Tropicana Banana Outdoor In The Ground Living Organic Soil Grow 2023

A little downturn of the heat today (Mon) and tomorrow (Tue) with highs barely touching 100º f. Yay!!! But then the high heat returns by the weekend and could reach 109º f.

She's still doing good though... :smokin:
Good morning my friend, hope you are well today.
I talked to a gentleman in California last summer.
He made a shade out of a Burlap type cloth.
Let's sun through but gives some shade.
He said it's good on those 100 f plus days .
Just a thought.
Wouldn't want her cooking in the sun.
How is the bug battle going?

#VIVOSUN #Love What You Grow
Bill284 😎

Good morning my friend, hope you are well today.
Hello there @Bill284 . I am well, thank you.
I talked to a gentleman in California last summer.
He made a shade out of a Burlap type cloth.
Let's sun through but gives some shade.
He said it's good on those 100 f plus days .
Just a thought.
Wouldn't want her cooking in the sun.
I certainly appreciate the thought. However, I'm already using a 40% shade cloth over the entire garden, as noted in post #1 of this thread. If I go any darker, the plant(s) with not have proper amounts of light.
How is the bug battle going?
I've sprayed with B.T. twice now, but have been quite busy so haven't checked to see if she still has bugs.
Bill284 😎
Love you man. Take good care of yourself... :smokin:

I'm a bit late but I'd like to follow along. I'll tag @Bode and @StoneOtter as they both grow organically in the ground.
Thank you @Azimuth :thanks: All are welcome to participate. I really appreciate you for tagging @Bode and @StoneOtter .

Now, you know that this is just a small, one plant grow, right? So nothing to brag about here. I almost didn't start this grow journal because it's just one little plant that I started way too late in the season. But don't mind me, I'm just kicking myself in the pants is all.

Take care... :smokin:

Hello there @Bill284 . I am well, thank you.

I certainly appreciate the thought. However, I'm already using a 40% shade cloth over the entire garden, as noted in post #1 of this thread. If I go any darker, the plant(s) with not have proper amounts of light.

I've sprayed with B.T. twice now, but have been quite busy so haven't checked to see if she still has bugs.

Love you man. Take good care of yourself... :smokin:
I guess I should read more sorry. :Namaste:
Being in Cali I'm sure you have more tricks up your sleeve than I do, wow that heat.o_O
I hit 36c , 97 f , last night. In the VIVOHUT.
I'm loosing my mind with worry.
I'm trying to avoid ac for costs. $$$.
So I hooked up co2 yesterday, no electricity cost.:thumb:
Greenhouse seems to tolerate 105f , but air flow is doubled this year.
That helps.
I'm hooking up my electric strayer today.
I need a fogger actually, they are freeken big. Hehe
Flower should be interesting.
Good luck with the bug battle. :high-five:
Take care.
Talk soon.

Bill284 😎

Highya CBDbud,

I live in Maine, so I have no experience with all that heat! But, I do grow outdoors. I'm glad you found what's bothering your Tropicana Banana. Do thrips cause the leaf curl? Happy Smokin'

Update Time:

1st I'd like to share that, after taking 4 large fan leaves to my local Hydro guy to examine under his digital microscope, there are no more bugs of any kind! Yay!!! So the B.T. has worked. I did 2 sprayings, 3 days apart. Because the 1st spray just rolled off the leaves like they were hydrophobic, I added something called "Sticky" from Humboldt Nutrients to the 2nd spraying of B.T. It seems to have done the trick. Take a look at these pics from today:

This is the very top of the main stalk. If you look closely, the very center has new leaves growing withOUT leaf curl.
IMG_6519.JPG

A pic of new growth lower on the plant, again with no leaf curl.
IMG_6518.JPG

New leaf growth with no leaf curl here too.
IMG_6517.JPG

And here's a pic of the whole plant. As you can see, there is leaf curl, but those leaves are from when the insects were all over the place on her. All new growth doesn't have any leaf curl.
IMG_6515.JPG

As you look at these pics, you can see little yellow speckles everywhere on the larger leaves. These speckles are the damage from all those nasty thrips, according to my local hydro store guy. So, to answer your question @Bode , yes, thrips do seem to be the cause of this leaf curl. The best I can tell anyway. Thank you @Bill284 for drawing my attention to this leaf curl being cause by pests. :thanks: If others have more insight, please share as I'm always eager to learn new things.

Even though this heat dome continues, she still looks good, especially now after the bugs are gone. Today she did look much happier.

Looking forward to seeing some flowering... :smokin:

And witchcraft. Don’t forget the witch craft. Plants in the ground?! Soil?! I bet you float if we throw you in the river…

😂

Nick
Hey there @NickHardy I do understand and appreciate you. For so many of us, this is all so very different compared to so many decades of having to grow indoors during the prohibition of cannabis. Putting our plants outside in the natural world can seem crazy. But Mother Nature does have her ways, and some of us older cats like me, actually prefer how the sun grows our buds. I personally know a number of people to prefer the smoke and the high of an outdoor, sun grown bud. I always say: While each have their owns preferences, it's all good ice cream.

Thanx for listening... :smokin:

Oh I’m def gonna grow outside (again) My previous two were very neglected, then the monsoon wind and rain came straight out of the west and killed them. In a couple of months I’m going to plant some autos and get them out to start on a SE through SW facing balcony. Move to the SW - NW balcony for flower. Autos because the days don’t really vary in length in the tropics. Probably do 4 SIPs in LOS. A bit more hands off compared to the room and tents I hope!

Looking forward to getting the soil together. Would love I had a spot to put them in an ‘ole in the ground though!

Nick

Update Time:

1st I'd like to share that, after taking 4 large fan leaves to my local Hydro guy to examine under his digital microscope, there are no more bugs of any kind! Yay!!! So the B.T. has worked. I did 2 sprayings, 3 days apart. Because the 1st spray just rolled off the leaves like they were hydrophobic, I added something called "Sticky" from Humboldt Nutrients to the 2nd spraying of B.T. It seems to have done the trick. Take a look at these pics from today:

This is the very top of the main stalk. If you look closely, the very center has new leaves growing withOUT leaf curl.
IMG_6519.JPG

A pic of new growth lower on the plant, again with no leaf curl.
IMG_6518.JPG

New leaf growth with no leaf curl here too.
IMG_6517.JPG

And here's a pic of the whole plant. As you can see, there is leaf curl, but those leaves are from when the insects were all over the place on her. All new growth doesn't have any leaf curl.
IMG_6515.JPG

As you look at these pics, you can see little yellow speckles everywhere on the larger leaves. These speckles are the damage from all those nasty thrips, according to my local hydro store guy. So, to answer your question @Bode , yes, thrips do seem to be the cause of this leaf curl. The best I can tell anyway. Thank you @Bill284 for drawing my attention to this leaf curl being cause by pests. :thanks: If others have more insight, please share as I'm always eager to learn new things.

Even though this heat dome continues, she still looks good, especially now after the bugs are gone. Today she did look much happier.

Looking forward to seeing some flowering... :smokin:
She looks happier now. :thumb:
I purchased an electric sprayer the other day.
Those bugs are a nightmare. :rolleyes:
Keep on her don't let them come back.
Take care.

Bill284 😎

1st I'd like to share that, after taking 4 large fan leaves to my local Hydro guy to examine under his digital microscope, there are no more bugs of any kind! Yay!!! So the B.T. has worked. I did 2 sprayings, 3 days apart. Because the 1st spray just rolled off the leaves like they were hydrophobic, I added something called "Sticky" from Humboldt Nutrients to the 2nd spraying of B.T. It seems to have done the trick.
Thrips aren't typically that easy to rid yourself of. They can lay eggs  inside the plant where they are generally immune from a foliar spray. And that's assuming you got every last one of them the one spray that was effective. Not likely as they can hide in s,all crevasses.

So, as Bill said, keel an eye out. Better yet, a couple of follow up sprays three days apart are a good preventative measure if nothing else. That will help get the ones you missed the first round and many of the newly hatched ones as well.

Good luck. I call them 'thrip bastards' . :(

Oh I’m def gonna grow outside (again) My previous two were very neglected, then the monsoon wind and rain came straight out of the west and killed them. In a couple of months I’m going to plant some autos and get them out to start on a SE through SW facing balcony. Move to the SW - NW balcony for flower. Autos because the days don’t really vary in length in the tropics. Probably do 4 SIPs in LOS.
Hey there @NickHardy ... Did someone go to Dervish and Banges and get a spell to cast on you? (bad joke, I know) I thought that might've happened, now that you're scheming to grow outdoors. :rofl:
A bit more hands off compared to the room and tents I hope!
Yes! And so much cheaper too.
Looking forward to getting the soil together.
A witches brew for sure! LOL
Would love I had a spot to put them in an ‘ole in the ground though!
Pots are still good though.
Thank you... :smokin:

She looks happier now. :thumb:
I purchased an electric sprayer the other day.
Those bugs are a nightmare. :rolleyes:
Keep on her don't let them come back.
Take care.

Bill284 😎
I do plan on continuing the sprayings to keep them from coming back, just as you said.

Fun, fun, fun... :smokin:

Thrips aren't typically that easy to rid yourself of. They can lay eggs  inside the plant where they are generally immune from a foliar spray. And that's assuming you got every last one of them the one spray that was effective. Not likely as they can hide in s,all crevasses.

So, as Bill said, keel an eye out. Better yet, a couple of follow up sprays three days apart are a good preventative measure if nothing else. That will help get the ones you missed the first round and many of the newly hatched ones as well.

Good luck. I call them 'thrip bastards' . :(
Thank you for the reminder @Azimuth . I plan to do just that. Yeah, I don't like those bastards either.

Thanx for the "luck"... :smokin:

Yes! And so much cheaper too.
Double double bubble toil and trouble,
Soil cook and caldron bubble
Lights of a sodium make
In the caldron boil and bake
Crap of worm and toe of frog,
Wool of bat and tongue of fly
Mossies bite and blind-worm's skin
Perlite white and bloody win
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

Yeah it will be a breeze…

Double double bubble toil and trouble,
Soil cook and caldron bubble
Lights of a sodium make
In the caldron boil and bake
Crap of worm and toe of frog,
Wool of bat and tongue of fly
Mossies bite and blind-worm's skin
Perlite white and bloody win
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

Yeah it will be a breeze…
Hey... You're pretty good at that. :rofl: This reminds me of when I used to mix my soil with tons of ingredients and have to cook them in trash cans out in the sun for months, turning regularly and breaking my back in the process. It's so much easier these days with @GeoFlora Nutrients .

Speaking of spells and witchcraft, I sure wish I could magically stop this heatwave... UGH! It's been triple digits here all month long. And the bad thing is, every strain I tried to grow this season has had a rough time with heat stress. I've lost 3 of my 4 plants already... and my last girl is struggling now too. And it doesn't help that all of the strains I chose to grow this season are new to me, so I have no historical knowledge with them in my local environment. Next season I'm going back to strains that have proven themselves to grow well for me here. Live and learn, I guess.
I'm sure getting tired of those words... :smokin:

A brief check-in:

I've been swamped with other obligations, so couldn't post. Now I'm dealing with a bad reaction to a root canal. Hurts too much to even sit at the computer. Pics and comments to come soon. I just need to get over this root canal situation.

L8R! :smokin:
Oh no.:rolleyes:
You poor soul.
That hurts like a mf.o_O
Had a couple root canals, last one the tooth broke in half.
Do you have rso or any concentrates?
Might help with the pain.

Bill284 😎

Back
Top Bottom