Help with possible Nutrient Deficiency

NewToTHC

Hello:

Not the first time this issue crops up. I do well in vegetation until transition and then things always seem to go sideways. I am in the second week of flower. I am not sure if it is nutrient overload or deficiency. It's a micro grow setup, for this grow it is a White Widow strain in Ocean Forest soil (2.5 gallon pot with some perlite added).

I top dress with Gaia Green organic fertilizers such as the 4-4-4 and the Power Bloom 2-8-4 along with Kelp Meal every second week or so since about the 4th week of vegetation, around a tablespoon each. I pH the water to around 6.2-6.4 and use about 1tsp of Blackstrap molasses in 2 litres every time I water. I have done some foliar sprays with a weak solution of cal-mag as I think it's a magnesium deficiency. I am wondering if perhaps the lighting is to intense ?. Using a Spider Farm SP1000 Quantum board about 16 inches from the scrog screen, the foliage seems a little weak and undersized?.

Any suggestions, or can anyone identify a deficiency or toxicity.

Attachments

• 20200101_012414.jpg
    20200101_012414.jpg
    1,016.8 KB · Views: 161
  • 20200101_012423.jpg
    20200101_012423.jpg
    811.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 20200101_012434.jpg
    20200101_012434.jpg
    964.4 KB · Views: 150
We run similar programs except I use 7gal pots and don't foliar spray. The lights are great, def not the issue unless you're lowering them too close to canopy. Maybe try up potting. How often you watering? I don't use bottled nutes. Just use a lot of dirt.

Unfortunately I don't have enough room for a 7 gallon pot, micro grow and the space is only about 16 x 16. I understand with organic the bigger the pot the better as the volume of soil acts like a battery for nutrients, the roots just move to the nutrient rich areas.

I water when ever the pot feels fairly light, around every 3 to 4 days.

Hi and thanks for shout out. If top dressing with GG every 2 to 3 weeks and watering every 3 to 4 days and you are seeing issues everytime in grow around week 1 or 2 flower. I would say IMO the soil is having a hard time a good brew/tea around flip will rejuvenate soil with fresh microbials and should do you till harvest. With GG you need to still keep soil active with teas as it is lacking in this area.

I am unsure what is in the FF ocean mix as I use ProMix-HP and worm castings. But if you are getting almost full range of deficiencies around this time every grow. I believe the substrate is the issue here.

But i am a new grower not not expert please wait for another opinion

I grew my first one with just GG amendments and no teas and had moderate success ran into deficiencies around same time and had lots of yellow dying leaves and low yeild.

That when I did my research and found out that the substrate was inactive. Next u added the teas ( 2 i did 1 in veg and one in week 1 flower ). Increased yeild and less dying leaves.

Now I have dropped the power bloom and I use RAW supplements and seeing huge difference in all aspects. My substrate healthier as well as plants.

How close are your lights? That looks kinda like what it looks like when I don't remember to pull my lights up. If you are using cal/mag only sparingly as a foliar spray I could see that being a deficiency issue. I put 3tsp of cal/mag in every gallon of water I pour. CHeers, good luck! :yahoo:

Skip the molasses. Your plants look over-fed to me. Water more frequently and get a fan in there if you have some room. Transpiration is how the plants up take nutrients from the soil and you likely need more soil.

Organic growing is soil + water.

@Emilya @Amy Gardner I think you two could bring separate but equally needed information here if you have the time.
Sure... will be glad to help. The problem is in the implementation of the organic feeding cycle. Top dressing with raw nutrients is not nearly as helpful as you might think it is as only the water soluble nutrients in the kelp meal are actually available to the plant without further processing by microbes in the soil. The 4-4-4 is probably what is keeping your plants alive, providing the only full spectrum nutrition available at the moment.
The problem is that you are expecting to get minerally enriched super soil performance out of FFOF, and the raw ingredients simply are not there. Even if you were to supply microbes using URB, Voodoo Juice, RealGrower Recharge, or brewing your own compost teas, there are no raw minerals in there to speak of, certainly not enough to feed your plant much past late veg, the exact point you begin to have difficulties. If you were running in a minerally enriched supersoil at least in a portion of that container, all of the things you are doing, the molasses would be helping, but as it is your soil just isn't equipped for the job. I would suggest switching over to a good nute program at this point to get this grow completed and then next time look into the supersoil idea as a bottom layer in your containers so you can go completely organic.

Back
Top Bottom