Hempy - OC+ - CFLs & 3 Good Seeds

re: Hempy - OC+ - CFLs & 3 Good Seeds

Hey Blue! I haven't been around in awhile but your plants are looking healthy :thumb:
Thanks for all the great info about hempies and such. I thought I might add, I got a 2 pack of eva drys on amazon and I think it was $25. I believe Bandit got his at his local hydro shop but he can tell you better than I can of course. I really like your boat cloner! I'm gonna have to go back a few pages to read about that.

Hey Hydro thanks for the info! Always good to see you visiting :)

Nothing to my boat cloner, it's just styrofoam cups, a tub, rainwater and an airstone. I put some superthrive and pondzyme in the water and change it when it gets scuzzy, about 1x per week.

I used to get the real small cups but now I get the next size up, they hold the plugs better. 12oz maybe? You can do this fine without plugs too, just poke a hole in the bottom. I cut out a square in the bottom, push the plug most of the way through, let it get good and wet and then insert the cutting. It's worked out great for me, biggest problem is I keep taking them out too soon. Temps in 70's to low 80's, my rH is rising but still just in the high 30's. Sometimes I mist them but I think they get droplets from the bursting bubbles.

I'm sure it was me that messed something up. Dont get me wrong I'm not trying to blame Nirvana or the beans or anything, every White Widow and White Castle bean I've planted has sprouted, and actually looked gorgeous most of the way through veg. It just seems the white strains dont like me much once they get to flowering, while the Wonder Women look perfect, outside of some excessive stretching which was again my fault.

I did take some clones off the White Castle and will try them in the hempy with OC+ so I'll see how that goes.

So far those 3 strains are the only ones I've gotten. Thinkin AK-48 and Bubblelicious for a future order.

My grow motto is that if the girls aren't happy with OC+ and perlite they're probably in big trouble :morenutes: I don't have a clue what to do then.

My bubbleicious clones are looking awesome, they're budding all over and frosty. The best of the bunch right now, the golds are bigger but have a lot more filling in to do. And I can't wait to see how the ak48 clones do when I size them right, hopefully starting with the 3 in the tub. :peace:

its an eco plus pump...works great...with 30 plants u may want a bigger pump ...stealth hydro has a 12 site irrigation manifold..:tokin:

Hey Blue I know you've been getting a lot of good ideas regarding your auto-water, and being a plumber I'm surprised I haven't had any for you yet...What you're dealing with is kind of plumbing, and kind of hydronics, I do both but mostly plumbing...

The concept of keeping equal flow to each port in the manifold, will rely largely on the placement of the "main" in relation to the outlets, or ports on said manifold. In other words, you'll want a "T", in the middle of the manifold to ensure that the water is distributed evenly....however....

I think this is a bit much in ther way of, well, thinking. I think you can avoid the whole problem of over watering, not by trying to engineer the drip system so much, and change the drainage system to compensate for the excess water...

Say you have all your 2-Ls in a tray, no specific size. That tray could be placed on some sort of riser, bricks or something. Those bricks, with the tray and 2ls on top of them, could then sit into another tray. The tray with your plants would only need some 1/2" holes drilled in the bottom to allow the water to drain into the lower tray...The lower tray could be deep enough to hold a decent amount of run off till you get back from your trip....That way you're not collecting too much water in the hempys?...Hmmm...I'm not sure any of that made sense...I better:lot-o-toke: some more and think this through before I actually say it....Oh it's too late? Oh well!!:goodluck:

Hey Blue I know you've been getting a lot of good ideas regarding your auto-water, and being a plumber I'm surprised I haven't had any for you yet...What you're dealing with is kind of plumbing, and kind of hydronics, I do both but mostly plumbing...

The concept of keeping equal flow to each port in the manifold, will rely largely on the placement of the "main" in relation to the outlets, or ports on said manifold. In other words, you'll want a "T", in the middle of the manifold to ensure that the water is distributed evenly....however....

I think this is a bit much in ther way of, well, thinking. I think you can avoid the whole problem of over watering, not by trying to engineer the drip system so much, and change the drainage system to compensate for the excess water...

Say you have all your 2-Ls in a tray, no specific size. That tray could be placed on some sort of riser, bricks or something. Those bricks, with the tray and 2ls on top of them, could then sit into another tray. The tray with your plants would only need some 1/2" holes drilled in the bottom to allow the water to drain into the lower tray...The lower tray could be deep enough to hold a decent amount of run off till you get back from your trip....That way you're not collecting too much water in the hempys?...Hmmm...I'm not sure any of that made sense...I better:lot-o-toke: some more and think this through before I actually say it....Oh it's too late? Oh well!!:goodluck:

I dont think over watering is the problem. With the medium used and the hole in the pot. I mean sure you dont want to waste too much water. What I would be a little more concerned with is under watering the containers at the end of the line. A Simple waste water fix is use a flood table that drains into a waste container thats at least as big as the feed rez.

Very cool man I love the idea of having clones just floating about, and bubble cloners seem to work very well. Can't wait to get me some perlite, OC+, and a bucket!

Can't wait for you to get going Hydro! I remember how excited I was getting reading Doc's hempy/oc+ grows and seeing his monster plants. I couldn't wait to get started either.

Check local organic nursery or hydro stores for perlite. I have Sunshine #4 it's perfect.

its an eco plus pump...works great...with 30 plants u may want a bigger pump ...stealth hydro has a 12 site irrigation manifold..:tokin:

Thanks ss I'm going to check it out. It could be up to 36 plants but not that much water, maybe 5-6 gallons per watering, and there would only be at most 2 waterings while I'm gone. It doesn't really matter how long it takes to do the watering. Do you think yours could handle that?

Hey Q thanks, you've given me some thoughts. I'm constantly amazed at the expertise in different areas that is represented here!

I really don't want anything one bit more complicated that it has to be. The plants don't have to get exactly the same amount but reasonably close. I'd like them all to get about 2 cups of water. Some runoff would be ok but the less the better, I'd like to have none. I basically just don't want the plants to die in the week I'm gone and I'll be happy.

Do you think my original idea of making all the lengths of tubing the same would work? Some plants of course would be further from the pump than others, but the closer plants would still have the same tube length to travel back to the pump. My thought was if all the water had to travel the same distance with the same resistance I should have equal flow to all 2L's. Appreciate your input my friend.

I dont think over watering is the problem. With the medium used and the hole in the pot. I mean sure you dont want to waste too much water. What I would be a little more concerned with is under watering the containers at the end of the line. A Simple waste water fix is use a flood table that drains into a waste container thats at least as big as the feed rez.

Thanks bro! Actually I'm concerned about both as I don't have a good way to do the flood control, but I probably need to think about that some more. Having a real flood in there while I'm gone would really suck.

I've got some time to work on this and get it right. It will be a huge asset for me.

Thanks everyone for your great ideas and help!

Good point, although I figure if one just watered the sh!t out of them so there is no undewatering, and plan around dealing with the waste water, it would be a non issue...But then when you say waste water you're talking about actually wasting water by over watering right?....Crap, I guess you'd have to store a lot to make that work huh?...That for me then brings to mind the ridiculous question, Can you run the used water through the plants multiple times?? I mean it's only for a week....or is that bad for the plants?

You could probably just put the hempys on a DIY flood & drain table that flooded above the level of the hempys' drain holes. The perlite would wick up whatever water it needed and you'd probably only need to flood it 2-3 times per week max to keep the girls alive.

So.... who's been scoping out good seed deals for tomorrow besides Chopper?

I was hoping Chopper would tell me what he was planning on doing exactly but he's a man of few words, and half the time I can't understand those few either :lot-o-toke:

j/k

Single Seed's freebies this month are fem'd from TH Seeds.

Burmese Kush - Or as we like to call it: BuKu! A quick flowering OG Kush! hybrid (7 weeks), that has that signature OG Kush! flavor and strength. The flavor of the BuKu! has a distinct citric edge that everyone enjoys.

Sage 'n' Sour - Bringing some West Coast haze flavor to an East Coast legend. SAGE has been TH Seeds #1 plant for 15 years and we are sure that Sage 'n' Sour will be one of yours.

Here's my current list, subject to lots of change without notice, 1 fem seed of each

Lucy, Jack Herer, PPP, Pineapple Chunk, Blackberry, Blue Cheese

That would be about $60 plus shipping.

TGA SubCool has some awesome strains but they're not fem'd, they're fairly expensive and I think you have to buy packs of at least 5. SSC doesn't carry them either, Attitude does. And I can never figure out their freebies.

So if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them. Something great that you had and you're reasonably sure what it was haha. Or good deals for tonight/tomorrow. It's 4/20 in Europe pretty soon now.

Do you think my original idea of making all the lengths of tubing the same would work? Some plants of course would be further from the pump than others, but the closer plants would still have the same tube length to travel back to the pump. My thought was if all the water had to travel the same distance with the same resistance I should have equal flow to all 2L's. Appreciate your input my friend.

QUOTE]

Yes I do believe that that would work, water will always take the path of least resistance...as long as the ports are the same size the outlet of water should be the same, although I dont know what effect the tapering of tube diameter would have...You should definitely consult with a sprinkler company, or buy a diy irrigation book at H.D....I did sprinkler installation when I was a kid, but dont remember much except for how to dig a ditch!!

Done and in Mr. Dawg...
I ordered Ace of Spades and Vortex from TGA Subcool. They are 20% off TGA stuff today. Ace of Spades is a brand new strain, Vortex has been wowing them out west for a bit. TGA males are one of my top choices to breed with this year
No, Sub does not Fem seeds. They beleive that is the ruination of seedstock. And they are correct. Fems are basicly Hermmed seed....meaning they will grow nutz if stressed. Not Good if you are a breeder. Since I make seed, I avoid them
Next I ordered California Wildfire from Emerald Triangle. E.T. was one of the freebie seed packs last order, and I really liked how the seed cracked and sprouted in 30 hours total. The Wildfire caught my eye
Lastly....I ordered a pack of Papaya. Seemed like the thing to do. The freebies were TH Seeds, both were some sort of Kush. The same as the SS offer I think. I didn't pay them a bunch of attention.
Well...guess that's my year.....Medusa and Master Kush, 10 ea from nirvana....Utopia Haze 10ea from Barneys....6ea ace of Spades and Vortex TGA Sub...10ea Wildfire from Emerald....1 ea of Syrup, White Dwarf, Quasar from Buddha...1ea. Super Sour OG, Emerald Jack, and Grapefruit Krush from Emerald Triangle.... 1ea Kushage and the other Kush from TH Seeds. I will be growing Lucy and Papaya as well. That's a bunch of seeds! :lot-o-toke:
'nuff words?? :)

Good point, although I figure if one just watered the sh!t out of them so there is no undewatering, and plan around dealing with the waste water, it would be a non issue...But then when you say waste water you're talking about actually wasting water by over watering right?....Crap, I guess you'd have to store a lot to make that work huh?...That for me then brings to mind the ridiculous question, Can you run the used water through the plants multiple times?? I mean it's only for a week....or is that bad for the plants?

Morning Q! I see where you're coming from but if possible I'd like to minimize the run-off. If I'm doing an ebb-n-flow or recyling run-off then I'd be adding another pump, res, etc. I've had a little side project growing just trying to stabilize ph for a week, and recycling the runoff will only complicate that. Guys do it all the time though, there's nothing wrong with it.

You could probably just put the hempys on a DIY flood & drain table that flooded above the level of the hempys' drain holes. The perlite would wick up whatever water it needed and you'd probably only need to flood it 2-3 times per week max to keep the girls alive.

Hey Mr. Krip this would definitely work and might even be an improvement on hempy growing, but it adds that complexity I'd like to avoid. Great idea though :peace:

Yes I do believe that that would work, water will always take the path of least resistance...as long as the ports are the same size the outlet of water should be the same, although I dont know what effect the tapering of tube diameter would have...You should definitely consult with a sprinkler company, or buy a diy irrigation book at H.D....I did sprinkler installation when I was a kid, but dont remember much except for how to dig a ditch!!

Haha I had a summer job with a company installing central a/c, all I learned was how to sweep up and carry stuff. I think step #1 is to buy a pump and some tubing and start experimenting. I'd try and keep the tapering as even as possible too. I'm sure there are issues I'm not even thinking of so far. Thanks for all the great thoughts my friends!

Done and in Mr. Dawg...
I ordered Ace of Spades and Vortex from TGA Subcool. They are 20% off TGA stuff today. Ace of Spades is a brand new strain, Vortex has been wowing them out west for a bit. TGA males are one of my top choices to breed with this year
No, Sub does not Fem seeds. They beleive that is the ruination of seedstock. And they are correct. Fems are basicly Hermmed seed....meaning they will grow nutz if stressed. Not Good if you are a breeder. Since I make seed, I avoid them
Next I ordered California Wildfire from Emerald Triangle. E.T. was one of the freebie seed packs last order, and I really liked how the seed cracked and sprouted in 30 hours total. The Wildfire caught my eye
Lastly....I ordered a pack of Papaya. Seemed like the thing to do. The freebies were TH Seeds, both were some sort of Kush. The same as the SS offer I think. I didn't pay them a bunch of attention.
Well...guess that's my year.....Medusa and Master Kush, 10 ea from nirvana....Utopia Haze 10ea from Barneys....6ea ace of Spades and Vortex TGA Sub...10ea Wildfire from Emerald....1 ea of Syrup, White Dwarf, Quasar from Buddha...1ea. Super Sour OG, Emerald Jack, and Grapefruit Krush from Emerald Triangle.... 1ea Kushage and the other Kush from TH Seeds. I will be growing Lucy and Papaya as well. That's a bunch of seeds! :lot-o-toke:
'nuff words?? :)

Morning Chopper! Thanks for the heads-up on SubCool, I'm trying to order but the invoice keeps screwing up, it's not showing the sale prices. Sent and email to Attitude. Since I'm not breeding I'd prefer the fem'd seeds but I see where he's coming from, and pollen from those plants would have to be awesome.

I'm leaning Vortex myself, although I'd be happy with either. I'll let you know how it turns out.

You're my hero now Chopper. You've got the strains and the place to grow them. It just gets better and better :yahoo:

Happy 420 BlueDog!!:Namaste:

Thanks Q! Happy 420 to you and all my visitors :Namaste:

the 264 gph pump should b ok ...:smokin:

Thanks for the info ss that pump is cheap! This is a dumb question I guess but are all the pumps like this submersibles?

I decided to go ahead and place an order through Single Seed Company

From Barney's Farm Tangerine Dream,
Red Dragon, Pineapple Chunk, Blue Cheese & Lucy

From Greenhouse Jack Herer

From Nirvana PPP

And the 2 freebies Burmese Kush & Sage n Sour from TH Seeds.

That should keep me out of trouble for a while :cheer:

the freebie list changed... 2 from Emerald....super sour og and Grapefruit Krush and 3 from Greenhouse...Super bud, Exodus Cheese, and Kalashnikova....no more Kush-es Fine by me....I got plenty o Kush now:lot-o-toke::peacetwo: Great choices Blue
Gonna Hempy that Tangerine? or are you gonna do it in dirt for that flavor?
:peacetwo::tokin::morenutes::morenutes::morenutes:

**Dropped the Quasar bean last night....it was just cracking an hour or so ago. 6 for 6....I'm buying a lotto tonight:goodluck:

the freebie list changed... 2 from Emerald....super sour og and Grapefruit Krush and 3 from Greenhouse...Super bud, Exodus Cheese, and Kalashnikova....no more Kush-es Fine by me....I got plenty o Kush now:lot-o-toke::peacetwo: Great choices Blue
Gonna Hempy that Tangerine? or are you gonna do it in dirt for that flavor?
:peacetwo::tokin::morenutes::morenutes::morenutes:

**Dropped the Quasar bean last night....it was just cracking an hour or so ago. 6 for 6....I'm buying a lotto tonight:goodluck:

Hey Chopper that's a great freebie list for you, I was real tempted. If I bought the Vortex I'd have also gotten 4 free seeds. I could have afforded one more 5 pack and that would have been it, so I'd have had 6 strains. Now I have 9, plus hopefully all females.

I'm going to take cuttings from the TD and try a few in soil and most in hempy. I'll try to do that with all of them.

You're rocking it down there. I can't get anything to germ lately, even the cherry tomatoes.

The concept of keeping equal flow to each port in the manifold, will rely largely on the placement of the "main" in relation to the outlets, or ports on said manifold. In other words, you'll want a "T", in the middle of the manifold to ensure that the water is distributed evenly

Hey Blue this is part of what I was trying to show you. Have the supply line feed the manifold from the center and then you have feeder tubes going to the plants.

The other part of this is that the manifold has to run PAST the last feeder tubes and then cap the manifold there. 3" longer would be fine. This insures that the manifold fills first and then the feeder tubes. This is how they plumb hot tubs to insure equal flow.

Thanks for the info ss that pump is cheap! This is a dumb question I guess but are all the pumps like this submersibles?

From Nirvana PPP

Nice seed purchase, Blue. I've always wanted to grow PPP but got a seed screw up (direct from Nirvana) that resulted in seeds that all ended up male (3/3 of them - were supposed to be feminized). Can't wait to see how you do with it. Pineapple Chunk intrigues me too, and I also have some Lucy for a future grow. Anyway - nice selection. Love it!

:rollit::partyboy::headbanger::goof::rocker::party:Happy 420 Day to you! :party::rocker::goof::headbanger::partyboy::rollit:

From Nirvana PPP

Hi Blue, happy 420.

Nice strains, more than a few are on my list.:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom