Help with possible Nutrient Deficiency

Thanks everyone. I thought the slightly burnt tips on some of the leaves might indicate excessive nutrients, so I guess it's a coin toss but I am starting to lean to a deficiency as Emilya suggests. I did contact GG about top dressing and surprisingly they suggested about 3tbls of Power Bloom per 3 gallon every week which is about 3x the feed rate suggested on the instructions.

I thought that was excessive and dropped to about 1tbl, but in hindsight I should have gone the other way. I suppose it's because the majority of the ingredients are slow release so hit the plant hard with lot's is probably the only way when you only have about 6 weeks for things to break down.

Did a flush and fertilized with GH 3 part recipe + cal/mag for bloom at around 1100ppm. Should know in a week or so if deficiency was a issue.

I have never measured the run off, never thought it was important as it was supposed to be a organic grow, and the soil will naturally gravitate to about 7.0. I just pH the water close to the 6.3 mark.

Five days later after the healthy dose of GH. Certainly greened up, as EmilyA and others pointed out, starving for nutes.

20200104_012715.jpg

Question, is ffof organic and if yes why do you Ph it?

I've been recently using pro mix hp, pro mix herbs and veggies, some compost and Gaia green with amazing results.

Also its my understanding that when feeding the organic supersoil you need to wait for the microbes to break down nutrients so it's available for the plant. If shit goes wrong you can always flush it and use bottled nutes, that way at least you have more control

I've been recently using pro mix hp, pro mix herbs and veggies, some compost and Gaia green with amazing results.

Also its my understanding that when feeding the organic supersoil you need to wait for the microbes to break down nutrients so it's available for the plant. If shit goes wrong you can always flush it and use bottled nutes, that way at least you have more control
If something goes wrong then the rinsing out of the soil will help get rid of the excessive fertilizing salts that might have been added. If the soil is an organic supersoil like you mentioned then the microbes and other living things in the soil will start back up working on releasing the nutrients in the soil. Talking hours not weeks. Unless there is something wrong with the soil, or the container is way to small, there should be no need to worry about using bottled nutrients.

FFOF is a great soil, but it is NOT a mineralized super soil. Since it has not been loaded up with extra calcium, potassium and phosphorus, it alone can not fully support a blooming weed's needs. You can do as I did and use the FFOF as a base to build your supersoil, but alone it is not going to allow you to go organic as a method to grow your plants.
Organic in our world does not just mean natural... it refers to using active microbes to break down a mineralized soil and provide everything the plants need. If you don't have the raw nutrients needed, those microbes can not survive and the feeding cycle breaks down.
So why do we pH adjust our fluids that hit our FFOF soil? We do it so that synthetic nutes that we might apply to that soil will be in the correct pH range so as to be able to become mobile. We only pH if we are using nutes that require it. It has nothing to do with whether the soil is natural (organic) or not.

And as I experienced and Emilya mentioned top dressing mid way though with GG just wasn't effective as the bulk of the minerals and ingredients need time to break down. Soil probably would be brimming with life and available nutrients way past flower.

So a bit off topic but could one create a super soil variation by adding a certain amount of the GG power bloom and General fertilizer into a base mix, keeping the mix moist with a molasses solution and let it cook for a couple months before use? Their ingredients tend to mirror a lot of the super soil amendments.

Annotation 2020-01-04 134421.jpg

Annotation 2020-01-04 1342421.jpg

And as I experienced and Emilya mentioned top dressing mid way though with GG just wasn't effective as the bulk of the minerals and ingredients need time to break down. Soil probably would be brimming with life and available nutrients way past flower.

So a bit off topic but could one create a super soil variation by adding a certain amount of the GG power bloom and General fertilizer into a base mix, keeping the mix moist with a molasses solution and let it cook for a couple months before use? Their ingredients tend to mirror a lot of the super soil amendments.

I suppose you could do it that way, but it sort of defeats the whole idea of building a soil from scratch using organic materials. I think in the long run, especially if you are going to do teas later on using those natural materials, it would be much cheaper and better to not use the processed nutrients and just buy those raw components to add in. I did that years ago and I still have a lot of that original purchase here, ready to amend my soil with periodically as I use it. I have been using the same supersoil for 7 years because of these original purchases.

Hmm, as I understand it, none of the ingredients in the GG line would be synthetic, no more than I would think if purchased separately. For me it's just using up what I have already. Unfortunately I am limited to a small cabinet grow and even a 3gallon pot pushes it for room. Think my biggest limiting factor is the pot size, the roots move so fast and will consume quickly any available nutrients. I understand that Coots recipe recommends a minimum of a 10-15 gallon pot size. Seems for organic the bigger the pot the better.

Well I think there is quite possible a lockout or deficiency of some sort. About 5 days from harvest so perhaps it's somewhat normal for this strain of White Widow. The buds are quite firm and frosty, so must have done something right <lol>

Attachments

• 20200215_170713.jpg
    20200215_170713.jpg
    929.6 KB · Views: 52
  • 20200215_170721.jpg
    20200215_170721.jpg
    824.7 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom