Help please: Bright green leaves

dmoney4201 said:
you know what is funny, i had seen that "active air" meter at home depot and though it was to good to be true for the $10 bucks it cost....i still have the $11 credit from the soil tester i returned....i will surely pick that up now.
thanks for the feedback:thumb:

Cool! Just don't leave it stuck in the pot for more than 10 minutes! That seems to screw them up. Probably a chemical reaction with soil enzymes or nutes.

They can be off by a few 10ths but close enough for me. Definitely close enough to tell you if you are slipping into the 5s where you definitely don't want to be! ;)

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

hey goldengoose....i'm trying to have patience... but the plant is just looking worse now everyday....hasn't had any growth in about a week and now the yellowish leaves at the top are browning at the tips and the fan blade leaf edges are curling.... i have 4 baby seedling growing next to it.

do you think i should just wait it out or will this plant effect my little seedlings growth?

i feel like crying-lol (just kidding)-lol

this picture was from my original post:
PA0115341.jpg

now about 6 day after the photo was taken:
PA051541.jpg

lower vegitation is still green but new growth has stopped:
PA051542.jpg

You have an extreme case of chlorosis it is a lack of iron getting to the plant. A couple things can cause this, the most likely one is pH IMHO. Excess copper can also cause iron lockout, if you are not using filtered water this is a possibility but much less likely.

This is what I would reccomend, if you do this do nothing else like Golden said you have to choose.

1. Flush with 3x the pot volume of filtered (RO preferably, but if you have to pay for distilled) pH 6.5 water. Pour slowly or you are wasting your time.

2. Top dress with 1/4 cup of dolomite lime per gallon of container size. So 3 gallon pots would get 3/4 of a cup. Scratch up the first inch or two of soil and sprinkle it in then push the soil back over, it will be wet so a little messy.

3. Give a half strength watering of your nutes and if possible a wide spectrum trace element additive like azamax, should be available in your local store. If not your ferts should have some Fe in it.. I hope.

Did you check the pH of the soil yet?

If you fed it those nutes and this is the result, then it looks like the soil has soured on you. Can you transplant it into a larger pot using some fresh quality potting soil like Happy Frog or something? At this point I would recommend the following action:

1) Get yourself a 4-5 gallon pot.
2) Buy some "LIquinox Start" B1 transplant solution
3) Pick up some quality potting soil free of added nutes. Happy Frog or Fox Farm Ocean Forest is good.
4) Transplant into this larger soil volume and water the root ball with B1 solution before you place the contents of your current pot into the larger pot.

Something is messed up with your soil pH and a transplant is probably your only course of action now. Unfortunately, it is very hard to diagnose these things using just photos and such. Too much time passes between updates and we loose hints you usually need to make the next call.

It still looks like a nitrogen deficiency, but none of what you are feeding it is getting to the roots. Has the plant been subjected to any kind of heat at the pot level?

I'm tempted to recommend a Clearex flush at this point, but I hate to be swamping you with too many things to do at once. A good flush wouldn't hurt though, but a transplant will accomplish the same thing eventually provided that the roots have not been damaged somehow.

Maer: I have seen N dificiency a few times that presents with yellowing new growth. The plant is definitely struggling to get what it needs from the soil its now in.

I have never seen N deficiency that causes intervieniel chlorosis. N deficiency the whole leaf yellows at ones because the plant has chosen to sacrifice it and "eat" it.

That said, both solutions will work but I would add dolomite to what GG said.

What is your light source and how far away is it? What is your room temp High and Low? Please give the brand of the fert you are using so I can see if it has any trace element content.

i am using 4 27watt daylight CFL's @5000k each....at one point i had 3 going with the 4th being a 14watt soft white 2700k.

with all 4 27watts the temp is at 80-84, never higher then 84.4 degrees...
with the 3 cfl and 1 cfl soft white the temps were around 78-82 degrees...

i planted in miracle gro potting mix...the bag says on the back NPK 0.21-0.07-0.14

i put 1.5" of the rocks at the bottom for drainage...then some on top for humidity....

now the fertilized water i use a free singles pack of miracle grow all purpose food the nursary gave me...NPk 24-8-16

for the first watering i put 1/4 of the mix water per 16oz of spring water, things went great the first week of the transplant....
the plant had little to no shock and double in size within the week.

it was the second week in the new pot that i really started to see things go bad.

P9221425.jpg

Did you check the pH of the soil yet?

If you fed it those nutes and this is the result, then it looks like the soil has soured on you. Can you transplant it into a larger pot using some fresh quality potting soil like Happy Frog or something? At this point I would recommend the following action:

1) Get yourself a 4-5 gallon pot.
2) Buy some "LIquinox Start" B1 transplant solution
3) Pick up some quality potting soil free of added nutes. Happy Frog or Fox Farm Ocean Forest is good.
4) Transplant into this larger soil volume and water the root ball with B1 solution before you place the contents of your current pot into the larger pot.

Something is messed up with your soil pH and a transplant is probably your only course of action now. Unfortunately, it is very hard to diagnose these things using just photos and such. Too much time passes between updates and we loose hints you usually need to make the next call.

It still looks like a nitrogen deficiency, but none of what you are feeding it is getting to the roots. Has the plant been subjected to any kind of heat at the pot level?

I'm tempted to recommend a Clearex flush at this point, but I hate to be swamping you with too many things to do at once. A good flush wouldn't hurt though, but a transplant will accomplish the same thing eventually provided that the roots have not been damaged somehow.

Maer: I have seen N dificiency a few times that presents with yellowing new growth. The plant is definitely struggling to get what it needs from the soil its now in.

Thanks GG for all the help here.....well my wife is picking me up that ph meter today after she get out of work...so still no reading on my Ph yet....i'm thinking the transplant is gunna happen ASAP. now i'm worried i'm gunna do the same thing to my 4 little seedlings....i might transplant them after about a week into the soil mix you suggested so i wont have the same problem. what do you think? or should i wait to see the Ph be4 i do anything?

Thanks GG for all the help here.....well my wife is picking me up that ph meter today after she get out of work...so still no reading on my Ph yet....i'm thinking the transplant is gunna happen ASAP. now i'm worried i'm gunna do the same thing to my 4 little seedlings....i might transplant them after about a week into the soil mix you suggested so i wont have the same problem. what do you think? or should i wait to see the Ph be4 i do anything?

Thanks Man!

I would wait till you can check the soil pH. I am assuming that it is going to be on the low side. Into the mid 5s or so.

Good to start planning your next move though. The GDP plant I just harvested ran into some soil problems about a month ago, and all of my usual techniques were not helping to correct the problem. I finally bit the bullet and transplanted the 32" tall plant from a 10 gallon pot into a 25 gallon pot! It was NOT EASY I can tell you, but it saved the plant!

Go check my journal if you get a chance to see the most recent photos I took just before and after the harvest! :)

well unfortunatly my plant has gone on to better places:rip:....i had a PH around 6.7.... i still went for the transplant though i things couldn't have gone worst for me. transplanting from the big pot wasn't easy for me and i'm pretty sure i ended up torturing those roots. i have 4 little sprouts i'm tending to now and i just hope things go alittle better this time....i hope to at least hit flowering this time:bitingnails:....thank you all for the helpful tips. im sure i'll have many more questions:thanks:

well unfortunatly my plant has gone on to better places:rip:....i had a PH around 6.7.... i still went for the transplant though i things couldn't have gone worst for me. transplanting from the big pot wasn't easy for me and i'm pretty sure i ended up torturing those roots. i have 4 little sprouts i'm tending to now and i just hope things go alittle better this time....i hope to at least hit flowering this time:bitingnails:....thank you all for the helpful tips. im sure i'll have many more questions:thanks:

Really sorry to hear this! Unfortunately, this does happen to even the most experienced growers sometimes.

At least you will be aware of what to look for next time if you run into the same issues. Its always a learning experience when growing anything for the first time. You might want to look into buying yourself a few Air Pots and pack them with Coco instead of regular soil. I grew my POTM second place for July Blue Cheese in 100% Coco and it turned out great! Wasn't even in an Air Pot!

Really sorry to hear this! Unfortunately, this does happen to even the most experienced growers sometimes.

At least you will be aware of what to look for next time if you run into the same issues. Its always a learning experience when growing anything for the first time. You might want to look into buying yourself a few Air Pots and pack them with Coco instead of regular soil. I grew my POTM second place for July Blue Cheese in 100% Coco and it turned out great! Wasn't even in an Air Pot!

do you happend to know if there is a thread or somewhere to get more info on using air pots with coco? thats sounds interesting....once again much appreciated for all the help:thanks:

do you happend to know if there is a thread or somewhere to get more info on using air pots with coco? thats sounds interesting....once again much appreciated for all the help:thanks:

We discussed it for a bit in my journal, and then there was an actual thread that DeBudman made that I, and several other Air Pot users responded to.

Click HERE for that thread.

Cool! Just don't leave it stuck in the pot for more than 10 minutes! That seems to screw them up. Probably a chemical reaction with soil enzymes or nutes.

They can be off by a few 10ths but close enough for me. Definitely close enough to tell you if you are slipping into the 5s where you definitely don't want to be! ;)

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

Hey Goldengoose you seem to know a bit about them green soil testers.
I got one the other day and I tested some house plants and it seemed to be working ok, Then I tested my water and it showed neutral, which was no shock.

But then I added some vinegar so watch it go more acidic and it shot up on the alkaline side, I did it again with new water and 3 different vinegars, and it went alkaline again. Is it a faulty tester or did the water break it with it being a soil tester.
I'd appreciate any feedback, is a soil tester a water tester basically.:Namaste:

I got one the other day and I tested some house plants and it seemed to be working ok, Then I tested my water and it showed neutral, which was no shock.

But then I added some vinegar so watch it go more acidic and it shot up on the alkaline side, I did it again with new water and 3 different vinegars, and it went alkaline again. Is it a faulty tester or did the water break it with it being a soil tester.
I'd appreciate any feedback, is a soil tester a water tester basically.:Namaste:

really good question i was wonder about myself....i'm glad i didnt try this yet just incase. i was thinking of buying another style test just to have 2 different readings to compare too.

I've never tried doing what you just described. I always put mine in a glass of our tap water along with my HM DIGITAL PH-200 meter to check how close they are. Our well water is always around 7.0 give or take a few tenths either way. The Active Air Soil tester measured the same pH as the PH-200 within about .3 points which I believe is that device's spec.

The last Active Air I purchased arrived only a few days ago so I still remember exactly what the above comparison test yielded.

The PH-200 read the water at 7.0

The Active Air measured that same water at 7.3

Sounds to me like you have a defective meter, or the acids you are using is somehow confusing the meter. I'm pretty sure it isn't designed to meaure super high concentrations in either direction. The meter is designed to be stuck into soil not into a fluid, so that could be part of the problem with it getting confused.

Thanks goldengoose man, think i'll take it back and swap it for another.

Cool.

Keep in mind what I said about it not being designed to test fluids. Adding a lot of acid to water may just be a way to cause the meter to malfunction. That would mean any Active Air meter you try this on.

Back
Top Bottom