wow Damn dude sorry to hear that. And you're Hydro guy did give you good advice wi the half potato slice thing. It is true that the fungus knat larvae are instantly attracted to raw potato for some odd reason.

Glad to hear your Tropicana Banana is holding tight! But Shit man 103-104 F is a cannabis Killer, as in assassin.

Next time set up some kind of shade cloth in front to filter the sunlight. Can be as simple as a net onion bag from the supermarket. Small plant, use a tomato cage & cloth pins

Wow Damn dude sorry to hear that. And you're Hydro guy did give you good advice wi the half potato slice thing. It is true that the fungus knat larvae are instantly attracted to raw potato for some odd reason.
Yeah, he says it's like candy to them... they simply cannot resist. It is a root, after all. A big fat juicy root at that! LOL
Glad to hear your Tropicana Banana is holding tight! But Shit man 103-104 F is a cannabis Killer, as in assassin.
Yes... for many strains this kind of heat is an absolute "assassin" for sure. However, there are strains that do surprisingly well. But 104º f is really nothing here in my "neck of the woods" as it can get 110º - 115º f on a regular basis both this month and next (July August). Purple Haze, Black Widow, Durban Poison, Gold Leaf, Critical Mass and others are among strains that have the genetics for HOT climates like this. I've grown these successfully in my back yard, so I know they can do well here.

Thanx for the good word... :smokin:

Next time set up some kind of shade cloth in front to filter the sunlight. Can be as simple as a net onion bag from the supermarket. Small plant, use a tomato cage & cloth pins
Hello @Joe Brewster ,
I've already done better than that... if U take a look at my profile banner, you'll see a white 40% shade cloth above my entire grow area. It does make a real difference. But even with that, the ambient temperature is what it is.

It was reported to me that the Super Lemon Haze is supposed to be very tolerant to HOT climates. Perhaps it's because I started too late in the season, which limited the size of the root system and the entire plant as well.
But IDK... :smokin:

Back
Top Bottom