Help! Have no idea what’s going on with my girls!

DISCLAIMER: Not growing in soil, not an expert, trying to understand something on the back of the answers Im reading

Im a bit puzzled .. I might not understand EC correctly .. on my GH (TA, but its the same) it states to use a lower EC for soil, like .2 lower or so, compared to hydro.

In my same bottles, 2.6 is the high end of the recommendation, not the low end. The high end, to my understanding, applies to CO2 supplied environments with optimal conditions and then some.

I would think that this might be lockout due to excess in the medium, given that high EC value that you get at with 1300ppm, but the consensus seems to be its not enough yet? Can someone help me understand?

DISCLAIMER: Not growing in soil, not an expert, trying to understand something on the back of the answers Im reading

Im a bit puzzled .. I might not understand EC correctly .. on my GH (TA, but its the same) it states to use a lower EC for soil, like .2 lower or so, compared to hydro.

In my same bottles, 2.6 is the high end of the recommendation, not the low end. The high end, to my understanding, applies to CO2 supplied environments with optimal conditions and then some.

I would think that this might be lockout due to excess in the medium, given that high EC value that you get at with 1300ppm, but the consensus seems to be its not enough yet? Can someone help me understand?
keep to the recommended nutrients, but change the pH to 6.3. It will make a huge difference. That, and putting the Magnesium in first, will work wonders.

keep to the recommended nutrients, but change the pH to 6.3. It will make a huge difference. That, and putting the Magnesium in first, will work wonders.
So magnesium first then boost? Mix before adding water? Thanks! I also Don’t believe this to be over or under watering to be honest. I usually wait until leaves start to tell me they need water.

So magnesium first then boost? Mix before adding water? Thanks! I also Don’t believe this to be over or under watering to be honest. I usually wait until leaves start to tell me they need water.
DO NOT MIX BEFORE adding water... fill the bucket half way and add the mag... then continue on with the rest. It is the water that supplies the oxygen that makes the magic happen.

I think that is a rule that is written in stone somewhere on a tablet... yes, magnesium must go in first or it can turn into a form of magnesium that becomes inert in your bucket... like it wasnt even in there. Mixing with water first turns it into magnesium oxide with an extra atom and ready to attach to the soil and be available to the plant.
You’ve got to be shitting me… I honestly hadn’t heard that before.
Is this also true with MC?

You’ve got to be shitting me… I honestly hadn’t heard that before.
Is this also true with MC?
of course... if you put magnesium into a bucket of nutes, any sulfur in the mix will combine with the magnesium, making magnesium sulfide (epsom salt), not so easily gotten into the plants. Magnesium will also react to calcium and chlorine, making fairly stable elements that are too big to be absorbed. Magnesium is one of those things that will combine with many many things and there are over 300 different molecules that can be formed as they mix with magnesium. We want Magnesium oxide, so we add it first to the water.

Most all growers will put little cal mag. During there grow. Phosphate, calcium magnesium, nitrogen, all this elements that's in dirt needs to be in the dirt. It's the pH and humidity that give people issues. And mites and much much more. Like my dirt. Lacks few things so I add it to water ever so when needs. Why they have feeding schedule and all. It's not easy . It's no different than farmer in the crops farming corn and such.

IMG_20220113_220956.jpg

of course... if you put magnesium into a bucket of nutes, any sulfur in the mix will combine with the magnesium, making magnesium sulfide (epsom salt), not so easily gotten into the plants. Magnesium will also react to calcium and chlorine, making fairly stable elements that are too big to be absorbed. Magnesium is one of those things that will combine with many many things and there are over 300 different molecules that can be formed as they mix with magnesium. We want Magnesium oxide, so we add it first to the water.
This *edit (might) explain why my past couple of grows keep having Mag deficiencies. I never really used CalMag heavily until my past 3 runs.

Well shit! Lol!

I just noticed this yesterday and was scratching my head because I’ve been hitting 4g MC, 4mL Si, 4mL Cal Mag+.
FA5A48C3-DA89-4E57-9A84-0ED8B52265DF.jpeg
5ADE0CFD-C4BF-45A8-935B-CDC8091C8FFC.jpeg

This morning I bumped my MC to 4.5 thinking that might be the issue and last night I did a foliage spray with the Cal Mag. I’m about a week or so from flip, but wanted to get this deficiency under control first.

This new soil is really tough to figure out. The wet dry cycle is completely different than any soil I’ve experienced. I changed my lights, the soil brand, introduced Si and CalMag in every feed, so I’ve been in a panic this whole grow.

Man!…
Thanks @Emilya for that little golden nugget. I’ve been pretty confused the past few runs, hence running a different soil. I trust what you say, and the more I think about it, I’ve been supplementing CalMag incorrectly for… well every time I’ve mixed it with anything else. Years…

She sure is pretty though.
60451C1A-AA61-4210-B9BB-61C29CC6E925.jpeg

....Magnesium is one of those things that will combine with many many things and there are over 300 different molecules that can be formed as they mix with magnesium. We want Magnesium oxide, so we add it first to the water.
Thank you for the explaining the reasoning behind adding the Cal-Mag product first. Between this msg and the earlier ones in the thread it falls into place.

Again, thanks.

Now on to the next msg below.....

I have the feeling that you confused @PlanetJ's message (msg #21) with the original poster who is the person growing in soil. Planetj is not growing in soil, thou. It has to be some sort of hydro or soil-less so shouldn't the correct pH to shoot for be 5.8 if at all possible?

Or, maybe I missed something pH related with the mentioning of EC in the msg. Another reason that I don't grow in hydro or soil-less even though those methods are fascinating.

Thank you for the explaining the reasoning behind adding the Cal-Mag product first. Between this msg and the earlier ones in the thread it falls into place.

Again, thanks.

Now on to the next msg below.....
Glad to have helped some..

We don’t measure EC or ppm in soil…

@Rexer could may help out on the Hydro side of things.

I understand that CO2 is good, but needs to be ran in higher temperatures to work effectively. That’s was enough for me to stop researching using it. Lol!

We don’t measure EC or ppm in soil…

@Rexer could may help out on the Hydro side of things.

I understand that CO2 is good, but needs to be ran in higher temperatures to work effectively. That’s was enough for me to stop researching using it. Lol!

Hi @PlanetJ That's a great question- and one worthy of its own thread. I'd rather not hijack the OPs thread on help with his grow. Though regarding the PH, 5.5 for hydroponics unless otherwise stated by the manufacturer. There's a thread in my signature with some great reading if your interested.

Quick question @Emilya - about the mixing of nutrients order.
Regarding the rule of magnesium first, would Silicate (I think the OP was using armor Si?) supplements go before magnesium? My understanding was that it should go first and be given an hour or so to form a proper bond. Serious question, especially the hour part.

Thanks for the great information on the magnesium oxide, I'll have to try to remember that part.

Quick question @Emilya - about the mixing of nutrients order.
Regarding the rule of magnesium first, would Silicate (I think the OP was using armor Si?) supplements go before magnesium? My understanding was that it should go first and be given an hour or so to form a proper bond. Serious question, especially the hour part.

Thanks for the great information on the magnesium oxide, I'll have to try to remember that part.
Hi Rexer! I have heard that it takes even longer than that to properly mix Si... like 24 hours. I would do that in a separate bucket, and still mix the Mg directly with water. Its an instantaneous reaction, so as soon as that was done, the bucket of Si water could be added to the mix.

Hi Rexer! I have heard that it takes even longer than that to properly mix Si... like 24 hours. I would do that in a separate bucket, and still mix the Mg directly with water. Its an instantaneous reaction, so as soon as that was done, the bucket of Si water could be added to the mix.
Thanks Emilya! It's nice to have that confirmed and thank you for the bonus tip on how to do it.

And the 24hr part kinda blew my mind. :thedoubletake:

Thanks Emilya! It's nice to have that confirmed and thank you for the bonus tip on how to do it.

And the 24hr part kinda blew my mind. :thedoubletake:
Thank both of you. Rex for bringing it up, and Em for the answer+.

I just started using Si with this run in conjunction with CalMag, so this changes my feeding processes completely.

Another question. These are in Veg. They were in solo cups until a week ago. (Ran them in way longer than expected). Any ideas what could be going on here with the deficiencies? Using Technaflora, boost, grow, magical. Any help appreciated

A8076138-AE43-4527-858B-6F3708778079.png

Back
Top Bottom